Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's 26 here: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/Board%20Games/X-Wing+Core+Set/Acc-FFGXWing/#X-Wing%20Core%20Set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kettch should be a tie-fighter pilot, yeah. (I kinda hate that I know this) (alternatively there's already a Wedge Antilles card)

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 26, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd hope they make Headhunters at some point.

It sounds like this game is successful so I imagine we'll eventually see a ton of stuff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

jivjov posted:

Yeah but it wasn't cheap poo poo. He was able to field all named pilots, not a bunch of cheap Black Squadron pilots or something.

You have to play with a bunch of asteroids or the overwhelming amount of focus fire the imperials can put out with basically no effort breaks the game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fox of Stone posted:

So I looked at the easy points calculator site a few posts above and did I miss something? Is the Falcon already out? I check the Imperial side of the site and it doesn't list any new cards there.

It's not out-out but preview kits and info are online.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/882531/millennium-falcon-unboxing

pics: http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=250&p=1180#p1180

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 29, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

Yeah, I remember it being kind of unsatisfactory. Basically these guys would tool around in character mode until the fight at the end of the game came up, and there would be starfighter duels in X-Wing. I will give the rules a good hard eyeball and see if I can come up with anything.

If you just want to do starship duels between PCs/NPCs in the board game, it's made a lot easier by the fact that the only difference between pilots is their pilot skill and a special ability.

All you'd really need to do is convert their piloting stat from dice + pips to a 1-10 scale and come up with a special ability that fits their character if they're not a grunt NPC.

For regular dudes there are already cards for like academy tie pilots or rookies in X-Wings so that would be a pretty one-to-one thing, you just have to watch out not to put your PCs in a couple of fighters against like a swarm of TIEs, the game isn't balanced for that at all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SERPUS posted:

I pre-ordered 3 Falcons.

I fully expect to see a 3 YT-1300 and a Y-Wing rebel list at the LGS.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There's no reason to buy anything you aren't going to use if you aren't taking it upon yourself to provide minis for a group of people.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I kinda figure that when they get around to doing Prequel ships they'll launch a whole new core set for them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TIE-Interceptors seem preeeeetty good: http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=498&start=10#p3422

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tanon posted:

Wow, that thing is amazing. Focus, barrel roll, evade, and boost as base actions? Me likey.

Soontir Fel might be the named pilot I run now, his ability + elusiveness + all the green on the interceptor dial seems really good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Acinonyx posted:

The A-wing makes me think I may start playing Rebel lists! Sooo, nice! Our Kessel Run event is going to have a dozen people, so my odds aren't too good but we'll see.

What do you guys think of the shield and stealth upgrades? I'm not sure if it's a trap to get me to spend 41 points for a tricked out Tycho Celchu or if it will be worth the points. I look forward to seeing if he can take out three academy pilots.

I don't think I could sink half of a 100 point list into one ship, especially if my opponent is bringing 5+. In a really big point game, maybe?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Weissritter posted:

So you find bringing a 4th X-wing worth the loss of upgrades?

An extra set of guns is almost always worth the points, just due to things like action economy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think the new assault missiles that are coming out that do damage to every ship within 1 range might be a good counter for Howlrunner, but that doesn't mitigate cold dice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I use a Plano 5231 like everyone on boardgamegeek does, it's worked perfectly so far. Fits 2 core sets + 2 of every expansion with lots of room to grow, and they're 12 bucks.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1507040/reitoei?size=large

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5231-Double-Organizer/dp/B000HJ9514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357442948&sr=8-1&keywords=plano+5231

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Echoing everyone else when I say that you need to remind the rebel player that another ship (with its guns and sets of shields) is almost always better than some upgrades.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

Has anyone played much in the way of Imperial vs. Imperial or Rebel on Rebel scraps? How do those tend to work out?

Imperial v Imperial at high point levels draaaaaaags if both teams are doing the kinda standard 6-7 tie build list. There are so many ships to move and not enough space to move them in.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Imperials don't really get good until they're flooding the board with cheap ships.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Clone Wars era is the part of Star Wars that's actually popular with people under 30, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I expect prequel ships, objective packs, and repaints with new cards.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

zVxTeflon posted:

Im curious to see how people are gonna use the HWK. The stats really leave something to be desired.

The abilities make it look like it's mostly useful as a support ship in a really big game. At 100 points I need something that's good enough to blow up TIEs on its own rather than a ship that buffs others, especially as an active ability.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

krushgroove posted:

Are 100 pt games played on 3x3 tables?

In general, yeah. It's plenty of space once you get used to maneuvering.

Use lots of asteroids!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I would get another core and 2 each of the other small ships but I'm a lunatic and your list is great if you aren't all about running "tournament lists".

Actually I would recommend another core when you can swing it because running 3 x-wings at once is rad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The ID tokens have helped when we've played games with like 6 people playing, but that's such a corner case. I'm glad they included stuff to make it easy, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope so. I got preorders in this time so I wouldn't have to wait for restocks. I JUST got my Wave 2 ships because I didn't want to pay MSRP for them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TouchToneDialing posted:

I got this and ordered two huge two inch thick sheets of pluck foam from a random foam website. Im going to fill the bottom with pluck foam and it only cost $35ish.

Haha, I guess we read the same BGG thread because I bought one too. It's huge but perfect for me since I have 2 of all the large ships.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm probably going to end up with two boxes if they aren't too expensive. I want those cards and the red TIEs.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Triple-Kan posted:

I think we're much more likely to get a Rogue Squadron box.

I would love that if it had the pilots from the (in hindsight) terrible books that I loved in the 90's.

Edit: Corran Horn's card would be 100 points and make his stats all 9's

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 17, 2013

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I ended up getting shorted an HWK in my wave 3 order, but out of the wave that's the ship I least mind missing out on. If not for my completionist mindset, I probably wouldn't have bought one at all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

All I can really figure out about the shuttles right now is that they effectively cost 4 points more than the listed cost because they'll never turn around or stay close enough for Yorr/Jendon to use their abilities without an engine upgrade.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DonnyTrump posted:

I've got two core sets coming, this game looks really fun. Any opinions on the iOS dice app? Just wondering if it's worth it or if the real dice is better. Thanks!

With two core sets coming you'll have enough dice to not need to bother with the app.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cassa posted:

Oooh hadn't noticed the discard bit.

OK, so I use it, and roll 2 hits, nearby ships are still only hit once?

Yes, the card says "if the attack hits, each other ship at range one if the defender takes one damage."

It doesn't matter what you roll on the attack as long as it hits.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kilazar posted:

Thanks for the link.

Can anyone answer the second part of my question? If you take an evade action, and an Autoblaster attacks, can that evade token be used to negate a hit? Or can it only be used like the rolled evades, in knocking crit hits down to normal hits?

I did a lot of googling and it seems like FFG intended for you to be able to use evade tokens to cancel autoblaster hits but the wording is real ambiguous.

Fox of Stone posted:

So I found out a store only 30min from me does regionals and weekly tournaments ($3/5 buy-in and winner/2nd gets toys). They also host something called "OP events" that supposedly have prizes. What are those and what sorts of prizes are included? Promos? I really want a Jek Porkins and Lt. Kettch card someday. :3:

They're alternate art cards and sometimes acrylic tokens. FFG is pretty good about not including actual gameplay relevant things as prizes which keeps things more casual. Unlike wiz kids with Star Trek attack wing, but I digress.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 25, 2013

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Advanced sensors only come in lambda shuttles and are great for b-wings. Other than that... stealth devices?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Achmed Jones posted:

This isn't how evade works. Critical hits are canceled like normal hits: one evade icon cancels them. It's just that you have to cancel regular hits before you can cancel critical hits.

He was specifically asking about autoblaster, where the hits can't be cancelled by defense dice, and you have to cancel crits first.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The design seems to intend that evade results from defense dice and evade tokens are not the same thing (otherwise the cards would just say "hits cannot be cancelled"), but yeah they really need to FAQ it because arguments both ways make sense.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I dunno, I'm of the opinion that the extra set of guns and health another ship brings is generally better than upgrades, especially at that low point level. I mean, sure, Luke + R2-D2 is reasonably hard to kill, but not that hard when there are three TIEs shooting at just him.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

krushgroove posted:

This is the main thing that's jarring about X-Wing - it's impossible for me to get past seeing Rebel vs. Rebel fights and Empire vs. Empire fights. I know the setting is just the two sides (forgive me if there are more, I don't read the novels and such) and you can't get away from that, but it's just...weird to see.

They're training exercises!

I'd like them to add a pirate/smuggler faction or at least make them solid subthemes of the rebel/empire factions, but with the speed of releases I'd think we have wave 4 to go at least before that.

It would be cool if they just added a new faction via new pilot cards that let you fly, say, stolen TIEs with a YT-1300 and HWK or something, although that'd probably need a lot of new point costing and balancing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think for missiles to be great you have to have a way to have both focus and target lock at the same time or they're too luck dependent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Worlds finals were an 8-TIE swarm vs a 2 B-Wing/2 X-Wing list.

The Rebels won, with one B-Wing surviving.

• Locked thread