Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Very excited about Wolfpop. I'd never heard of Happy Sad Confused or its host before, but its list of previous guests is ridiculously good. Woody Allen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Definitely did not need another 5-10 weekly podcasts added to my already unwieldy list of subscriptions. Checking out I Was There Too - because of Matt Gourley and PFT, duh - it has an excellent theme tune.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Speaking of Wolfpop, I've been really enjoying Denzel Washington Is The Best Actor Of All Time Period - a strong entry in the podcast genre 'two funny friends shooting the poo poo'.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Paul Scheer is going to be in a movie with Nic Cage.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Disgusted by Improv4Humans breaking tradition and having on a musical guest I was already aware of and like a great deal.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Besser and Danielle make an extremely funny and dark appearance in the tag at the end of the new episode of Community. Worth watching even if you're not a regular viewer.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Stealing this from the Earwolf sub-reddit (don't judge me), but Adam Scott Aukerman were spotted at a U2 concert last night.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
It is interesting that not many other places cover/review podcasts with great regularity though - I remember old AV Club editor Keith Phipps talking a lot about what a nightmare it was just getting Podmass together every week.

And I possibly prefer the new Podmass format to the old The Best/The Rest format, even though the old one led to a lot of very funny references to it from Tom Scharpling. I think probably because it reflected a shift in how I listen to podcasts from having a decent number that I listened religiously to every episode of to having a core few that I always listen to, while having a whole bunch more that I just listen to compelling/funny-sounding episodes of. Anyone else have a similar move?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Edit: never mind.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 17, 2015

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Gabrus' episode of Don't Get Me Started, where he talks about his love of rugby, is also a great listen.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Warning: if you watch Aziz's (very good) new Netflix show, be emotionally prepared to see Harris' name pop up a bunch in the credits :(

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Jason Mantzoukas is in Transparent Season 2 basically playing himself. It's great.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Friday's With Special Guest, with Paul Scheer, is a good one. Kind of a parody of Obama on WTF.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Strongly recommend following Gil Ozeri on Snapchat (username is gilozeri). Honestly worth making an account for if you don't already have one.

Probably the first comedian to properly take advantage of the medium, will make you laugh like a lunatic and worry for his life.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

So, like, the hilarious stuff you're recommending is gone now, right? That's the point of the platform? I am an old man and don't get it.

He's putting his clips up as a 'Story' which means you can watch them on repeat then they disappear after 24 hours. So yeah, some of the stuff is gone, but the videos from from the last day have been pretty great.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hannibal's show is exactly what you would expect it to be like, and you will probably enjoy it about as much as you expect to. In my case, that was quite a bit.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
This week's With Special Guest is good, especially if you're already missing Don't Get Me Started.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
At last night's Emmys Adam Scott walked out to Billy Joel's I Go To Extremes. Really hope that was in some way on purpose.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The most recent With Special Guest, with Besser doing a Handmaid's Tale parody, is really, really funny and dark. Can be appreciated even if you've never watched the show.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Off Book definitely isn't short form, just fyi, really the opposite. Has a lot of references and callbacks between songs and in the spoken scenes. Style vs substance question a bit more debatable.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

ArtVandelay posted:

I absolutely hate musicals, but Off Book is incredible...

I've seen a few people say this here and elsewhere and I get why, but honestly: if you like Off Book, there will definitely be some musicals you will like a lot. Sondheim is probably the person they take from most in the show, and McKenna in particular is an obsessive of him, so he's a good starting point.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
As in today's R.E.M, every story I've ever heard Scott tells about his childhood/parents has been mildly alarming/concerning.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Obviously music is massively subjective, but calling early R.E.M. albums great isn't exactly going out on a limb. If you look at pretty much any 'Best Albums of the '80s' list you'll see Murmur and Reckoning right up there. So the Scotts are in the majority (of nerdy music fans anyway) for their love of them.

I like the records already discussed a lot, but actually prefer Green/Out of Time/Automatic for the People-era R.E.M., which I can already tell Scott A. doesn't like, so I look forward to getting irrationally annoyed by those episodes.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That said: his reaction to the couple of songs he hates, like the truly awful Month of Saturdays on today's ep, is always very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Having seen a Comedy Bang Bang live show: Gabrus is a very large man in the flesh.