Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ahz posted:

$4 well spent. I tell myself I would like to do a full re-read before MoL, but it wont happen.

Mine took 6 months. And the book 9/10 blues hit hard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I might re-read the re-read on Tor's site over the month or so before AMoL's release, just to refresh myself on who's where and why.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Same. I've read all the books and re-read some, but drat, does it get crazy messy. Sometimes i wish there was a nice excel spreadsheet with all the relationships and whatnot cross referenced.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Smashurbanipal posted:

Same. I've read all the books and re-read some, but drat, does it get crazy messy. Sometimes i wish there was a nice excel spreadsheet with all the relationships and whatnot cross referenced.

Seriously? http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ I dunno maybe you were joking, it's hard to tell anymore.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

There are a million things like this and they all rule.

I hope some of the characters in the books realize these things. Probably won't happen, but ~who knows~

My favorite thing is how Thom assassinated Taringail Damodred. Not just because Thom is a badass player of Daes Dae'mar, but because he then went on to bang Taringail's wife AND his sister, and that's just rubbing salt in the wound.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Ponsonby Britt posted:

My favorite thing is how Thom assassinated Taringail Damodred. Not just because Thom is a badass player of Daes Dae'mar, but because he then went on to bang Taringail's wife AND his sister, and that's just rubbing salt in the wound.

I love that he also killed the king of Caheiren. Its one of those bits that can be glossed over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ponsonby Britt posted:

He also went on to assassinate Barthanes. If you're a Damodred and you meet Thomdril Merrilin you're getting stabbed, and it's a good job for Moiraine that he fancied using pork instead of steel in her case.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Barthanes was probably killed by Darkfriends (maybe even Verin), IIRC.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Jedit posted:

He also went on to assassinate Barthanes. If you're a Damodred and you meet Thomdril Merrilin you're getting stabbed, and it's a good job for Moiraine that he fancied using pork instead of steel in her case.

Bahaha.

gently caress I didn't even realize how badass Thom is; I've always loved reading his arcs, but it never registered to me much of a badass he is. I've been reading this series since I was...10? I've reread this series so many times but now I'm worried I've been missing a lot :ohdear:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Something I haven't seen discussed in the prologue spoiler talks: What the hell happened to Graendal? Is she in a new body or did she just get that hosed up by/as her punishment? There's probably something about this mirroring a little of the real mythology as well for extra irony, couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Moggy giggling from schadenfreude was the best part :v:

And I assume it was her in the silk dress that met with Isam, as he did not recognize her and she'd have every reason to be pissed off at Rand.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I think my favorite part of the prologue was the quick reference that Moridin went and rescued Lanfear from the finns himself. I like to imagine he just went in there and wrecked poo poo then killed Lanfear to boot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

api call girl posted:

Well, there goes a perfectly good joke, sacrificed on the altar of Spergy Pedantry. :cry:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jedit posted:

Well, there goes a perfectly good joke, sacrificed on the altar of Spergy Pedantry. :cry:

No worries, because what Thom actually did was kill Galladrian in a rage after Galladrian sent assassins to Thoms apartment and killed his lover when Rand (a mysterious outland "noble" who snubbed the king's invitation) was spotted leaving his room.

Thom Merrilin singlehandedly began the Carheinin civil war. Then went on a bender that didn't end until he was found by Mat in Tar Valon.

There's a joke in there somewhere I'm sure.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Thom certainly proves that you don't need to be a channeler to stir up some serious poo poo.

I can only imagine his Shadow counterpart: A non-channeler Chosen that didn't have any special magical powers... That would be a truly scary character :aaaaa:

Just sits around castle Doomdeathdark playing cards, drinking and being smug as gently caress around the other Chosen (well, everyone - but especially them). Drops cryptic foreshadowing comments in every scene he's in; "Imagine three Ta'veren on the edge of a cliff... " :dukedog:

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Lyon posted:

I think my favorite part of the prologue was the quick reference that Moridin went and rescued Lanfear from the finns himself. I like to imagine he just went in there and wrecked poo poo then killed Lanfear to boot.
I think this was actually confirmed in Towers of Midnight. Moiraine tells about a guy coming up, messing with the finns and killing Lanfear or something.

Does anyone else think it's funny how Graendal keeps not dying? At the end of Gathering Storm everyone thinks she's dead because of ultra-balefire, but ToM begins with her in the prologue. And at the end of ToM everyone thinks Moridin kills her, but there she is again in the prologue. The epilogue will have her crawling out of the rubble of Mount Dhoom or something.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
I thought Graendal DID die and was resurrected in her new ugly body.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paytizzle posted:

I thought Graendal DID die and was resurrected in her new ugly body.

This is my interpretation as well.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I was talking more about perma-dying, since that's what I thought both times. In Gathering Storm it was balefire so I figured that's that, and in ToM her dying for reals seemed to fit with her story in that book.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
TGS didn't fool me for a second about Graendal. As soon as I read that scene my second thought (after "holy poo poo Rand is gonna blow up the world") was, there's no way I'd have gotten all this buildup about sneaky sneaky Graendal for her to get offed like that. Was I the only one?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Eric the Mauve posted:

TGS didn't fool me for a second about Graendal. As soon as I read that scene my second thought (after "holy poo poo Rand is gonna blow up the world") was, there's no way I'd have gotten all this buildup about sneaky sneaky Graendal for her to get offed like that. Was I the only one?

I thought that Rand had done exactly what he'd said he'd done. Sat down at the table, pretended to play the game, and then punched his opponent in the face. I was suprised when Graendal survived.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: UK gets the prologue on 10/2 :siren:

quote:

Orbit UK is thrilled to announce that we can release an early ebook edition of “By Grace and Banners Fallen”, the prologue to A MEMORY OF LIGHT [UK | ANZ] on 2 October 2012, ahead of publication of the hardback next January. This early ebook version of the prologue will be available in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and all our international markets where Orbit UK digital editions are usually sold.

And by early ebook version, they mean 2 weeks later than everybody else.

:britain:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

ElMudo posted:

I thought that Rand had done exactly what he'd said he'd done. Sat down at the table, pretended to play the game, and then punched his opponent in the face. I was suprised when Graendal survived.

Yeah, that was all kinds of bullshit with her pulling a completely new and unheard of "move" out from her rear end.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 24, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah, that was all kinds of bullshit with her pulling a completely new and unheard of "move" out from her rear end.

What, showing how the Shadow uses their Shadoweyes (ravens, rats, etc.) is just explaining/embellishing a mechanic that was already there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

api call girl posted:

What, showing how the Shadow uses their Shadoweyes (ravens, rats, etc.) is just explaining/embellishing a mechanic that was already there.

It's not quite explaining, because according to the old mechanic the Shadoweyes actually had to report. It is a pretty reasonable embellishment of it though: presumably the standard mechanic applies to Myrdrall and this one to users of the TP.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here is Jason from dragonmount.com waxing poetic about the final version of the book he just finished reading. There's no spoilers contained in his pseudo-review.

Edit: Having said that, if you plan to go into media blackout until the book is realeased, don't read it. There are a few sentences that mention names. Nothing earthshattering, but still.

It owns, thats all you need to know.

http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php/News/amol/dear-robert-jordan

quote:

Dear Robert Jordan,

Today I read your final book. The end of The Wheel of Time came to my hands nearly twenty years after I first picked up its beginning. It was a story well told, a story whose ending lived up to the promises made so very long ago. I’m writing in order to tell you a little about it.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 24, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cartoon Man posted:

:siren: UK gets the prologue on 10/2 :siren:

And by early ebook version, they mean 2 weeks later than everybody else.

:britain:

Mentioning the UK and then using an american dating scheme almost made me pop a blood vessel when I thought for an instant we weren't even getting the early prologue until halfway through February

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Willie Tomg posted:

No worries, because what Thom actually did was kill Galladrian in a rage after Galladrian sent assassins to Thoms apartment and killed his lover when Rand (a mysterious outland "noble" who snubbed the king's invitation) was spotted leaving his room.

Thom Merrilin singlehandedly began the Carheinin civil war. Then went on a bender that didn't end until he was found by Mat in Tar Valon.

There's a joke in there somewhere I'm sure.

I love how Moiraine knows both this and that he was responsible for Taringail's death.

e: V Absolutely, and he's very impressed in return that she picked up on it V

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 25, 2012

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I love how Moiraine knows both this and that he was responsible for Taringail's death.

It's a mark in his favor if anything. She has a fairly disdainful opinion of the rest of her family.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
His "let sleeping dogs lie" rejoinder is great, too.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Cartoon Man posted:

Here is Jason from dragonmount.com waxing poetic about the final version of the book he just finished reading. There's no spoilers contained in his pseudo-review.

Edit: Having said that, if you plan to go into media blackout until the book is realeased, don't read it. There are a few sentences that mention names. Nothing earthshattering, but still.

It owns, thats all you need to know.

http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php/News/amol/dear-robert-jordan

I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a little reading that. Also (really minor chapter spoiler) a 50,000 word chapter!? Holy poo poo, that is going to be loving epic.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

api call girl posted:

He was "torn to pieces" which (on a reread) I always assumed to be an early gholam attack. It's when he says he "has one more person to kill" and then finds out Barthanes is already dead. Then Zara tells him they aren't Barthanes men anyways, and he heads off to kill Galldrian. (I didn't remember all of this, I'm looking at the book, so I know it's accurate)

Popular Human posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a little reading that. Also (really minor chapter spoiler) a 50,000 word chapter!? Holy poo poo, that is going to be loving epic.

To be fair, if it's a Sanderson chapter, it doesn't really mean much. He likes to bounce around viewpoints during battle scenes and climax chapters. And RJ did it to an extent as well in a few places, though not with as much frequency as BS.

subx fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 25, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

subx posted:

To be fair, if it's a Sanderson chapter, it doesn't really mean much. He likes to bounce around viewpoints during battle scenes and climax chapters. And RJ did it to an extent as well in a few places, though not with as much frequency as BS.

RJ's combat scenes always had that feeling of realness to them (perhaps from his real life combat experience). You don't get the full picture, poo poo goes down everywhere, the characters aren't in control of the flow and suddenly it's over (See the Mat bits in the battle for Cairhien). You get a couple of jumps to advance time faster but the other characters usually don't know that much more than any other.

Other ways of doing combat scenes might be more coherent or "awesome" but I rather like RJ's style.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

subx posted:

He was "torn to pieces" which (on a reread) I always assumed to be an early gholam attack. It's when he says he "has one more person to kill" and then finds out Barthanes is already dead. Then Zara tells him they aren't Barthanes men anyways, and he heads off to kill Galldrian. (I didn't remember all of this, I'm looking at the book, so I know it's accurate)

This would be pretty early for the gholam. Remember the Barthanes event is even before the time-forward-skip with the portal stones, so this, chronologically, is WAY the HELL early, even before most of the second batch of Forsaken have had time to establish themselves, much less go hunting for stasis boxes in their spare time.

For reference, I think this is about the same time Rahvin is establishing himself as a fighter for Morgase in the presumably Whitecloak-instigated riots in Caemlyn.

quote:

From what I can remember, when BS actually hits a battle scene or climax he tends to do it with just the one POV all the way through whatever the scene is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
RJ wrote combat scenes with a veteran's perspective: chaotic, violent, fragmented, and often in partial flashback. The narrating character in a Jordan battle usually doesn't have a drat clue what's going on until several days afterwards.

Sanderson writes battle scenes in a more cinematic style, because his experience of battles comes via film and as a storyteller. His viewpoint characters tend to act more as cameras that tell the story, instead of confused narrators trying to piece the story together.

Both can be "awesome" but they work along different mechanics. It's Stanley Kubrick/Apocalypse Now battle sequences vs. Peter Jackson/Return of the King battle sequences. Jordan's more visceral, Sanderson's more dramatic.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 25, 2012

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Popular Human posted:

What is this, a Malazan book? Dang that'll be ridiculous.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: Chapter 1: Eastward the Wind Blew :siren:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/09/read-qeastward-the-wind-blewq-the-first-chapter-of-a-memory-of-light

You'll need to register. I'm trying to get the chapter to load, but either its messed up on their side, or my work internet is blocking it.

EDIT: Ok, its fixed now, go go GO!

Double edit: Skimmed through it...

:stare:

:gonk:

:tviv:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 26, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cartoon Man posted:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/09/read-qeastward-the-wind-blewq-the-first-chapter-of-a-memory-of-light

You'll need to register. I'm trying to get the chapter to load, but either its messed up on their side, or my work internet is blocking it.

I really, really like Rand in this chapter.

My Friend Radio
Nov 6, 2003
Clichéd

Cartoon Man posted:

Ok, now I'm really, really excited for this book. Everyone's going to be in the same place again, and it's going to be intense as hell.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Wow that was a good first chapter, I like how Sanderson really dives right into the story. No time to waste!

Rand and Perrin are awesome. I also like that Egwene has a legitimate reason for opposing Rand and has done research to back up her position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

gently caress yeah Talmanes :black101:

• Locked thread