Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

Oh, and buy them online so that instead of $40 for a starter set and $15 for a figure, it's $26 for the starter set and $10 for a figure.

Where is this price to be found? I've searched around a bit, and the best discount I could find was through Amazon, but that was only $35 for the starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Not a bad price...but the shipping is so high that it completely balances out. Oh well, my local brick and mortar store has a layaway program, I'll just take advantage of that and spread the cost of the set out over a couple of pay periods.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

Free shipping for $100+ orders. I got my X-Wing stuff, Android Netrunner, and a few expansions I'd been putting off based on price. Ordered on a Monday morning, they shipped FedEx home delivery that evening, I had them that Saturday at 9am. They also give additional discounts based on lifetime purchase amount, so I'm already at a 1% discount on everything after that one order.

You make a good case. I guess my only hang up is that as a poor college student, I know I'm gonna spend $100+ bucks on this game anyway, I just can't do it in one go like that. Perhaps its time to learn the value of saving up.

For some content actually related to the game, how well do X-Wings and TIE Fighters stack up against each other? In the Star Wars films/EU, TIEs are super fragile, but I would think to have a balanced game, FFG would have to have buffed them up a little.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Does Wedge Antilles come as a pilot card in the core set, or is he in the X-Wing expansion pack?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

X-Wing expansion pack.

And there goes $10 more out of my wallet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fox of Stone posted:

Welp, looks like I dove in anyway. It's star wars. Just wondering, but how long do you think it would take to recreate the entire Death Star (I) run with this game? Just in case my friends would like to join in too.

How much recreation are we talking here? Full squadron of X-Wings and Y-Wings against something like 36 TIEs? I've heard that a 4v4 match takes upwards of an hour, so a 24v36 match would take AGES.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Colonial Air Force posted:

Do we have a card for Jek Porkins?
Lord I hope so.

On that note, I really want to be able to assemble the Starfighters of Adumar team: Wedge Antilles, Wes Janson, Tycho Celchu, and Hobbie Kilvian.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

P.S. The real pro team is Wraith Squadron. Calling it now: Lieutenant Kettch card in 2013.

Dream Wraith Team - Face, Runt, Piggy, and Kettch (Shouldn't he be a Hawkbat? "Kettch" never actually "flew" with the Wraiths)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CrotchPheasant posted:

It'd make sense, I think he was the 'best' X-wing pilot in the books as well.

There's a delightful little exchange in one of the Wraith Squadron books where the pilots are debating who is the best pilot ever, and they come down to the conclusion that Luke Skywalker is a consummate badass, but since he "retired" from combat pilot duty and became a Jedi, he doesn't count. That leaves Wedge, the only pilot in the Rebellion/New Republic to have gone up against both Death Stars and survived.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

lighttigersoul posted:

He's one of two, as I remember. His XO for Wraith Squadron also had two Death Star patches, if I remember right.

IIRC, his XO is either Wes or Tycho. Tycho didn't start flying with the rebels until post-Battle of Yavin. Wes was sick during the Battle of Yavin and Porkins was flying his X-Wing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Weissritter posted:

Yeah, in the EU he is probably the best pilot around.

There was a joke that he could not fail even when he tried.

Ahahaha, I had forgotten about that scene. For context (spoiler'd for anyone who cares about New Jedi Order spoilers) He was tasked with engaging a Yuuzhan Vong fleet and then "heroically get driven back" to where a trap had been laid. However due to several circumstances, including (IIRC) and internal schism with the Vong leadership, he ended up routing the Vong with minimal losses.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tsed posted:

...Keyan Farlander?

According the stuff that accompanied X-Wing (the game), Farlander was in the sole surviving Y-Wing in DS1, and a B-Wing at DS2.

I have no idea if he appeared outside the game manuals/guides though. He was always on the rebel side, but had his dark side moments.

Farlander gets name-dropped in one of the NJO books I believe, but that's the extent of his other EU appearances.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Core set arrived today, ran the simple-rules X-wing vs 2 TIEs game with a buddy of mine....immidiatley after the battle was done, we walked up to the comic shop and bought another X-Wing, a TIE, and a Y-Wing. This game is stupid amounts of fun, I love how simple it all is, but not at the expense of tactics.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Assuming that I'm providing rebel and imperial ships for each game (most of my friends are interested in playing but not buying their own sets), how many duplicate ships do I need to invest in to run 80-100 point games effectively?

I currently have a core set, and one of each of the X, Y, and TIE expansions (total of 3 TIES, 2 Xs, 1Y). I'm planning on buying a second core set for the extra movement templates and dice, plus at least one more Y-wing and a TIE Advanced (that would bring me to a total of 5 TIEs, 3 Xs, 2 Ys, and 1 TIEadv).

I'm thinking that'll be enough to hold me over until the 2nd wave of expansions comes out, since my biggest concern is unit variety; Xs vs TIEs will get a bit old after a while.

Is there anything in the TIE Advanced expansion that's unique and worth having a duplicate of? Should I get more X/Y wings?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

So many good ships we need, and I'd expect many of them will be seen. TIE Defenders, Missile Boats, Gunboats, Skipray Blastboats, B-Wings, maybe even some cheap Z-95s....

EDIT: Maybe if there's a capital ship expansion of some kind (not full-blown capships, just assaults on them) we can even get TIE Bombers.

I wouldn't be surprised if wave 3 is B-Wing, TIE bomber as regular sized, Lambda shuttle and, I dunno, the Outrider as midsize.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your question, but you can't use duplicates of uniques.

I meant things like equipment cards and whatnot. I know pilots you can only use one of, but as I mentioned, I'm the only one in my friends group that actually wants to buy stuff for the game, so are there any equipment cards that both rebel and imp players may want?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Welp, just got approved for the Amazon.com credit card, so I celebrated by using the $50 gift card I got for signing up to get myself a 2nd core set and a TIE Advanced. 2 core sets and one of each expansion should be plenty for now...although I may want to get a 2nd Y-Wing and 2nd TIE Advanced at some point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

Equipment can also be unique, such as R2-D2 and R5-K6. If it has a bullet point next to the name, only one can be in play at a time.

If you want to see what comes in each sku, http://www.youtube.com/chronoradio shows the contents of each one.

Ahh, I love Nathan's videos. Yeah, his recommendation was what got me to get the game at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The trick to TIEs I've found is to barrel roll. Always barrel roll. Barrel roll every TIE every turn. That little shift laterally is fantastic for escaping firing arcs and breaking up the cluster-o-ships that tends to form at the center of the table.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I got a question, how stiff is the plastic? I'd be worried about warped TIE Panels and X-wing S-Foils.

They're pretty solid. The panels separating from the struts is more of an issue than the panels warping.

The laser cannons on the xwings are a bit more flimsy than I'd like, but that's pretty unavoidable when they're that small. The s-foils are fine though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alberta Cross posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows the release schedule with the expansions yet..?

I asked my FLGS about it and was told the following:

"Fantasy Flight Games never gives firm release dates...because they would always miss them. Their supply chain through China gets all their stuff hung up in customs or factory problems and international shipping, so a release date would very rarely be accurate. That said, they materials they sent us indicate sometime in Late October will be when FFG gets the new expansions to distributors, so our store should have some a week or so after that."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One thing this game does very well (from a business perspective) is encouraging the mentality of "Gotta buy one more ship". I sat down and started theory-crafting some 100pt teams to field and kept wishing that I had a 2nd Y-wing, or a 4th X-Wing (thought it might be fun to run X-Wings like they're TIEs as a gimmick. Rookie Pilots all around). I'm hoping once the 2nd (and future) waves of ships come out, It'll be easier to build an awesome squad without needing lots of duplicate ships.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got my Plano case today. Holds everything alright, but I'm a bit concerned about putting more ships in it. I'll probably have to get a bit more creative (maybe some foam bits like a previous poster suggested) to fit more ships in the way I'd like them.

That said, now that everything is in a nice, easy to carry case, I can take X-Wing on the go.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alberta Cross posted:

Is the TIE fighter expansion worth getting? I have the base set along with an extra X-Wing, Y-Wing and TIE Advanced. I'm thinking of getting a new base set, or two single TIEs.

Do the TIEs add any new cards, or would the base set be better?

Its worth snagging an Expansion TIE because it does come with some unique cards including some more named pilots.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fox of Stone posted:

I now have 2 Y-wings, 3 x-wings, 5 TIEs, and a TIE advanced. God drat I forgot how much I'm a sucker for star wars toys. :negative:

How are you guys playing the Dutch Vander ability? Do you immediately grant a target lock regardless of the other ship having spent one?

Don't feel too bad, you only have one more ship than I do (and I plan on getting a second Y-Wing before too much longer)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really starting to feel that the imperials are overpowered, or at least the point balance is off...just played a 100pt game, my buddy was able to field 4 TIEs and a TIE advanced, every single one of them named pilots, I was only able to field 2 xwings and 1 Ywing, with only a single named pilot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Which is pretty true to the lore. The Empire fields a bunch of cheap poo poo, the Rebels have less but better ships.

E: See United States v. Soviet Union during the Cold War.

Yeah but it wasn't cheap poo poo. He was able to field all named pilots, not a bunch of cheap Black Squadron pilots or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Swagger Dagger posted:

You have to play with a bunch of asteroids or the overwhelming amount of focus fire the imperials can put out with basically no effort breaks the game.

Alrighty, obstacles next time it is, then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Karandras posted:

edit: Just checked the bottom of the first page recommending CoolStuffInc, is there any idea of an ETA for the A-Wing and TIE-Interceptor?

My FLGS said they would probably start shipping in late October, and be at stores a couple weeks after that. However Fantasy Flight does not give out firm release dates, so it could slip later than that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CrotchPheasant posted:

According to the guy at mine, it'd probably be late November.

Finally got my first game in today and it was a lot more fun than I'd anticipated. Took about an hour to get through one of the book missions, but 75% of that was reading rules. I can't imagine how fast this can go when everyone knows what they're doing...

The big thing that tends to slow my games down is assigning actions (Focus/Evade/Barrel Roll/etc). Hopefully that'll go away when people get more comfortable with the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SERPUS posted:

I didn't really see this clarified in the rules, and it came up during play today: Are the focus and evade tokens reusable? Although I can't imagine them being a one-time use thing, but if they ARE reusable, shouldn't they be played at every opportunity?

This is how we played today. Almost every activation phase ended with focus/evade/special ability tokens being next to a ship.

Unless I've been playing wrong, they are reusable. However, you only can (normally) put down one per ship per turn, so if you've got multiple tokens next to a ship you may be doing it wrong.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Acinonyx posted:

Ya, I definitely want a copy of each of the cards, but what I'm trying to figure out is which sets have cards/pilots that I need more than one of?

If you have one of each expansion, you'll end up with everything you need. I can't speak for official events, but if you want to use more than one of an equipment card that you only have a single copy of, it's not unreasonable to house-rule it to just apply the same card to multiple ships.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm so glad this game doesn't do any of the collectable mystery box crap we've seen in the past.

I figure I'll pick up the starter set. What should I get after that? The consensus seems to be one of each of the expansions. Should I also get a second core, or just a set of dice?

I would suggest a second core set. It's a great value for getting 2 TIEs and an X-Wing. Also, it gets you a second set of movement templates; great for playing with someone that doesn't have their own set.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Romav posted:

I just ordered 2 core sets and a complete series 1 set, this game looks fantastic.

Don't know if this has been answered, but are there missions at all? Or is it always straight up fights? Just wondering if there's anything to give some variety or does that come from experimenting with different fleet combinations?

Either way looks cool.

The core set comes with a couple special mission layouts, but as far as I know the tournament scene is pure head-to-head.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And keep in mind that the second wave of expansions is coming in the not too distant future. Once A-Wings and TIE Interceptors are available, will you really need 8 TIEs/3 Y-Wings, whatever?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What are everyone's thoughts on maintaining enough minis for both Rebel and Imperial fleets? Once I graduate and leave the dorms in 2 weeks, I most likely will not be playing often against people who don't already have their own sets of ships (i.e. instead of loaning my TIEs to my roommate and playing against him, I'll be going to the local game store and fighting against people who bring their own stuff).

I highly prefer playing as Rebels over the Empire, so are there any real reasons to buy Slave 1/TIE Interceptors if I'm rarely if ever going to personally use them?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any word on how expansive FFG wants this game to become? If they don't branch out into EU ships, we've got maybe one more wave of ships left. The only things in the proper size scale we haven't seen yet are B-Wings, TIE Bombers, and Lambda Shuttles (as the "mid-size" of a hypothetical wave 3).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If we get prequel ships, which is more likely; introducing "Republic" and "Separatist" factions, or just lumping all the "Good Guys" with the Rebels and the "Bad Guys" with the Imperials?

I'd kinda like to run a mixed force of A-Wings, Naboo Starfighters, and V-19 Torrents

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just got done with a quite hectic battle against my roommate. Despite blundering straight into asteroids 2 turns in a row, Dutch proved to be the instrument of my success. Popped his 2 TIEs early on, had 3 ships with target locks on Vader that wiped him out, and he conceded the fight after I took down Marek's shields and Ion blasted him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My local store is charging $10. I was a little upset, because none of the posters or sign up sheets mentioned an entry fee, and I thought it was a FFG mandated thing.

• Locked thread