Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

If HH is half as funny as what you guys are posting out of context it's probably really bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

cams posted:

are you the guy from last time who tried to win an internet opinion fight about how you don't like hollywood handbook therefore it is bad?

cause you should keep that going

Yeah, that's me, winning internet fights all day long about how HH is bad.

edit: if making fun of HH is wrong I don't want to be right

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Have him listen to 20 more episodes, he'll get it.

Maybe people just don't like this bit, it's the same joke over and over again and it gets old quick.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Everyone here is over analyzing things. It's all funny.

Is it? Seems like the only people that need a deep analysis are the people who had to listen for 20 hours before they "got" it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

cams posted:

it is really okay that people enjoy a thing you do not enjoy. it does not reflect on you negatively.

It is ok, I agree.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya man, it's a podcast. They're all running gags and callbacks.

We get it if you don't like subtle comedy, would prefer people being Scott telling screaming weirdos on CBB to please get off the table.

Right... are you guys loving with me? Subtle comedy? Maybe really I don't get it...

Sinteres posted:

My hot take is that it's okay for people to either like or not like an obscure comedy podcast, and it's really weird to be bothered by other people feeling differently about it.

My hot take, it's a discussion board about podcasts and I am trying to be funny by making fun of HH fans. It's especially funny to me when people get butt hurt over it even though this obscure podcast none of us have heard of called HH has been dominating the thread the past few pages.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

Might be on to something. There's a reason it's your favorite comedians' favorite podcast. (if your favorite comedians are PFT, Tom Scharpling or Julie Klausner)

I like Matt Besser

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Unmerciful posted:

Welp looks like Seeso's officially on death watch. Maybe somebody saves Take My Wife but Bajillion seems unlikely.

As for VRV, their highlighted programs now are apparently:
  • Hidden America with Jonah Ray
  • My Brother, My Brother and Me
  • HarmonQuest
  • Cyanide & Happiness
  • Day 5
  • Fairy Tail
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • SHIELD of Tomorrow
  • Adam Incognito
  • Bravest Warriors
  • Audition
  • Dragon Ball Super
  • Camp Camp
  • My Hero Academia
  • Inside Adam Savage's Cave
  • Red vs. Blue

Imagine paying $10/month for this poo poo... I bet it craters within a year

Edit:

This is awesome

VRV also has funimation, crunchyroll and Cartoon Hangover as part of their standard package so you're getting a lot of content for anime and animation fans.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

Shrink has great performances. I very much enjoyed Hidden America. Matt Besser standup special is only for the truest of fans (it's got some boring parts)

Seconding Shrink, for all you Batlzheads out there.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Is HH worth listening to all the way through or should I start somewhere specific?

You should start with other podcasts that are better.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tarranon posted:

I really didn't think it would be so bad because goons are notorious for over exaggerating UI concerns...but if anything it's even worse than they've described.

If you're going to put your content behind a paywall you better be drat sure people can consume it as easily as they did when it was free. You can't charge people and make it worse. I'm not bothering with stitcher since the howl app was so bad and never improved, they lost me because of that.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

I can't believe the thread didn't explode with joy for this week's i4h. A solo Armen episode, I thought it was beautiful. I know lots of people here don't find intentionally bad improv that funny, but I thought it was a great treat.

I just listened to it, it's amazing, I get why people wouldn't be into it though.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

i liked it but it probably would have been better with a couple more people talking

Maybe, but I feel like it would disrupt the constant awkward pauses after Armen says something that Besser doesn't like.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I love Matt Besser and am ambivalent towards Keven, because it must be sad having nothing to enjoy.

Blocking people is fun, though I wish quoted text would also be blocked.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GraPar posted:

I've seen a few people say this here and elsewhere and I get why, but honestly: if you like Off Book, there will definitely be some musicals you will like a lot. Sondheim is probably the person they take from most in the show, and McKenna in particular is an obsessive of him, so he's a good starting point.

The big difference for me is that Off Book is improvised by comedians, so everything is aimed at humor. In musicals that isn't generally the case.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

Nobody is allowed to complain about musical episodes on I4H anymore because the reveal of the girlfriend's name in last weeks episode was one of the funniest things to happen on the podcast in a longtime.

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard it was so perfect, the timing of the response, everyones reaction in the room, everything.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

How does Feral make money anyways

What is it about "independent artist owned network" that implies money is being made?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

James Bonding was originally on Feral too, wasn't it?

I think it was originally on Kevin Smiths network

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Man, just got around to listening to last weeks I4H and the case closed was brutal. I guess the upside is that if you were confused about what trump supporters believe it really gives you insight into their divine right point of view. I wonder how many sky scrapers that guy is responsible for building and all the crime he's responsible for stopping, if we were all like him we'd really be great!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

fuckin corker of an i4h episode. HI-larious

Definitely, I really enjoyed acoustic K flay too. Eugene is one of my favorites, I enjoy when he plays a really stupid person.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

The fresh food delivery people are the worst. There’s no way to put anything on hold, so you have to log in every now and again to turn the deliveries that are now scheduled to ‘off’ before they mail it out and charge you $50. Very much by design.

It's the Columbia House profit model, they send you stuff automatically and make it hard to cancel so that it feels like it's your fault you owe them money.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Are you saying you didn't think it was weird and hosed up that he was dating someone 20 years younger than him? It's pretty clear his life is his career, it doesn't surprise me at all that he would treat his partner as a real life sex doll. I think a lot of the stuff that she's quoting he'd say were "jokes", but comedians don't get a pass when your partner doesn't want to be joked with, it's still hosed up.

I know she said she didn't like working for his company, but that's what made me aware of her so I hope she has lots of opportunities in the future.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 15, 2018

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I still listen to CBB And I4H every week, I'm in and out with other podcasts though. I don't really enjoy "talk radio" style podcasts, I think those types of podcasts are probably what's most popular so I'm probably the weird one. Every once in a while I'll listen to stuff like "Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend" if there's a guest I'm interested in but honestly it's hard to keep me engaged with that stuff, which I guess lots of people listen passively so that's why those might work for other people?

My regular rotation right now is CBB, I4H, Off Book, Harmontown, Bad Science, and every once in a while the Conan show and Bunny Ears. I'll probably be getting back into D&D podcasts soon, there's a lot of Nerd Poker and Adventure Zone I'll be able to binge on.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I haven't listened to the episode, and I'm sure it's funny, but I just realized how much I don't like Doug Benson when I saw his name for the HH episode.

This is how I feel any time I see Sean and Hayes listed on shows I like.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

...pretty sure that was a joke. Or am I the dumb one?

Only the best comedy leaves you wondering if it was a joke...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who has never seen Cats and really only knows about its reputation as "that terrible crazy cat musical where maybe they're from space?" I am very confused 10 minutes into this.

So the thing about cats is that it doesn't have a story, it's literally just a bunch of cat introductions and then at the end they all get abducted or die?

This sequel is perfect.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

the Insane Piano posted:

i mean, it's not really the caliber of the guest that is the issue for me.

Let me get this straight, you legitimately believe that Michelle Obama would be a guest on a podcast that has had several season finales where OJ saves the day with his white Bronco...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

This one is my favorite

https://youtu.be/EvfvstDunAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Good improv4humans this week. Got to hear how Bob Ducca is holding up with the pandemic.

It was a good one! I also learned that they sell an I4H grinder, so I picked one of those up.