Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, I'm all charged up! Cuz I'm!

I'm

I'm...

I'm!!

I'm

I'm I'm

I'M

A

MONSTER TRUCK

Badass tell us more lil dude. Vroom vroom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone have experience getting their kid to wear underwear for the first time? My son is 34 months, potty training since December. He's doing great with it but just will not put on undies. We've tried getting bigger sizes so they aren't as tight, we've tried boxer briefs, he just won't do it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Does he need to wear underwear?
My kid barely ever wore undies from ages 3 until like .. 9. Then he decided he would again.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ah I guess that's a fair point, hadn't really considered that as an option haha.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fell into the contact sleep for the past 6 months trap and now I can’t get my kid to sleep in the crib without absolutely losing his mind.

I don’t even care that he sleeps with us it’s just that he’s decided now 18 months in that he wants to learn how to crawl and move around so we can’t sleep without fear of him falling off the bed. Absolutely wonderful.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 14, 2024

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Went to a kids birthday party today at lunchtime. Despite us repeatedly pointing out the pizza, kid was more interested in playing than eating anything but cake. When we got home he was big mad about us not having pizza at home but we finally got him to eat some toast and jam.

He then didn't nap any during quiet time, instead he built a hot wheels track and pushed random things that were in the way of his Hot Wheels Vision out of his room. Constantly asking for poo poo whenever I get anywhere near the Introvert Recovery Zone.

The entire afternoon was really loving hard. Constantly asking why we don't have or why his friend did have random toy that he was playing with at the party. Doing the "look smug, stare at you while doing the opposite of what he knows he should do" thing constantly. Started whining about the food being done before I even closed the drat oven.

drat I'm tired. Here's hoping for a chill Sunday

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Fell into the contact sleep for the past 6 months trap and now I can’t get my kid to sleep in the crib without absolutely losing his mind.

I don’t even care that he sleeps with us it’s just that he’s decided now 18 months in that he wants to learn how to crawl and move around so we can’t sleep without fear of him falling off the bed. Absolutely wonderful.

We ended up putting our mattress on the floor for a while. Solved the falling issue, introduced the "where the gently caress has she gone?" Wakeup panic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sibling in law having their x anniversary. Babysitting their 2 and 5yo two nights in a row

Saturday was eventful, went to the air and space museum. I don't think I saw a kid over 8yo there. Lots of ambitious parents

Anyways, my three.5 year old is having massive melt downs going to bed, whereas the 2yo is just "let me loving sleep" and the 5yo is like, "sure ok, but can I have a second glass of water?"

When does the bedtime meltdown end

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shifty Pony posted:

Went to a kids birthday party today at lunchtime. Despite us repeatedly pointing out the pizza, kid was more interested in playing than eating anything but cake. When we got home he was big mad about us not having pizza at home but we finally got him to eat some toast and jam.

He then didn't nap any during quiet time, instead he built a hot wheels track and pushed random things that were in the way of his Hot Wheels Vision out of his room. Constantly asking for poo poo whenever I get anywhere near the Introvert Recovery Zone.

The entire afternoon was really loving hard. Constantly asking why we don't have or why his friend did have random toy that he was playing with at the party. Doing the "look smug, stare at you while doing the opposite of what he knows he should do" thing constantly. Started whining about the food being done before I even closed the drat oven.

drat I'm tired. Here's hoping for a chill Sunday

Kids birthday parties have generally been ok but also the source of some of the biggest meltdowns our kid has ever had in her life. Some days just be like that

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Little Ms 2 has been fighting a garden-variety daycare cough and cold the last couple weeks; the runny nose got worse on Friday, so we took her by the pediatric clinic on Saturday morning to check and see. Still just fighting the cold, re-up medicine*, call it good.

Have a family event Sunday. Sing along if you know the words: a cold extended to a fever on Sunday morning. I had to take her to the other clinic open Sundays, check and see if it’s an ear infection, and try to calm the fever down as well.

We’ve had a good run of not having daycare crap kick her toddler butt, not great timing for it to come back.

*over here there isn’t much in effective drugs for real little ones OTC, so even fever stuff you generally get on a script. At least the doctor and script both are free.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

carrionman posted:

We ended up putting our mattress on the floor for a while. Solved the falling issue, introduced the "where the gently caress has she gone?" Wakeup panic.

The middle of the night "donk".

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The baby has started crying when people take things out of her hands.

The toddler has entered her "mine!" phase.

:shepface:

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

space uncle posted:

My 3 year old just wore underpants to school for two days straight with only 1 accident, and then today he pooped in the potty for the first time. Red letter day.

Congrats, little one!

One thing I've just realised I don't actually know if: do all babies make the same noises? I've always assumed they do. The only babies I have been around in decades are mine and a friend's. My friend's little one didn't really make any noises at all when we were with them but ours is constantly sounding off. He specializes in "awoo"s like some kind of tiny wolf. I was cuddling with him this evening and he gave a proper rise and fall, "AwooOOoo." I just about melted.

Calexio fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 14, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I think all babies make the same nighttime noises. No one tells you it's gonna sound like Jurassic fuckin' Park up in there, with all the snorting and grunting.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

And the occasional sound like someone reached the end of a squeeze bottle of ketchup.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Chillmatic posted:

I think all babies make the same nighttime noises. No one tells you it's gonna sound like Jurassic fuckin' Park up in there, with all the snorting and grunting.

Thankfully ours is just about out of that phase. Between my wife being a light sleeper and postpartum brains, she went several nights without sleeping until I just took the baby into a different bedroom and did entire nights myself. She'd wake up for every single tiny little noise, meanwhile I just don't give a poo poo and am a heavy sleeper.

Also I just walked into a family meltdown moment when I took a break from work. They watched the newest Bluey episode and everyone was crying big ugly baby tears. All except the baby who had poop so he was quite happy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Calexio posted:

Congrats, little one!

One thing I've just realised I don't actually know if: do all babies make the same noises? I've always assumed they do. The only babies I have been around in decades are mine and a friend's. My friend's little one didn't really make any noises at all when we were with them but ours is constantly sounding off. He specializes in "awoo"s like some kind of tiny wolf. I was cuddling with him this evening and he gave a proper rise and fall, "AwooOOoo." I just about melted.

Idk, we’ve only got one but my guess is they’re a little unique. My boy definitely sounds much different from other kids his age.

Our son was a big growler too, just like constant super deep growling and barely any shrieks. I think that’s a little different from other kids.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Mine made static noises for a little bit. It was like she was tuning her vocal cords.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Calexio posted:

Congrats, little one!

I love my 2-week-old’s sleepy noises. He suddenly made the same kind of noise in his sleep the other day, a big WOOOO followed by … eh. It makes me wonder what they’re thinking about.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Me, a month ago: I'm so excited, the baby is finding his voice!

Baby, now: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...a...AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our 1yo at home: constant varied babbling, little laughs and squeals, one-word responses to questions and objects.

Our 1yo at a restaurant: AAAAAAAAAAÄÃAAAAAAAAAÂAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAÅAAAAAAAAAAAAAÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Renegret posted:

Me, a month ago: I'm so excited, the baby is finding his voice!

Baby, now: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...a...AHHHHHHHHHHHH

ha this here as well, especially at 5am

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Oof, three year old fell off the arm chair and somehow sliced open his palm on a cardboard box while falling down. Kid was a great sport waiting in the ER and getting his stitches in, but just kept his meltdown until we were cleared to leave when he decided he wanted to stay in the hospital bed. Cried carrying him back to the car, cried the whole way home, then was crying and screaming, trying to take his bandage off until finally passing out on our bedroom floor after midnight.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I gotta stop letting baby gout keep his toy cars on him at the park because those things are now going straight into the stream running through it where I can't get them back

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

kazz posted:

I love my 2-week-old’s sleepy noises. He suddenly made the same kind of noise in his sleep the other day, a big WOOOO followed by … eh. It makes me wonder what they’re thinking about.

It is the most adorable little sound. It has just occurred to me that babies'll have - I assume - a more limited range of noises available to them, what with the lack of teeth and all.

Anyone have any advice on how to ease a clingy baby? Our little one is attached like velcro to mom at the moment after his hospital stay. If I take him, there's like a good 85% chance he will almost immediately start wailing. Which isn't exactly fun for me and really limits our ability to give Mrs C as much of a break as she used to get.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My 5 year old during Easter: Why didn't the Easter bunny hide the eggs? They're all just laying around!

Also my 5 year old yesterday: DADDY I FOUND 3 MORE EGGS

(editor's note: I know the location of at least 2 more but no way I'm telling you)

Yeah motherfucker I know. And nobody tell mommy about the egg hidden in the vase on the mantle, I want to see how many months it takes for someone to find that one. It legit might be until Christmas, and only because she'll take it down to switch in the Christmas decorations.

GoutPatrol posted:

I gotta stop letting baby gout keep his toy cars on him at the park because those things are now going straight into the stream running through it where I can't get them back

Oh god when my kid was 3 he once buried his favorite car in the snow in a relative's backyard. It took two adults over a half hour to find it and he cried the whole time. When we got home I ordered 2 copies of the same car to keep on deck in case something ever happened to it again. In true 3 year old fashion, it was no longer his favorite car shortly afterwards.

for anyone wondering, it was a golden Lightening McQueen, canonically known as "yellow car car"

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 15, 2024

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Calexio posted:

It is the most adorable little sound. It has just occurred to me that babies'll have - I assume - a more limited range of noises available to them, what with the lack of teeth and all.

Anyone have any advice on how to ease a clingy baby? Our little one is attached like velcro to mom at the moment after his hospital stay. If I take him, there's like a good 85% chance he will almost immediately start wailing. Which isn't exactly fun for me and really limits our ability to give Mrs C as much of a break as she used to get.

Maybe try wearing a shirt that smells like mom when holding him?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
After you take him, can you soothe him and get him to stop wailing eventually through 5S stuff?

edit: my limited parenting experience thus far indicates that like, 75% of parenting success is the ability to just kind of grind through the kid being upset until they stop being upset.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Oh god when my kid was 3 he once buried his favorite car in the snow in a relative's backyard. It took two adults over a half hour to find it and he cried the whole time. When we got home I ordered 2 copies of the same car to keep on deck in case something ever happened to it again. In true 3 year old fashion, it was no longer his favorite car shortly afterwards.

We had a backup stuffed animal for my first's favorite for exactly this reason.

The daycare lost the first one, and we miraculously "found it" at home so she could have it to sleep with. A week later the daycare finds it and rather than contacting us, they just give it to her and then she had two, and couldn't sleep without both foxy and foxy's twin sister.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Help, I can’t navigate social situations. My husband’s boss invited us to his kid’s birthday party. He said not to bring a gift. Do I really not bring a gift?? Seems wrong.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

remigious posted:

Help, I can’t navigate social situations. My husband’s boss invited us to his kid’s birthday party. He said not to bring a gift. Do I really not bring a gift?? Seems wrong.

If they say no gift I’m not bringing a gift. I’d be annoyed if someone filled my house with yet more kid crap I didn’t want in the first place

Bring a card if you want, but depending on age this is basically just garbage can fodder anyway

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Sweeper posted:

If they say no gift I’m not bringing a gift. I’d be annoyed if someone filled my house with yet more kid crap I didn’t want in the first place

Bring a card if you want, but depending on age this is basically just garbage can fodder anyway

Makes sense, thank you!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

remigious posted:

Help, I can’t navigate social situations.

Same.

....I have no help for you. Just, same.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

remigious posted:

This isn't 4D chess. Don't bring a gift.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: my limited parenting experience thus far indicates that like, 75% of parenting success is the ability to just kind of grind through the kid being upset until they stop being upset.

Pretty accurate

The other 25% is keeping a consistent nap schedule so you don't have to do the first part so much

Mine is coming up on 3.5 and now she just wails any time there's a state change in her environment which varies from turning on/off the lights, turning on/off the TV, or adding/removing cheese from her pasta (at her request! :arghfist::psyduck:)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

remigious posted:

Bring a card. No gift.

Gifts have to be stored somewhere, and they probably have too many toys in the house already anyways. And one kid will inevitably have a meltdown with something involving the toys

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

After you take him, can you soothe him and get him to stop wailing eventually through 5S stuff?

75% of parenting advice is also derived from the last thing you tried that finally calmed them down when in reality it was just the amount of time spent soothing them however you could

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Honestly if you're that worried about the no gift thing, just bring a card, don't seal it, and put a Nintendo or Amazon gift card in your pocket. If you need it you just slip it in before you seal, and if you don't, go home and buy the Bluey game or something.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Qwijib0 posted:

The daycare lost the first one, and we miraculously "found it" at home so she could have it to sleep with. A week later the daycare finds it and rather than contacting us, they just give it to her and then she had two, and couldn't sleep without both foxy and foxy's twin sister.

My kid's friend has THREE identical bunnies, all with the same name. Two were lost, two spares were deployed, then both were found. Of course, all three go with him everywhere.

Best advice I can give new parents: At daycare naps, there is only the Daycare Plush which you got on your first day at daycare. It has your name on it, but it does not come home with you, ever. Well, maybe after you stop napping. The Home Plush goes with you on travel but by not taking it to daycare, you've eliminated 99% of all opportunities for losing it.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Qwijib0 posted:

100% what happened with our oldest. Except we had two in reserve.