Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I didn't do any real checking on shipping prices, but my FLGS has it 20% off and I'm fairly sure they'll ship wherever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Since I can't edit my post with the phone app for some reason today, here's the missing link from my last post: http://www.scifigenre.com/itemList.aspx?sid=0IH1X1RQ1JJTHX0&nCategoryID=8&nSubCategoryID=135&nExpandToID=5666

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Edit: nevermind, I cannot read!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

lighttigersoul posted:

That sounds to me like it needs errata, since selling your squad short should only grant an advantage somewhere.

Being able to stick ships in the way of enemy ships in hopes of forcing them to run into you seems like it might be useful sometimes. Forcing them to lose actions, not shoot the guy they ran into, and thus maybe not kill/avoid whatever else might be their line of fire, forcing them to land on an asteroid, or setting them up to get shot without focus/evade to defend with. The threat of denying someone space should be just as concerning to you as the chance to use actions better. I am probably missing something though since I played my first game/learning game tonight!

Speaking of...holy poo poo this game is fun! I decided to go Rebels, so the guy showing me how to play just busted out his 2 lists from the KR event this past weekend to show me the ropes (I'd watched part of a game and had a vague gist of how poo poo worked). I had Wedge, Biggs, and Horton Salm. Wedge had a Torpedo, Biggs had the extra defense die astromech, and Salm had 2 Torps, the flip damage face down astromech, and an ion cannon. I was facing a Vader, Howlrunner, 2 Black Squadron TIEs, and an Academy TIE. All but the Academy pilot had Swarm Tactics, to pass Vader's piloting of 9 down the chain.

It ended up a really drat close game, I learned a ton (TIE's are freaking fast!), I had Biggs and Wedge split to my left and Salm go down the middle at the start. Turn 1, nothing. Turn 2 saw Salm lock onto Howlrunner, blast him with a Torpedo taking him to 1 point, and Salm got shot up, also at 1 point. Biggs tanked for Wedge, who put a torpedo onto Vader and got rid of his shield. After that it turned into a huge furball, Salm jumped right into the middle of them (thanks to 0 piloting from a crit) and ended up being untargetable, meanwhile Biggs and Wedge went on a rampage. Biggs ended up taking out Howlrunner, Vader, and another TIE by the end of the game, with Wedge setting up pretty much every kill by knocking things to 1 point left. Salm got shot up a couple turns after he ion-cannoned Vader. I lost at the end after Wedge ended up on top of an asteroid by half a millimeter with 1 point of hull left, dead in front of a focused TIE with 2 hull left. If I'd gone slightly farther, I'd have had Wedge at range 1, with a target lock and a focus, shooting first!

Still, an excellent showing I feel like for a first game, especially since I've seen a lot of people saying how tough lists with Howlrunner are. I goofed with Salm by not realizing how fast TIE's were turn 1. They went 5, I went 3; next turn even moving only 1 put all of them at range 1, shooting first thanks to Vader's 9 piloting, with 2 still in range of Howlrunner (and I had set up Biggs to cover Wedge, expecting Salm to be safer), and they did 7 of his 8 hit points, which pretty much meant I had to baby him. I think forcing him to split fire or eat 2 X-Wings in the flank of Vader/Howlrunner actually ended up helping me out a lot, but it still hurt to watch a Y-Wing just get eaten up like that.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Tycho with Push the Limit and Wedge with Expert Handling or Engine Upgrade sounds like a ton of points fun!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Naramyth posted:

I got the core set for Xmas to go with the expansions I bought. :getin:

Same here! Now to get another core set and probably more expansions.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Naramyth posted:

Speaking of upgrade cards, I noticed in the builder that Rebels can't take swarm tactics/team leader but I can't find a reason why in the book.

They show as available for me on that page, maybe an old version got cached or something on you?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Backno posted:

So I have a question about what I should buy to get started. Is there any point to buy the individual X-wing and Tie Fighter or should I just buy a 2nd starter box?

A second box is good for the extra dice and templates (and ships, too), but the upgrade packs come with different cards/pilots as well. I did both and have no regrets!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
To be honest, you probably want at least 3 X-wings anyway as a Rebel player, and at least 4 TIE's as an Imp player. So, getting 2 cores plus one of each expansion gives you nice coverage for a decent cost and the extra dice, templates, and cards are all handy if not strictly needed. With the new ships you probably won't need as many TIE Fighters as before, but we'll see how it shakes out. Personally, a couple Interceptors backed by a bunch of cheaper Fighters sounds fun. But so does Vader and Soontir Fel high-fiving while shooting people.

Also, Soontir Fel with either Daredevil or Push the Limit just seems all sorts of :black101:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, even if those 4 ships had been the 4 most expensive ones he could take, that still left 35 points of upgrades jammed onto them. He should have had another body, and probably not taken 4 characters if he did.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Finally got in another game last night, had a blast. This game is probably the most fun I've had with minis gaming in a long-rear end time. Finally got to play as the Imperials, took Vader (Conc missiles, squad leader), Mithal, Backstabber (Expert Handling), Night Beast, and a Black squad pilot (Determination). Up against a pimped out Wedge, Dutch, Garven combo. The first three turns saw Dutch, Wedge, Vader, and Night Beast get offed as our ships all attempted bizarre mating rituals in a clump. I ended up winning from there, with 3 TIEs left with a single damage left slowly whittling down Garven.

The 1 speed sharp turn is so good.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I've seen a couple Imp v Imp fights; it's sort of a slapfight. If one team has Mithal and/or Backstabber, or Howlrunner to buff, they have a big leg up. Otherwise, you end up with a lot of 2 dice against 3 defense + evade/focus, which means no one gets hit. Even 3 against 3 at range 1 is only small odds at dealing damage (3/8 of a damage if you both focus, I think). Basically, whoever uses the named pilots the best will win, otherwise its mostly luck. Most matchups like this went to time at the Kessel run from what I understand.

I think Interceptors will change that up a bit, they'll be able to hit much more reliably at close range.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

jivjov posted:

My semi-final round at the Kessel run was Rebel vs Rebel and it worked fine. It was a bit of a slugging match, but it didn't drag too much.

Yeah, I can imagine that would go quickly, since the ships are actually a big threat to each other. I actually kind of imagine that A-Wings will be really awesome against other Rebel lists, since the Rebels don't have Evade or better than 2 Agility, except on other A-Wings. Against TIE's, it can keep up with them and is just as agile, but it's going to suffer a similar problem in actually landing hits. Though Push the Limit + Target Lock + Focus might make them a bit better at actually landing some hits.

Here's two Rebel lists I actually want to try out, and think might do pretty well:

List 1: 100
Wedge w/ R2 Astromech, Determination
Gold Squadron w/ Ion Cannon

List 2: 100
Wedge w/ R2 Astromech, Swarm Tactics
Gray Squadron w/ Ion Cannon, R5 Astromech
Rookie Pilot
Rookie Pilot

List one is kind of a gimmick, but an amusing one I think. Just the chance to ion three fighters every turn makes me smile, and Wedge would have a field day murdering hapless TIE pilots. The second list is probably a lot stronger and I guess isn't anything new. No Biggs, because Biggs' ability makes you want to take your expensive X-Wing and get him shot while at longer ranges, meaning you're not taking advantage of his firepower. He's good, but I don't think I like him, personally. He's not actually more survivable than anyone else, and he's not more killy. He's just a target, and good maneuvering means his ability is of limited use. R2 Astromechs are the bomb, being able to actually pull good maneuvers when stressed, rather that either going almost straight or staying stressed, is awesome. For one point, hell yes, R2 units! Determination is pretty sweet on ace pilots, and it's a good buy for 1 point when you're just trying to get to 100. There's not many pilot crits, but the ones that there are, are all nasty as hell. Plus, there's the outside chance that you'll take a crit on your last hull point, have it be a pilot crit, and it will just get discarded instead of killing you. Pretty sweet (it will never happen)!

I know earlier in the thread there was a discussion about Initiative and whether it was good or bad. After playing more, I think it's actually situationally useful. It depends on how you've built your list, mostly. In some cases, moving first is a big deal, especially with lower-skilled pilots, since a pretty useful strategy is to try and jam up your opponents' movement lanes with low skill pilots, screwing their maneuvers and preventing them from taking actions. Imperial lists tend to do it more, since they have lots of cheap bodies most of the time, and Rebels have a harder time avoiding collisions with slower, less agile ships. In that case, being able to move your own 3-6 skill pilots, before the opposition, matters a lot. I say 3-6, because Rebels' poo poo pilots are all 2, and Imps' are all 1, so if you go super cheap, Initiative doesn't matter. But for those midlevel pilots, the better generic ones and the lesser named ones, being able to move before all the space is cluttered up can be pretty huge, even if all you can do is something defensive. It occasionally matters for the higher leveled (7-9) ones as well, but they tend to go so far towards the end, that simply beating out maybe 1 other ship isn't as big a deal; there's already a half-dozen moves made, at least. On the other hand, you still have to constant benefit of moving last = taking actions last, which is obviously good when you aren't running into poo poo.

I think initiative is going to be sort of a metagame thing. Some players who want to run a list with a bunch of the midlevel pilots, and want to get in the way, will want initiative if they think their opponent will be running midlevels as well. If the opponent is running all high and low, the midlevel pilots player might as well run 100 points, since it won't matter. That sort of thing will probably shake itself out on a per-group and per-player basis, which I think is pretty cool. I like that it also gives some extra meaning to having crappy pilots beyond cheap bodies. Academy pilots are the bane of any 3-ship Rebel build as far as I can tell, even just 2 or 3 can really screw up your movement. Elite builds for either side have to play really carefully or risk getting their best pilots stuck unable to take actions (watching Vader play bumper-ships for 3 turns is hilarious, if he's not yours; and a huge waste of his abilities). What say ye?

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 18, 2013

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Amazon seems like the only place that gets stocked regularly. My FLGS does a ton of business online and in-store, and the guy there basically told me they don't get restocks from FF until another expansion comes out for things like X-Wing and the LCGs, or occasionally when they happen to actually fill orders. I assume it's because the stuff has to make it to FF by boat, then get distributed from there.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Pilgrimski posted:

What do you guys think of it?

I can't find them on their website, linky? Looks sexy, though.

E: Okay, they're all different...that's why I didn't see them. I'm not sure how much I like that, yours looks cool but the banner ad ones look less awesome. Hmm.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 25, 2013

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
1 Defense is harsh. Y-Wings are bad because of that 1 Defense, because their shields and hull simply make up for their lack of defense, they don't actually make them tougher. Add to that the lack of maneuverability and speed, and yeah. Honestly, Y-Wings need about a 2-3 point decrease across the board, since they're totally useless against Imperials unless you pay for an Ion Cannon, and only mediocre then. YT's might be in a similar boat, though the constant 360 firing arc and higher durability might make them more useful in practice.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
My latest Imperial list is only 5 ships, 4 TIE's and Vader.

Vader gets Concussion Missiles and Squad Leader; Mauler Mithal gets Determination, Backstabber, Dark Curse, Night Beast.

Elite TIEs, go! Versus 3 ship Rebels you still have numbers and solid firepower; versus 4 ships you have higher pilot skill than 75% of their force. Against Imps, it's more of a crapshoot, but Vader, Mauler, and Backstabber can all get better odds to hit than most TIEs, so you have a small edge there. Can't wait for Wave 2 though, when I can run something like:

Soontir Fel (30); Daredevil

Turr Phennir (25)

Mauler Mithel (17)

Backstabber (16)

Academy Pilot (12)

A cheap roadblock and 4 pilots with 4 attack dice in the right circumstances. :getin:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah; Z-95, TIE Defender, TIE Avenger (aka TIE Advanced, but we already have the Advanced x1), Assault Gunboat, Lambda Shuttle would all fit just from the X-Wing and TIE Figher computer games. The E-Wing wouldn't be a bad EU ship either, sort of fits in the middle of the X-, Y-, and A-Wings in terms of role and performance. Problem might end up being getting enough Rebel ships to use, unless they start era-jumping or give them lots of freighters.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
It'd be a bit more of a niche game, for sure, but there's a dozen capital ships I could name off the top of my head just from the movies/early computer games, without even dipping too heavily into EU stuff. And that would just be Imperial/Rebel/neutral stuff, with more from some of the earlier novels and such. You go deeper into the EU and there's (for better or worse) the Hapans, Yevetha, Yuuzhan Vong, Chiss. List goes on, but there'd be plenty to work with. Personally I love fleet-based games though, so I'm probably not a very good judge of what would be a good business move - I just know I'd be all over it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The big ships seem to take a shitload of damage though. 1 defense die means you get hit by everything, whereas the TIE's have a much higher effective HP pool because they don't take hits nearly as often.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Focus is supposed to be the default action, I guess? It's the basic all around good action, you only Target Lock if you want to fire missiles or save it for next turn to combo with a focus or something. Honestly, it's less of an automatic use for Empire, where they can Evade on their craft, which makes it a 'sure thing' versus 'get lucky with eyes' roll. I don't see how it's "way too good" since players can use it offensively and defensively, on every ship, regardless of faction. If it was something only one side got, I might agree it's too strong, but it isn't. Marksmanship is just a 'Focus+' skill, it isn't great, but it's not meant to be, and it can really screw over Imperials with random crit damage.

Some math for you: rolling 3 dice, focus and evade have equal chances to give you +1 success. Focus is better if you're rolling 4 defense, Evade is better if you're on 1-2 defense. 3 dice is common, so it comes to this; do you want to guarantee at least one success, or gamble that focus will add more evades?

Edit: Guesses for new ships: B-Wing, TIE Bomber, Z-95, Lambda-class Shuttle. Z-95 probably won't happen, but I'm kinda stuck on what other fighter/small transport they could use from the original movies, unless they start branching to the prequels already. Z-95 has been around the EU for a long rear end time, and it's been in the videogames as well, so...maybe?

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 18, 2013

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Focus changes all eyes.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
You guys are lucky, ours got our wave 2 restock...and it went out to preorders again. Ugh.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
This site has everything in hover text, probably the easiest one to browse I've found so far. Can toggle from rebels to imps.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
There's no way they'd answer it in an email, or likely at all.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

It was really nice. Just a...gigantic store. Can't believe how big it was. Some of the employees were douchebags. But it's not literally a warehouse in a murder zone with no lights in the parking lot anymore.

Yeah, that old store was creepy as poo poo at night leaving. Oh, let me just walk behind the building to this mostly unlit gravel parking lot and get in my car. :ohdear:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
One thing to remember about PtL: it does give you a fair bit of info while you are playing against it. The guy with it can't k-turn on you if he uses it, which means it becomes much easier to get behind them. If he does k-turn, he can't push. If he doesn't push on one turn, it's probably because they expect to k-turn the next. Fel still focuses all the time, of course, but you can play around Push to a degree if you're careful.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
B-Wings look roughly similar to Y-Wings, no turret but 3 attack dice means they're slightly different in practice though. the big thing that's going to really make them good is Barrel Roll. That skill is amazing, and with the various synergy skills and pilots I think B-Wings might be pretty awesome. 1 agility is still going to hurt, though, I doubt you'd ever want more than 2 torps/missiles total.

Lambda shuttles look cool, and seem to be filling a 'command' role for Imps that's been lacking so far, which is cool. Hawks look like support but are fragile. Bomber gives Imps something besides lasers. To shoot without taking the x1, but I think it will really depend on how its maneuver dial looks and what else you take with it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Fitting single ones on the board is a chore already, can't imagine actually being able to ever place those things down without knocking over a half-dozen models.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Sephyr posted:

I wonder if they'll do the TIE Defender from the games. I assume it would have 3 attacks dice, 2 defense, 3 hull and 2 shields, while costing around 30-ish points.

The Missile boat is a bit more complicated. Maybe a shuttle with more hull points, an insane amount of room for ordnance and a free target lock action when it does a white maneuver?

The Defender is supposed to be as maneuverable as an Interceptor, so probably bump it to 3 defense and up the points a few more. Plus it could carry missiles and had ion cannons, so it would probably be more points than the Firespray :v:

Gunboat was pretty tough, but not agile like most TIE's, so maybe X-Wing-ish stats with less gun and some variation of torp/missiles? Probably a bit worse maneuver dial than an X-Wing, but better than a Y-wing. Gunboat was basically an Imperial update to the Y-wing in terms of role and firepower.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, I haven't played this in quite a while thanks to TIE Interceptors being nonexistant for months. How's the game looking these days? Anything totally insane I should know?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

A Medium Transport and Corvette are coming out. Unfortunately, the Transport comes with new cards :/

I'll be buying at least one of everything anyway because I am the worst. Also because OMG SPACESHIPS!!!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
It probably sits on the side in the center and you move from there. Leads to arcing turns in other naval games, so it's probably similar.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

enri posted:

drat, I've got a wonky'ish TIE, might give that a try.. it's not a massive issue, just bugs me a bit.

Had a game last night, I played imperials vs my friends rebels. 100 points on the nose, ended up taking the best part of 3 hours (the first kill was recorded somewhere around the 2 hour mark)

I don't know if it took so long due to some hilariously bad dice attack dice and some fortuitous defence dice or what but 3 hours felt like a long time to play 100 points. How long do your average games last at 100 points?

My TIE fighers have never felt so robust.

An hour seems more normal for my local group. 90 minutes if there's a lot of ships maybe. Three hours is pretty dang long.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Leo Showers posted:

The movement dial will make or break the Z-95, if it's fairly mobile it'll work out to be a good choice, but if it's slow as balls then it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Well, they've followed the performance of the ships in the various video games pretty closely so far. If they continue to, the Z-95 should have a similar dial to the X-Wing. Not amazing, but certainly good enough for a cheap support ship.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

TouchToneDialing posted:

Word on the street is the Tie Defender will have a white 4 k-turn.

:getin:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Poopy Palpy posted:

What were all the things I wanted to do with Y-wings but couldn't without an elite pilot talent?

I think it was "shoot things with something other than an ion cannon".

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I am getting so excited for Horton with Expose.

Horton + the X-Wing that shares focus + Expose = Very Yes?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Cheap, Rebel, and can take a missile to help against swarms I think. Rebels cheapest fighter previous was actually pretty pricey, these are the same cost as a basic TIE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Leo Showers posted:

If taken as a clarification, it makes sense. I think that it's poorly phrased still, I'd phrase it as "Colonel Jendon may assign 1 of his blue target lock tokens to any friendly ship at range 1, regardless if it has the 'Target Lock' action or not." I think runs as a better clarification because it is not excluding ships with a target lock action.

It's under a section labeled "Clarifications", and not the section labeled "Errata", how much more explicit do they need to be that it's not new card text and simply an explanation of what you can do?

• Locked thread