Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Ape of Naples posted:

Since it came up on the latest (free) Threedom I need to talk about the story of Rihanna's "Shut Up and Drive". Mostly because it's as close I can come to having a story about anything.

I used to work at the studio where the producers who discovered Rihanna also worked. They wrote Shut Up... for her third album. After it was recorded but before it's released they gave it to their assistant to bring home and listen to and see what she thought. As she was playing it her son, who was probably about 12 at the time, immediately pegged it as "Blue Monday". She went back and told the producers who freaked because they did totally rip off the chord progression. It's not a sample. They told the record company who then hired a musicologist to analyze the song and see how obvious it was. Long story short they decided to give New Order (or at least the writers of Blue Monday) co-writing credit for Shut Up and Drive since it wasn't simple a sample but their 'hook'.

I know this isn't interesting but I'm bored and day drunk and I like having my name in the same Wikipedia entry as Peter Hook.

Hey, I liked this story, but my dad is a lawyer who used to do IP work for artists who got ripped off or said they got ripped off. He had some fun interviews with a very prominent rapper and his legal team based on a bunch of smaller-time rappers who would get invited to this guy's place for parties, freestyle and riff and poo poo while getting high, then realize later that a lot of their stuff was on his albums with no credit.

Got a lot of settlements, but it's hard to get a big settlement when the witnesses were admittedly intoxicated musicians hanging out at a house-party in the 90s and early oughts. He had similar work from country/blues jam sessions where the big guy in the room would then turn a jam session into his next big hit using his in-house band after the fact. People are lovely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m one of the psychopaths who signed up for See-So.

I never finished Shrink :(

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Scott is spending his whole day trying to answer what is what on Twitter, and it’s not for the usual reason of users being dense. It’s just fairly confusing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Really good CBB and HDTGP today.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay, Leo Karpartze is pushing me over the edge. Take my money, Aukerman, you got me.

Same.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Now they can shift focus from bad and weird games to Death Stranding full-time.

Good, tbh.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Catching up on Bonusnanzas and holy poo poo the Ponderosa Steakhouse saga is great

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It helps that some of the IRL Bonanza scripts were just rapid adaptations of other scripts that didn’t make it as independent standalone works. So some are just re-skinned scifi or police procedurals or whatever plopped into the ponderosa.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Out running and started laughing because in the refrain of Annie's "Chewing Gum," the refrain has a recurring "Oh no" vocoder clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uutT2pMEPqk&t=120s

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

scary ghost dog posted:

prediction: they will increasingly love the first four batman movies and get increasingly bored during the last four

Nicole is on record as having thought the most recent one owned and was not long enough. Of course, she might've been high or drunk in a theater, so rewatching at home for her job might be less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Von Linus posted:

It felt to me like Gabrus doesn't want to steamroll his friends but he's there to steamroll in CBB. Like that's the character.

Similarly, depending on podcast, he'll steamroll as a guest elsewhere. When cohosting raised by TV, he was not there to steamroll Lauren Lapkus. When brought onto Doughboys, his role is to be both self-deprecating as well as the schoolyard roast bully for the Doughboys. This also makes him good for live shows where he's willing to roll Mitch and Nick as well as be more rude to the audience than either of the hosts are willing to be.