Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

quote:

X-Wing is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game in which players take control of powerful rebel X-wings and nimble Imperial TIE Fighters, facing them against each other in fast-paced space combat. Featuring stunningly detailed and painted miniatures, X-Wing recreates Star Wars’ exciting space battles. Select your crew, plan your maneuvers, and complete your mission!

Star Wars: X-Wing is a table top miniatures combat made by Fantasy Flight Games. In X-Wing you assemble a small fleet of ships and attempt to blast your opponents out of the sky. If you are familiar with Wings of War, you will be vaguely familiar with the idea of a skirmish game that tries to represent aerial dog fights. This is such a game.

This is the starter box. It comes with all the tokens, dice, and movement templates you need to play. It also comes with an X-Wing and two TIE Fighters.

Here are the some pictures of more pretty toys.

These are the items available now:
Star Wars: X-Wing™ Miniatures Game Core Set ($39.99)
X-Wing™ Expansion Pack ($14.99)
TIE Fighter™ Expansion Pack ($14.99)
Y-Wing™ Expansion Pack ($14.99)
TIE Advanced™ Expansion Pack ($14.99)

Sexy plastics, but how do you play?

Each ship has a maneuvers dial depicting all of the movements available to a given ships. A player will rotate these dials to select a movement for each of his ship, then place those dials face down. Once all players have selected maneuvers for each ship, they are all revealed and resolved in ascending order (orange Pilot skill 1 goes first, skill 10 goes last). Once each movement is done, each ship is assigned an action. Each ship can pick from a select number of actions, most of which revolve around doing more damage or avoiding more damage.

You will note that movement is done with templates. If you choose the Soft Left 2 move, then you will take the slightly curved template that is two inches long, line it up to your ships bow, and move your ship to the other end of it.

Once these are all done players perform attacks in descending order (10 is first this time, and 1 goes last). You roll attack dice equal to your red attack stat, looking for hit icons. Then the defending ship rolls his green evade stat, looking for evade icons. Evades cancel hits, and remaining hits are done to a ship's shields or hull until they are all gone and the ship is destroyed.

It really is that simple.
1.) Choose movement
2.) Perform movement and choose action (low to high)
3.) Attack (high to low)
Start over.

It's very easy to learn, but the simultaneous and secret choice of movements makes game play very exciting and engaging.

Ok, what's all this other poo poo in the box?

Well, most of them are tokens. Did you choose the evade action this turn? There is an evade token to put with your ship. Did you lock on to an enemy vessel? There are token to mark that too!

But also there are cards, three types to be exact. First are damage cards. They have a generic side to record damage; these are all the same and not special. There is on the reverse side of these a critical hit effect, in the event that someone scores a critical hit on a ship. It functions as a normal damage point, but also dicks with you in more specific, annoying ways.

Ship cards tell you your stats. Each ship has multiple pilots to pick from when building your fleet, which determine their stats, actions, and point costs. You can have your X-Wing piloted by a rookie, or by Luke Skywalker. Some of these pilots are named characters, and you can only have one of them in your fleet. Others are generic and can be used multiple times in the same list.

Last are upgrade cards. Some ships can purchase droids, which give additional actions or constant bonuses, or additional weapons, to give new ways to beat the poo poo out of people. Ion Cannons are very good. Buy lots of Y-Wings.

It also comes with dice specific to the game. You can buy more in a soon-to-be-released accessories kit. There is also an ap for that. It's on both Android and iPhone, and I believe it is $4.99 or close to that.

I don't trust you at all. Who are you anyway? Get out of here.

Fine, fine, I'll leave. But if you don't think anything I said sounded interesting, you can check out more about the game at some of these sites.

Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars: X-Wing site: Go here for rules, forums, and press release stuff.
The Board Game Geek and Boardgaming.com profiles explain themselves.
There are also lots of Youtube videos about it, like FFG's complete tutorial.

If you are in Southern California, we play the poo poo out of this at Game Empire Pasadena. Come try it out.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I had resisted the urge to buy the game until I saw the first set of expansion ships coming out.

A-Wing, Millennium Falcon, Slave 1, TIE Interceptor

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
This looks fun as hell, I am a sucker for starship combat games. How long does a basic-set dogfight take? What's the weirdest or most obtuse part of the rules?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Gau posted:

This looks fun as hell, I am a sucker for starship combat games. How long does a basic-set dogfight take? What's the weirdest or most obtuse part of the rules?

A friend and I finished a two ship demo in about 15 minutes. Having 2-3 ships on each side can take it upwards of 45 minutes. If you are setting up a maps to play on and all that it takes longer, obviously, but I am a chump and play on blank table surfaces.

Being a dog fight, the real action happens up close an personal. That is also where all the oddities of movement happen, however. Many times in the demo with starter ships we ended up flying right past each other and not being able to target the other ships with attacks (you have to attack ships inside your front firing arc). Once you are playing full games (the standard is 100 points, 3-4 ships for each player) you will have enough ships on the table that there should be just enough chaos that there is always something to shoot at.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This looks amazing, but I was just looking at the minis on amazon and it lists 15bux for ONE fighter model? Is that correct? :psyduck: That's like half the cost of the starship toys!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fox of Stone posted:

This looks amazing, but I was just looking at the minis on amazon and it lists 15bux for ONE fighter model? Is that correct? :psyduck: That's like half the cost of the starship toys!

Yeah, I had the same question. I think those packs include a shitload of other stuff too, but it'd be nice to be able to buy just the minis if battles with 3 or 4 a side are included in the core set.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Does this space combat game work strictly in 2D?

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
The only thing I'd change about the OP is that one starter set really doesn't have all the dice you need to play the game. It comes with 3 attack and 3 defense, but a lot of rolls require 4 dice. That means you either buy a second starter set (which I did, because extra asteroids and ships and crap are nice, too), the $6 dice pack (which isn't out yet, I don't think), or reroll one of your dice. I usually wouldn't care about needing to reroll a die, but when every turn has multiple opportunities to modify attack and defense dice, it's silly that they couldn't just put two more dice in each starter. Oh, and I guess there is also a $5 iOS app that rolls dice for X-Wing and the new Star Wars RPG.

Fox of Stone posted:

One fighter model, several pilot cards, several upgrade cards, a few sheets of tokens, and a secret command selector thingy. Oh, and buy them online so that instead of $40 for a starter set and $15 for a figure, it's $26 for the starter set and $10 for a figure.

HardCoil posted:

Does this space combat game work strictly in 2D?

Yup.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Yes, the ships are expensive. It seems like it matches up with most miniature games, though, where one plastic fig is easily $15 or more. The bigs ships coming out, the Falcon and Slave 1, will retail at $29.99 for the ship and tokens.

And yes, you will always wish you had one more die. It's infuriating.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

WerrWaaa posted:

Yes, the ships are expensive. It seems like it matches up with most miniature games, though, where one plastic fig is easily $15 or more. The bigs ships coming out, the Falcon and Slave 1, will retail at $29.99 for the ship and tokens.

And yes, you will always wish you had one more die. It's infuriating.

Boo. This looks pretty rad but I remember reading in the board game thread that there are some real nagging issues.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Boo. This looks pretty rad but I remember reading in the board game thread that there are some real nagging issues.

My biggest problem right now is a lack of variety in ships, but that will soon be fixed. The only game play problem I really have is that once you start moving around in close proximity to other ships it becomes impossible to lay down those movement templates in any way flat/accurate.

Sporto
Oct 16, 2010

The Slayer walks the earth!
drat, I used to have micro machines just like these! I even had jabba's slave party sand cruiser.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
Has anyone put together a good storage solution for the ships and components? I've got two starter sets, one of each expansion, and looking to get the second series ships when they are out. I'm thinking of getting a Plano 5231, but I'm not sure that it's the best way to keep the rules and cards all together.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Bionic posted:

Has anyone put together a good storage solution for the ships and components? I've got two starter sets, one of each expansion, and looking to get the second series ships when they are out. I'm thinking of getting a Plano 5231, but I'm not sure that it's the best way to keep the rules and cards all together.

This is not mine, but rather a pic someone was showing off when having this discussion on the FFG forum. It's the Plano 5231 that Bionic linked, and it looks pretty sweet. I am also worried that it won't do the trick with the new ships, but I image it could fit the cards. It can be consolidated more than it is. Alternately I am looking at the foams they sell at the local shop for ships, but it won't do anything for the rules/tokens/cards. :saddowns:

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 22, 2012

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
This looks interesting, but I'm curious why the ion token appears to have a swastika on it. :crossarms:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

JerryLee posted:

This looks interesting, but I'm curious why the ion token appears to have a swastika on it. :crossarms:

Because Rebel Scum are that evil.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
There is a lot about this that is reminiscent of wings of war. Have you played both OP?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I have not! I have only heard people talk about it at length. I work at my FLGS and get lots of monologues about people's favorite games. I was interested in it for a long time but the only starter we had in stock was the Wings of Glory WWII starter, which has four planes for $80 (suck it, people complaining about the price!). Once X-wing came out, and people started talking about it, and playing it every day all the time, I was sold. That being said, it has been lauded for its similarities, and that is why I use Wings of War as the basic comparison in the opening paragraph.

edit: here is a picture of people playing at the store.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 24, 2012

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

How is this game for crazy dogfights ? I played a fair amount of the old WEG game, Star Warriors and you could get up to all kinds of crazy poo poo in that game. How is this one for 180 degree turns and barrel rolls ?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I watched the youtube tutorials video and this game looks dope as hell. I am super looking forward to be dine with moving so I can pick it up.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

This is not mine, but rather a pic someone was showing off when having this discussion on the FFG forum. It's the Plano 5231 that Bionic linked, and it looks pretty sweet. I am also worried that it won't do the trick with the new ships, but I image it could fit the cards. It can be consolidated more than it is. Alternately I am looking at the foams they sell at the local shop for ships, but it won't do anything for the rules/tokens/cards. :saddowns:

Thanks for this! I went ahead and picked a Plano 5231 up, and it does, in fact, work great for X-Wing. I've got 2 starter sets and one of each current expansion in there, and there is room to stick the rulebook in either compartment flat while still closing entirely. I'm working on setting up some foam for the ships so that I don't have to worry about chipped X-Wings, and I'll post pictures and foam info when I come up with the right solution.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

Oh, and buy them online so that instead of $40 for a starter set and $15 for a figure, it's $26 for the starter set and $10 for a figure.

Where is this price to be found? I've searched around a bit, and the best discount I could find was through Amazon, but that was only $35 for the starter.

hlwss
Nov 12, 2007

jivjov posted:

Where is this price to be found? I've searched around a bit, and the best discount I could find was through Amazon, but that was only $35 for the starter.

http://www.thewarstore.com/starwarsxwing.html
Slightly higher than quoted, but cheaper than amazon.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's 26 here: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/Board%20Games/X-Wing+Core+Set/Acc-FFGXWing/#X-Wing%20Core%20Set

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Not a bad price...but the shipping is so high that it completely balances out. Oh well, my local brick and mortar store has a layaway program, I'll just take advantage of that and spread the cost of the set out over a couple of pay periods.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I played my first 3 games this week, first two were super close, last one was a total derpfest on my part. I had 3 x-wings, and I flew one off the table because I accidentally chose the wrong direction sharp turn on the dial.

My other two got outgunned by the remaining 4 ties pretty fast.

Im geeked to try the Y-wing/tie-advanced, my buddy who Im playing with is buying both this week.

We found 75 pts to be a good sweet spot for list building, and will probably work our way up to 100 soon.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

A lot of folks around here geek about how awesome the Y's Ion Cannon is, so a lot of Rebel Lists are fielding two Y-Wings just for that attack. That being said, Vader is so much hard sex.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Not a bad price...but the shipping is so high that it completely balances out. Oh well, my local brick and mortar store has a layaway program, I'll just take advantage of that and spread the cost of the set out over a couple of pay periods.

Free shipping for $100+ orders. I got my X-Wing stuff, Android Netrunner, and a few expansions I'd been putting off based on price. Ordered on a Monday morning, they shipped FedEx home delivery that evening, I had them that Saturday at 9am. They also give additional discounts based on lifetime purchase amount, so I'm already at a 1% discount on everything after that one order.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

Free shipping for $100+ orders. I got my X-Wing stuff, Android Netrunner, and a few expansions I'd been putting off based on price. Ordered on a Monday morning, they shipped FedEx home delivery that evening, I had them that Saturday at 9am. They also give additional discounts based on lifetime purchase amount, so I'm already at a 1% discount on everything after that one order.

You make a good case. I guess my only hang up is that as a poor college student, I know I'm gonna spend $100+ bucks on this game anyway, I just can't do it in one go like that. Perhaps its time to learn the value of saving up.

For some content actually related to the game, how well do X-Wings and TIE Fighters stack up against each other? In the Star Wars films/EU, TIEs are super fragile, but I would think to have a balanced game, FFG would have to have buffed them up a little.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

jivjov posted:

You make a good case. I guess my only hang up is that as a poor college student, I know I'm gonna spend $100+ bucks on this game anyway, I just can't do it in one go like that. Perhaps its time to learn the value of saving up.

For some content actually related to the game, how well do X-Wings and TIE Fighters stack up against each other? In the Star Wars films/EU, TIEs are super fragile, but I would think to have a balanced game, FFG would have to have buffed them up a little.

From what Ive read it seems 2 TIES = 1 x-wing due to its shields and firepower advantages.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just bought two starter kits.

I'm really looking forward to the Interceptors and A-Wings. Any idea if they're planning on Defenders and B-Wings?

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Colonial Air Force posted:

Just bought two starter kits.

I'm really looking forward to the Interceptors and A-Wings. Any idea if they're planning on Defenders and B-Wings?

Guaranteed I would say, I also think its guaranteed we will see a Clone Wars version too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Serotonin posted:

Guaranteed I would say, I also think its guaranteed we will see a Clone Wars version too.

Meh, Clone Wars.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

omnibobb posted:

From what Ive read it seems 2 TIES = 1 x-wing due to its shields and firepower advantages.

From my first few skirmishes, it doesn't seem that linear to me. If you just have 2 ties and one x-wing, yes. But that even depends on equipment, as R2D2 is such a gamechanger for regenerating shields. Because it's unique, adding in an extra x-wing doesn't place it at the same survivability as the first x-wing. That's not even involving pilot selection. I have seen 3 ties kill two x-wings without a single casualty, just due to the increased burst and swarm tactics. That case did involve some lucky rolls, but it wasn't even close.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Some dude on Boardgame Geek has made this

http://home.comcast.net/~jason.fuller/rebels.html

Now Im happy that purchasing the starter and a Y Wing and Tie Advanced will give a balanced game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Does Wedge Antilles come as a pilot card in the core set, or is he in the X-Wing expansion pack?

Bionic
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Does Wedge Antilles come as a pilot card in the core set, or is he in the X-Wing expansion pack?

X-Wing expansion pack.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

X-Wing expansion pack.

And there goes $10 more out of my wallet.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

mllaneza posted:

the old WEG game, Star Warriors

Off topic, but THANK YOU. I've been trying to think of the name of this game for years since I owned it but never played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Welp, looks like I dove in anyway. It's star wars. Just wondering, but how long do you think it would take to recreate the entire Death Star (I) run with this game? Just in case my friends would like to join in too.

• Locked thread