Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This looks amazing, but I was just looking at the minis on amazon and it lists 15bux for ONE fighter model? Is that correct? :psyduck: That's like half the cost of the starship toys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Welp, looks like I dove in anyway. It's star wars. Just wondering, but how long do you think it would take to recreate the entire Death Star (I) run with this game? Just in case my friends would like to join in too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

The trick to TIEs I've found is to barrel roll. Always barrel roll. Barrel roll every TIE every turn. That little shift laterally is fantastic for escaping firing arcs and breaking up the cluster-o-ships that tends to form at the center of the table.

Good thing there was a renowned starfighter tactician who developed the Tallon Roll. :smugdog:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Have any of you guys tried painting your ships? If I have time I might try priming them and painting them wraith/rogue squadron colors or give a couple TIEs some hawkbat graffiti.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I now have 2 Y-wings, 3 x-wings, 5 TIEs, and a TIE advanced. God drat I forgot how much I'm a sucker for star wars toys. :negative:

How are you guys playing the Dutch Vander ability? Do you immediately grant a target lock regardless of the other ship having spent one?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Serotonin posted:

We played it exactly as read on the card- ie you immediately give a target lock to your ally within 1 to 2. He can choose to lock any ship in range of him, and if he already has a target lock he may use the ability to switch lock to another different target if he wants.

Theres an argument that you should grant them a lock on the ship that Vander has a lock on, but we went with doing it exactly as read.

Sounds decent and is how I've been playing with him too. He's too much of a point sink otherwise if all he does is save an action step for one of your other ships. I just hope the y-wing retains its little usefulness later since the b-wing is THE support ship of the Rebellion.

On that note, I also hope the presence of medium-sized slower ships give more meaningful roles to rebel ships which tend to be fighter-bombers or bombers. As it stands, imps get the advantage in pure spamming starfighter superiority - moreso with interceptors. Proton torpedoes seem to be worthless due to the current opportunity cost of using up an action for target locks instead of, say, r2-f2, focus, or expert handling. Eating up valuable points if you want anything more than basic rookies is huge too. I still haven't made up my mind about expert handling for rebs but it seems the best upgrades are those that augment skills or don't require taking up the valuable action slot.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 12, 2012

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I looked at the easy points calculator site a few posts above and did I miss something? Is the Falcon already out? I check the Imperial side of the site and it doesn't list any new cards there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there an easy way to protect the dial faces from rubbing off? After several plays I've noticed some rubbing off from the maneuver arrows and I wish I'd thought of it sooner.

e: Sweet link to the amazon deal! Gonna get some more TIE advances and another y-wing :getin:

e2: Thanks below too.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 1, 2012

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is the Kessel Run event costing you guys anything? The store that's doing it here is charging $5 per player. I thought this was purely a promotional thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WerrWaaa posted:

We are charging $10 and anything over what the kit costs us is going back into prize support. The kit's cost $60 +shipping, and the chances of that bringing in enough customers to make enough sales over regular sales is very unlikely, and we are big ol' store. I image it's worse of a prospect for smaller retailers. FFG took out the "you can't charge!" clause after a day or so (I know I complained to them about it, and I assume other retailers did too).

Oh, OK. Yeah, I remember thinking it was supposed to be free or something but didn't know it actually cost the game store a substantial amount of money.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The 1st wave X-Wing expansions are reduced to 8.74 again!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So is getting to move first, and therefore avoid collisions more often, the only reason to have initiative? How many of you have found it necessary to skip out on a small upgrade or two to possibly have it?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I really can't imagine scenarios with capital ships will be too much fun. If they are defend/attack scenarios you are pretty much playing the same game except maybe with a winning board edge the attackers must punch through. Otherwise, the turbolasers will never hit any ships and the y-wings and tie bombers will take a couple hundred proton torpedoes to destroy it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just remember the Falcon, A-wings, and TIE interceptors are coming out in February, so don't spend all your x-wing money yet. Slave I is coming out then too but it's a stupid prisoner transport ship that nobody likes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poopy Palpy posted:

But it also has awesome upgrade cards you can use on other ships. :/

I think those come with the falcon too. (I'm gonna end up buying 2 falcons as a gimmick build :negative:)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are there any plans for more KR-style tournaments or leagues? I really wish they would have printed a Jek Porkins card and would play in anything to get one. I mean seriously that guy's popular and even LEGO knows this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So how have people been finding the Falcon? I've been thinking about using it as an x-wing rookie replacement but haven't opened it yet so it's still NSIB. I can trade it to someone for the Slave 1 instead if it shows better results, but I'm dubious about that as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Red Hood posted:

My buddies and I are starting to get really competitive when it comes to this game, so we're starting to try and find the most competitive squadron builds.

A couple guys at the store I play at run the Wedge+Biggs 4x4, and I hope this can keep up.

Have you guys found the Wedge/Biggs setup to still be the best one? Even if a Falcon's not included, as I knew that would be more of a gimmick choice, are the A-wings not earning their share?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's a shop near me that, for some reason, has a huge stock of TIE interceptors. It has 20. No A-wings, falcons, or slave 1s. Just squints. They're not marked up - just $15. :psyduck:

(I looked on ebay and they're not really worth going through the trouble of buying them in an attempt to make a profit. It just struck me as weird.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I won't be satisfied until I have a full roster of Wraith Squadron pilots including Kettch, Hawk-bat independent space force versions, and those zany half-TIE, half-Z95 abominations they fight. Also this

alg posted:

I just want 11 or 12 point Z-95s for Rebels :(

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 17, 2013

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What I'm wondering is what they'll do once they get to the Z tokens. :ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I found out a store only 30min from me does regionals and weekly tournaments ($3/5 buy-in and winner/2nd gets toys). They also host something called "OP events" that supposedly have prizes. What are those and what sorts of prizes are included? Promos? I really want a Jek Porkins and Lt. Kettch card someday. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

Probably game night kits like: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4122

Porkins will probably be in the Medium Transport box.

Oh geez, I thought it was a fat joke but nope. Looked it up and they're selling non-tourney "scenario" ships. Looking at their size, I'm guessing they'll be $75-100. :(

Also, anyone know if you can paint these models?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well sure, I don't think anyone cares as I've seen repaintrd heroclix figures before. I'm more wondering if the paint sticks without primer, if details are lost with primer, or if I would need to somehow strip that paint that's already there first. I'm not familiar with the type of plastic FFG uses for its minis or type of paint applied.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm headed for a tournament tomorrow. Is there anything I should know or bring with me ahead of time? Is there an official fleet list that's used?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tournament today had a nice turnout of 19 people. Was $5 entry and I made it to the top 4 for $20 with wedge with swarm tactics, a-wing, x-wing, and dagger b-wing with HLC. Lost to a sweet imperial build in the semi running 3 interceptors with a Jendon lambda+vader+saboteur and 3 interceptor list. Having a shuttle that rips your ships apart after taking down shields is rough.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Where do you find out where tournaments are being held? Are these tournaments "officially sanctioned?"

This was officially sanctioned. I found out about it on the FFG forums.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Lambda shuttle is the only good support ship in my experience. I've seen different people run the Yorr loadout with squints and it's definitely good. I think it's weaker when people already know the strategy behind it but if you give them the crucial 2-3 turns to set up, it's game over. I think the variant with vader is the best since the Lambda just has so many hitpoints. If the opponent wants to kill it that's fine since it's mostly there to break up your formation after it gives out target locks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:drat: I just hope Perkins and other exclusive x-wing pilots have abilities and point costs that cheap. I'm growing tired of using nameless pilots for rebels because the extra body is usually worth more than boosted stats and tricks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Eh. See I wouldn't feel so bad buying it if it was a cool model that's enjoyable to paint. That's why I'll get the blockade runner. The medium transport always looked like rear end to me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Siivola posted:

Yeah, she's from the Rogue Squadron comics. I kinda wish she and Tycho would someday get X-Wing alt cards for their Rogue days.

The only squadron we need pilots for is Wraith Squadron and mostly because we need NEED an ewok pilot. I know tyco celchu is from rogue squadron but it'll just result in whiny babies wanting an overpowered corran horn mary sue pilot.

e: also a gammorean pilot. Pig guys are cool.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wow those guys are cool. I just hope the cheap z-95 bodies allow use of them. I'm just glad my LGS has a guy who gives me good deals when trading for board game stuff like this cuz some of my wizard poker cards are gonna turn into x-wings. :D And a huge ship too I guess.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm glad Lt. Blount is included. He was my favorite rebel scout from the card game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So over spring break I brought my x-wing minis with me to uni. For those who've tried it, what's the best way to strip the things so I can start painting them? I don't know what kind of plastic they are but I hope simple green works?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I heard the only prizes for the store champs were some plastic rulers, a card box, and a plaque if you got first. Is that seriously it? Not even a ship for first place? I was hoping it'd be like the Kessel Run events which at least gave top 2 a ship. My store back home is hosting one this weekend but I'm reluctant to go because it's a 3 hour drive and costs $10 to enter. They aren't even giving out store credit with that money. Is that seriously it? What else are they doing with that money? Did those of you who played at store champs experience the same thing? Or is this a case of FFG charging some god-awful amount for some pithy prize support?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

smashthedean posted:

The way my shop does it is we do $5 admission and then the shop owner kicks in half of whatever is collected and then we take that pool and give it out in store credit as prizes.

Ya I was expecting something like this. You'd think that by charging $10/player they'd put out something besides a few plastic rulers. The sad part is that they offer great prize support when I play magic there. Pure store credit that you can use for future tournaments. Oh well, I look forward to a Kessel run-type event then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

The main prize is really the first round bye certificate for regionals.

Yeah, I figure, so I guess this tournament really isn't for me anyway. The other stores in the area had an attendance of ~10-12 and I can't imagine a tournament kit costing more than $30-40 for some reason. Of course, this is the first tournament of this game they're running in this specific store so they could have been underestimating the number of people who'd come to play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PJOmega posted:

Store Championship kits across the board are $60.

Wow.

With such paltry prizes for the winners and costs for a kit, I can only imagine why FFG's games aren't more popular. I come from wizard poker though so I have higher expectations for prizes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

No it's just me. After learning that it is FFG and not the store's fault for charging so much, I am more understanding. It just seems absurd to charge $60 for a couple boxes and plastic rulers. If it at least came with neat stuff like plastic tokens or maybe a large 3x3 battle blanket for the champ (similar to what wizards does with their game day champ battle blankets), it wouldn't be so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I decided I'll try the store championship anyway. Get some nice x-wing games in. Has anyone tried a jack-of-all-trades list similar to this one before? I know I'm not concentrating abilities and firepower like typical rebel lists but I made something similar a while back and got 4th out of 20 in a (different) store's monthly tournament.

B-Wing, blue
Adv Sensor

A-Wing, green
Push the Limit

X-Wing, Biggs

Y-Wing, Dutch Vander
Ion Cannon

I was hoping that with such a list it'd perform similarly to the Biggs, rookie, double B-Wing build but it'd give me more options. I had trouble against a Lambda+ Squints list before and I hope the y-wing would help against squints while the a-wing can flank. I've been trying it out with my friend and I seem to like it better than double b-wings due to dutch's free target lock. The other ships are free to focus while Dutch hands out locks.

• Locked thread