Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Has there been any word if we will get larger ships? Large than the falcon anyways? Id love to see frigates and Corvette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
In almost every wargame, skirmish, conflict, fleet or what ever, I always find it infinitely more enjoyable to play with some kind of objective, instead of a basic death match style. I think that XWMG could definitely benefit from having more of them. The ones in the manual are alright, but there needs to be more for sure.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

SERPUS posted:

I didn't really see this clarified in the rules, and it came up during play today: Are the focus and evade tokens reusable? Although I can't imagine them being a one-time use thing, but if they ARE reusable, shouldn't they be played at every opportunity?

This is how we played today. Almost every activation phase ended with focus/evade/special ability tokens being next to a ship.

When you use the effect of the tokens you are supposed to discard them, if at the end of the turn, if they are still in play you discard them as well.

On the back of the rule book, under the right side of the quick reference

quote:

Focus: Place 1 focus token on the active ship. During the Combat phase, spend it to change all (eye) results to (hit) results (when attacking) or (eye) results to (evade) results (when defending)

quote:

Evade: Place 1 evade token on the active ship. During the Combat phase, spend it to add one (evade) result to the defense roll.

Step 4 of the Game Round:

quote:

End Phase: Players remove unused action tokens from their ships (except target locks) and resolve any "End Phase" abilities on cards.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

SERPUS posted:

Y's can fire torps at 360°?

I don't think so, their stand has the same forward firing arc.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I think their ion turret is 360, but not the torps.

The Ion turret can fire outside its arc, first line on the secondary equipment card for it.
Ion Turrets are a 5 point upgrade though, they don't come with the Y-wing for free.

quote:

Attack: Attack 1 ship (even a ship outside your firing arc)

Missiles and Torpedoes still have to follow the secondary weapon rules though, and have to fire using the ships firing arc.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 18, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Fingers McGee posted:

So we got to use this tonight, it was a blast.

the scale is off but it looks great! whats it from?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Any idea what the scale of these modes are?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So.. a to scale Star Destroyer only has to be 13.3 feet long..... :negative: guess we will never see that!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Those TIEs are cheaper than I can get them at my wholesale distribution rates. They are losing money on them.

I have distribution accounts with FFG, and with Warpathgames.com

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Sounds like the Rebel player should have brought another ship and less toys.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Has there been any mention as to what is coming in the future for this game?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
There are also TONS of neutral cannon ships, if anyone remembers JTL from the SWG days :(

I hope for all that is right in this world that they do NOT do clone wars era stuff.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
True but Ep VII is coming and its post original trilogy, now would be a great time to help drive more interest (not that its really needed)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I use those plano cases as well, I have two, a single side and a double side.

Left top storage for counters and rulers. Right: double sided case, Imperial side.

Left lower storage, bases, cards, dice. Right: Rebel side. I think I need more rebels.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Colonial Air Force posted:

One of my favorite terrain manufacturers is now making MDF maneuver templates.
http://store.gcmshop.com/p/1930/star-wars-x-wing-maneuver-templates

I have actually been thinking about getting a set of these.
They are larger but there are less of them
http://www.litko.net/products/Space-Fighter,-Maneuver-Gauge-Set-(4).html#.UaqXW0C1FWY

I can get them for much less, if anyone wants in on my next order.
$20 + Shipping, which would be dirt cheap, flat rate USPS.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

The Gate posted:

Fitting single ones on the board is a chore already, can't imagine actually being able to ever place those things down without knocking over a half-dozen models.

Thats true, guess I hadn't thought of that.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

alg posted:

This makes me so mad:

Rebel ships are still too expensive. That shuttle better have only 3 maneuvers on its dial.

Its a 4 point difference, the B-Wing gets an additional maneuver and an additional equipment slot. I don't really see a problem with this. Its armor is two points less, but as you mentioned I bet that its maneuverability is way better than the Shuttle. Still its only 4 points and not really something to get angry about - at all.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Rebel ships always cost more, as there are fewer of them in play at any given time. Its not just an additional torpedo, its a whole different combination, there are only two that re similar between the two ships.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Imperials because they have the initiative?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

alg posted:

I know I don't need another X-Wing and don't really want to buy the Medium Transport model just to get Jek Porkins. But I'm sure FFG will trick me into it.

Just wait then, I will have at least 3 of them, no need for duplicate unique pilots (I have so many alrady, anyone want a Wege? I have 4)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Obviously your love of spaceships goes far beyond virtual ones.

ahaha you have no idea :D

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, I was at the FFG Gamestore (and HQ) in Minneapolis on Wednesday, I saw the Coreillian Corvette and the Rebel Troop Transport in a display case. Both were very impressive, but the Coreillian Corvette was jaw dropping. so much detail... it really is awesome and I hope the production versions are just as good.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

pbpancho posted:

Were you there in the evening with a couple other people, who were asking if the models were used in a game? I think I was playing City of Horror right next to you guys.

Yep, that sounds about right, two women and three men. Two out of our group are not really board / wargamers. I was driving and I wanted to stop :D I wish we had a gamestore like that around here, we are all from Sioux Falls, SD

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Wooo, just got my 3 Tantives and 3 Rebel Transports! Scenario Time!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Ill be sure to post pictures of our massive battle when we play, I am waiting for my set of JR Miniatures Deathstar tiles to show up. going to have a 3x3 deathstar at one end of a 4x8 table, with trenchrun, and rounded edges and a Rebel feet assaulting :D Its gonna be great.

You can see the tiles, trench and rounded sides here.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1238621915/space-station-terrain-project-thats-no-moon

oh and of course you know the Imperials will have defense turrets :D

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
gently caress the YT-2400 at least the Empire is getting some love.

The VT-49 Decimator looks pretty nice. A couple of them should make for nice Corvette hunters.

edit:

YT-2400 for completion.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 13, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Nebalebadingdong posted:

What's with the big circular arrows on the base?

Turrets have 360° arc of fire. This is usually the primary weapon on ships that have it on the base.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Madurai posted:

I would have guessed that the next Imperial large ship would have been the Sentinel, since it had screen time.

That's just another version of the lambda, I would have been pretty disappointed if that was the next mid size ship to release. I can't wait to see what will be the first Imperial large ship.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Madurai posted:

A Lambda that's twice the size and has missiles.

Everything I've seen is the size is pretty similar, just longer, the front of it is exactly the same.
Edit: did some checking and yeah, its just almost twice as long. 38 meters as to the lambdas 20m, The rest of it is very similar. It only has two concussion launchers, and was mainly meant for a Troop / Vehicle / Supply transport, not a primary combatant.

Poopy Palpy posted:

As much as I'd like to swat alphabet fighters out of the sky with a Lancer Frigate, that thing is twice the size of a CR-90.

I figure they will do one more size at a smaller scale to get some of the larger things in, but I don't think we will ever see star destroyers or mon-cal cruisers.

A Nebulon-B Frigate would work though, they are only a little larger than a Corillian Corvette, and the Imperials used them a lot. There are also a lot of snub ships that look like baby star destroyers. A lot of this is EU content though, including both of these new ships and the characters on them, so they must not be following 100% cannon now?

edit: guess they have been for a while now, the HWK / Katarn was EU as well.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 13, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Tekopo posted:

The Nebulon-B is almost twice the length of the Corellian Corvette.

You are correct, it actually is twice the length, 300m to the corvette's 150m.

They could do a Imperial Customs corvette, its only 180m so 30m longer than a Corillian Corvette.

Guardian Class Light-Cruiser is only 42 meters long.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Guardian-class_light_cruiser

This site is helpful.
http://insd.swcombine.com/insd.htm

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 13, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Looks like we are getting an FFG Star Wars Fleet Battles game.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4979

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I was almost 300 posts behind in this thread so jumped to the last page and posted. I am sorry, I didn't realize there was a premium on posts...

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

jivjov posted:

Man, you're totally right, Howlrunner is actually Civé Rashon from Star Wars Galaxies. Man, I lost some nerdcred there.

EDIT: Kinda makes me wonder though, why they didn't just put that name on the card and went with the callsign instead. I mean, Luke's X-Wing card isn't "Red 5".

Howlrunner is her call sign, Red 5 is Luke's squadron identity. Squadron identity is used when in engagement / maneuvers so that listeners outside the squadron know who is talking and in what reference. Her squadron identity is Obsidian 1 for reference.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 14, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Lungboy posted:

Have they said how much the starter box will cost?

$99.95 is the price I have from my distributor

This is in the same price range as other full size box boardgames, so really its not that much of a stretch. Its also the same price as most intro boxes to traditional table top wargames. Speaking of, remember hearing not too long ago that they would be doing a tabletop wargame, I wonder if this is what that person meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm just hoping this doesn't shatter the playerbase and organized play support. I'd get into the new game but don't have room for it.

I see it as two similar but fundamentally different audiences, though this is clearly a gateway game for tabletop wargames. It seems to me that Armada games are going to last at least 50% longer than X-Wing, and require different planning and strategy skills.

About organized play support, dont worry at all. FFG is awesome at it, they do it for all 6 of their LCGs, X-Wing, and Descent.

• Locked thread