Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Caddrel posted:

It depends what kind of games you want to play. You and a friend can totally have fun playing with the core set and two extra ships at low points values. That's what I did when I started: core set plus A-Wing and Tie Advanced. :words:
Thanks for this! How do things like the Tantive IV play into everything? It looks like there's like 3 sizes of ship, which is fighter, fist sized, and then some kind of monster thing whatever the Tantive is, which I refuse to believe is small due to costing like 50 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Carracks are still loving cruisers.

I'm praying for a Lancer.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

signalnoise posted:

Thanks for this! How do things like the Tantive IV play into everything? It looks like there's like 3 sizes of ship, which is fighter, fist sized, and then some kind of monster thing whatever the Tantive is, which I refuse to believe is small due to costing like 50 dollars.

The Tantive/Transport are for "epic" and scenario play, and should really be your last purchases unless you're just in love with them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Right on, then I never plan to buy them. That money can go towards Armada. Just bought my set!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wonder when the Empire will get the Gamma assault shuttle.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Swagger Dagger posted:

It took me a minute to realize the wave 4 ships are on a higher shelf and not in a totally different scale to the older ships.

I didn't realise that until you posted, in my defence it is like 6:30am but yea, I thought they were giant :doh:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder when the Empire will get the Gamma assault shuttle.

Never :smith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If it's an Imperial huge ship, I hope it's not just a CR90 with a paintjob. There's a couple of decent options for Imp corvettes: the Vigil-class has that Star Destroyer look going for it, but is ~100m longer than the CR90. Alternatively, there's the Imperial Customs light corvette which looks awesome but isn't Imperial Navy, and the two prong design might be tricky to do in plastic.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Corellian Gunship corvette? Though I guess it's technically more identifiable as Rebel, it could easily be used for both.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I heard its going to be a Gozanti with a tie advance at the price point of the rebel transport with the new tie advanced cards to fix some of its problems.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Looks good. Obviously there was no way to make everything to scale.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
They appear to be soft-launching product at GenCon. My FLGS rep has 3x of each wave 5 and rebel aces for the store. Gonna try and dibs one of each today.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I love they kept Howlrunner mostly the same.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My 2400 and Decimator are purchased :unsmith: Can't wait to play them next week

edit: YT2400 dial

alg fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 14, 2014

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

alg posted:

Wait what? Wave 5 ships are out? Where did you get that?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

They are being sold at GenCon

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

alg posted:

That's a really nice dial. As compared to the 1300, it can sharp turn 3, something that the 1300 can't do at all. It can't do a 3 k-turn but that's not that big a loss. It has sharp turn 1 over the Firespray and of course it is better than the lambda shuttle.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Ooh, all 12 turns, and none of them red.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

As soon as I get an Outrider I'm trying that autoblaster setup I've been dreaming of. With that dial, it should work.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Howlrunner is a lady pilot? Good job FFG, I love how diverse and non-cheesecake their character selection/artwork is.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

Howlrunner is a lady pilot? Good job FFG, I love how diverse and non-cheesecake their character selection/artwork is.

So is Ibtisam :shobon:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

So is Ibtisam :shobon:

Well she's from the X-Wing comics, so that was already a given.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

jivjov posted:

The best part is that you just KNOW there's a couple dudes out there who are never going to use Howlrunner again because she's a girl.

FFG TRICKED ME! :bahgawd:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Howlrunner is pretty cool!

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Just by chance I was watching the 2012 GenCon demo video from TeamCovenant yesterday (I was using it to try and lure another friend of mine into the game...). In that demo, they are using Howlrunner, and the FFG rep actually said "her" once while talking about her. So she was "outed" two years ago!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

The best part is that you just KNOW there's a couple dudes out there who are never going to use Howlrunner again because she's a girl.

FFG TRICKED ME! :bahgawd:

I know :(

FuSchnick posted:

Just by chance I was watching the 2012 GenCon demo video from TeamCovenant yesterday (I was using it to try and lure another friend of mine into the game...). In that demo, they are using Howlrunner, and the FFG rep actually said "her" once while talking about her. So she was "outed" two years ago!

Nice! I'm glad to see it wasn't a reactionary change.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FuSchnick posted:

She's been a chick since the 90s :)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah, Howlrunner has been "she" at my table since the game came out (and about a decade before that).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

She's been a chick since the 90s :)

Man, you're totally right, Howlrunner is actually Civé Rashon from Star Wars Galaxies. Man, I lost some nerdcred there.

EDIT: Kinda makes me wonder though, why they didn't just put that name on the card and went with the callsign instead. I mean, Luke's X-Wing card isn't "Red 5".

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

jivjov posted:

Man, you're totally right, Howlrunner is actually Civé Rashon from Star Wars Galaxies. Man, I lost some nerdcred there.

EDIT: Kinda makes me wonder though, why they didn't just put that name on the card and went with the callsign instead. I mean, Luke's X-Wing card isn't "Red 5".

Seems like the Imps get more callsigns than Rebels? Or maybe it was just early on in the game, for less recognizable characters? Are there any ships from wave 3 on that use nicknames, or is it only the Fighters and Interceptors?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Gate posted:

Seems like the Imps get more callsigns than Rebels? Or maybe it was just early on in the game, for less recognizable characters? Are there any ships from wave 3 on that use nicknames, or is it only the Fighters and Interceptors?

Bomber and Defender pilots all have names. The Phantom named pilots are "Echo" and "Whisper"

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

jivjov posted:

Howlrunner is her call sign, Red 5 is Luke's squadron identity. Squadron identity is used when in engagement / maneuvers so that listeners outside the squadron know who is talking and in what reference. Her squadron identity is Obsidian 1 for reference.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 14, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

I thought it was common knowledge in the Star Wars community that howl runner was a woman. I remember playing her card back in the CCG:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

jivjov posted:

Bomber and Defender pilots all have names. The Phantom named pilots are "Echo" and "Whisper"

Oh right, the Phantoms, duh.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jivjov posted:

Red 5 is the specific X-Wing with 5 red bars on the s-foils and candy cane stripes on two of its laser cannons. It would be a Title card, if there was anything notable about it besides the paint job. Luke only used Red Five as a callsign because that's the ship he climbed into.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Howlrunner's position during the pursuit of the falcon through the asteroid fields and Bespin also makes it very flavorful when she's chasing the falcon in-game. :)

I also really hope they use the close-up view they used in the CCG for her alternate art promo if they ever give her one.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 14, 2014

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Poopy Palpy posted:

Red 5 is the specific X-Wing with 5 red bars on the s-foils and candy cane stripes on two of its laser cannons. It would be a Title card, if there was anything notable about it besides the paint job. Luke only used Red Five as a callsign because that's the ship he climbed into.

I never, ever, ever noticed that their numbers matched up to the numbers of bars on their fighters. :psyboom:

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
MY MONEY :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxO1t9wY10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

The difference is that Red 5 is the callsign for pilot #5 in Red Squadron who is piloting the Red 5 X-wing. For contrast, Civé Rashon's equivalent callsign would be Obisidan Leader (because she's the leader of Obsidian Squadron), but she's also nicknamed "Howlrunner."

• Locked thread