Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
There is a lot about this that is reminiscent of wings of war. Have you played both OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
For a couple of years now at Christmas my extended family, who are otherwise unaware of my wargaming, have really enjoyed playing Wings of War. As such for this Christmas I am upgrading to this, having warned them it is a slightly more complicated game (due to differing ships and the action phase). They are well up for it and thanks to a lot of ebay sales of my 40k and impulsive buying I now have one of most of the ships.

The format we would play with WoW was everyone has one plane and it is upwards of four players on a team. I was planning on balancing the points and keeping the upgrades to a minimum for this format in x wing

I have flicked through the thread and I was wondering if any of the more experienced guys who the force is strong with had any suggestions or setbacks with the way the game plays I might encounter.

What kind of play area do you need? The ships move a lot further than WWI biplanes! We are on.a normal dining room table.

I notice there are a lot of missions in the main box set and various upgrades? Does anyone have any recommendations on a mission that is fairly simple but fun. This being said there is so much animosity and old grudges that it will rapidly become a death match.

This Christmas we have swapped the Red Baron argument for the millennium falcon argument....

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Those are some really handy points. Thanks!

Neat looking missions too.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 16, 2013

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Quick question about critical hits after first outing this afternoon.

With the weapon malfunction card it is phrased thus:

Ship

Reduce your primary weapon value by 1 to a minimum of 0

Action: roll 1 attack die, on a hit/critical hit flip this card facedown

I am unsure how to interpret this. Is the action part implying I should roll a red dice and ignore the effect of the card if it is a hit. Do I do this straight away or in the action phase at the end of movement?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks guys. This was kind of along the lines of what I was expecting but it is good to have the clarity from those with functional experience. I really enjoyed my first experience of this game. The feel of the dogfighting between the agile but fragile TIES (I was really impressed with what you can do with barrel roll) and the less agile buts tougher X wings was really good.

and the presence of the action phase and stress tokens make it generally a lot more decisive than wings of war. Looking through the damage cards the one thing I am sad not to see is the absence of movement effects, ie no right turns in the next turn. One of the great things about WoW damage cards for mewas the rudder jams and the effect they had on tactical decisions. They were pretty decisive in a stalemate but with thought they could be a challenging conundrum as either you accelerate away, stall with a short jump forward etc. I appreciate fluff wise why it probably isn't so but I would love the prospect of. Tie fighter having no option but to slew away into an asteroid like in Empire.

Now I am wondering if I could create an asteroid field mission using 40k scatter dice to establish the direction an a d6 the speed of moving . A mechanism for determining new asteroids ( as all will be heading off the board ) ie d3+1 per turn, assign each of the board edges as 1-4 on a d6 and the on a 5 the imperial and on. 6 the rebel gets to choose. It would be quite onerous to move all the asteroids. The mission could be the Millenium Falcon chased by a good number of TIE fighters and has to survive as long as possible. Red die on contacting an asteroid as per normal rules around hitting an obstacle. Asteroids move at pilot skill 0.

• Locked thread