Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
The only thing I'd change about the OP is that one starter set really doesn't have all the dice you need to play the game. It comes with 3 attack and 3 defense, but a lot of rolls require 4 dice. That means you either buy a second starter set (which I did, because extra asteroids and ships and crap are nice, too), the $6 dice pack (which isn't out yet, I don't think), or reroll one of your dice. I usually wouldn't care about needing to reroll a die, but when every turn has multiple opportunities to modify attack and defense dice, it's silly that they couldn't just put two more dice in each starter. Oh, and I guess there is also a $5 iOS app that rolls dice for X-Wing and the new Star Wars RPG.

Fox of Stone posted:

This looks amazing, but I was just looking at the minis on amazon and it lists 15bux for ONE fighter model? Is that correct? :psyduck: That's like half the cost of the starship toys!
One fighter model, several pilot cards, several upgrade cards, a few sheets of tokens, and a secret command selector thingy. Oh, and buy them online so that instead of $40 for a starter set and $15 for a figure, it's $26 for the starter set and $10 for a figure.

HardCoil posted:

Does this space combat game work strictly in 2D?

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
Has anyone put together a good storage solution for the ships and components? I've got two starter sets, one of each expansion, and looking to get the second series ships when they are out. I'm thinking of getting a Plano 5231, but I'm not sure that it's the best way to keep the rules and cards all together.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

This is not mine, but rather a pic someone was showing off when having this discussion on the FFG forum. It's the Plano 5231 that Bionic linked, and it looks pretty sweet. I am also worried that it won't do the trick with the new ships, but I image it could fit the cards. It can be consolidated more than it is. Alternately I am looking at the foams they sell at the local shop for ships, but it won't do anything for the rules/tokens/cards. :saddowns:

Thanks for this! I went ahead and picked a Plano 5231 up, and it does, in fact, work great for X-Wing. I've got 2 starter sets and one of each current expansion in there, and there is room to stick the rulebook in either compartment flat while still closing entirely. I'm working on setting up some foam for the ships so that I don't have to worry about chipped X-Wings, and I'll post pictures and foam info when I come up with the right solution.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Not a bad price...but the shipping is so high that it completely balances out. Oh well, my local brick and mortar store has a layaway program, I'll just take advantage of that and spread the cost of the set out over a couple of pay periods.

Free shipping for $100+ orders. I got my X-Wing stuff, Android Netrunner, and a few expansions I'd been putting off based on price. Ordered on a Monday morning, they shipped FedEx home delivery that evening, I had them that Saturday at 9am. They also give additional discounts based on lifetime purchase amount, so I'm already at a 1% discount on everything after that one order.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

omnibobb posted:

From what Ive read it seems 2 TIES = 1 x-wing due to its shields and firepower advantages.

From my first few skirmishes, it doesn't seem that linear to me. If you just have 2 ties and one x-wing, yes. But that even depends on equipment, as R2D2 is such a gamechanger for regenerating shields. Because it's unique, adding in an extra x-wing doesn't place it at the same survivability as the first x-wing. That's not even involving pilot selection. I have seen 3 ties kill two x-wings without a single casualty, just due to the increased burst and swarm tactics. That case did involve some lucky rolls, but it wasn't even close.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Does Wedge Antilles come as a pilot card in the core set, or is he in the X-Wing expansion pack?

X-Wing expansion pack.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Do we have a card for Jek Porkins?

Not yet, unfortunately. Here is a fanmade version from BGG if you'd like to try it out.

P.S. The real pro team is Wraith Squadron. Calling it now: Lieutenant Kettch card in 2013.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Is there anything in the TIE Advanced expansion that's unique and worth having a duplicate of?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your question, but you can't use duplicates of uniques.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

I meant things like equipment cards and whatnot. I know pilots you can only use one of, but as I mentioned, I'm the only one in my friends group that actually wants to buy stuff for the game, so are there any equipment cards that both rebel and imp players may want?
Equipment can also be unique, such as R2-D2 and R5-K6. If it has a bullet point next to the name, only one can be in play at a time.

If you want to see what comes in each sku, http://www.youtube.com/chronoradio shows the contents of each one.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

Alberta Cross posted:

I've been trying (in vain it seems) to find a way to fit everything into the box without all my tiny plastic ships breaking. I'm starting to think it's a lost cause and I might just go out and buy the container someone posted earlier.

Just in case anyone wants more pictures of the Plano being awesome:

The rulebook can fit in the outside compartment just fine.

I keep most of the stuff used during a game in the outside compartment.

Ships, cards, and wheels go in the bottom. I used 1/2 inch thick foam to hold and cushion the TIEs and the Y-Wing. The X-Wings are on pegs and bases. Separate compartments for Imp/Rebel cards and base markers, plenty of room for more and bigger ships. The red pieces in the long compartment are extra dividers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bionic
May 6, 2007

Ships also profiled in the Edge of the Empire rulebook would be sensible predictions. They are pretty much all the safe bets people have mentioned so far: Lamda-class shuttle, Skipray Blastboat, the good ol' Z-95, Ghtroc 720 Light Freighter (don't hold your breath), and YT-2400. I'd assume we'll see some Episode 7 stuff at some point, but I'd welcome non-ship-based accessories, scenario packs, and pilot/equipment card packs.

• Locked thread