Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The new Earwolfman Jack ones are pretty great too, like the podcast itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Zsinjeh posted:

I've been dragging myself through the Earwolf subreddit to get some ideas flowing on giving Hollywood Handbook some more spotlight and there's people on there who have Ronna & Beverly as their favorite podcast ever and haven't even tried Andy Dalys Podcast Pilot Project.

Comedy is subjective and all that but goddamn :stare:

I don't know why they haven't tried the Daly casts, but you do know Ronna and Beverly are characters played by UCB improvisers? They're not real old ladies.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Dredging up ol Lewsinky last week was pretty lame, and the criticism directed at her has always seemed pretty shallow and vicious, to me, since her whole thing started. I am not eager to listen to Matt rationalize this behavior; I'd much rather hear him debate someone on a topic related to comedy, but I think they may have already done one on that on another episode. Most of the rest have been some moral or semantic issue that he is either not right about or not thinking enough about, and isn't funny.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Politicalrancor posted:

Matt Besser knows what happens to Master Blaster right?

I dunno, they included a quote at the end that seemed kind of self-deprecating, if he knew about it. At least Besser is outright saying that he isn't interested in discussing the subject after that segment, not that he has an utterly correct opinion and should be listened to from now on, like some tiresome comedy-ideologues that are around nowadays. Besser is Funny and can stay that way, old man opinions aside.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Hollywood Handbook, stay propped up for PR purposes forever please.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Jesus Christ. I want them to watch this and do a scene off of it next time Jon is on.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It's petulant, but seeing the best-of being centered around the musical guests, I couldn't even bring myself to skip through the songs that I've already skipped through once before. It's bewildering, but in a benign way. I want someone like Gabrus or Gemberling to make fun of Besser for it sometime.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It was a great idea to just double up on this improv4humans lineup. I also thought it was funny that Betsy was always a roommate, while Stephanie was a girlfriend/wife.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Pryor on Fire posted:

Holy loving poo poo is Lauren Lapkus's podcast awful. I can't believe I've listened to all of every episode, it's just so bad and terrible outside of the first one. I want to like it so much because of how big a fan I am of hers, but holy poo poo this is just bad. Please someone make it stop so I don't have to keep holding out hope for a laugh.

I'm guessing the problem is some mix of a lovely premise and "omg I'm a huge star now and such a nice person here is every halfway funny nobody that I love and want to help their career now", but whatever the problem is geez they need to fix it.

agreed

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Hollywood Handbook remains funny. There's nothing to point out as especially funny since the joke is the same as always, but whenever they reference Calvin and Hobbes it's really, really funny.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

mr.capps posted:

The I4H episode is a podcast magnum opus

I don't know how much editing that required, and obv all those improvisers were the best in the universe so it probably didn't even need that much, but that poo poo was amazing.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 13, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
HH is also great, better than all other podcasts, because you never feel compelled to skip past the commercials or the intro song.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Rip Earwolfman Jack

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Besser introducing this ep's musical guest by saying she's the same as every other current singer-songwriter. I don't know if I can contain my excitement.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The episode was still pretty good though. I don't want to sound like a cretin, but has anyone else felt that Tim Meadows hasn't been super "on" for many of his last appearances? I think he can be really funny, but he can't jump to funny poo poo as quickly as some of the others- like any of the others on this episode.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There are a ton of great regulars. Sean Conroy, Gil Ozeri, Seth Morris, Stephanie Allynne, Charlie Sanders, along with the Pally/Gabrus/Gemberling chubby, sassy white guy trifecta have immaculate runs for me, along with the ones already mentioned.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Ronna and Beverley's newest episode is really good. Give the intro segment a try if you haven't sampled it before!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I stopped listening to Professor Blastoff, but if any of you guys ever listened to it, David Huntsberger would be at the top of the thread's poo poo list for his anti-comedic tendencies. I haven't checked back in in over a year so he may have changed/mellowed/became more funny though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
David CAN be okay. It's unfair for someone like him to be placed next to two people who are naturally funny. Where can I get more Kyle Dunnigan if I don't listen to Blastoff anymore?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'd like to see Hayes's Jeopardy appearance.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I haven't given the Hooray Show a fair try because of its edited format. I feel like there's not much to gain from cutting directly to bits and highlights instead of just recording a seamless conversation, like i4h and many others.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There are way more misses than hits, but I stay subscribed to it in my podcast app for the few really good episodes, like Aukerman's or PFT's. The Besser one was okay.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

jyrka posted:

How boring.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Brett Gelman is a basic bitch.

These posts are even worse, haha.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I like how good of friends they seem to have become due to this podcast <3

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

To me th funniest improv for humans is still the only hi-c you'll be getting is the high seas, after we throw you in the fuckin ocean. You're on kid trap.

The 420 one is great. I think my favorite one is the intern interviewing one with Mike Still and Seth Morris, which has a similar moment with a medical game show. And it's on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dypzy9Dshv4

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I will say that I am not excited about paying for old podcast episodes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
This does heighten my anticipation for next Hollywood Handbook though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Sean and Hayes have been killing me with their Scripps and Howl riffs for the past month or so.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Agreeing that Gabrus is someone who just speaks and says funny things all the time. His personality and humility are chill to listen to too.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That's Earwolf's thing now. And yeah, I was even getting fatigued by a Hollywood Handbook ad, which I thought could never happen. I didn't send up skipping it because it was still funny though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I remember when they switched over (two years ago :() and most everyone was down on the new show, but I'm pretty sure HH has achieved greater heights than RSS. I'm glad they keep getting their podcast paid for them.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I feel like I've heard Sean explain the show as "the worst conversation you've had in an audition waiting room" which, to me, brings to mind exactly the right sort of mindset you need to play along with the show, if you're a creative or funny person in the slightest. I think a lot of older comedians get defensive or stubborn about their ways though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
oh my god what is this HH episode

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
They could have even cut down on the episodes they put out initially of the special features and stuff. Maybe that's too cynical for Earwolf (well, Scripps) but it probably would entice people to subscribe, rather than offering everything for the first month and then nothing for a while afterwards.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The description made me lol, so..

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Besser's habits have become noticeable to me, too, because of the posts on here. I also can no longer stand his old person opinions in every single show. I no longer care about the dull bands because they aren't as much of a problem as the ranting thing. This isn't the place for it, but how can people who have his view not see that they're being just as sensitive and defensive and emotional as the people they're criticizing?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

mr.capps posted:

I dislike it when this thread shits on Matt, because while I do recognize his faults and they are legitimate, my personality and sense of humor is very similar to his so I feel like you guys are picking on me :smith:

(i am not nearly that debate-y though)

I am not an improv snob like that one guy who posts here, but I think he's still really talented.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 1, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The bit I remember most readily from RSS is when they make fun of how they kept bringing up the Nokia phone and it's full list of features on the Voice that one time. They even made a joke about it later on HH I believe. What I'm saying is I don't think that's an inaccessible joke, but I don't mind people not engaging with the boys.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Adomian rules and is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Gabrus was on Getting Doug With
High too, if anyone wants to see that.