Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

quote:

X-Wing is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game in which players take control of powerful rebel X-wings and nimble Imperial TIE Fighters, facing them against each other in fast-paced space combat. Featuring stunningly detailed and painted miniatures, X-Wing recreates Star Wars’ exciting space battles. Select your crew, plan your maneuvers, and complete your mission!

Star Wars: X-Wing is a table top miniatures combat made by Fantasy Flight Games. In X-Wing you assemble a small fleet of ships and attempt to blast your opponents out of the sky. If you are familiar with Wings of War, you will be vaguely familiar with the idea of a skirmish game that tries to represent aerial dog fights. This is such a game.

This is the starter box. It comes with all the tokens, dice, and movement templates you need to play. It also comes with an X-Wing and two TIE Fighters.

Here are the some pictures of more pretty toys.

These are the items available now:
Star Wars: X-Wing™ Miniatures Game Core Set ($39.99)
X-Wing™ Expansion Pack ($14.99)
TIE Fighter™ Expansion Pack ($14.99)
Y-Wing™ Expansion Pack ($14.99)
TIE Advanced™ Expansion Pack ($14.99)

Sexy plastics, but how do you play?

Each ship has a maneuvers dial depicting all of the movements available to a given ships. A player will rotate these dials to select a movement for each of his ship, then place those dials face down. Once all players have selected maneuvers for each ship, they are all revealed and resolved in ascending order (orange Pilot skill 1 goes first, skill 10 goes last). Once each movement is done, each ship is assigned an action. Each ship can pick from a select number of actions, most of which revolve around doing more damage or avoiding more damage.

You will note that movement is done with templates. If you choose the Soft Left 2 move, then you will take the slightly curved template that is two inches long, line it up to your ships bow, and move your ship to the other end of it.

Once these are all done players perform attacks in descending order (10 is first this time, and 1 goes last). You roll attack dice equal to your red attack stat, looking for hit icons. Then the defending ship rolls his green evade stat, looking for evade icons. Evades cancel hits, and remaining hits are done to a ship's shields or hull until they are all gone and the ship is destroyed.

It really is that simple.
1.) Choose movement
2.) Perform movement and choose action (low to high)
3.) Attack (high to low)
Start over.

It's very easy to learn, but the simultaneous and secret choice of movements makes game play very exciting and engaging.

Ok, what's all this other poo poo in the box?

Well, most of them are tokens. Did you choose the evade action this turn? There is an evade token to put with your ship. Did you lock on to an enemy vessel? There are token to mark that too!

But also there are cards, three types to be exact. First are damage cards. They have a generic side to record damage; these are all the same and not special. There is on the reverse side of these a critical hit effect, in the event that someone scores a critical hit on a ship. It functions as a normal damage point, but also dicks with you in more specific, annoying ways.

Ship cards tell you your stats. Each ship has multiple pilots to pick from when building your fleet, which determine their stats, actions, and point costs. You can have your X-Wing piloted by a rookie, or by Luke Skywalker. Some of these pilots are named characters, and you can only have one of them in your fleet. Others are generic and can be used multiple times in the same list.

Last are upgrade cards. Some ships can purchase droids, which give additional actions or constant bonuses, or additional weapons, to give new ways to beat the poo poo out of people. Ion Cannons are very good. Buy lots of Y-Wings.

It also comes with dice specific to the game. You can buy more in a soon-to-be-released accessories kit. There is also an ap for that. It's on both Android and iPhone, and I believe it is $4.99 or close to that.

I don't trust you at all. Who are you anyway? Get out of here.

Fine, fine, I'll leave. But if you don't think anything I said sounded interesting, you can check out more about the game at some of these sites.

Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars: X-Wing site: Go here for rules, forums, and press release stuff.
The Board Game Geek and Boardgaming.com profiles explain themselves.
There are also lots of Youtube videos about it, like FFG's complete tutorial.

If you are in Southern California, we play the poo poo out of this at Game Empire Pasadena. Come try it out.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I had resisted the urge to buy the game until I saw the first set of expansion ships coming out.

A-Wing, Millennium Falcon, Slave 1, TIE Interceptor

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Gau posted:

This looks fun as hell, I am a sucker for starship combat games. How long does a basic-set dogfight take? What's the weirdest or most obtuse part of the rules?

A friend and I finished a two ship demo in about 15 minutes. Having 2-3 ships on each side can take it upwards of 45 minutes. If you are setting up a maps to play on and all that it takes longer, obviously, but I am a chump and play on blank table surfaces.

Being a dog fight, the real action happens up close an personal. That is also where all the oddities of movement happen, however. Many times in the demo with starter ships we ended up flying right past each other and not being able to target the other ships with attacks (you have to attack ships inside your front firing arc). Once you are playing full games (the standard is 100 points, 3-4 ships for each player) you will have enough ships on the table that there should be just enough chaos that there is always something to shoot at.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Yes, the ships are expensive. It seems like it matches up with most miniature games, though, where one plastic fig is easily $15 or more. The bigs ships coming out, the Falcon and Slave 1, will retail at $29.99 for the ship and tokens.

And yes, you will always wish you had one more die. It's infuriating.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Boo. This looks pretty rad but I remember reading in the board game thread that there are some real nagging issues.

My biggest problem right now is a lack of variety in ships, but that will soon be fixed. The only game play problem I really have is that once you start moving around in close proximity to other ships it becomes impossible to lay down those movement templates in any way flat/accurate.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Bionic posted:

Has anyone put together a good storage solution for the ships and components? I've got two starter sets, one of each expansion, and looking to get the second series ships when they are out. I'm thinking of getting a Plano 5231, but I'm not sure that it's the best way to keep the rules and cards all together.

This is not mine, but rather a pic someone was showing off when having this discussion on the FFG forum. It's the Plano 5231 that Bionic linked, and it looks pretty sweet. I am also worried that it won't do the trick with the new ships, but I image it could fit the cards. It can be consolidated more than it is. Alternately I am looking at the foams they sell at the local shop for ships, but it won't do anything for the rules/tokens/cards. :saddowns:

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 22, 2012

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

JerryLee posted:

This looks interesting, but I'm curious why the ion token appears to have a swastika on it. :crossarms:

Because Rebel Scum are that evil.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I have not! I have only heard people talk about it at length. I work at my FLGS and get lots of monologues about people's favorite games. I was interested in it for a long time but the only starter we had in stock was the Wings of Glory WWII starter, which has four planes for $80 (suck it, people complaining about the price!). Once X-wing came out, and people started talking about it, and playing it every day all the time, I was sold. That being said, it has been lauded for its similarities, and that is why I use Wings of War as the basic comparison in the opening paragraph.

edit: here is a picture of people playing at the store.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 24, 2012

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

A lot of folks around here geek about how awesome the Y's Ion Cannon is, so a lot of Rebel Lists are fielding two Y-Wings just for that attack. That being said, Vader is so much hard sex.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

omnibobb posted:

Ordered a second core set and all the expansions just now at the comic shop.

Groovy times to be had.

jivjov posted:

Core set arrived today, ran the simple-rules X-wing vs 2 TIEs game with a buddy of mine....immidiatley after the battle was done, we walked up to the comic shop and bought another X-Wing, a TIE, and a Y-Wing. This game is stupid amounts of fun, I love how simple it all is, but not at the expense of tactics.

Told you so.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Local players are a bit miffed because they think the game is weighted toward the Rebels. The claim is that the shields and R2 units favor them too much. A counter argument was given that the Empire players need to use more, cheaper ships to take advantage of swarm tactics, but the Rebels still win a lot more often. Has anyone come to the same / opposite conclusion? Tactical tips thus far?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Manifest posted:

Wait, that's my store.

What up.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Does anyone have ideas for forming a league around X-Wing? I want to get more folks together around this game on a semi-regular basis, but don't have any experience running organized long-term play.

(Also, Victor, for interested parties.)

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

So the next wave of ships has been pushed back to February and they are running a special tournament, the Kessel Run, as a way to give out some ships early. I've already requested one, and you should too. I want those ships, drat it. Deadline is Nov. 15th.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Attack: Attack 1 ship (even a ship outside your firing arc).

edit: got to it before I did!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Speaking of Wave 2, Game Empire Pasadena (CA) will be holding a Kessel Run event on Dec 15. If you're in the area, you should come on out.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

What lists are people running in tournaments?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

That's a mighty fine deal there on Amazon. I just picked up one each of the small expansions. The discount on the starter and dice sets isn't quite what I was hoping for though.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Manifest posted:

I REALLY wanted to go to my FLGS's kessel run event this weekend, but god damned Christmas is encroaching and holiday festivities are dragging me away from being an anti-social nerd.

WHO ARE YOU?!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

We are charging $10 and anything over what the kit costs us is going back into prize support. The kit's cost $60 +shipping, and the chances of that bringing in enough customers to make enough sales over regular sales is very unlikely, and we are big ol' store. I image it's worse of a prospect for smaller retailers. FFG took out the "you can't charge!" clause after a day or so (I know I complained to them about it, and I assume other retailers did too).

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Our Kessel in Pasadena is under way right now. 10 players showed up, split even Imperial/Rebel. 3 Rebel / 2 Imperial in the winners bracket after round one (they are in their second round matches now). Lots of Vaders, Wegdes, and Biggs. Empire vs Empire games are a clusterfuck to watch. We are running 75 min rounds and most people are hitting that mark within a couple minutes. I think that will speed up as people get more comfortable with their first competitive play experience.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Angryboot posted:

Well poo poo, I plopped down the cash and bought the core box. At least I don't have to paint these minis this time.

WerrWaaa, that pic you posted on p1's from games empire, right? I'm down the street from it.

Why yes, yes it is! It's a big deal around here.

Top four were 1 Imperial (4th) and 3 Rebel players. The top two played to time and the Imperial fleet won because they had more points on the board (both Ties opposing the Falcon). Lots of fun rules questions over the course of the tournament, and I had a lot of fun running it. Hope I did a good job. Walked away with two A-Wings myself, which is odd since almost all the top players were Rebel.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Backno posted:

So I have a question about what I should buy to get started. Is there any point to buy the individual X-wing and Tie Fighter or should I just buy a 2nd starter box?

As many have said, the individual ships come with pilot cards that are not in the base set. Most people end up buying both though, to get all the extra stuff that comes with the second base set.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

One local player hates the space combat rules from the RPG and is planning to sub in miniatures game rules in their place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I am a fan of everyone's participation in the thread so far. Is there any info from the discussion you all think should be added to the OP?

• Locked thread