Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We’ve been going to Hawaii to visit my husband’s family since my daughter was 18 months. She’s 4 now. We just got back today from a trip there.

I think we're going to try and fly this year at least once in the 1.5-3 hour range to do a trial run of the airport stuff for taking the 2 year old transcontinental (I live in Japan, and family is now in both Europe and back home in the U.S., it's not just for jollies). I don't think I'll be able to wrangle even a week visit back to the U.S. where my wife stays here with the little one solo, so doing that as a family trip is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
We did a ~5-6 hour daytime return trip with the 3 and 5 yo, and yeah, forbidden screen time and a constant stream of snacks kept them chill.

Doing a multi-leg trip this summer, including an overnight transatlantic flight and a bunch of timezone changes. Pray for me.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m taking my 3.5 year old on flight from one coast to the other, is an overnight flight a good idea? We’ve flown with him before for about 3 hours and he hates it :(

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Seconding snacks, activities (reusable Melissa and Doug stickers, drawing supplies and/or one of those erasable “tablets”), and basically unlimited screen time with some nice extra-cushioned headphones for the plane noise. We fly at least once a year to Europe, usually one or two more shorter flights a year as well. The longest flights are about 7-8 hrs and that usually means she’ll sleep at some point l, but it’s not guaranteed. The first trip (she was 2) she was awake for basically the entire time, one short 30 minute nap during the layover in Amsterdam.

To that last point: gently caress American airports. The furnishing is so adversarial. In Schiphol/Amsterdam they have some quiet, family -friendly sections and seating meant to be used as beds / for resting, tucked away from the main thoroughfares, unlike the noisy open plans and the scourge of “hand rests” in the US airports. And also there is a giant kids playground on the upper level of the terminal, in the food court, giving parents a break. If you have to do a layover in Europe with kids, I strongly recommend AMS over Frankfurt or Paris.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Oh yeah! Headphones! Untangled Pro headphones for kids are great. They’re Bluetooth to use with a tablet or phone.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

remigious posted:

I’m taking my 3.5 year old on flight from one coast to the other, is an overnight flight a good idea? We’ve flown with him before for about 3 hours and he hates it :(

Hmmmm
Do you think he would actually sleep, or would he be pissed and awake? Because if he wouldn't sleep, I'd do something other then overnight.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Maybe? I’ve done it, including with a 23mo lap toddler who just passed out on top of me the whole time in the 6 hour red eye. Just assume you won’t get enough proper sleep and you’ll be a basket case the next day so plan to just… chill by the pool or whatever.

Just plan to try out whatever your bedtime routine is (stuffy, story, drink, etc) and act like it’s normal and calm and your kid might follow your lead? It could always go totally sideways but that’s life with kids.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Speaking of travel, I just installed Disney Plus on my son’s Amazon tablet and downloaded a bunch of episodes for a long drive tomorrow. I can watch the episodes when I navigate to them and turn the wifi off, but my Downloads list isn’t showing any downloads. Anyone else had this issue?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

:frogsiren:we have pee in the potty:frogsiren:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

the absolutely best thing I brought for my toddler on our Japan flight was a roll of painter's tape. Just stick pieces of it to walls, the toddler, yourself and your toddler will want to pull it off. Rinse/repeat for an hour. The roll itself is also fun to play with.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The first rule of airplanes and toddlers is "they can do anything, eat anything, watch anything, so long as they are quiet"

You can sort out the consequences of giving them too much freedom after you land. In my experience "the airplane is special" is an ironclad, unquestionable argument :colbert:

Silent Linguist posted:

Speaking of travel, I just installed Disney Plus on my son’s Amazon tablet and downloaded a bunch of episodes for a long drive tomorrow. I can watch the episodes when I navigate to them and turn the wifi off, but my Downloads list isn’t showing any downloads. Anyone else had this issue?

Yeah Disney Plus gave me some grief the other day. My solution was to turn on the iPad, turn on Disney+, then tether the iPad to my phone before takeoff, then navigate to the downloads page. Then start the movie before takeoff

I'd forgotten about this until just now. Yeah before this, Disney+ on iPad was effortless

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

“Sir, care to explain to us why you have a ski mask, tape, gloves, and rope in your carry on?”

“I have to entertain this 3 year old for hours.”

“Ah very good then, please proceed.”

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hadlock posted:

Yeah Disney Plus gave me some grief the other day. My solution was to turn on the iPad, turn on Disney+, then tether the iPad to my phone before takeoff, then navigate to the downloads page. Then start the movie before takeoff

I'd forgotten about this until just now. Yeah before this, Disney+ on iPad was effortless

Downloaded movies have a license that need to be constantly renewed. It should be part of your parenting preflight checklist to connect to iPad to the Internet and open Disney+ to make sure everything's up to date.

It runs through each movie one at a time so it takes quite a while. Especially if you're like me and have every episode of bluey downloaded.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I had been keeping on top of it. I downloaded a bunch on Friday, and by Wednesday it was already having issues, which seems... Extreme, imo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have this sneaking suspicion that it doesn't renew the licenses until it's already expired, or that they expirations are extremely short. I don't actually care enough to validate. There's a reason I do it the night before but it's pretty apparent that their system is extremely aggressive.

The future is stupid.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I was surprised when I saw a message recently that I need internet connectivity within 48 hrs or my downloaded stuff will be deleted. I think it was Disney, but could have been Amazon as well.

Problematic if one is traveling across borders/continents for longer than that as a lot of copyright/“availability” BS kicks in.

E: in conclusion, I do not publicly endorse piracy—the objectively superior way of content acquisition.

gbut fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 21, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Child just screamed “I want to calm down” at me for 30 straight minutes.

Dude please do it. I’m not stopping you. I will even try to help (which results in “don’t help me” or “I don’t want to calm down”).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah we were international at the time it happened, maybe that was the problem. I'm sure the number of domestic travelers dwarfs the number of international travelers, particularly when it comes to children's shows

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
My toddler’s into the Spider-Man show on Disney. On one hand, yay! Spider-Man! On the other hand, now he’s asking me to draw Spider-Man, and it is not easy. I know he doesn’t really care, but I have a bit of pride and want to learn to draw this correctly, and it’s a lot harder than when he was into trains.

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down
holy poo poo i forgot how noisy newborns are. chill, buddy

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Mr. Freebus posted:

holy poo poo i forgot how noisy newborns are. chill, buddy
I communicate with my husband through weird ADHD grunts instead of words, and our 3-week old makes the exact same noises, like drat, this baby is like me fr fr

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

lifg posted:

My toddler’s into the Spider-Man show on Disney. On one hand, yay! Spider-Man! On the other hand, now he’s asking me to draw Spider-Man, and it is not easy. I know he doesn’t really care, but I have a bit of pride and want to learn to draw this correctly, and it’s a lot harder than when he was into trains.

Spidey and His Amazing Friends? My 3 and 6 year old both love it. I was just playing Doc Ock vs Spin and Ghosty as their bedtime roughhousing game.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

My 8 yo had a screaming stomping throwing meltdown because I praised one of my 5 yos for partially reading some homework. 3 hours later she calms down enough to tell us she wants more praise... and we need to give her siblings less praise...

She's having a lot of trouble being the oldest. I think she's getting pressure at school to have older interests, and not enjoy the things her 5 yo siblings like. She's very worried about watching or enjoying "baby stuff." And she lacks patients with her siblings when they're not at her development level with anything. Gets so mad at them for not understanding the things she does, and she has these meltdowns!

I'm so exhausted from parenting this weekend.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Gave the boys a haircut, they hadn't been cut in like 6 months and had crazy long hair. They had been adamant they wanted long hair but eventually they realized it's just too much of a PITA to deal with, they don't want to do the maintenance.

Good for when summer comes, though it was bloody -6 this morning??!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

killer crane posted:

My 8 yo had a screaming stomping throwing meltdown because I praised one of my 5 yos for partially reading some homework. 3 hours later she calms down enough to tell us she wants more praise... and we need to give her siblings less praise...

She's having a lot of trouble being the oldest. I think she's getting pressure at school to have older interests, and not enjoy the things her 5 yo siblings like. She's very worried about watching or enjoying "baby stuff." And she lacks patients with her siblings when they're not at her development level with anything. Gets so mad at them for not understanding the things she does, and she has these meltdowns!

I'm so exhausted from parenting this weekend.

That sounds exhausting.

Also it sounds like the intro to a Brene Brown story about shame messaging in schools for kids.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sucked a booger so hard I pulled a back muscle.

Again.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I have a four year old son. I am having a difficult time getting him to eat anything other than porridge. Oatmeal, corn meal, cream of wheat, etc he will eat readily, some times with peanut butter mixed in. Yogurt, juice, milk, banana, apple, bread, he is ok with. Occasionally he will eat a piece of chicken or some rice and beans.

He has strong teeth, so I don't think that is an issue.

I know this is a universal issue, but how do I get him to eat vegetables?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I thought it was supposed to be a special occasion in the workhouse when they added onions or other vegetables to the gruel.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Prepare a vegetable that you personally want to eat, ideally you want to eat it so much you don't want to share it. Then eat it in front of them without offering any. Selfishness should take over from there.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

SA Forums Poster posted:

I know this is a universal issue, but how do I get him to eat vegetables?

Agreed that him seeing you eating and enjoying a vegetable will help a lot. I personally love roasted broccoli with lemon juice and parmesan and my kids have seen me going ham on that enough that they've wanted to try it, and it's a side they will happily eat now. What we've done is always serve a vegetable on our kids' plates that we ourselves are eating and enjoying so they have the opportunity to get curious and take a little taste if they want to.

If your kid likes mushy sweet things you could also try carrots simmered in some kind of sweet sauce, say with orange juice and honey, or pureed sweet potatoes. Offer them vegetables that are similar to the food they already like.

I do know there are procedures for kids who are especially picky eaters where you encourage them to interact with their food- starting by touching it with just one finger, then picking it up, then smelling it, then touching it with their tongue, to eventually taking a small bite. I am pretty sure it's based on the behavior analysis high-P procedure, and I'll try to find some videos after my own spawn are dropped off at school.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The kids've been begging me to get dressed and go for a walk the whole time I was trying to eat my bagel and now who is the only one dressed and ready to go out? Who is it? It's loving me.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Muir posted:

Spidey and His Amazing Friends? My 3 and 6 year old both love it. I was just playing Doc Ock vs Spin and Ghosty as their bedtime roughhousing game.

That’s the one.

Does roughhousing make them tired for bedtime?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

lifg posted:

That’s the one.

I don't know if tired is quite the right word as bedtime is still not smooth, but it does help them be less wiggly.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My newly five year old at the beach: “Mama! I am FIVE now, I don’t need help putting on sunscream!”

Also her, from the bathroom: “Uh oh! Mama! I have poop on my finger! UH OH! Mama! Now I have poop on my thumb!”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Muir posted:

I don't know if tired is quite the right word as bedtime is still not smooth, but it does help them be less wiggly.

My daughter won't stop flopping around in her bed until she's thoroughly beaten the poo poo out of me. Then I'm supposed to sing for several minutes..?

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

lifg posted:

I typically go pretty hard with high-energy play, silliness, etc. right up until the moment they need to close their eyes and power down. It works pretty well - I can speed through the routine, we have a blast, and then their little brains shut off like a light switch... usually. My current routine for the 2-year-old is that she grabs her diaper, runs out of the room, pretends to hide it in the couch cushion, I say "why you little.." like Homer Simpson, chase after her and find the diaper, then she cackles with glee and runs back to her room. This might happen a few times, but it's fun and when she finally submits she really crashes fast.

It's less about levels of energy (like it's a tank that needs to be emptied), more about having some special time with each other to make sure the kid is feeling safe, loved, part of the family, and seen by their parent(s). If all those boxes are checked and they feel tired, the kid has few reasons to stay up later.

I never understood families that have a long, drawn out bedtime routine where the parents gradually bring the energy down through routine and attitude. That's not how I'm wired and it's not how my kids operate either.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

lifg posted:

My kid only ever wants me to draw a particular scene from one of the Frog and Toad books where Toad is covered in ice cream and Frog is hiding behind a rock. Whenever I have my computer or iPad out (eg when I am working), she asks me to draw it. I have so many variations on the drawing saved.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
I just recently found this thread and it's already been nice here, so thank you all.

We have a daughter born mid-2020, so she is almost four years old now. She and we are going through a bit of a tough time right now. Around six weeks ago she started having strong to severe separation anxiety. It is mostly focused on us parents, but it happened with seemingly mundane things. For example, she once was inconsolably crying for about half an hour in kindergarten when she accidentally tossed a paper butterfly she crafted into the wastepaper bin and could not find it for a short time.

Most significantly, it has become very, very difficult for her to go to kindergarten. She started going in September 2023, after she was in daycare starting when she was around ten months old. She's generally enjoyed kindergarten so far and used to be there from around 08:45(am) to 16:30 (4:30pm). Her mother and I work full-time. Typically she is the last kid to be picked up.
At drop-off, she will start crying and clinging to us. Today was particularly bad and my partner told me she was crying very badly. The teachers tell us she typically starts longingly asking to be picked up in the afternoon once she's alone or only one other kid remains.

It's not exclusive to kindergarten, though. She is now not able to fall asleep unless one of us is close to her - my partner usually sits on the floor right outside the kid's room, or I sit on the sofa in her room. In general she has become clingy, which she has never really been before. In fact she has never been very cuddly or otherwise intent on much physical touch - she usually (and still) doesn't want us to hug and kiss her to say good night.

It has also been a lot more difficult for her to deal with situations where she does not get what she wants or where she has to do something she does not want to do.

She's definitely always found it difficult to assess or express her feelings/emotions. This probably makes it worse in this situation. She is doing occupational therapy to help with this and a few other things.

We started to pick her up earlier from Kindergarten, but that's not sustainable in the long run. We have tried to show and tell her as much as possible that we're here for her, that we look out for her, that we love her. We tell her each morning when we are going to pick her up and that it won't be late (though that's of course hard for her to grasp).

The whole situation makes us (all three...) sad and frustrated and we are not sure how to resolve it. If any of you have any insight, ideas, or advice, please share.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
KG3 got in to our first choice daycare!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Today was a record: Twenty-five minutes pushing my son on the swing. And I still had to be the one to call it.

He talked non-stop the entire time. It's nice of the bees to make honey. Robins are a type of bird, birds sound like tweet tweet! Butterflies are yellow and white and black and-- There's a plane in the sky leaving a white trail! I love daddy, and mommy, and [sister]! Mommy's at... work! [Sister] is at... school? I went with mommy to drop off [sister] at school! We went to Wegmans! We have ice cream inside!