Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Merauder posted:

I hadn't played or kept up with this game since not long after Wave 2 was released (I played in/ran a Kessel Run tournament, any my stuff didn't hit the table much after that), but with seeing the release of the Wave 4 ships recently my interest was rekindled... and now in the last week I've picked up Imperial Aces, one Defender, Phantom, EWing, Z-95, Bomber, HWK, and Lambda Shuttle, 2 BWings, a 3rd AWing, and each of the huge ships to fully flush out the collection. :v:

I've got a group of regulars who I get together with and do random gaming with once a week at our FLGS (anything from TCGs to party games to Warmachine to board games) and last week introduced a couple of them to this game and they seemed to enjoy it. This week I'm showing up prepared with 8 pre-built lists to let people pick from and explore the game some more; hopefully I'll actually get some of them interested enough to play more regularly!

Here's the lists for discussion sake. I tried to make them varied in options, and include a large majority of my total ships allowing all of these to be on the table simultaneously without overlap. :)

LISTS

$150 Rebel and $170 Empire. Not insane, but not cheap either. Decisions, decisions :rodimus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As i understand it, spending $320 for all of that gets you alot more in this game than it would in some other miniatures game though.

No argument there, it compares to other games just fine; but do I need yet another game in my life, that is the real question? I'll ask a guy who attends my weekly game night to bring it and have a test run and I guess I'll know then.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

enri posted:

If it helps any, it's pretty much become my 'go to' game these days and I'm the kind of guy who just doesn't have time for another game. Except against one regular opponent who played a few games using just the starter set and didn't really gel well with it. Trying to get him to play a game with more ships though, might get him a little more excited for it.

The real deal breaker for me is that ships are cheap and I don't need to get them painted up, I really don't have much spare time to dedicate to painting these days so having a completely playable force out of the box is a big bonus. I still enjoy my painting, just get very little time to do it that's all.

"Deal clincher". But I totally get your meaning.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Some Star Wars sketch comedy that seems somewhat appropriate to this thread.

Brown X-Wing Squadron

Brown B-Wing Squadron

Brown Snowspeeder Squadron

NWS for salty language.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

Maybe we need to think outside the box:

That looks very polished. Is it just a one off?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

I wish I knew, found it on /tg/ the other day.

This may be it here.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1577774/eagle-5-starbago.html?modelId=1577774&materialId=6

The person that made that plan has 29 pages of ships, good god!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The more I see lists and card add-on builds, the less I want to play this game.

I just wanted a simple, Tie Fighter tries to shoot X-Wing and visa versa, game. But with all these characters and traits and upgrades I'm feeling less pumped.

I'll still try it with my local player, but the bloom may be off the rose.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

alg posted:

It's a really good game, break free from the shackles of aspergers and give it a go :shobon: All the options have only made it more interesting.

Less aspergers, more being sick to death of "cute" custom lists of wargear and upgrades. I like simple rules that don't require you to remember that your commander has the Ignores All Fear Tests rule because of his cloak of awesome that you bought him as an upgrade.

I know this game will suffer from it less than say Warhammer, but it is still bothersome.

And I will try it before I immediately give up, never fear.

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, the game wouldn't be very interesting if it wasn't for the squad builder. And really, if you want, you can just do simple stuff if that's what floats your boat.

I can see why upgrades might make the game a little more interesting, but standard builds and lists of spammed units bore the poo poo out of me. For all the good the internet has done, net lists are not part of that goodness.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 23, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I dunno, I'm probably over thinking it. I'll just shut up until I play a game or two and see if it "clicks" with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

overdesigned posted:

Amazon and other retailers online offer most products at ~20% off. There's not usually a need to get more than 2 of anything. I have basically two of everything except the huge ships, which to do for both factions is going to set you back like $1,000 but you don't need to go that far if you don't want. You can play the game with the core set and 2-3 extra ships. More ship variety is going to get you more options in upgrades; 4-5 extra ships and you'll be able to do more stuff. Some ship upgrades can be used cross-faction so if you go way into it you'll eventually end up owning ships on both sides.

I think $1000 is over stating it. Looking at Miniature Market getting the starter set, both aces sets, 4 of the medium size ships and 11 single small ships nets you 18 small craft 4 mediums and 0 ultra huge ships for about $250+. Not cheap, but not that painful as far as gaming prices go.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread