Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Gah, this is troubling news. I'm one of the few people out there who still listens to poo poo on an mp3-player, so I guess I'm out if I can't download mp3 files of new episodes any longer :(
I listen to podcasts/audiobooks pretty much throughout my workday, so the battery on my phone would be dead by lunch if I listened to all my podcast through an app.

I don't even care about the money, I'd happily give them 10 bucks a month for commercial free mp3s of their podcasts! Just please don't force us to use an app to listen to the shows.

Since they haven't taken down the old episodes yet, I'm scrambling to get mp3s of all the classic episodes right now. I'm going through the archives of CBB guest by guest and downloading all of their episodes. So far I've gotten all of PFT, Jessica St. Claire, Andy Daly, James Adomian, Jon Gabrus, Brendon Small, Lauren Lapkus and Horatio Sanz. Anyone obvious I'm forgetting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Groucho Marxist posted:

Harris Wittels

Thanks! I almost missed a couple of good epps there :v

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I really hope so!

Forcing people to download an app just to check out your show should drastically reduce the number of new listeners, so hopefully they aren't doing that.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The latest Hollywood Handbook with the guys from Auntie Donna was hilarious. HH has always been a second tier podcast for me. Every few months I go through a cycle of remembering the podcast exists - finding an episode with I guest that sounds interesting and begin listening - asking myself "this is awesome, why don't I listen to this more often?" - become tired of the schtick after an episode or two, or even halfway through the first episode - forgetting the podcast for a few more months etc.

I think a big part of why I usually burn out so fast on the show is that the "Hollywood rear end in a top hat" persona a lot of guests adapt to keep up with the boys is often similar from guest to guest, so it gets a bit predictable. Or the guests never quite seems to be on the same level of aloof/sarcastic/whatever as the boys, so it never really clicks.

The episodes with the Auntie Donna guys though, every single one that I've heard have been a delight from beginning to end. On paper it sounds like the worst improv show ever - five guys who are all both argumentative and prickly watch Tiktok videos and argue semantics!

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ldTO4LYIB4

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

I read "Tears in her eyes" and immediately started hearing the rest of the quote in Action Boyz Trump voices.

These navy seals come up to me, tears in their eyes, saying "Thank you Mr. Trump."

/Rogers' Trump impression

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Speaking of Action Boyz.

Anyone else feel that Gabrus kinda needs to inject some Gino Lombardi into himself? It's like that extra confidence to be loud and abrasive would really help him since he so often seems unsure of his own bits and half-bails on them a few seconds in. Usually by faking some very unconvicing laughter or something. To say nothing of when he gets overly sensitive about the ribbing the other hosts give him for his opinions, though he has gotten much better about this part at least since the beginning of the podcast.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Something he does a fair bit is when he's struggling to finish his thought or sentence he'll start fake laughing so hard that he can't get the words out.

It's just so weird that the guy that can dominate the room like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxTRIbAxVM

when he's in his Gino persona can have the problem that he's a bit too timid.

edid: I appear to have clicked quote on the latest post instead of post

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
A weird thing for me personally was that I couldn't hear the difference between Stanger and Rogers for over 100 episodes. Now I know who's speaking by the first syllable either of them utters, which is why it feels so strange knowing that I used to have to rely on context clues for which non-Gabrus actionboy was currently talking.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

They definitely have similar registers, took me a while to differentiate between them as well. Here's a handy guide for new listeners:

RODGERS - misanthrope, contrarian
STANGER - "Do you guys know [universally beloved thing]? Do you...do you guys like that"

Stanger - pronounces the propeller-driven flying machine as "hillacopter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

the most important thing for any podcaster to remember is fans almost universally love being insulted, they can't get enough of it, pigs at the trough demanding please more of the slop that sends an electrical current through our jaws

Yeah, but it's still healthy for anyone with a fan base to make sure to insult them every now and then, if only to make sure that the kind of fan that start thinking they would be besties with their idol if only they knew they're their biggest fan keep away. That alone probably lowers your chanses of getting Mark David Chapmanned by a crazy fan by a few hundred percent.