Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm just glad to see that Rand and Perrin are bros again. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

I just can't bring myself to read the prologue or first chapter; I want everything to be fresh when I get the book in my hands, and its getting harder and harder to resist the black bars.

I think it may be time to quit the thread for a few months.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I feel like they've released the beginning of the chapter before.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Haraksha posted:

I feel like they've released the beginning of the chapter before.

Brandon read it at Comicon and Tor posted it online afterward.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Haha, I like how Nynaeve can now just HEAL BLAST from range.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I really love Rand's thoughts on Demandred researching war back in the AOL and how they really had almost nothing to go by.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cartoon Man posted:

I really love Rand's thoughts on Demandred researching war back in the AOL and how they really had almost nothing to go by.

And him coming to the conclusion that he turned Demandred to the shadow basically by being a twat to him. Wish this had been reflected somehow by Rand alienating a potential ally through arrogance.

Anyway I read it at work and didn't even feel bad about it. So psyched for this. It.. kinda sorta.. somehow feels like Jordan is still better at characterisation and conversations between characters but Sanderson is young and I am thrilled to have such a hard working and awesome writer to follow for the rest of my adult years.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

When Nynaeve Healed Talmanes, I couldn't help but imagine the weaves bursting from her chest Care Bears style. I think that's how I'm going to picture Healing from here on out.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I made a somewhat more disturbing mental connection

:stare:

(Be afraid people who don't read the spoilers, be very afraid)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Affi posted:

And him coming to the conclusion that he turned Demandred to the shadow basically by being a twat to him. Wish this had been reflected somehow by Rand alienating a potential ally through arrogance.

Anyway I read it at work and didn't even feel bad about it. So psyched for this. It.. kinda sorta.. somehow feels like Jordan is still better at characterisation and conversations between characters but Sanderson is young and I am thrilled to have such a hard working and awesome writer to follow for the rest of my adult years.

You mean basically everyone Rand encounters, right? Because throughout the books that's precisely what he's best at. And everyone who reads these books (these forums not excepted) would pretty much always take the position that Rand's not arrogant enough. How dare these mere peasants etc etc their lord and savior?

Oh, and also Taim. You could draw a pretty good case of Taim not always having been a false flag operator. I mean, you manage to keep yourself more or less sane for a decade's worth of channeling, escape a bunch of Aes Sedai, trek through miles of danger and right through a heavily Saldaean-guarded city that hates your guts, to bring a SEAL and yourself to a promised amnesty from someone you had hoped to be mere months before, and the first thing he does is push you away from where the action is and tells you to start an entire school for him for which he will eventually get all the credit, and shows up at every opportunity to slight you at every turn, all the while doing the conquering himself.

Christ, I'd have pulled a Demandred myself. It gets so I wonder if Rand will apologize to M'Hael before killing him.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 27, 2012

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Prologue owned. Chapter 1 owned. This book will probably own. I am so excited for this book and it can't come out soon enough.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Honestly, coming from book 10 of a reread into this, I STILL think Sanderson is a phenomenally clunky writer a lot of the time.

Examples being:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

They went out into the night. Several Maidens fell into step behind them as Rand walked toward Sebban Balwer, whose services Perrin had loaned to Rand. Which was fine with Balwer, who was prone to gravitate toward those holding the greatest power.

Weird rhythm, a sentence starting with WHICH right after the previous, which makes for a really awkward transition. Tacked on expository bits or characterization which would stand better as separate sentences, etc. He's got this really bad habit of forming sentences as "RELEVANT NARRATIVE <COMMA> AWKWARDLY SHOEHORNED EXTRA INFO"

The Queen wore a pale green dress, her belly increasingly swollen from the babes within.

Who has ever used the word swollen in this context? Wtf?

Sure as the wind and the sky, Perrin had become a king.

This is an awful sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I will enjoy this book and I will be pre-ordering the next Stormlight, but there's a lot of improvement to be made in Sanderson's word choice and sentence construction. This entire chapter is full of bizarre fragments and bad transitions. He only pays the briefest lip service to any sort of visual description, but maybe that's just compensation for RJ's craziness. Regardless, "pale green dress" is a worthless descriptor and if that's as far as you're going to take it, you might as well not bother.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

AlternateAccount posted:

Who has ever used the word swollen in this context? Wtf?

https://www.google.com/search?q=swollen+pregnant+belly

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Brandon Sanderson should write the last 1-3 books for every epic fantasy series. Avalanches as far as the eye can see!

fraidykat
May 8, 2004

Not too brave...
I cannot wait to read the part where Moraine pops up and says, "sup bitches? Guess who's back from the dead?"

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

api call girl posted:

You mean basically everyone Rand encounters, right? Because throughout the books that's precisely what he's best at. And everyone who reads these books (these forums not excepted) would pretty much always take the position that Rand's not arrogant enough. How dare these mere peasants etc etc their lord and savior?

Oh, and also Taim. You could draw a pretty good case of Taim not always having been a false flag operator. I mean, you manage to keep yourself more or less sane for a decade's worth of channeling, escape a bunch of Aes Sedai, trek through miles of danger and right through a heavily Saldaean-guarded city that hates your guts, to bring a SEAL and yourself to a promised amnesty from someone you had hoped to be mere months before, and the first thing he does is push you away from where the action is and tells you to start an entire school for him for which he will eventually get all the credit, and shows up at every opportunity to slight you at every turn, all the while doing the conquering himself.

Christ, I'd have pulled a Demandred myself. It gets so I wonder if Rand will apologize to M'Hael before killing him.

More likely, it's still entirely justifiable(if wrong) paranoia and insanity. He did get started by trying to push all his friends away, keeping only his enemies close, and then from there, started applying how he treats his foes to pretty much everyone. Plus a power trip.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

veekie posted:

More likely, it's still entirely justifiable(if wrong) paranoia and insanity. He did get started by trying to push all his friends away, keeping only his enemies close, and then from there, started applying how he treats his foes to pretty much everyone. Plus a power trip.

That's what arrogance is.

Oh and I just realized another parallel. Mesaana was originally denied a research position at the Collam Daan and had to go be a school administrator/teacher.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I've half convinced myself that Luc and Isam are the same person, physically at least. They seem to have different looks, different personalities, but bits here and there tend to convince me otherwise.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm just glad to see that Rand and Perrin are bros again. :allears:

Same. Can not wait for Mat to join in on the brofest :toot:

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Skellen posted:

I've half convinced myself that Luc and Isam are the same person, physically at least. They seem to have different looks, different personalities, but bits here and there tend to convince me otherwise.

Wait... so do we think that Ben and Glory are connected somehow?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

api call girl posted:

You mean basically everyone Rand encounters, right?

I meant as in Rand turning someone to the shadow directly through his actions and arrogance. (I realize he distances himself from allies through his arrogance) Taim doesn't count because he is obviously a dreadlord when they first meet.

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Wait... so do we think that Ben and Glory are connected somehow?

Only if Moiraine is Giles :colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Affi posted:

I meant as in Rand turning someone to the shadow directly through his actions and arrogance. (I realize he distances himself from allies through his arrogance) Taim doesn't count because he is obviously a dreadlord when they first meet.

Taim is not that obviously a dreadlord until somewhat later, when he starts associating with the actual obvious dreadlords.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I read that spoiler about Nynaeve at the top of the page. Peace out everybody, see you after I've read the book!

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Am I alone in thinking that Rand has no actual intention of breaking the seals on the day he states? I think he knows they must be broken, but he isn't ready to do it yet. He stated that he would do it that day for two reasons:
  • Force everyone to meet him, whether they agreed or disagreed.
  • Better bargaining position. He can afford to give up breaking them right then to force Egwene and others opposed to his plan to agree to something else, say the Dragon's Peace or an assault on Shayol Ghul.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ElMudo posted:

Am I alone in thinking that Rand has no actual intention of breaking the seals on the day he states? I think he knows they must be broken, but he isn't ready to do it yet. He stated that he would do it that day for two reasons:
  • Force everyone to meet him, whether they agreed or disagreed.
  • Better bargaining position. He can afford to give up breaking them right then to force Egwene and others opposed to his plan to agree to something else, say the Dragon's Peace or an assault on Shayol Ghul.

Quite likely yes. The true purpose of the whole event was to get everybody in the same place, united in strength. What they unite for is less important than uniting, the Dark One thrives on discord.

uugengiven
Aug 21, 2007
Shows on the bear where you touched him
My guess on Taim is he had training in the blight village of Aiel, which is why he used the "so-called Aiel" line. This is a town so they must be making deals with the dark one to remain sane enough to be dread lords, he probably made the same deal, which is also why he knows so many weaves for killing that he teaches the Asha'man.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

uugengiven posted:

My guess on Taim is he had training in the blight village of Aiel, which is why he used the "so-called Aiel" line. This is a town so they must be making deals with the dark one to remain sane enough to be dread lords, he probably made the same deal, which is also why he knows so many weaves for killing that he teaches the Asha'man.

The first is neither here nor there, but you'd think that any Darkfriend who goes there would be acutely aware that THOSE aren't the real Aiel and that's why they're over there and the second well uh, unless you're saying that every single False Dragon who could channel in the past 3000 years have gone through dreadlord training as a Darkfriend, including Logain, well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Democratic Pirate posted:

gently caress yeah Talmanes :black101:

I don't really have much to add, but I broke down and bought the prologue. And this quoted post sums up my feelings after finishing. drat, that was impressive.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I don't really have much to add, but I broke down and bought the prologue. And this quoted post sums up my feelings after finishing. drat, that was impressive.

Help us convince Maytag to become a Darkfriend...

:getin:

uugengiven
Aug 21, 2007
Shows on the bear where you touched him

api call girl posted:

The first is neither here nor there, but you'd think that any Darkfriend who goes there would be acutely aware that THOSE aren't the real Aiel and that's why they're over there and the second well uh, unless you're saying that every single False Dragon who could channel in the past 3000 years have gone through dreadlord training as a Darkfriend, including Logain, well.

Taim has been mentioned again and again as holding off the madness the longest of any known man by far. That was one of the main arguments for him being Demandred. I don't know why that village wouldn't think of themselves as the 'true' Aiel, since what we know as the Aiel are just as false. No one self identifies as the fake version of a group. They are the real ones, everyone else is a pretender. I would bet that any darkfriend that goes to the village and tells them that they aren't the real Aiel are suddenly liquified.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
I can't believe it took me so long to realize why Lanfear should still be alive and important to the story.
If Rand wants to close up the bore so that it's as perfectly sealed as he can make it, who better to help than the person who created the bore in the first place?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Recursive Expanse posted:

I can't believe it took me so long to realize why Lanfear should still be alive and important to the story.
If Rand wants to close up the bore so that it's as perfectly sealed as he can make it, who better to help than the person who created the bore in the first place?

I don't know...from the first chapter posted, it seems like Rand wants to do something more drastic than just closing the Bore/resealing it. Like, he wants to kill the DO or something. At least that's what I gleaned from his inner dialogue.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

uugengiven posted:

Taim has been mentioned again and again as holding off the madness the longest of any known man by far. That was one of the main arguments for him being Demandred. I don't know why that village wouldn't think of themselves as the 'true' Aiel, since what we know as the Aiel are just as false. No one self identifies as the fake version of a group. They are the real ones, everyone else is a pretender. I would bet that any darkfriend that goes to the village and tells them that they aren't the real Aiel are suddenly liquified.

Simple, the Aiel are pledged to serve the Aes Sedai. The only Aes Sedai of their era that remain are the Forsaken.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

uugengiven posted:

This makes sense to me. Hopefully we get a Taim POV in MOL to fill in more of his backstory and motivations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Midniter posted:

I don't know...from the first chapter posted, it seems like Rand wants to do something more drastic than just closing the Bore/resealing it. Like, he wants to kill the DO or something. At least that's what I gleaned from his inner dialogue.

Yeah, the awkward dangly sentence that was basically BUT COULD SOMETHING SO AUDACIOUS ACTUALLY WORK!??!! just sort of teased in the most awful way.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I am so impressed by the bait and switch pulled in the description of the prologue. What was it - a Forsaken stands newly revealed?
How many people were NOT expecting Demandred to finally pull his cloak and mask off and tell those meddling kids that he would have gotten away with it, too.
I was genuinely surprised by that reveal.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, the awkward dangly sentence that was basically BUT COULD SOMETHING SO AUDACIOUS ACTUALLY WORK!??!! just sort of teased in the most awful way.

He's gonna completely destroy the Dark One's prison and because the Dark One himself embodies paradox, freeing him will actually trap him. Wordplay, bitch.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I've been Audiobooking the series in anticipation of the latest book being released, I'm up to book seven and I think I've realized the exact moment the plot goes off the rails - right when RJ starts describing how Aes Sedai rank themselves in priority because half of this book so far had just been "NUH UH I outrank YOU" so far. Giving serious consideration to just skipping to book 11 which is a shame because the audio performance has gotten very very good since its shaky start.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tithin Melias posted:

I've been Audiobooking the series in anticipation of the latest book being released, I'm up to book seven and I think I've realized the exact moment the plot goes off the rails - right when RJ starts describing how Aes Sedai rank themselves in priority because half of this book so far had just been "NUH UH I outrank YOU" so far. Giving serious consideration to just skipping to book 11 which is a shame because the audio performance has gotten very very good since its shaky start.

This leads to a question: How does an organization with such an idiotic ranking system maintain the sort of control the Aes Sedai have over the kings of Randland? Stupid but powerful people would be constantly coming in and screwing everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

caleramaen posted:

This leads to a question: How does an organization with such an idiotic ranking system maintain the sort of control the Aes Sedai have over the kings of Randland? Stupid but powerful people would be constantly coming in and screwing everything up.

See: Elaida.

I think the important thing to remember is that the most important position is elected. Strength is a factor, but competence and the ability to make allies in the other ajahs plays a stronger role. A political competent leader at the helm is really the driving force behind their ability to manipulate the world.

Additionally, I don't think it's ever stated how someone comes to be the head of the ajah. Given that it's a secret position, strength can't be the determining factor, otherwise everyone would instantly know who the head of each ajah is.

• Locked thread