Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

All the gamefaqs-esque posts around here and other threads are so :psyduck:. As others have said people are expecting Sony and Microsoft's consoles to be quantum leaps in visuals, and they won't be. They're going to be "Run BF3 much better" consoles and compete with the Wii U fairly directly.

I can't wait for the backlash when those consoles come out, and they require you to buy them to play all the new slightly-better looking games.

I pre-ordered the Deluxe at my university's gamestop. Young adults instead of pissed off parents and anxious children, far shorter lines, etc.

And drat, I knew this console was going to do well but I didn't know it was going to run out of pre-orders 2 days in.

I don't have any data to back this up other than Square Enix's tech demo, FOX Engine, Watchdogs, and (hopefully) not needing to subsample games down to 1024 resolution to run at decent FPS, but, at this stage in graphics, the small details are EVERYTHING(volumetrics, physics, lighting/shadows). Wii-U will get eclipsed in those departments. BF3 is the tip of the iceberg.

Wii-U is cool on its own. You don't need to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I thought the fox engine was on current-gen? Watchdogs was also running on PC, and is slated for this gen. The only thing that looked really impossibly good was the rain and they'll probably tone that down on release (developers demo games on PCs all the time, it's a mean trick).

Square Enix's tech demo was CRAZY as gently caress though, and clearly intended for the next generation, as well as the Unreal Engine 4 stuff.

Watchdogs won't happen this gen. I do not care what they say. FOX Engine is scalable, but Project Ogre (or whatever it really is) is next gen. Ground Zeros was shown on a pc spec'd similar to a PS3 but, like Watchdogs, there is no way in hell that runs on a PS3 looking like that.

Watchdogs will be a launch title (or launch window) for next gen systems - I'll stick my neck out on that one.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
I just got the itch to start giving a poo poo about purchasing a Wii-U. Since preorders seem to be out, am I going to have to wait in line at midnight at this point?

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
Sums up Nintendo for me (the Graucho Marx part):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxlfvI17oY

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I would never want to be part of a club that'd have me as a member.

What're you trying to say here?

Response to this post:
"It's really weird that Nintendo, pioneer of analogue controls as they were, seems to have abandoned analogue for anything but sticks after the Gamecube."

They pioneer it, everyone else accepts it, then they abandon it because, well, gently caress conformity.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Is anyone really denying that Nintendo released a late seventh generation console?

The problem lies in what the eighth generation is supposed to look like and if the top end PC games have any indication it won't be a major leap. It won't even be an X-Box to 360 leap.

It is more powerful than a 360 or PS3 but not by much. The problem comes in with people trying to decide how much more powerful it is based on rush ports and first year games.

From where the industry seems to be going, Nintendo has released a console with current gen at current gen pricing while the next Sony and Microsoft consoles will have no choice but to increase the price of their consoles and the individual games in order for any developer to make a profit, thus making gamers decide whether they want to spend double on their gaming input every year just to have the top console tech.

EDIT: I'm going to keep this here but yeah end of discussion

I disagree about the visual difference between current and next gen. Battlefield 3 on PC at ultra settings is a HUGE leap over current gen and that game is a year old. Visually, it's practically a different game.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
Went to Target today after calling (and being told they had 28 units in stock). I get to the register, have them pull my games and start looking for the Deluxe console only to see some dude with a cart FULL of deluxe systems next to me. Zero games, just consoles.

All they had left were 20 standard consoles.

I asked them why they don't limit people like him from buying that many - she shrugged. There were 3 people in line (mostly kids with their parents), who left empty handed because of this scummy piece of poo poo.

gently caress.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the real question here is how fat was he and was his face a giant zit?

He was slightly skinnier than the dude in Borat (his sidekick). His son was there too (25+ years old), and they were taking up two registers to process the transactions.

I'm just going to wait for it to go back in stock on Wal Mart's site. Might check a store tomorrow, but this was just soul crushing (as soul crushing as not being able to buy a video game can be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
Got a deluxe from Target today. In complete love with this thing. The gamepad is outstanding and exceeds all of my expectations.

It froze once for me though, but I'm hoping they iron that stuff out soon.

Call me crazy, but this feels pretty "next gen."

• Locked thread