Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
When I met the Queen i hung out with Lord Janner. Little did I know at the time why he was so keen on showing us "young" people some magic tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mik posted:

When I met the Queen i hung out with Lord Janner. Little did I know at the time why he was so keen on showing us "young" people some magic tricks.

Did the magic tricks involve his penis?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
He would have the kids reach into the magic hat and feel the rabbit.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

willie_dee posted:

He just died.

Interesting/Horrible detail from the Guardian's not especially flattering obit, which I haven't found in any of Janner's other obituaties:

The Guardian posted:

Janner never became a minister: perhaps because he was not sufficiently clubbable, although rumours circulated privately in parliamentary circles, headed off by threats of legal action. He chaired a number of all-party international friendship groups and was a long-time member, through the 1980s and 90s, of the select committee on employment. He chaired that committee between 1992 and 1996, before a putsch by Tory members forced him out because of one of his many lucrative extra-parliamentary interests, advising well-paid industrial executives of precisely the sort the committee was investigating.

It's kind of coy as to whether that means 'rumours of shady business dealings' or 'rumours of child abuse' but if the latter, it was likely an open secret in parliament for thirty plus years, but he used the threat of legal action to keep it from being broken to the public. I shouldn't be surprised at this poo poo any more, but jesus loving christ.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 20, 2015

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

What is the definition of clubbable?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The sort of chap one would allow to join one's club.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Billy the Mountain posted:

Wolfsbane posted:

The sort of chap one would allow to join one's club.

By my definition, he was extremely clubbable.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Billy the Mountain posted:

Judicious in one's selection of catamites. No riff-raff, rough trade or any such thing.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It doesn't say whether what they had against him was that he was jewish or a child molester. It is probably the first one though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Rebekah Brooks: New claims that phone hacking was rife at The Sun under former editor

Rebekah Brooks is facing a legal battle over new allegations that phone hacking was “endemic” when she was editor of The Sun, a court has heard.

Lawyers for News Group Newspapers, a division of Rupert Murdoch’s UK print business, told a High Court hearing that a “new flank” of hacking claims had been opened against Rupert Murdoch’s daily tabloid.

Ms Brooks, the chief executive of News UK, who resigned from the same post shortly after the closure of the News of the World in 2011, was found not guilty of involvement in phone hacking after a lengthy criminal trial, which ended in 2014. She was reappointed to her old job last year.

The potential inclusion of The Sun in the third tranche of phone-hacking civil actions – which had previously all related to its sister paper the NOTW – could leave the company facing substantial extra compensation payouts.

News UK, the rebranded name of News International, is reported to have already spent more than £300m in the fallout from phone hacking at the NOTW. The total cost of defending the Murdoch empire is thought to be close to $1bn (£690m). NGN has always said that there was no hacking activity at The Sun.(cont)
Lucky Murdoch didn't have Brooks back oh wait.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

They should launch an inquiry into this already

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

They should launch an inquiry into this already

Not a chance with David Cameron as PM.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
They should launch an inquiry into David Cameron's mental health already

e:
alternatively, bribe the Sun to praise Jezza for a month or three, watch Cameron open an enquiry

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
So Doug Richard is the latest to walk.

So IANAL question: It may be more complex than this but how is "I thought she was 17" a defence when you've admitted to paying a 13 year old for sex?

e: Is it just that if that's true the jury believed he had no reasonable way to know her real age? I'm kinda against strict liability offences in general but I'm amazed this sort of thing isn't one.

The New Black fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 30, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
paying a 17 year old for sex is also illegal so gently caress knows how he' s got away with it. Either way thats not a defence that usually works

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
I think he disputes their claim that he paid them afterwards, he only admits to giving them money for train tickets and the like.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The New Black posted:

I think he disputes their claim that he paid them afterwards, he only admits to giving them money for train tickets and the like.

That sounds exactly as convincing and believable as 'only paying them for the massage'.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

The New Black posted:

Train tickets are expensive to be fair.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why the sex industry needs proper regulation.

Want to pay for sex? You can pay a professional under a framework that does as much as reasonably possible to ensure they are not being trafficked or coerced.
Want to pay a 13 year old for sex? You can gently caress off.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
So if you pay them before the sex it's legal?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I suppose if you paid a 13 year old for sex and waited 5 years to cash in and they were still okay with their end of the deal that would be legal. But sketchy. And they'd be free to withdraw from their end of the bargain at any point.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Puntification posted:

depends, do you have enough rich friends?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Guavanaut posted:

I suppose if you paid a 13 year old for sex and waited 5 years to cash in and they were still okay with their end of the deal that would be legal. But sketchy. And they'd be free to withdraw from their end of the bargain at any point.

Wouldn't that be grooming?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Puntification posted:

afaik, paying for sex with someone over 18 isn't illegal - just soliciting or propositioning is (or running a brothel.. so two girls in the same house etc).

It's a farce that needs updating, but no politician will do it with the hostile press we have

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The New Black posted:

So Doug Richard is the latest to walk.

So IANAL question: It may be more complex than this but how is "I thought she was 17" a defence when you've admitted to paying a 13 year old for sex?

e: Is it just that if that's true the jury believed he had no reasonable way to know her real age? I'm kinda against strict liability offences in general but I'm amazed this sort of thing isn't one.

If the jury concluded that he reasonably believed the girl to be over 16 then her actual age isn't an issue in any of those charges.

Jose posted:

paying a 17 year old for sex is also illegal so gently caress knows how he' s got away with it. Either way thats not a defence that usually works

He also didn't admit paying her for sex - paying anyone, regardless of age, for sex is a criminal offence, which he was also charged with and was found not guilty. The devil is in the details of "paying for sex". You call someone up say "Come over, let's gently caress, I'll pay you 400 quid", that's an offence. You call someone up and say "Come on over, I'll pay you 400 quid" and then you end up having sex, then that's legal - because it's impossible to write a definition of "paying for sex" that would catch the latter without also making quite a lot of dating illegal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renfield posted:

It's a farce that needs updating, but no politician will do it with the hostile press we have

Saying exactly that is what got me my current BRCT.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I never get anything interesting :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Rofl has been charged with 7 new counts of indecent assault

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I had no idea he'd made so many albums.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

BBC report on Jimmy Savile is out

quote:

Dame Janet Smith identified 72 BBC victims of Savile, including eight rapes.
Among the rapes, six victims were female and two were male.
Savile sexually assaulted 57 women or girls and 15 boys, with the youngest girl he raped being 13 and youngest boy being 10.
The earliest known incident was the rape of a 13-year-old girl at Lime Grove in 1959 and his last known incident was in 2006 at the last recording of Top of the Pops.
Smith says she has identified “serious failings” in the BBC’s culture and systems of communication, management and investigation.
During the years covered by Smith’s investigation, the BBC was a place of sexual discrimination and sexual harassment.
Smith concludes had these failures been addressed at the time, Savile’s activities could have been curtailed.
Smith calls on the BBC to respond to her report within six months, setting out its current rules and procedures in areas which have been criticised, such as complaint handling processes and audience protection.
She urges the BBC to examine its attitudes towards “the Talent”, or on-screen presenters, adding they should be “left in no doubt” as to the standards expected of them.
No complaints were made about Savile to the BBC’s duty office, as would be the appropriate procedure, although there were eight occasions on which complaints were made in other ways.
The first complaint was made in the late 1960s and concerned Savile inappropriately kissing a member of staff in Manchester.
Some members of BBC staff - junior and middle-ranking - were aware of Savile’s inappropriate sexual conduct in connection with his work for the BBC but there is no evidence that any senior member of staff was aware of Savile’s conduct.
No evidence that the BBC as a corporate body was aware of Savile’s conduct.
An atmosphere of fear still exists today in the BBC possibly because obtaining work in the BBC is highly competitive and many people no longer have the security on an employment contract.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Holy poo poo, that guy makes Cosby look like a saint!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah, Savile's the one who was represented as a figure of charity and hope by a huge hierarchical organization that knew what was going on and covered it up.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

quote:

The earliest known incident was the rape of a 13-year-old girl at Lime Grove in 1959 and his last known incident was in 2006 at the last recording of Top of the Pops.
Smith concludes had these failures been addressed at the time, Savile’s activities could have been curtailed.
loving hell

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Saying exactly that is what got me my current BRCT.

...Your current what?

Google is being no help.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...Your current what?

Google is being no help.

Big Red Custom Title, I believe.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
So not that I'm complaining but how did Tony Blackburn wind up getting the sack over this?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

So not that I'm complaining but how did Tony Blackburn wind up getting the sack over this?

It's all a bit murky. The most charitable possible interpretation (i.e. his) is that his recollection of what happened with a 15 year old girl (who later committed suicide) differed with others' recollections of what happened and he feels that this is being used against him as the BBC look for high-profile scalps to cover their apparently active cover-up of the sexual abuse that seems to have been rampant at the BBC.

Less-charitable interpretations can pretty easily be made even from just that, of course.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
We're all going on a... Paedo holiday.

http://news.sky.com/story/1693662/cliff-richard-abuse-allegations-handed-to-cps

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sir Cliff denies any wrongdoing, quickly shoving a stack of best-selling albums off his desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, were the Yorkshire police involved in every major Eighties scandal?

• Locked thread