Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

barkingclam posted:

I liked this ep, but was anyone else thrown by Besser's reaction to the Hitler teapot story? Here it sounds like he's hearing it for the first time. I wonder if they recorded this a couple of weeks ago and pushed it back for some reason.

It seemed that way, particularly with Oscar Pistorius being brought up twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

SpacePig posted:

I have a dream that one day, there will be an I4H episode with Poehler, Roberts and Walsh. I would absolutely love to see how that episode goes.

If you haven't seen it, the ASSSSSCAT DVD has the four main UCB members, along with Horatio, Sean Conroy, Chad Carter, and Andy Daly in what I feel was the best improv moment ever.
But watching the original 4 play off each other is pretty spectacular and I do hope for that I4H episode.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

escape artist posted:

Is "Analyze Phish" any good?

I love Harris and Scott... but it seems like the premise could run thin pretty quickly.

vvv That's a shame. vvv

I have never listened to Phish, so I have no feelings one way or the other on the band, but I love the show. It's a lot more intimate of a show since you're basically listening to two friends chat. Adam Scott shows up in episode 3 and episode 4 is amazing.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I think it's just one of Besser's go-to voices. I distinctly remember him using It on UCB, Crossballs, and I want to say the ASSSSCAT DVD.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Eltoasto posted:

It's awesome, I especially love the moment that happens almost every episode where June blows their minds with a theory or observation they hadn't thought of.

But really...

what is a street fighter?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I really liked it, since it was kind of back towards the original premise, only without Scott.

Although the dynamic felt different to me. Wittels and Scott seems like two buddies talking, with one of them razzing the other. Harris and Tom was more like...trying to explain your obsession with an older coworker.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I had a moment during that Karini (sp?) where I was like "oh no... I dig this..."

Then Harris skipped ahead and the weird piano started losing me and that last skip to a happy tune put me back in dislike.

I am curious what would happen if they just did one full song, so it could actually progress rather than just feel disconnected.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a reason that How Did This Get Made hasn't had a VPN episode (I haven't spotted one anyway) ? Do they not record at the Earwolf studio?

I think they have said it's just really difficult since they are all on crazy schedules so it's hard to get them all in one place at one time, let alone at a specific time.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah they do it remotely over Skype or something? I never picked up on that (I'm guessing they've said this a hundred times now...)

Sometimes they do, though you can distinctly hear the ones where Jason is via skype. I think it's just hard to get them all in the studio on a Thursday at whatever hour.

I wish I remember which minisode had Paul talk about it. He said they're working on it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

urk the quack posted:

You guys should give the Affirmation Nation episode with Mantzoukas a shot, it's insane. Episode #130.

I was coming in to say this. I've made a
LOT of people listen to this and it gets funnier EVERY TIME.

I hear marimba!

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I'm kinda in love with Kerri Kenney-Silver since seeing some of her Cake Like videos. Sigh.

I'm a fan of Cake Like, and I honest to god have never seen anyone else mention them.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Help Im Alive posted:

Jessica St. Clair tweeted a couple of months ago that she recorded something with Don Dimello so I'm guessing Wompler will be on there.

It speaks volumes for how fully realized Marissa Wompler is that knowing she'll be with Don makes me worried for her.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

anotherone posted:

Andy Daly has a real obsession with international waters.

I SO want him to appear on CBB (or his own podcast if he sees fit) as the guy all his characters know that lives on International Waters.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

anotherone posted:

I don't remember the episode that well, was the Irish poet character a psychopath? I feel like maybe he was suicidally depressed but not actively a mass-murderer, is that right? What about the German traveller? Pretty sure he was coming to the US to commit suicide on the Hollywood sign, but I don't think he had killed anyone.

I'm just trying to remember in my head if Andy Daly has any characters who aren't serial killers.

I don't THINK our favorite water skiing Hot Dog has killed anyone.

I wonder if Andi Callihan will ever come back. It's probably his weakest character but he was also on the first episode with Gilly so it has a soft spot in my heart.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I wouldn't mind a bit of a reboot on his characters. You can tell when he goes on CBB now, he and Scott struggle to remember ALL the canon and will start going down a path, remember they did it, and then stop.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Zsinjeh posted:

While we're cumming hard over Andy Daly I want to give a special shout out to the theme song. It's loving catchy as all hell.

It's catchy to the point that the intro and outro to the commercials using it makes me sad that it ends so abruptly.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Here's the strangest minor complaint you'll hear all day: Earwolf needs to swap out the photo of Jason Mantzoukas they use as it really doesn't resemble the guy anymore, and for some reason beyond me reminds me of the photo of Mohamed Atta that the news kept using after 9/11, despite the fact the two don't resemble each other in the slightest.

Also, I thought that the upcoming Live Andy Daly podcast was the same character as from his Nine Sweaters CD, the Irish guy who tells seemingly innocent stories until they take a dark and twisted turn, but they have different names. Same character or different?

It's the same character he played on CBB, episode "Introducing Rocky".

Also, I kinda dig Jason's picture. I don't think it's looked like him since he even started appearing on Earwolf programs. I makes me think of that young picture of Stalin.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm concerned that it sounds like Scott and Scott have been discussing a format switch once they've covered every possible U2 related topic in exhaustive detail. Are these guys even going to be worth listening to when they aren't talking about U2?

I can't imagine them switching away from U2. Where else will I get my Huey Lewis and the News info from?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Maerlyn posted:

On Scott's Reddit IamA, someone suggested PFT have a podcast pilot project of his own which Scott said was a good idea, so I'm fervently hoping that happens this year/next year.

It would actually be really cool to get different seasons of the Podcast Pilot Project, where you could bring in PFT for one, Adomian, Etc. To do characters for like 8 episodes, so they can fit it in their schedules.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I just want Matt Gourley to be on CBB. Oh man I wish I hadn't missed the reddit ama so I could've asked Scott why Matt Gourley hasn't been on CBB yet.

He did a spontaneous Q&A on Twitter. I asked him, but someone else beat me to it:

@scottaukerman posted:

Would love! RT @Metro_Virus: @ScottAukerman Any chance of @MattGourley coming on to the podcast in the future to do his AMAZING H.R. Giger?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Eel hovercraft posted:

Wednesdays feel so empty without a new ep of 'U Talkin' U2 to Me?'.

I can only remember 3 members of U2

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I remember Besser talking about how people say Arkansas is the worst state, and he says that can't be since Mississippi is right there so he was gonna steer Arkansas hate towards Mississippi but that has to of been like...two years ago?

it's been a while

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Roadhouse, if only for Rawdoggin and "give me that baby"

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I'd suggest #63 Fast & Furious 6 w Adam Scott just for their infectious love of the franchise.
I never listened to it but maybe find and download the Smurfs episode with PFT?

I've listened to it, but I honestly don't remember anything about it. I wouldn't say skip it if you find it, but I certainly wouldn't put it on the best of.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

ManoliIsFat posted:

Do you know if it's worth going back to old episodes? I've really enjoyed these 2 new ones.

The call-in for I4H was pretty strange. I never really understood what the heart of the debate was.

Do yourself a favor and go listen to Affirmation Nation #130 with Jason Manzoukas. It's the longest one of the first run (at 15 minutes) but it's one of the best things I've ever heard.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I can't imagine the open revolt that would happen around here if PFT started a new podcast while the Pod F Tompkast laid dormant

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Eltoasto posted:

The earwolf newsletter just teased Horatio news coming tomorrow. Hopefully it's a podcast for driving directions in the LA area.

His driving directions would be perfect for the next Public Domain with Paul F Tompkins. (It is NOT a local LA podcast though)

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

According the musical magazine The Rolling Stones, U2 released the best album of the year.

Thoughts?

It's good rock'n'roll, uh, music

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Drunkboxer posted:

So I've always assumed the transitional songs for the mini podcasts were dropped in later in UTU2TM. The live episode makes seem like they're played on the fly.

I figure they were only playing them on the fly here because there was a live audience expecting them to be played.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I'll still stand with Roadhouse as the best live episode.

GIVE. ME. THAT. BABY.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I didn't get a sense of bad blood from the episode at least. They talked about having the conference call with Earwolf and coming to the decision to move on, and them helping with the transition. I feel like it wouldn't have been as candid or open if there was hard feelings.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I think Colton Dunn is an unsung hero of I4H. All of These Fat Crackers is hilarious and him saying Zach Woods called him the n-word still kills me every time.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

VagueRant posted:

So now if I want to introduce someone to, say, Comedy Bang Bang - I can't point them to the Best Ofs or any other classic episodes anymore?

:smith:

He said the best ofs will remain free, as will stuff like Analyze Phish and UTU2TM

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Matt Gourley is also just super charming as a host. He seems genuinely excited and interested in everyone's story and it's infectious.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Fiendly posted:

I Was There Too is definitely one of my favorite podcasts, maybe even my favorite Gourley podcast, which is saying a lot. I've always been surprised that it never gets mentioned when the topic of hilarious ad reads comes up, because it's the one show where I never skip the ads and the recent Mack Weldon ads are on another level. I was going to make a crack when the show was first starting like "Wonder how long it'll be before this podcast starts going months between episodes..." and unfortunately that time is drawing near, but it maintained consistent updates much longer than I'd expected.

His glee of being allowed to revel in swears and his throwing out just the first word combinations that come to mind is such a delight.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Humanities' loss. I hope you can live with yourself.

Pretty much essentially that. One day I'll dive more into SuperEgo.

Superego is so good. I actually signed up for Howl so I could listen to the first two seasons.

Plus, all the episodes are like 30 minutes long (season 1 is more like 15, season 2 is like 20) so it's relatively easy to go through.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

whydirt posted:

The Travel Bug with August Lindt is still my favorite of the podcast pilots, but Patrick McMahon is a close second.

I'd say it's those two, followed by the first 4/20 episode of I4H and the episode of Affirmation Nation- Behind the Scenes (130) where Bob records the poem "Who catches the Dream Catcher?"

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Not Operator posted:

By the way, I don't know how I can hold the opinion that trumpet guy was some sort of nadir when I know it happened around the same time John Gemberling half-ironically defended beastiality.

You're gonna have to be more specific when it comes to Gemberling defending beastiality.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I'm gonna echo what's already been said and say that everybody's gotta watch this. By the end of the episode, I was losing my drat mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Eel hovercraft posted:

Oh poo poo, I hope ADPPP isn't going entirely behind a paywall :(. I still listen to the August Lindt ep from time to time.

I could have sworn they said that it wouldn't. I'm hoping they'll do it like UTU2TM.