Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Why wouldn't you just make all crafting instant? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
So on first glance this game looked kinda neat, on second glance and reading the last page or two, I am starting to have my doubts. If I want a nice, open ARPG is this a good purchase or are there better options out there? Also, is the shop not working just a temporary thing? Seemed like the way people talked that it may have been down for a while now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It's not a finished game. The only reason it had hype was because of its potential. It still has potential to be a good game, but the game is still currently an unfinished alpha build.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

It's not a finished game. The only reason it had hype was because of its potential. It still has potential to be a good game, but the game is still currently an unfinished alpha build.

Its still better than anything else like it even though its just an Alpha build, hence why lots of spergs get angry about it not being finished.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Firstkind posted:

Woah did this guy resurface again? Shame Trove attempted to take over his idea in his absence.
By now there are even more clones of the general idea too. Skysaga and Portal Knights seem like reasonably close riffs on the same theme, and then of course there are a shitton of more survival-oriented games with heavy crafting. It's getting crowded.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Did Wollay see his own shadow again this year?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Cube World isn't remotely like a survival game currently and probably shouldn't be lumped in with those games, and there isn't much crafting beyond upgrading items as well as food and potion recipes that basically work like World of Warcraft, so it isn't a building game either. Cube World is just a straight up action RPG with a randomly generated world.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ToastyPotato posted:

Cube World isn't remotely like a survival game currently and probably shouldn't be lumped in with those games, and there isn't much crafting beyond upgrading items as well as food and potion recipes that basically work like World of Warcraft, so it isn't a building game either. Cube World is just a straight up action RPG with a randomly generated world.
Yeah, even the closest matches add a bunch of crafting to the formula. Haven't seen much of anything with just the action and random generation, everyone wants to get the Minecraft crowd after all.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://www.instagram.com/wollayfx/

Wollay has been putting little videos up on instagram. Been showing off some of the skills.

This concludes your biannual Cube World news update.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Is it out yet

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Overbite posted:

Is it out yet

Out? Yes
Complete? No

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Updated July 23, 2013

Cube World is up to date.

Only a little over 3 months until the 3 year anniversary of the last thing to actually happen. But the update is coming soon I bet!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Only a little over 3 months until the 3 year anniversary of the last thing to actually happen. But the update is coming soon I bet!

Still doing this, huh?

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
The new content looks promising and wollay actually keeps up with the updates. Maybe we will see a patch this year who knows. I will certainly play it if it actually comes one day.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Heavy Lobster posted:

Still doing this, huh?
Cube World made his mark on him. Now he nurses a growing resentment

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I feel like this is all building up to him showing a finished product with a message like "I told you assholes I would finish it" then never releasing it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I feel like it's not building up to anything, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Still sore about the $20 I spent on this

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Don't buy early access games.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Still better than Starbound.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

murphyslaw posted:

Don't buy early access games.
I want to say 'unless' but even the occasional exception is really risky, as Cube World proves.

Do we have a thread yet for bad Cube World/Minecraft hybrids? SkySaga once again tried to remind me they exist and I wonder what else has popped up since Trove.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

CrashCat posted:

I want to say 'unless' but even the occasional exception is really risky, as Cube World proves.

Do we have a thread yet for bad Cube World/Minecraft hybrids? SkySaga once again tried to remind me they exist and I wonder what else has popped up since Trove.

Just buy Lego. It costs a lot but usually arrives

Edit: actually did that Lego game ever loving update??

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Shoehead posted:

Lego Worlds? It updates every few months, probably a bit slower than people would like, but they recently overhauled the UI.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Lego Island doesn't need any updates. It was perfect on release.

E: I'm not too upset about my twenny bucks. If I think about it in terms of a movie, you pay like $5/hr for entertainment. I got at least 10 hours out of Cubeworld, so I'm ahead. Just because there's no update now doesn't diminish the fun I had 3 years ago playing it. Iunno.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 3, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shoehead posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that any of them were good

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BREAKING NEWS:
Nothing happened.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

wipeout posted:

BREAKING NEWS:
Nothing happened.
come over here so I can slap you :argh:

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Is there anything along the same lines worth playing?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Trove is legit fun for a little while, and just had some kind of expansion released.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Still no available patch in my CubeWorld.EXE .... I dont understand....?

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Wollay will have some big news at e3, stay tuned

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

amusinginquiry posted:

Wollay will have some big news at e3, stay tuned

Are they going to cut live to his basement or will he be releasing cubeworld remastered.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
He's joining forces with the That Which Sleeps guy to make the most amazing game EVER (that will never come out).

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/764178758597275648

Amazingly, a progress report of sorts. I was about to say update, but that would be wrong.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Are they prefabbed? Or is there some randomness to them? He says variety, but I don't know if that means variety between types or variety within each dungeon. He never released the quest/arena update right?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Welp

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

ToastyPotato posted:

Are they prefabbed? Or is there some randomness to them? He says variety, but I don't know if that means variety between types or variety within each dungeon. He never released the quest/arena update right?

Look prefabbed as hell.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Knifegrab posted:

Look prefabbed as hell.

Eh, they all look like pretty generic; I don't see anything here that couldn't come out of a generator. I mean, there are varying tiers of generation; he could be prefabbing rooms and randomising layouts or what have you.

Obviously we don't know how the game's changed in the past three years, but the version we got to play was heavily reliant on proc gen to construct this infinitely large world. If that's still the concept I'm not sure how you'd happily marry prefabbed dungeons to that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The existing dungeons are already made out of prefabricated "rooms" fitted together like lego, this isn't a massive stretch from that. Easy peasy (he says).

I wish wollay would release incremental beta builds or something. It's a testament to the quality of his work that people are interested at all after 3 years of nothing, but this is taking the loving piss frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Lesson learned I guess, don't give your money to an autistic perfectionist.

• Locked thread