Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Sorry but Taim has been around for way longer then Demandred has been free of his prison. It's only been two years since eotw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Ponsonby Britt posted:

My favorite thing is how Thom assassinated Taringail Damodred. Not just because Thom is a badass player of Daes Dae'mar, but because he then went on to bang Taringail's wife AND his sister, and that's just rubbing salt in the wound.

I love that he also killed the king of Caheiren. Its one of those bits that can be glossed over.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cartoon Man posted:

I really love Rand's thoughts on Demandred researching war back in the AOL and how they really had almost nothing to go by.

And him coming to the conclusion that he turned Demandred to the shadow basically by being a twat to him. Wish this had been reflected somehow by Rand alienating a potential ally through arrogance.

Anyway I read it at work and didn't even feel bad about it. So psyched for this. It.. kinda sorta.. somehow feels like Jordan is still better at characterisation and conversations between characters but Sanderson is young and I am thrilled to have such a hard working and awesome writer to follow for the rest of my adult years.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

api call girl posted:

You mean basically everyone Rand encounters, right?

I meant as in Rand turning someone to the shadow directly through his actions and arrogance. (I realize he distances himself from allies through his arrogance) Taim doesn't count because he is obviously a dreadlord when they first meet.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pimpmust posted:

Unrelated:
The 13x13 thing is one of those big things we've heard a lot about and I'm still curious about the details.

It appears to be a sort of taint/true power compulsion weave (if a lot less random than the taint),
Unlike the taint it doesn't appear to make people crazy - just EVIL and as stated, draws out all the worst in people (so kinda like the dark ones slow touch that started the decay of the old civilization).
Everyone turned instantly goes full darkfriend, either from their "new perspective on life" or from some other mechanism. Makes you wonder what's the point of a mindtrap too, unless that is somehow more reliable (or just to fill the evil quota).

But if that is all there was too it you'd think that there would be some Chosen like that - what's not to like from the Shadow's perspective? You instantly get people that are everything the Dark One wants them to be without any of those triffling loyalty issues (i.e Lanfear, Graendal, Mogheiden etc). Get a strong enough dude/experienced and he should be more than a match for any of the Chosen on all levels.

Unless... it got some limitation? Is it unreliable? Does it lower their capabilities in some way? (Like making it very difficult for them to chew their vegetables :haw:), does it make people TOO dickish so that loyalty issues are even more of a concern? And the obvious one: Can it be reversed?

Or maybe they only turn a bunch of chumps? (Well, now maybe - dunno about during the Age of Legends)

Seems like a poor infiltration tool, what with people being able to see the EVIL IN THEIR EYES and the almost equally obvious personality changes. You'd think people would pay more attention if that kind secretary suddenly turned into Mr Burns, but apparently it fools plenty of people.

So many questions from a (simple, scary) plot device!

I imagine it affects the personality of the one turned in some way. Makes them inhuman, makes them into something that can't even reason the way a human can. I hope we get more information on it in the book because its really interesting.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

The Midniter posted:

You can hold the Power, but not channel, right? If a gentled man is going to die soon anyway, might as well just use an Oath rod to swear to not channel, but still allow him to touch the Source. Let him go mad, but don't deprive him of the only thing he's got going for him! Besides, it'd be a lot more fun to see a bunch of insane man running around than sad, broken gentled men moping their way to an early death.

Obviously this is a moot point now that the taint is gone, but still..

Actually I posit that the oath rod won't work on somebody crazy enough.

See Mesaana dodging the whole "are you black ajah/darkfriend" whatever question with her full realization that "No i'm actually chosen not a petty darkfriend"

a crazy person will easily convince himself that he isn't actually channeling, this power is somethin new that he's discovered. Or even like if Rand got bound by it before going sane I bet "Lews Therin" would be able to still channel. Since he's a different person.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

On the other hand, they can all just teleport to wherever they want to go anyway, so why fly? Even in combat it's just "target here".

I want to see Rand make a gateway to like above a battle and just fall straight down blasting away and before hitting the ground make another gateway underneath himself to high up in the sky again and just keep going like that.

Portal style.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Two Finger posted:

Anyway, I see some conversation above about the prologue and chapter one, and I am curious.
Why is everyone talking about 'the darkfriend traitor' amongst the Aiel Wise Ones? Did I miss something where it was made clear that there was one? I never picked up any signs.

Someone had to have told Elza where the Sad Bracelets were and how to undo the traps. Just prior (?) to this we're shown Cadsuane showing them to the Aiel Wise Ones.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ugh. Continuitiy errors.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
https://taverentees.com/threads/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=83

Holy poo poo that is the nerdiest and ugliest t-shirt I think i've ever seen. I need to get one.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
But King Alsalam is alive and nobody in that palace survived.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

api call girl posted:

Day #4 "Pass his bond to me."

Several guesses but not one Moghedien/Lanfear to Alanna

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ofcourse I loved it. I read it all in two days and now i'm really spent. Androl is such an awesome guy. That could be all I needed to say.

Anyway my only real criticism would be Demandred who they introduced in a really great way and he definitely came off as the most dangerous and competent of the forsaken. I loved every part of him, the power he radiated, him being a one man army, competent as gently caress in every way. But still really loving flawed by thinking anyone who challenged him was secretly Lews Therin.

I did not like him duelling three guys in a row though. It's like. You have better things to do Demandred. You can win this battle like by yourself don't waste your time on those chumps. (though Lan getting him in the end was sweet)

Anyway that's like all I can think of. I was surprised there were so few Aes Sedai though. 400 with Egwene, and then just dozens in other battlefields. I thought there were like a thousand aes sedai at the end of TOM?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Thulsa Doom posted:

Jordan was able to capture tactics and planning while giving the actual battle scenes a very chaotic, random, sort of claustrophobic feel.

Then again Jordan never had to write a battle from the perspective of a commander. He followed Perrin as he rode straight into an army at Dumais Wells, the battle against the seanchan was from Rands "Let's blow poo poo up" perspective. The battle for caihirien followed Mat in small scale combats and Rand just chilling in a tower blowing poo poo up.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I actually told myself ten years ago that I couldn't die before finishing this series. Five years ago I figured I was immortal. Now I feel very vulnerable. I should have skipped reading that final page.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Huh you guys are ofcourse right. I've read the theories and I wasn't at all surprised when it happened. But it wasn't explained why it did. That was a mistake I think.

Also Thom killing black ajah at the end was pretty cool.

Moghedien sadly went down like a chump. Would have liked it if she'd gotten away.

Lanfear had the best Forsaken Death I think. Though Demandred was the best forsaken yet.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

uruloki posted:

This is totally not contrived.

Rand needs to have Callendor up and active to serve as the trap. He also needs to be in the circle with Nynaeve and Moiraine already because he didn't know what he was actually going to have to do when he got inside the mountain. The piece that was contrived was Alanna (who he's spent 7 books walling off and not caring about so no, he doesn't know where she is) dropping the bond in the split second before the knife takes her in the throat.

Honestly we don't even know if she dropped the bond. I believe it was just assumed since the POV wasn't Rand. He was far enough along to be able to deal with that.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

ClydeUmney posted:

This is from a while back, but what am I missing here?

Speculation: the creator talking to Rand?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Honestly I'm thinking that in 20 years, when Sanderson has finished his Way of Kings epos maybe he'll come back and give us a little more. I can always dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

veekie posted:

More than that, it was an appreciable number of the surviving people in the lands. The death toll was ENORMOUS, and the Light couldn't have held if even one more piece fell. Pretty much every continent but the Land of Madmen is decimated by the conflict.

The death toll from the fighting wasn't that enormous. Maybe close to a million soldiers dead. Ten times that in trollocks. The death toll from the unnatural summer/winter and hosed up weather? Enormous. The following food spoilage and bubbles of evil probably about the same as the black death in europe. And Mat does point out that they can't retreat because they are out of food.

Like out of food. The following famine will probably be a real kicker. Maybe 1 in 10 will have survived. Though having found the Song might help.

• Locked thread