Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

A balanced game is secondary to an accurate representation of how awesome TIE Interceptors are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Fox of Stone posted:

Just remember the Falcon, A-wings, and TIE interceptors are coming out in February, so don't spend all your x-wing money yet. Slave I is coming out then too but it's a stupid prisoner transport ship that nobody likes.

But it also has awesome upgrade cards you can use on other ships. :/

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Backno posted:

So I have a question about what I should buy to get started. Is there any point to buy the individual X-wing and Tie Fighter or should I just buy a 2nd starter box?

The X-Wing expansion has Wedge, the must-run Rebel pilot, and the TIE Fighter expansion has Howlrunner, the must-run Imperial pilot. The second base set has the must-roll fourth die of each color. It's kind of insidious.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

homullus posted:

It looks great! I haven't used it, but I'ma print that out later.

Has anyone seen any sites that list competent matched setups at given point values? I want to be able to set it up and play it WITHOUT customizing sides sometimes, and don't want to be limited to the one scenario in the manual.

There's this which generates random squadrons, and, since it's random might manage to generate both sides with equal ineptitude.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Feeple posted:

Got me two YT1300s, time to 360 it up with blaster fire!

:eng101: laser cannon fire. Blasters are anti- infantry, laser cannons are anti-starfighter, turbolasers are anti-capital-ship, and superlasers are anti-Alderaan.

God drat, I've wasted my life.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Carteret posted:

Don't forget the purposeful naming of the Falcon and Slave 1 as "medium" ships to allow growth into god knows what as "large."

Except that the rulebooks that come with those ships refer to them as "large" in the section describing how they interact with ion tokens and how they can be positioned at the start of the game. I really don't think anything larger is going to come along.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

zVxTeflon posted:

The problem with scale capital ships would be that the super star destroyer would still be huge as gently caress and a majority of the alliance ships would still be tiny even compared to a regular star destroyer. You cant even see a corellian corvette next to a SSD. The transport ships are even smaller than that.

The Executor doesn't even really have a canon scale anyway. The "official" sources said it was 8 km long for the longest time, which isn't at all consistent with the size depicted in the films, so the official number started creeping up.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Daedleh posted:

Is there an easy way, asides from pen and paper, of simulating the dial if you're missing one?

You could print one of these cards for each ship:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82718/maneuver-cards-pdf-wave-1
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85379/maneuver-cards-pdf-wave-2
tuck them into card sleeves, and mark your move with a dry erase marker

Or print out a deck of these for each ship:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85337/movement-cards
and select one maneuver card and one speed card for your ship.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

My Plano has hit capacity, sadly. I've had to double-up on a couple of the sturdier ships (A-wings and Y-Wings) to fit everything in there in a logical manner. I think my next step will have to be a tool box or fishing gear box.

Maybe you're one of those people who honestly thinks they'll ever run a 5 Y-Wing squad (you won't) but a reasonable collection fits pretty well if you build a TIE train:

The Falcon and Slave I have to live in the Falcon's box though.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

TIEs are cheap. You can potentially field 5 ties and not hit 100 points.

Hell, I exercised restraint. I could have topped off at 8 Fighters when all we had was wave one, but I knew I would never not fly an Interceptor once wave two hit.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

You might ahve missed my edit up above: in your plano, what do you have all the little number tokens attached to?

A piece of foamcore that I hunched over for about an hour while I cut 28 tiny rectangles out of it with an xacto.

I have problems, guys.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

zVxTeflon posted:

In my completely unscientific testing I just rolled 100 dice and got a total of 19 Eye results. Then another 100 and got 29 Eyes. Im bad at math but I dont think thats gamebreaking.

There are 2 focus icons on the 8 sides of the dice. That means the odds are 1 in 4 if the dice are fair. Your results make sense!

enri posted:

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the actual question the guy posted :3: as far as I'm aware/remember, focus allows you to change one eye result, not all eye results..

It's all of them. Here's a reference card I made copying the text from pages 8, 11, and 12 of the rulebook verbatim:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Acinonyx posted:

I be the maneuver dial for the shuttle is laughable; what a tank though!

The thing about large ships is that even with a laughable maneuver dial they can still book it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

SquadronROE posted:

Any particular Plano case or are they all pretty much adjustable? I don't know where to pick one up aside from Amazon, so want to make sure it will work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ9514/

Check the "Frequently bought together".

Pics of my how I fill it out on page 16 of this very thread.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Corbeau posted:

Rules question: can Han Solo re-roll Luke's additional attack? If so, can he still do it if he also re-rolled the normal attack (that presumably missed, triggering Luke)?

And any idea when the reprints are coming? Stuff for this can't seem to be had locally at all, and online only if you're willing to accept some mean price gouging.

Yes, this is why Han is better than a Target Lock.

Looks like reprints are a ways out: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Oh boy, I can't wait to see what card I'll want 4 copies of comes as a singleton bundled with a loving $90 blockade runner.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Some day the collection feature on voidstate's squad builder will save your collection instead of his and effectively do that.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Cassa posted:

Quick question, still learning the game, got in 2x of all the wave three ships but one lambda shuttle, so finally getting to grips with upgrade cards that do interesting things.

So, assault missiles, do they only fire off once? Or does every ship at range 1 take the extra damage on EACH hit?

Secondary weapons only have an effect when you fire them and one of the effects of using Assault Missiles is that the card gets ditched, limiting them to a single use.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

If an autoblaster rolls 2 hits and a crit against a ship which has an evade token and rolls 2 evades on its defense roll the result is that one of the dice cancels the crit (completely), the token cancels one of the regular hits, and the last hit can't be canceled so the ship ends up taking one damage.

The on autoblaster about canceling crits before hits is there so that you can cancel them at all: normally in order to cancel a crit you have to cancel all the regular hits first. It's not saying that canceled crits turn into regular hits.

Edit: evade tokens and defence dice both create evade symbols that can be used to cancel hit symbols. Evade tokens don't add new dice with the symbol. Autoblaster only prevents you from using the ones that come from physical dice.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 26, 2013

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Man do I wish the regular Interceptors were all gray instead of blue. All TIEs are the same color, they just used a different compositing technique in the sequels.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

alg posted:

That sounds like the shift to blue was intentional.

But they did it for all the TIEs at Endor, not just the squints and dupes. FFG went on and on about how they didn't take anyone's word when it came to scale but they made the same color screw up everyone has.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

PJOmega posted:

Okay. It simply seems strange since the game is abstracting continuous movement. Flying through an obstacle in a single abstraction of movement costs you 1 action and 1 risk of damage, while flying through an obstacle in 2 abstractions costs you 2 actions and 2 risks of damage.

There are degrees of lovely flying. Flying so badly that you end up on but not past an asteroid means you suffer worse consequences.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

If you're not putting Veteran Instincts on Han I don't see how you can call it Han Shot First.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

PJOmega posted:

http://meeples.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/big-ships-coming-for-star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-from-ffg/

In other news, did anyone here pick up multiple Wave 1 X-Wings and/or Tie Fighters? I can get the models from the core sets but I cannot get the unique pilots. Anyone willing to part with the pilot cards?

Edit: Also is the voidstate builder having problems for anyone else? It gets stuck on loading enhancement cards.

Voidstate went on a crazy long world tour and decided to push a bunch of untested code live right before doing so. It's not going to be super usable for a while.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Leif. posted:

I must be the only one who doesn't like those repaints. The asteroids are ok, but goddamn is that Lambda atrociously ugly.

Yeah, you can paint your Firesprays and your YT-1300s however you like. You can put fancy squad colors on your alphabet fighters and I'm with you all the way. But Lambda shuttles don't look like that.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

cat with hands posted:

Looking at shapeways there are some nice models available...

Does the TIE defender have any rules yet?

6s down the line for stats
2 of every upgrade slot except crew, turret, and astromech
Generic pilot with PS 6 for, let's say 25 points?

Still wouldn't be an accurate representation of how broken that ship was.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Leo Showers posted:

No I am not. I only consider myself an average pilot, but I do get a few games in.

The barrier to entry for a FFG world championship is more proximity to the Twin Cities than gaming prowess.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

About the only reason I can see is if you wanted to run 2 of the pilots from the single expansion that share a pilot token.

I'm pretty sure the backs of the new unique pilots are the same generic pilots we've already got.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Epi Lepi posted:

They look cool. Whatever reason could you need?

I kind of love the idea from Clone Wars that the Y-Wing we all know and love is actually a stripped-down version of a starfighter that was covered in useless paneling, I just kind of wish someone had had the idea before the EU filled up with countless Y-Wings that all had the exact same hot-rod treatment.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Caddrel posted:

Any thoughts on the Royal Guard Tie title that was announced back in September?

If you can double up on the same hull upgrade, an extra 6 points for +2 hull could be worth it. But it also seems like with interceptors you are putting a ton of points into very little damage absorption.

The card says "different”. If you want two HP you'll need to pack a Hull Upgrade and a Shield Upgrade.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I'm basically the worst kind of nerd because whenever I see a playmat with a nebula I can't help but think that you'd never be able to see the nebula with an exposure time short enough to capture starfighters zipping around, not to mention the fact that most of the good looking pictures of nebulas are false-color.

Not filling starfields up with nebulas you wouldn't be able to see is actually something Star Wars is surprisingly good about, except for that weird scene at the end of Empire where they're looking out over a goddamn spiral galaxy.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

3: Attacker rolls first, then modifies their roll with tokens/whatever. Then defender rolls then modifies. You don't roll simultaneously.

Pulling this out because it's a big deal that's as easy to miss as an evading TIE at range 3.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

PJOmega posted:

On the medium transport, I'm still utterly confused as to how the movement template works.

I'm assuming that moving straight doesn't have any surprises, but banks look pretty clever. You put the notch in the template on the back corner of the front base, then move the front corner of that base so that it nestles into the first corner of the template for a length 1 bank or the second for a length 2 bank.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

alg posted:

Han loving Owns, there is no consensus that he is bad.

There was consensus that Lando might see more play when the Falcon got spoiled, but that went away pretty quickly once people actually experienced Han.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

What were all the things I wanted to do with Y-wings but couldn't without an elite pilot talent?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Leo Showers posted:

That looks really cool, it's the first event I wouldn't mind participating in.

Does anyone have any idea when the Imperial Aces pack will be out? A vendor on Amazon had 7th March but it looks like it's been push back to the 14th.

Amazon will straight up lie about release dates, but according to ffg's upcoming products page this time they're probably about right.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Missiles were too effective and I'm glad the opportunity cost to use them is going up :rolleyes:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Shockeh posted:

They don't trigger extra defence dice, what?

The range 1/3 bonus attack/defense die is only for primary weapon attacks.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

TouchToneDialing posted:

Terrible because they are on a hwk.

I kind of hope the crew upgrades in the new box with the modification that adds a crew slot to the B-Wing don't really help the B-wing much because they're actually intended to be patches for the HWK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Devlan Mud posted:

Two of the guys I play with just can't shut up about how a six z95 list with missiles will break the game, it's all I've been hearing since the spoiler of the cards a few weeks ago, and it's getting really old.

Remind them that not too long ago people preordered 4x Shuttles because it had the same base cost as the X-Wing, the same primary attack, double the HP, and only seemed to give up a single defense die for all this.

They ended up with enough Advanced Sensors for a flight of B-Wings, so it wasn't a complete loss.

• Locked thread