Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Home page is finally out!

https://picroma.com/cubeworld

It mostly just gives an overview of what everyone already knows, and he states that an alpha will be released soon. It might not be a release date, but at least it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'll take slow but steady updates and indicators that Wollay is still working on Cube World. Hopefully this is an indication that alpha is really close, but we'll see.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As the last couple big RPG releases have gone by it's becoming disturbingly clear that Cube World is basically promising to deliver what I crave in an open world RPG. :negative:

Also: Frogmen :getin:

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
So there is finally some live streams now starting to crop up for this game. One of the Yogcast guys managed to get an Alpha key.

http://www.twitch.tv/inthelittlewood

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Solvency posted:

So there is finally some live streams now starting to crop up for this game. One of the Yogcast guys managed to get an Alpha key.

Oh, cool. Get to see some people actually playing, rather than just some developer footage.

Edit: They're trying multiplayer now.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 20, 2013

Graburace
Mar 5, 2009

Solvency posted:

God I can't wait for this game to come out!

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

That camel is loving hilarious and I hope the running animation never changes. It's definitely out of the scope of his initial release plans but house building will make this guy so rich. It's also amazing to me how fun/relaxing the sailing and hangliding look. I'm so pumped for this.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

Reiz posted:

It's definitely out of the scope of his initial release plans but house building will make this guy so rich.

Actually, he had a system for player housing implemented over a year ago, but decided to shelve it until post release for some reason.

Edit: Youtube video made by the same guy was posted, for anybody that missed the stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUxFAu4tjQ

Sackmo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 21, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you want to watch more Cube World, Toby is streaming it now. He was playing multiplayer with InTheLittleWood earlier.

http://www.twitch.tv/sototallytoby

Speaking of InTheLittleWood, he didn't have the entire stream up as a VoD as he'll be spreading it out on his YouTube channel, but he did leave up a video of the first dungeon they felt strong enough to try if you want to check that out.

Edit: Turns out I lied. I'm sorry.

Just over 6 hours of footage.

Two and a half hours of footage.

Onean fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 21, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, that game's pretty. Ugly, but pretty.

I'm not enjoying the Toby stream though, he's just kind of... gliding around. Going to check out that dungeon video, though.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Graburace posted:

God I can't wait for this game to come out!

I don't know how to add to this sentiment...the only other game that has ever elicitied such anticipation with its hype was Spore, but Cube World looks as though its actually going to deliver, and I couldn't be any happier.

I think Wollay is about to become an extraordinarily wealthy person.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think I've ever been more excited for a game's release. It's like someone had a list of exactly how I would want a sandbox game (or particularly minecraft) to be, and has actually made it! The only thing the game currently seems to possibly be lacking is the type of building interaction that, say minecraft allows. In fact, can you construct things (such as a home) at all outside of some preset builds? Still, I suppose minecraft does fill that specific lego-building niche anyways. What this game should provide is literally everything else I would want, ie an actual combat system, actual questing and high dungeon and monster variety that is worth exploring, hopefully little buginess and glitches upon full release. Does anyone know if the beta will be open?

nuiker
Apr 9, 2007

So It Goes posted:

I don't think I've ever been more excited for a game's release. It's like someone had a list of exactly how I would want a sandbox game (or particularly minecraft) to be, and has actually made it! The only thing the game currently seems to possibly be lacking is the type of building interaction that, say minecraft allows. In fact, can you construct things (such as a home) at all outside of some preset builds? Still, I suppose minecraft does fill that specific lego-building niche anyways. What this game should provide is literally everything else I would want, ie an actual combat system, actual questing and high dungeon and monster variety that is worth exploring, hopefully little buginess and glitches upon full release. Does anyone know if the beta will be open?

From everything that I've read the only type of building that's allowed will be with preset houses and I don't believe that's going to be in till after the actual launch of the game. Seems like there really isn't any kind of terrain changing except for big bosses being able to destroy terrain. There's also some crafting with adding on additional blocks to weapons, but that's all there really seems to be.

Pretty sure there will be an alpha that we are able to buy and then get updates forever like Minecraft did if that's what you mean by an open beta. It might actually be fairly soon for when we can buy the game according to a post of wollay. http://i.imgur.com/vDxJZeX.png

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.
Oh hey, I remember this game. He posted about this on 4chan's /v/ board about a year ago.

That probably made most of you instantly change your minds about playing it but whatever, it looked fun then and it looks fun now, and I'll throw down some cash to play it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm so glad this is finally getting to a point were Wollay is comfortable releasing it. I used to check his blog once a month just to see if he'd gotten anywhere. He's had to deal with a lot of impatient people in the last 3 years.

Not to make this negative, it's awesome news.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Shoehead posted:

I'm so glad this is finally getting to a point were Wollay is comfortable releasing it. I used to check his blog once a month just to see if he'd gotten anywhere. He's had to deal with a lot of impatient people in the last 3 years.

Not to make this negative, it's awesome news.

I've been much the same. I've been ready to throw money at him for a long long time. Now that its getting closer to happening, and the fact I've been able to see people play it has me very excited indeed! Do we have any idea on what the player limit for servers are?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Yay I've been waiting for this game for so long, it's good to finally see Wollay is finally handing out alphas.
From what I've seen of the gameplay it looks like everything I expected it to be!

Hopefully more videos get posted of it over the next few days.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

tehsid posted:

I've been much the same. I've been ready to throw money at him for a long long time. Now that its getting closer to happening, and the fact I've been able to see people play it has me very excited indeed! Do we have any idea on what the player limit for servers are?

quote:

Private Servers
Cube World comes with a separate server application which players can use to host their own server to which friends can connect for a multiplayer session.

LAN Multiplayer
Multiplayer is possible over LAN.

Online Multiplayer
Multiplayer is possible over the Internet. The server application can be run on a dedicated server or a private computer (using port forwarding for routers).

2-4 Player Cooperative Play
You can play cooperatively with up to three friends.

(All this below is coming later)

Player vs Player (PvP)
We're planning to add PvP modes with randomly generated battlegrounds and arenas.

PvP Online Ladders
For team-based PvP we're thinking about the possibility of online ladders.

Experimental Massively Multiplayer Server
We will experiment with the possiblity of higher populated multiplayer servers, without compromising game balance and performance.

So 4 at the moment but with high pop servers later on maybe. (Which sounds awesome)

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Shoehead posted:

So 4 at the moment but with high pop servers later on maybe. (Which sounds awesome)

Awesome. I'd love to see a goon highpop server one day. Would be a blast.

Thanks!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

tehsid posted:

Awesome. I'd love to see a goon highpop server one day. Would be a blast.

The word you are looking for is 'clusterfuck' :D

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Sackmo posted:

Edit: Youtube video made by the same guy was posted, for anybody that missed the stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUxFAu4tjQ

I'll never get the appeal of watching other people play games, it was very hard to watch him leaving stuff on the ground. Pick up the things, dammit!
I'm really glad this might be playable soon, I think I've been watching it for over a year now and it looks like a lot of fun. Co op should be pretty amazing, I've always wanted a multiplayer Zelda-like game.

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 23, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Whatever happened with his change-the-name submissions thing? I thought he couldn't release it as Cube World due to some legal junk. Did he scrap that plan?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jesto posted:

Whatever happened with his change-the-name submissions thing? I thought he couldn't release it as Cube World due to some legal junk. Did he scrap that plan?

I don't know if he's changed his mind about the plan, but he wanted to change the name so that it stood out a little more on its own, not due to legal stuff.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
If you haven't seen it yet, check the Dungeon video. Worth watching imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U91HHslF0s

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Simon from the main Yogscast channel just put up his first Cube World video. He's being led around by Martyn (InTheLittleWood) so it's not completely terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01LOl-Q8EE

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wonder if he's met any pigs yet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovhJdqm51j8

More Inthelittlewood.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Good god this game cannot come out soon enough. I forgot about it for a year or so, and now that there are actual updates, I think I'm going to die of anticipation.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Good god this game cannot come out soon enough. I forgot about it for a year or so, and now that there are actual updates, I think I'm going to die of anticipation.

I dont know how else to describe this game besides cohesive gameplay:aaaaa:

Matoi Ryuko fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 28, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Shoehead posted:

I wonder if he's met any pigs yet.

Of course he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSAzd6_zgh4

Seems more interested in the Collie though.

Peddler of Smiles
Jan 21, 2013
I've been watching a lot of stream footage and the game looks fun and interesting... but the bosses look like they need some rebalancing. I'm not sure if they're balanced for 4 or balanced for a level of skill that the creators have that people like inthelittlewood don't have, but there seems to be a lot of "Here is this one attack that one shots you, and here are all these attacks in between that check to see if you brought a bunch of potions."

So far pretty much every boss I've seen has the spin-forward-and-cut-a-bloody-swath attack which Simon and littlewood tried to mitigate by hiding behind trees, I guess you could space out your stun/knock downs to try to interrupt it every time it starts, but then there are bosses which seem immune/resistant to stun/kd.

Oh well, these are concerns of an early Alpha, they'll probably get ironed out before launch. If they're not, maybe when I'm playing myself, I might be able to handle the bosses easier, or find something the people playing now have not. Brick wall bosses are very rarely fun to me and almost always annoying.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

This just popped up in my rss reader:

Cube World posted:

Cube World is now available for purchase!
We have temporarily disabled the shop to verify that everything is working so far.

More info on
https://picroma.com/buycubeworld

There's also a small tech demo for you to verify that the game runs on your computer. We recommend to test it if you have an older computer or laptop.
Hopefully in a bit we can actually buy this.

Manto
Aug 27, 2003
Rawrr!
The demo and alpha are released, but the store has been taken offline temporarily.

https://picroma.com/buycubeworld

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think the entire website went offline

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Yeah is all down.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Website is back up it seems, albeit sloow, but you need to have an account to buy/download it and thus far the activation email hasn't arrived.

Hopefully the initial rush gets him enough coins to have it properly hosted!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I'm so glad this game is coming out, been waiting for it for years.

Hopefully the site comes back online soon because this is just the biggest cocktease right now.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Main site is fully back, but the buy cubeworld page is still down :(

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Website is not really fully back, at least not here. Its slow as heck.

I'm guessing he was expecting a lot of traffic, but not as much as he got. Might not have the xp in dealing with a super high volume of traffic. You only learn how to deal with it once you've run though it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
This wait is agonizing.

• Locked thread