Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Having only played 1 game, and thought about it for quite a bit.. Is Wedge the 'best' X-wing pilot at the moment?

His ability to flat out decrease the agility of the one he is firing upon seems really good, not to mention his skill level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Yeah, in the EU he is probably the best pilot around.

There was a joke that he could not fail even when he tried.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Aha. There will be a Kessel Run event over here too. I intend to bring a X-wing list (I got a core set and 2 X-wing expansions).

However, from the lists I see floating about, almost no one seems to include Wedge in a 100-point list. Any reasons why? I have only played two or so games, and he seems like an excellent pilot to use.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Feeple posted:

I use:
Wedge w/ swarm tactics
Biggs
Rookie
Red Squad

Upgrade light? You bet. Bringing a boatload of attack dice? YES.

So you find bringing a 4th X-wing worth the loss of upgrades?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Looks like I should get a 3rd X-wing expansion to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The Gate posted:

Tycho with Push the Limit and Wedge with Expert Handling or Engine Upgrade sounds like a ton of points fun!

Rogue Squadron here we go!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

I am a fan of everyone's participation in the thread so far. Is there any info from the discussion you all think should be added to the OP?

Perhaps some 'standard' builds and a short explanation as to why they are popular to help new players along?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The new ships look really good for their point costs. I do wonder if there is some power creep here.

I have played only a few games, so I am not sure how good the B-wing and TIE bomber are compared to X-wings and TIE fighters. In theory, of course, as we do not know their maneuvering dials.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I have never used expert handling on my X-wings before. But I did get to try out the Imperials yesterday for the first time with a mixed list of Interceptor, Advanced and normal TIE fighters.

Barrel roll is awesome.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

According to the FFG website, at one point it was 2 B-wings against 6 TIEs. I am amazed he pulled off the win.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Ionization reactor is hilarious. Especially if there are rules with regards to collision with the corvette.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So close to be able to form a Starfighters of Adumar squad.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Going to be a special tournament this weekend at a local store - each player controls 1 fighter, up to 50 points. Still split into Imperials vs Rebels, 4 hour length, you chalk up points for kills, and can reenter from your team's edge after being killed.

Basically a massive furball.

If playing rebels, I was thinking Wedge as the base pilot, then upgrade towards 50 points. 3 attack dice with his ability means a easier time killing, since survivability does not seem as important. Though dying too easily means I will have to spend more time moving back into the engagement from respawn.

Any suggestions?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

On the suggestion of a B-wing, I played around with the squadron builder and got this:

Ten Numb (B-Wing) + Fire Control System + Autoblaster + Proton Torpedo x2 + Marksmanship for 49 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Shoeless posted:

If it's going to have a bunch of enemy ships, and you respawn after death, then... maybe Carnor Jax with Opportunist, Royal Guard, Stealth Device and one other modification depending on your tastes? Keep the enemy from getting Focus and Evade tokens with your ability, and Opportunist gives you an extra attack die, plus one more for being at Range 1. Stealth Device because you want to be hard to hit, and since you do get to rejoin after dying, it's not as much a worry that one shot will take it out, since once you die you come back with it again. And the fact that the ability effects all enemies at range 1 means that you'll get some goodwill from the other Imperial players.

Though this assumes you're okay playing Empire.

Probably not going Empire, due to friend going Rebel. But it is a good thing to see what the other side may come up with though.

Wonder will a Falcon be worth it - can soak some fire for the rest of the team, and maybe an upgrade or two.

• Locked thread