Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Long story short:

Lil Dickey, like everyone in Hollywood, wanted to do a Curb-like improv sitcom. Sean was gonna be a major player in the cast and helped coach in improv. They wanted a certain young rapper from ATL with face tattoos to be another major character. The rapper then became very coy about signing up for SAG and no one knew why. He quietly dropped out of the project.

Recently this rapper was found to not be from ATL, and is now in a lot of trouble.

SAG does background checks.

Sean tells the story funnier and with more details.

drat. That is a crazy story but also very sad considering the way INS and Homeland Security went after that rapper (21 Savage).

Lil Dickey's show got ordered to series last week. Is Sean still a part of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What's the genesis of "try month"? Did a Stitcher exec send them an email saying they weren't trying or something?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Party In My Diapee posted:

First time i didn't want to listen to HH

Don’t. It’s one real bad ep!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Benson really sabotaged his own show a few years ago didn’t he? Made his most popular game boring, threw donuts for ten minutes each episode, and weirdly incorporated literal dead air into every loving show. As if the dead air from the donuts wasn’t enough.

Does he still do a ton of live dates for the show? It seemed like once he stopped the weekly free show at UCB, he stopped being interested in it (and started doing all that donut and literal dead air stuff). He had such a good thing going and it got so bad really quickly. I unsubscribed years ago and the only time I remember it was still on was because he had TJ Miller guest a few months after being accused of rape and getting arrested for a bomb threat.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

This episode rules. If you had to compare Hollywood Handbook's sensibility to a rock band... there's not much of a closer match than Pavement.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

the Insane Piano posted:

Can you just tell the story

About 27 minutes in Andy Daly talks about a blackface sketch they did on Conan.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I like the uncomfortable smiley in the bottom right corner, which I assume is a reaction.

I kinda hope Andy Richter is on an HH in the near future to promote his new show. I think his improv style would mesh well with Those Men.

I think he would mesh well because he might be the real life jaded Hollywood star that they satirize. Every Conan taping I've been to, he just stands at his podium by himself looking miserable and then barely says anything at the podium/couch when they're taping.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but it's got to suck knowing you left Late Night to try and become a star and then 9 years later after 3 failed sitcoms, you fallback on being a well-paid sidekick with little creative fulfillment.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

I think he's more depressed because he's recently divorced

Him starting a podcast makes more sense now!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've feel like a bad HH fan because -- while I enjoy them at times -- I almost always skip the ads.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Remix! Original!

Monster is such a bad record.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Thank you. She was not funny. I saw someone else suggest bringing back Shelby Fero. Another one of my least favourite guests. Feels very much like they are trying to direct the episode rather than Sean and/or Hayes and it doesn't work because they aren't funny. And the boys play along but deep down you know that Sean secretly just wants Ayo to shut up.

Jesus Christ dude.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

Oh man I hope Scott and Scott will do a band that doesn't completely suck this time

Besides "R.E.M." completely sucks" being a WILD take... isn't the podcast more fun when the band sucks? I actually like U2 but they've done so much goofy poo poo over the years. Same with RHCP; so much good music IMO but lots to make fun of.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

It's not fun to listen to people go into great detail lovingly discussing music that is bad imo.

That’s like the last 25 minutes of each 2 hour episode

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Garth_Marenghi posted:

Don't know why they didn't just go with
Not gonna throw away my Scott: Another Hamilton podcast.

Just listen to any episode of Never Not Funny from 2015 to.... now?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

R U Talking RHCP Re: Me? abandoned the premise within 4 minutes of the latest episode to change it to a Talking Heads podcast.

edit: They say at the end of the episode they're going to stick with Talking Heads because it's just more fun.

I hope this is a bit. Talking Heads is an incredible band but there’s just nowhere near as much stuff to talk about. They’re still like 6 years away from RHCP becoming famous! RHCP’s silly Blood Sugar Sex Magik documentary “Funky Monks” alone could’ve made for a classic ep.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Adam’s Traveling Wilbury story is insane.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I have no idea why he thought that would be a funny bit for a talk show. Even if he'd picked a band people knew about, it still wouldn't have worked. There was absolutely nothing there.

The best thing I actually like the premise! This would be a great Tweet thread from him. Laura Dern as Roy Orbison is killer.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Riptor posted:

the fact the wolf dead was super clear when kulap started her show on not-earwolf

Eh, Aukerman has been a non-owner of Earwolf far longer than he was an owner. Not the biggest shock that two non-comedians who aren't big names went with a different network. Especially since he knows the inner workings of what's going on even if he's no longer making business decisions for the company.

Also podcast networks don't mean anything anymore.

It looks like Culture Kings is done on Earwolf too. Edgar Momplaisir said on the most recent ep with PFT that he's leaving the show and Jacquis Neal sounded unsure whether he was continuing or not.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Hahahaha no way! That's even funnier because I've heard nothing but good things about Tiny Lister, before and after his death.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

All the pods leaving Earwolf since Sirius bought made me think of Jeff Ullrich and what he’s up to since selling. I remember he used the money to see every Cubs playoff game during their 2016 championship run but didn’t know what happened since.

Found a May 2019 ep of Without Fail which goes into the whole details of him founding Earwolf and why he hasn’t done podcasts since (short story: 5 year non compete clause in the Scripps deal). But also he was dealing with alcoholism and work taking over his family life. But I had no idea he was Jerry Minor’s business manager and that’s why Jerry was so prevalent on early CBB. And that Jerry was initially going to be a cofounder but backed out last minute! Lots of good stuff about early Earwolf days.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

How many pods have left Earwolf since the Sirius purchase?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Subscribed to the Flagrant Ones bundle. Glad I did. Should have been keeping up on it this entire time. Where do you guys listen to these podcasts? It's pretty clear that the Patreon app still sucks out loud.

Overcast app

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Devonaut posted:

Sean is a super rear end in a top hat, I don't think it's a persona.

Like you know how people say someone has a face for radio? Sean has a personality for podcasting.

Definitely a huge rear end in a top hat. That's why he's been a working TV writer for the better part of a decade. When showrunners hire people with whom they're going to spend 9-12 hours locked in a room, they're looking for jerks.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I don't know, it seems like exactly the kind of environment where someone could get away with being an rear end in a top hat as long as they're funny.

It's really not. There's literally hundreds of funny people competing for every one comedy writing job. "You have to pass an rear end in a top hat test with the showrunner in your interview" or "this is a really small town, word gets around if you suck in a room" aren't just sayings, they're true.

But sure, Sean is a huge rear end in a top hat. And Nick and Mitch actually hate each other, it's not a bit! They want to kill each other because they disagree on fast food opinions.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

EmotionlessThug posted:

thank you king

So which dude said that the guy holding the camera, saying “drat Daniel back at it again with the fresh white Vans” to a guy wearing fresh white Vans, is Daniel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Also.....I listened to those men on the 'Scott Hasn't Seen' podcast. Is Shaun Diston trying to do PFT's Andrew Lloyd Webber impersonation....or is that just how he sounds? And on that subject.....does anyone else think that the ALW character needs to be retired for a while? PFT is an interesting enough character on his own. And don't point me towards 'Threedom'. Don't care for that show.

It sounded SO much like PFTs Andrew Lloyd Webber. I haven't listened to anything CBB-related in a few years but it popped on the Hollywood Handbook feed so I gave it a try. I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes.