Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Red Robin Hood posted:

FantasyFlight have been putting out some really great games lately. Most notably X-Wing and this baby (that looks incredible!): http://youtu.be/6vB23NCXYxs

Lurking this thread, emerging to agree with this sentiment, I think I've only had fun playing a variety of FFG's efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In contrast KR Multicase is very friendly and supportive of the community. I highly recommend them.

Seconding how awesome KR are, I won one of their aluminium cases from the first iron gob painting thingy that Fix ran a few years back, use it regularly and it keeps my models snug. Doubly awesome if they're also doing custom cut foam for x-wing :)

To get back on track, how much fun are you going to have with just the base set? Is it going to need extras being bought to keep the 'fun' alive? and if so, what kind of $/£ outlay would you expect to pay out to get there?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Diplomaticus posted:

Enri: The base set is plenty fun on its own, since you can experiment around with different builds -- you're just going to be limited by not having enough ships and missing out on some of the more popular builds. So there's two ways you can go about it. Slowly build up your expansions as you need them and can fit them in, or pick a build from the beginning and build your way towards that as a goal.

If you want to build an team as cheaply as possible, play as Rebel and add in one X-wing and one Y-wing expansion. Rebel ships are more expensive and have more upgrade options (droids, missiles, etc.) that would allow you to fill up your 100 points faster. With the Imperials, unfortunately your upgrade options are more limited, and the ships are cheaper, meaning you need more of them (and thus, need to spend more money) to reach your 100 points.

On the other hand, $15 for expansions is actually really doable for most people.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. And thank you everyone else who commented too :) Shall seriously look into picking up the starter set and seeing if it's got legs at the local club

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Spork o Doom posted:

Sat in the UK these days and thought I'd try to pick up the base game set for this. Cannot find it anywhere at all. There's not an over abundance of real stores even living near London and the online retailers I would normally try are out across the board of everything except expansions.

Was it a limited print run or something or should I expect stock to reappear shortly? Or alternatively can someone point me somewhere reliable where I won't need to mortgage my second kidney to afford it?

Was about to recommend my LGS as I was sure they had a couple (and they do have an online store)... but I just checked said online store and their stock level reads a big fat 0 :(

Boo.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Everyone finally seems to be re-stocking the starter set (along with wave 2 I guess), just ordered my copy now :) Only bothered with the starter set for the time being, too tight to start coughing up for expansions without getting a feel for which side I want to play the most.. and definitely too tight to pad out both sides :)

Woo! Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it and make lots of stupid star wars references.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Devlan Mud posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to the thing at the FGG Event Center in May to do Regionals of this and the Stat Wars LCG. Anyone else signed up yet?

I came to post about this, our LGS is hosting regionals for X-wing, I've only just picked up the drat game but already I'm contemplating a 100 point list to take along (assuming it's going to be around that points value)

This of course does mean I'm going to have to get lots of games in for practice :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Got my first few games of x-wing in using just the starter set tonight, cracking fun game, looking forward to playing more of it and roping my brother and sister in law into playing.

Great little rules system too, very straight forward and I don't think there were any rules queries that came up (we played Luke with the R2 unit that gives you +1 agility versus Mithel Mauler and Black Squadron Pilot, so nothing too intense rules wise with that set up)

Looking forward to picking up a few more ships and playing some others at the local club.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I would also be happy to see them adapt this into a capital-ship level game. Create cap ship models the same size as the current fighters, then use fighter figurines to represent squadrons. Something like what's being done with Sails of Glory, which shares a common ancestor with X-Wing, but with pew pew lasers.

Chomp8645 posted:

This is loving brilliant. People have been talking about adding capital ships but the major objections have been the inevitable shenanigans that trying to balance them point wise would bring and the fact that since all the ships are to scale even something like a Corellian Corvette would be enormous.

But just making a new scale for capital ships and having the current fighters represent squadrons is an easy, elegant solution that makes absolute sense. How the gently caress did we not think of that before?

Pretty sure this is how Games Workshop handled the ships in BFG, to say that the ships aren't at any particular scale and the model represents a ship the size of a pin head on your table top. It's an abstraction but a happy abstraction :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

So.. having gotten into this game quite late.. I have to ask, is demand so high that FFG really can't keep up with demand? It's only been a matter of weeks since the 2nd wave hit right? All my LGS has in stock is 2 millennium falcons and 1 slave-1, everything else flew off the shelves apparently. The store owner reckoned June was when re-stocks would occur.

Has anyone seen any official word on why this is at all?

Going to be stuck playing the core set for a while if there's no re-stocks for a while (LGS owner said a pretty effective list was 2 millennium falcons, 1 x-wing but that just doesn't tickle me in the same way multiple a-wings and x-wings does)

The lack of availability of expansion packs just makes me not want to play the drat thing :(

enri fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 1, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Bosushi! posted:

Unless you're incredibly die hard about your FLGS getting your money, you could try Barnes and Noble for Wave 1 stuff.

Not so much my LGS, but I'd rather give me cash to a games store than a book store.. it was more that I was just chewing the fat with the store owner whilst I was there last night. Plus I'm in the UK, don't think we even have Barnes & Noble here. At best some people said Waterstones (one of our popular high street book stores) has the core set in stock but finding out whether they have more than that or not involves trecking up to the shops at the weekend which my hectic weekends don't usually allow for, which kinda sucks :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4075

:what:

quote:

Upgrade your X-Wing™ play area! Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the upcoming release of the Starfield Game Tile Kit.

The X-Wing Starfield Game Tile Kit introduces twelve thick tiles that allow you to wage your X-Wing space battles above such iconic Star Wars features as Alderaan and the Death Star. Each of these sturdy tiles consists of matte-finished card stock mounted on 2.5mm fiber board and measures one square foot. Starfield tiles are all double-sided, and permit a wide range of possible configurations to create immersive settings as you fight for the fate of a galaxy far, far away....

enri
Dec 16, 2003

pbpancho posted:

Anyone else flying two big ships much?

I know the guy who runs our LGS is a big proponent of 'two big ships' - I think his mix was an x-wing and two YT-1300s, not sure how that works out points wise and/or whether or not it leaves much room for upgrades though.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the actual question the guy posted :3: as far as I'm aware/remember, focus allows you to change one eye result, not all eye results..

.. but seeing as I've played this game only a handful of times and I'm too lazy to go check, I might be wrong :v:

Wonder how many years it'll be before we see some restocks of the previous waves, I don't fancy playing with stock ships anymore :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The Gate posted:

Focus changes all eyes.

:aaa:

Ok, been playing that wrong then.. pretty sure we read it as focus can change one focus result only. Might have to sanity check where on earth we thought that was the case.

Manifest posted:

Y-Wings were in the first wave, I still see them everywhere.

Restocks on wave 2 went out this week as all my local game shops got them.

Excelllent... will harass LGS guy for interceptors :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I've just had a quick flick through the rules, I think I may be getting muddled up with the evade action.. and thinking back, we have been playing it right.

facepalm moment, ignore my confused state, old gamer syndrome kicking in.. forgetting rules etc. ;)

edit: woohoo, LGS has just posted on facebook, wave 2 re-stock is in :iamafag: come to me interceptors, come to daddy...

enri fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 19, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Wow, amazed they picked the dark forces ship.. Makes my inner nerd very happy. The shuttle though? Hell yes.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Yawgmoft posted:

I was thinking about this today and, as terrible as the prequels are in general, I actually like a lot of the ships in them. Especially those proto x wings in three. I wouldn't mind having those, or Darth Maul's ship.

All but the droid ships, they're laughably crap.. I kinda like the jedi starfighters but then they look comparable to an a-wing so nothing new or exciting there :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

Do most people only buy one side?

I would concentrate on one side but most of my regular gaming buddies are slow to splash cash on it so I'm left buying both sides to keep it interesting

enri
Dec 16, 2003

from the pics we've seen, the corvette looks to be pretty much to scale compared to the x-wing, from a 'eyeballing it' kinda perspective. The corvette's aren't huge by any stretch.

ninja edit: ok, wookieepedia has the corvette's at 150m in length, in comparison the x-wing is 12.5m in length.. so the corvette should be 12 times the length of the x-wing to be at the right scale. The model x-wing... is... I'm too lazy to go fish out my box to check. Let's say an inch and a half in length right? As a guestimate.. so the corvette, to be to scale, would be 18" long - not stupid stupid big but yea, big all the same.

alg posted:

Not very happy about the large ships being introduced when there are so many starfighters left to add. I hope they are just for mission variants.

Like what? They've got pretty much the rest of the original trilogy covered with the next batch of releases, the only ground they could start to cover now would be prequel trilogy unless you start delving into the extended universe lark.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

jivjov posted:

They've already gone to the Expanded Universe, one of the wave 3 ships is Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow.

I realised that as I was typing, couldn't be arsed to add the disclaimer :P that's no guarantee that there will be more from the EU though, guess we'll find out in time whether they go down that route or not

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

..and I hope to get another X-wing and TIE fighter soon to expand my set...

You may have realised this already, but the best thing to do here is buy a 2nd starter set :) you double your ships, double your dice and the only thing you're really missing out on is the additional cards the individual x-wing / tie fighter sets give you (which for friendly games, the info is available out there, hopefully no one will quibble with you printing out the details rather owning the cards)

I'm still trying to whip up some of the local guys into playing, I just have the starter set at the mo but was briefly contemplating the slave-1 ship earlier today randomly :/

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

My plan is to build up an Empire fleet but also get enough Rebel ships so I can play our other gaming friends with just my set.

This is my dilemma, I want to concentrate on imperials but until one of my gaming buddies forks out for their own ships, I'm stuck trying to buy for both sides at the same time :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Not sure I'm keen on the red interceptors, but naturally I'd want the cards.. there has to be someone out there with two plain interceptors who'd swap models, right? :)

Any word on release dates? Couldn't see a date at a glance.

Also, in related news, I picked up an 8' x 4' board over the weekend, with the intention of making a spazzy nice Malifaux board and using the leftovers to make boards for some other games, including X-wing! Anyone got any decent guides to painting starfields on big boards? I don't want anything ludicrously over the top, just something subtle enough that we're not playing on a flat black surface.

Actually now I think about it, flat black is probably the best way forward :/

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I know of one place in the UK that has a handful of TIE Advanced left, as of last week at least. Finally got around to ordering one last night so waiting on that coming in. My LGS has some Y-wings left in stock too.

Hardest thing to find is A-wings and interceptors :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Excuse the double post but..

enri posted:

I know of one place in the UK that has a handful of TIE Advanced left, as of last week at least. Finally got around to ordering one last night so waiting on that coming in. My LGS has some Y-wings left in stock too.

Hardest thing to find is A-wings and interceptors :(

..just got an email to let me know the TIE Advanced is out of stock, but I could exchange my order and they've still got... A-wings! *exchanges*

Shows how much I know :v:

enri fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 20, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Has anyone made a spreadsheet/calculator of sorts where you can put your collection of ships in and it'll tot up what upgrade cards you have and the quantities?

Might have a Saturday evening project to work on if not.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Poopy Palpy posted:

Some day the collection feature on voidstate's squad builder will save your collection instead of his and effectively do that.

Epi Lepi posted:

I think someone on the FFG forums made one but I can't find a link at the moment.

Ah excellent, just found a spreadsheet version, that'll do the trick :)

Ta

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Kilazar posted:

Can someone provide a bit more detail on this? I can't hit FFG due to firewall at work. I'm guessing from the banter following it there is a new core set of some kind coming out with tie fighters?

Here ya go..

quote:

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the Imperial Aces Expansion Pack for X-Wing™!

Imperial Aces features two TIE interceptor miniatures with alternate paint schemes, several highly skilled new pilots, a dozen upgrade cards, and all the tokens and maneuver dials you need to field these ships. It also includes a new mission that allows the Empire to utilize new, experimental technology in a high-intensity clash with Rebel pilots.

It's basically two custom painted interceptors in a box with some custom cards. No extra / new core set, just two ships in one box.

and here's a pic for you :v:

edit: for what it's worth, if I pick this up, I'll be looking to swap the painted interceptors with someone who wants to swap plain interceptors :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Pilgrimski posted:

It's a java thing I think, so update that?

Nah it's javascript based which is an entirely different beast to java. If it was java based, we'd have a hell of a lot more headaches with it and one of our biggest gripes would be that it's slow and clunky as hell :v:

jivjov posted:

Is there some secret to making this website work? I get lots of infinite loading circles, "User does not exist" errors, and can't seem to actually manage my collection.

The only advice I can give is with the upgrades not loading (loading circles) - seems to be a caching issue, whatever browser you're using, open up it's equivalent of private browsing / incognito mode / etc. and then go to the site and try again. Upgrades etc seem to load ok at that point.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Pilgrimski posted:

Learning new things every day :tipshat:

:)

Pilgrimski posted:

I'll wash the model too, so the end result should be a bit darker. What do you guys think?

Looks good, did you do the test model with an airbrush / aerosol sprays and masking them off? or painting by hand? My only quibble would be like PJOmega said, I thought you were pointing the other way :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JackMack posted:

Quick question about critical hits after first outing this afternoon.

With the weapon malfunction card it is phrased thus:

Ship

Reduce your primary weapon value by 1 to a minimum of 0

Action: roll 1 attack die, on a hit/critical hit flip this card facedown

I am unsure how to interpret this. Is the action part implying I should roll a red dice and ignore the effect of the card if it is a hit. Do I do this straight away or in the action phase at the end of movement?

The latter, you can choose it as an action to perform in the next action phase if you want to. If you roll a hit/critical, then you can flip the card face down and effectively remove the reduction to your primary weapon value but you still count the damage.

ninja edit: oh hello new page, didn't see those two replies.. but yea, they said it too ^^^

enri
Dec 16, 2003

One of my regular gaming buddies finally took the plunge and got the starter set for Christmas, finally I don't have to keep buying ships for both factions and can concentrate on imperials, yay :dance:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

jivjov posted:

Unfortunate? Why is "new options" unfortunate? I'm really excited for the new ships and cards.

I'm going to guess that it's because it's another thing to buy to have a full set of x-wing pilots to pick from :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

drat, I've got a wonky'ish TIE, might give that a try.. it's not a massive issue, just bugs me a bit.

Had a game last night, I played imperials vs my friends rebels. 100 points on the nose, ended up taking the best part of 3 hours (the first kill was recorded somewhere around the 2 hour mark)

I don't know if it took so long due to some hilariously bad dice attack dice and some fortuitous defence dice or what but 3 hours felt like a long time to play 100 points. How long do your average games last at 100 points?

My TIE fighers have never felt so robust.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The Gate posted:

An hour seems more normal for my local group. 90 minutes if there's a lot of ships maybe. Three hours is pretty dang long.

That's what I thought would be the case, we had some seriously jammy dice rolling so I suspect that's the main cause. Millennium Falcon finally went down around the 2 and a half hour mark after spending most of the game colliding with TIE fighters, if it hadn't have flown into so many other ships, it might have been able to get a focus token or two which would have helped its chances in taking down TIE fighters and the like... which would have sped up the game no end :)

A good game all the same, so I can't complain too much :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

pbpancho posted:

I usually play with a 70min time limit since that's what is used in a tournament. Yesterday I played two games simultaneously against different opponents in about 60 minutes. 3hrs is insane, how big was your play area?

3' x 3' :)

A time limit might be a good idea to suggest for next time just to avoid the inevitable stale mate at the end, I'll speak to my regular opponent and see what he thinks (in all honesty, it would suit our Sunday evenings perfectly; I got home at 11:30pm last night.. not something I'd planned on and suffered for it today :))

enri
Dec 16, 2003

pbpancho posted:

I'm curious, what were the squads? I just can't see how it could go so long, unless you guys were just running from eachother whenever possible.

My list was...

2 x Academy pilot
1 x Maarek Stele w/ Squadron Leader, Cluster Missiles
1 x Krassis Trelix w/ Ion Cannon, Cluster Missiles

Opponents list was, roughly...

1 x Rookie pilot
1 x Arvel Crynyd w/ Cluster Missiles
1 x Chewbacca w/ Millennium Falcon, Cluster Missiles, some other bits and pieces

His list was bang on 100 though, as was mine.

The falcon spent a lot of time crashing into TIE fighters, which stopped it getting focus tokens and whatnot, so his shooting was hampered by that. The A-wing made some silly moves down the side of the board and had my Firespray chasing it for half the game. The X-wing didn't seem to do much until very late on in the game when it took down a TIE fighter and the TIE Advanced.

I was gunning for him the whole time, I think the dice were just being very generous to both of us :) (i.e. one attack on a near crippled TIE fighter, he rolls 1 hit and 2 criticals, I roll 3 focus in defence, I took the focus action previously so just negated that whole lot.. next one.. rinse and repeat, I've never seen so many evade results on those dice)

We didn't use any asteroids at all either as this was only my opponents 2nd or 3rd game, we'll throw them in next time (I have some modelling ideas for those that I want to get done as soon as I can)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Wow, so they went down the EU route? I figured seperatist / clone troopers would have been the easier cash in, the guy I've been playing with isn't interested in EU ships so he's going to love hate these (won't touch the HWK-290 because he never played dark forces and it hasn't got any nostalgia appeal for him!)

Me? I'm all over the Z-95 and the TIE Defender, those two ring bells but the other two are mostly forgettable.. and that E-wing is ugly

Hopefully one day the new releases will mean people might start to leave TIE interceptors on the shelves and I can finally pick a couple up whilst they're in stock :v: (that aren't slathered in red paint.. eurgh)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

alg posted:

how can you stand being around people like this

I can understand where he's coming from :)

Siivola posted:

The Z95 Headhunter was featured in The Clone Wars!

Didn't realise that but then I've not really followed clone wars religiously, one day I'll get round to watching them all :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Stumiester posted:

Played my first game of this today, really fun! It was 3 vs 2, with the 3 controlling imperials.

It was [Milennium Falcon w/Han Solo and Milennium Falcon card, plus 2 X-wings, one Luke with R2D2, one a generic] vs [Tie interceptor and 5 tie fighters, all but one had named pilots and I think the interceptor had an attachment maybe?] for 100pts each. 3 of the players (2 on imp, me on rebel) were brand new.

Short story, the imperials got decimated. At the end they had one wounded fighter out of the 6 they started with. The falcon/generic x-wing had lost their shields, but no rebel ship had received any hull damage.

I controlled the Milennium Falcon, and to be honest it seemed pretty ridiculously good, almost too good. However, I'm assuming this is 1st game discrepancy. I assume: because we were controlling fewer ships between fewer people we were able to strategise more easily, and the new imperial players didn't know how to manoeuvre into position properly whereas I had it easy with the falcon's 360 cannon. Is this a fair assumption, or is the falcon just extremely good?

I played my first game vs the falcon the other day, the details of that are posted above but I found it less menacing than it had been made out to be. It was the first rebel ship taken out of action, but that might be because I got a bad case of 'take the big guy down' and concentrated on it as much as I could.

• Locked thread