Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

According to Nintendo's website, these are launch day games, not launch window.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Rayman Legends

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Assassin's Creed III

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

Rabbids Land

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed

Madden NFL 13

NBA 2K13

Transformers Prime

Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013

Game Party Champions

ESPN Sports Connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What is this rhythm stuff people are talking about with Rayman? I've seen a video where they said some levels will be timed to music but from some people's complaints I gathered they were putting in full blown Parappa style Simon-says levels. Watching footage from PAX, the game looks even more absurd than Origins with one area being a giant rotating maze with spikes everywhere.

e: Are they talking about Michel Ancel and the "musical maps?" They're the auto-scrolling levels you see in every platformer except every action you take adds to the musical theme.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 16, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bland posted:

The complaining was sparked by claims from a developer that a "good portion" of the single player campaign of Rayman Legends would be controlling Murphy (pushing platforms and other rather mundane activities) whilst watching an AI Rayman do the platforming. The concept of the musical levels themselves is not something I've seen people get annoyed by

If that's the case that's indeed horrible but every video and playable version of the game at PAX and Gamescom has been player controlled. I wondered what they would do in single-player with the levels where you need Murphy like moving the shield but hopefully they don't make the awful decision of punishing people who don't have a friend. Just give me an AI Murphy instead.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

And it wasn't just a random developer, it was the lead game designer.

I'm relatively convinced that it is more than half of the game and not less than half of the game. Ubisoft revealed back at E3 that their reason for developing for Wii U was to have the ability to develop for smartphones/iPhone as well:

Recently Ubisoft released a Rayman endless runner on the apple app store. I think Rayman Legends follows this design philosophy, of designing a game specifically around the tablet, so that it can be ported easily to other tablets and smartphones.

I'm not saying that this is a glorified mobile game, but it is designed so that a mobile version is easy to make. And if that's the case, then there's no way that the majority of the game is platforming. The majority of the game will be Murphy, I'm sure of it.

I could live with that if the co-op version of the game was online, but I'm pretty sure that Rayman Legends has no online co-op; only leaderboards for 'skill challenges'. Either way it's a legitimate let-down and no one is whining for what amounts to being tricked.

If this is the case, especially considering traditional levels have been the only ones demonstrated to the media, reviewers are going to eat the game alive. I hope whatever Ancel said was a misunderstanding because no interview or media demonstration has mentioned this until now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LeeDless posted:

I don't understand this, how could a console possibly need a gigabyte for it's operating system? Windows 7 doesn't even use that much.

Surely 1.5GB for games and 512MB for system software would make more sense.

Multi-tasking. Reggie has said you can minimize the game you're playing and do other poo poo unlike the current consoles which require you to exit a program before opening another. So you can play your game, browse the store, and look up a video walkthrough without exiting anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chaltab posted:

What are the current rumors? Even to be proportional to the difference between Wii and the rest of 7th gen, they'd have to have at least 5GB. At that point it's diminishing returns because no game yet created has used that much RAM, even on PCs where configurations with 16GB are common on high-end gaming machines.

Crytek said they would like to see 8gb next console cycle. I definitely believe RAM is the most crippling factor in consoles but that's pretty overkill for a dedicated system.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, pre-announcement console stuff can be some of the most outlandish poo poo. Anyone remember when people were saying PS3 would have "anti-used game tech" that would burn a serial code into your Blu-ray disc so it could only be recognized by that console?

Well, Sony seems to have refocused these rumors onto the Vita because they're trying their damned hardest to piss off everyone who owns it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

^^^^^^ Huh?

When Steam started releasing digital games and such, I had heard from multiple sources that they were going to reduce the price of the games somewhat, on top of not having to pay taxes.

Gamestop and other big brick and mortar stores stomped and cried that this was unfair competition, and threatened to do all sorts of ridiculous things in order to counter/protest services like Steam. I imagine the same would happen if Nintendo's eshop undercut Gamestop.

Hmm, I don't recall anyone ever vocally giving a poo poo about Steam. Green Man Gaming has XCOM for 10% off while Steam is full price and there's no bad blood between retail or digital stores.

And every (smart) retailer like Gamestop and Amazon's response has been to open their own digital store (hell, Gamestop carries Steam cards despite owning a competing service Impulse). And now they have their own tablets, app stores, and streaming services of their own. You either keep up with the competition or die.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You think that was jarring? Ladies and gentlemen, Bowser's death in Mario's Missing. Having played this game right after playing World, I was shocked by how bad it was and the rather violent ending.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Game Trailers is doing a live Q/A. They already addressed a weird problem with the Wii U's SD card not working.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Gotta say the music in this game is super annoying. "baaaah!!"

Have you not played an NSMB game? The annoying vocals and dancing enemies are a staple.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It's not as bad as the E3 2011 thread. "WHAT it's just a controller for the Wii?"

Hey, in all fairness the console itself wasn't mentioned at all and shown only in the background during the press event.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

flyboi posted:

For those wondering about Motion Plus requirements, LOOK AT THE BACK OF YOUR loving GAME

They're very specific as to what they supprt.
NSMBU: Wiimote (any kind) + Game pad
NintendoLand: Wiimote OR Wii Motion Plus + Game Pad + Nunchuck
Scribblenauts Unlimited: Game pad + Wiimote

Hmm, kind of strange that NintendoLand, their system's "tech demo" if you will, doesn't require a plus. Guess they want the largest audience.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skunk Ape posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think those of us with deluxe pack-in Nintendo Land copies get CN codes for it. :(

This doesn't make sense because the pack-in is the actual game. Anyone who bought Nintendo Land off the shelf confirm?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

This new Mario game is pretty weird

That's just Mario 2 starring two fat old guys (rest in peace, cap'n).

parasyte posted:

If you look closely there's a "Not for resale" marking on the pack-in Nintendoland case.

Ugh, so it is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh man. The Metroid FDS theme playing at the gate to the Metroid attraction. What is this beautiful feeling welling in my chest?

Nintendo just make another 2D Metroid like Zero Mission, god drat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

I own a lot of poo poo with Web browsers and I'll probably regularly use it. It's good.

Also hey everyone hey look at this setting it's very mysterious!

Uh, if it's anything how the 3DS works it will just tell you what game your friend is playing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have to say, Miiverse is a really great idea. It's like Twitter for your games. I can't wait to see some creative devs use the program in more meta ways like an adventure game that encourages people to share photos and map annotations.

I also like the funny artists making detailed sketches instead of text posts.

e: I wish there was a way on real forums to tell if someone has actually played a game or not.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 19, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Static Rook posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a little icon by their name if they've played it? I know something like that was on one of the Miiverse start-up screens but I can't find it anymore.

As for arty NSMBU posts, I just subject people to my horrible art. My Yoshi looks like a bad hand puppet but whatever, I got all 3 Star Coins. Acknowledge me, Miiverse!. I do hope an Art Academy game comes out soon though, the good drawings make me jealous.

Yes, Miiverse has an icon that tells you if someone has played the game they're talking about. I wish this feature magically extended to everything on the internet, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Republicans posted:

Or just a piece of normal tape wrapped in a loop sticky-side out.

Nintendo Land was a big hit with the newphew but he said playing NSMBU with the gamepad felt weird. Can you play it single player with just a Wiimote or do you have to use the gamepad?

Yes, the console acknowledges any Wiimotes connected to it.

• Locked thread