Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Ariza posted:

Please don't get crazy about this again. It's what got the thread shut down last time. There's lots of different ways to do things and none of them are "right."

This is also good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Ariza posted:

Please don't get crazy about this again. It's what got the thread shut down last time.

Yes.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
No one is getting crazy. But a website giving advice to tell people to restrict how you feed a 6 week old is just plain bad advice. Doing that will likely lead to issues with your milk supply and your baby's weight gain.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Chickalicious posted:

No one is getting crazy. But a website giving advice to tell people to restrict how you feed a 6 week old is just plain bad advice. Doing that will likely lead to issues with your milk supply and your baby's weight gain.

Yeah, this is not just some preference thing where everyone has a different style of doing things. The midwives and pediatric nurses we saw when my son was an infant (we had some feeding issues the first two weeks) were absolutely amandant about feeding on demand. When his weight gain was on track, we didn't have to wake him up or anything, but feeding on demand is vital for such young babies - just imagine, they are used to getting nourishment 24 hours a day via the umbilical cord, and suddenly they have to learn to go for periods of time without anything :O

Of course, when they are older, some kids can absolutely cope with not eating constantly. I nightweaned my son when he was ~11 months, because he would try to stay latch on for 15 minutes, sleep 10 minutes, and so on, for the entire night, and we were all exhausted. I'd be happy to share our experiences with that if someone si interested!

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 16, 2021

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
The website doesn't say not to feed your baby at night. From the way I read it they are advocating putting a baby to bed when they are sleepy but not quite asleep so they get used to going to sleep in a cot.

website says posted:

Once the baby is at least three weeks old, healthy and putting on weight normally, begin to delay feeding for a few moments when the baby wakes at night. The short delay means that waking is not immediately rewarded by feeding. This is done gradually, using handling or diaper changing to add a short delay, but this does not involve leaving the baby to cry for a long time

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Yeah I think that statement was the standard "don't nurse/rock babies to sleep because they will rely on that to go to sleep every time they wake up" that even the No-Cry method espouses, just worded badly. And kind of early, everything I read didn't even bother covering babies under three months.

Chris was pretty brutal to try to wean from bedsharing and nursing all night. Turns out he thought his bassinet mattress was just too hard. One egg crate foam pad cut down to size later (I considered memory foam but it looked like baby-suffocating material even for a eight-month old), he was spending the entire night in the bassinet and sleeping through the night within two weeks. Best $13 ever spent.

Can't believe the little bugger is going to be one next week! Longest year of my life.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Reading that, I pretty much did the exact opposite with two kids. I'm not sure what that advice is designed to accomplish. Is it about sleeping through the night or is the fear that babies will need to be fed every minute they are awake? Eventually they get a little older and spend more time being awake without it just being a feed and a diaper change. Then you can start looking for a pattern to their day and counting on certain times of day that will be naptime. At 6 weeks, their survival is just "get nourished, get back to sleep so I can grow."

Disclaimer: not going crazy, honestly confused.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I think it's just about getting babies used to going to sleep in a cot rather than in someones arms, so that when they are older they are used to going to sleep on their own. From a baby point of view I guess it could be said that going to sleep in the same place you wake up is possibly less confusing than going to sleep in one place and then waking up somewhere totally different but I don't know how babies minds work and if they'd even notice that kind of thing.

To be honest though I think it's lot more down to the individual baby. Connor was happy to go to sleep on his own from a young age. We'd bathe him, change him, feed him and then stick him in the moses basket and he'd go to sleep absolutely fine. But then my niece who was the same age would scream bloody murder any time her mum or dad weren't holding her so for them it was a year of constant baby wearing and co-sleeping. Neither of us did anything particularly different, Connor was just a lot more chilled out than his cousin.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
The Period of PURPLE Crying is a program backed by the National Center for Shaken Baby Syndrome. It isn't intended to be a sleep training method. It is an evidence based program intended to give parents a better understanding of how and when babies cry and what to do about it, as a method to reduce people shaking their babies to death.
The whole "delay feeding at night" thing isn't meant to be "delay for 20 minutes", it's meant to be like the step in No-Cry Sleep Solution where you determine whether your child actually needs food or instead just needs help learning how to resettle when they startle awake at night. You still calm and soothe the baby, you just change up the order of things, so instead of immediately putting the baby to breast and then patting their back, you try patting their back before offering the breast.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure that I put any stock in the waking up in the same place they went to sleep thing, but I do believe that their security comes from knowing that you will always be there for them. And from the security comes confidence. The only time our youngest gets needy is when she's sick.

We held her (16 months old now) a ton when she was an infant/baby, even more so than our first (probably due to some things that went on when she was born) and for the longest time, she would only go to sleep for the night while we gave her her last bottle. Once we eliminated the bottle we stressed about how to get her to sleep at night, but after two days off the bottle she suddenly walked up to me one night and said "night night" and I picked her up and carried her to bed. And since then, night time has been just that easy. She will occasionally wake up in the middle of the night, but we've learned that if we just pick her up and hold for a second to reassure her, she quickly calms down and almost immediately wants back in the crib to go back to sleep.

So while I don't subscribe to the full on attachment parenting, I am pretty adamant about holding the baby as much as it wants to be held. I've also come to believe that if the baby is crying, it's crying for a reason, and it's just a matter of figuring out why. Ignoring it won't fix whatever is wrong.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm not sure that I put any stock in the waking up in the same place they went to sleep thing, but I do believe that their security comes from knowing that you will always be there for them. And from the security comes confidence. The only time our youngest gets needy is when she's sick.

No it's not a theory that I've put much thought into, I just wonder a lot what goes on in babies heads.

El Gato
Nov 5, 2002
Hi all,

My wife and I had our first child (a daughter) in July. She was six weeks early, so we didn't get the "normal" first few weeks... but she's ok now.

At what point did people start getting the bedtime routine to work? She just turned 3 months, but we're not sure if the differences in getting her to bed from night to night are caused by her or by us not being consistent.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

El Gato posted:

Hi all,

My wife and I had our first child (a daughter) in July. She was six weeks early, so we didn't get the "normal" first few weeks... but she's ok now.

At what point did people start getting the bedtime routine to work? She just turned 3 months, but we're not sure if the differences in getting her to bed from night to night are caused by her or by us not being consistent.

The Healthy Sleep Habits book says if the baby is early, then the schedule shifts so you don't count time before the due date. In sleep terms your baby would only be 6 weeks old, and thus just entering the point where she will develop a predictable sleep schedule. I don't know how true that is, though.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

El Gato posted:

Hi all,

Developmentally, preemies should be dated as an adjusted age for at least the first year. So she's 3 months but was 6 weeks early, which means that her developmental age is 6 weeks adjusted. Feel free to start having a routine as in things that you do in a certain way every day, but I wouldn't expect her to start really responding to those routines and nighttime cues for a while yet.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Papercut posted:

The Healthy Sleep Habits book says if the baby is early, then the schedule shifts so you don't count time before the due date. In sleep terms your baby would only be 6 weeks old, and thus just entering the point where she will develop a predictable sleep schedule. I don't know how true that is, though.

It is true, according to the neonatalogists who treated my son in NICU when he was born a preemie. They told us to adjust his age to his duedate for the first year at least.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hookerbot 5000 posted:

No it's not a theory that I've put much thought into, I just wonder a lot what goes on in babies heads.

Sorry if it sounded like I was directing that at you, it really wasn't. I read an article a few months back that explained you positively can't let your baby fall asleep in your arms because when they wake up in their crib they'll be confused as poo poo, so instead of going back to sleep they will cry. Which I guess was your point, but I was speaking to the theory that's out there, and not you.

El Gato
Nov 5, 2002
Thanks Papercut and Fionnoula. The difference between her birthdate age and adjusted age is hard to mentally wrangle sometimes. We have been getting up in the middle of the night for 3 months, even if she isn't ready to do 3 month things.

Babies are so much cuter in the daytime.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sorry if it sounded like I was directing that at you, it really wasn't. I read an article a few months back that explained you positively can't let your baby fall asleep in your arms because when they wake up in their crib they'll be confused as poo poo, so instead of going back to sleep they will cry. Which I guess was your point, but I was speaking to the theory that's out there, and not you.

Ahh, I didn't realise it was a theory that actual people had said :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

El Gato posted:

Hi all,

I felt like it took us 3 months just to get a handle on things and START having a steady bedtime routine. We had to learn his tired signals and then figure out how much earlier than that we'd need to start getting him ready. Even when she gets to the right adjusted age, don't be discouraged if it takes you a little while to figure out a routine that works for you and for her! We kept trying nighttime baths because EVERYONE does them, but finally figured out that he didn't have enough energy for them and he'd just end up bawling at the end.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think it's just about getting babies used to going to sleep in a cot rather than in someones arms, so that when they are older they are used to going to sleep on their own. From a baby point of view I guess it could be said that going to sleep in the same place you wake up is possibly less confusing than going to sleep in one place and then waking up somewhere totally different but I don't know how babies minds work and if they'd even notice that kind of thing.

IIRC the technique we learned was Feed, Play, Sleep, so they're always going to bed on a feed. And the key idea was, yes, letting them learn how to self-soothe, and that it's okay for them to go to sleep.

Two essential parts of it that often get missed are the very small window between a baby getting tired and a baby getting overtired (i.e. if you wait ten minutes past the bit where they're looking sort of glassy and jerky before you put them down, it's probably too late) AND the importance of hearing the different sorts of crying.

A baby that's completely hysterically losing its poo poo isn't going to sleep no matter how long you wait. But one that's crying loud for a few minutes, being quiet, crying less loudly for a few minutes, being quiet for longer, crying even less loudly, being quiet for even longer... very likely is. There's also a very different quality to the crying, it's more rote.

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Fionnoula posted:

The Period of PURPLE Crying is a program backed by the National Center for Shaken Baby Syndrome. It isn't intended to be a sleep training method. It is an evidence based program intended to give parents a better understanding of how and when babies cry and what to do about it, as a method to reduce people shaking their babies to death.

???

I brought up the Purple Period of Crying because someone mentioned that their 8 week old was fussier than usual. I didn't make any association whatsoever with this campaign and sleep training.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Counselor Sugarbutt posted:

???

I brought up the Purple Period of Crying because someone mentioned that their 8 week old was fussier than usual. I didn't make any association whatsoever with this campaign and sleep training.

I wasn't speaking directly to you, I was trying to answer the questions of other people in the thread who seemed confused about the purpose of the program.

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Fionnoula posted:

I wasn't speaking directly to you, I was trying to answer the questions of other people in the thread who seemed confused about the purpose of the program.

Ok, just re-read the last few posts and realized that this last sleep training debate was from the sleep section of the Purple Period website. I didn't even realize the sleep stuff was there because I honestly didn't use the advice at all. I only used the website to read up on patterns of infant crying, when it peaks, etc. Sorry!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Here is my sprouts. The older they get, the more clear it becomes that kid big is a clone of me with no genetic input from my wife, and kid little is all wife with no discernable me in there.

robbiegusfall2012 by RReiheld, on Flickr

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Slo-Tek posted:

Here is my sprouts. The older they get, the more clear it becomes that kid big is a clone of me with no genetic input from my wife, and kid little is all wife with no discernable me in there.

Hah. Our daughter is a good mesh of the two of us but our son is a clone of my husband.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Slo-Tek posted:

That's a Slo Tek smirk on Sprout II for sure.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

robbiegusfall2012 by RReiheld, on Flickr

One of them is named Gus? Because if so, that is the best name! Reminds me of Gus Gus from Cinderella. So adorable!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Dear Prudence posted:

One of them is named Gus? Because if so, that is the best name! Reminds me of Gus Gus from Cinderella. So adorable!

Yeah, kid little is Alexander August. They call him Alex at school, we call him Gus at home. His choice, when asked is "Auggie-Doggie"

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Superdawg posted:

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I was thinking about the hearth gate. Was curious where everyone else stood with regard to what they were doing. The price makes me just wanna keep going with putting something big on the stairs so he just can't get by it. :)

If you're still looking for a gate, Woot has a good one on sale for $30 today: http://kids.woot.com/offers/summer-infant-baby-gate-7991

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
So Ben is just over 2 months and I've been going by what the pediatrician said last month about making sure he eats no more than 6 hours after he goes to bed. That worked out great and he usually would wake up like 15 minutes or so before my 6 hour alarm went off. Then I would feed him and he'd go right back to sleep for another 2-3 hours.

The past couple of days he hasn't been waking up on his own after 6 hours. I let him sleep another 15-30 minutes but I start to worry and wake him up to feed him before too long.

Should I let him sleep as long as he wants at this age, or is there a higher limit I should set my alarm to so I can wake him up? I just don't want to let him sleep 7 or 8 hours if he really needs to be eating sooner.

edit: he is breastfed

Awesome Kristin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 23, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Awesome Kristin posted:

So Ben is just over 2 months and I've been going by what the pediatrician said last month about making sure he eats no more than 6 hours after he goes to bed. That worked out great and he usually would wake up like 15 minutes or so before my 6 hour alarm went off. Then I would feed him and he'd go right back to sleep for another 2-3 hours.

The past couple of days he hasn't been waking up on his own after 6 hours. I let him sleep another 15-30 minutes but I start to worry and wake him up to feed him before too long.

Should I let him sleep as long as he wants at this age, or is there a higher limit I should set my alarm to so I can wake him up? I just don't want to let him sleep 7 or 8 hours if he really needs to be eating sooner.

If he's not putting on enough weight you'll need to wake him, sadly. Our girl slept like a champ but wasn't getting enough weight gain so we had to start waking her up. But if he's hitting his targets just feel smug about your awesome little snoozemaster.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
He's in the middle for his age as far as weight and height. His head is like 90th percentile though.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Awesome Kristin posted:

You can go that long without becoming engorged, painful and leaky?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Mnemosyne posted:

You can go that long without becoming engorged, painful and leaky?

It's best when I pump after his last feeding of the night. I do get slightly leaky after 6 hours if I haven't pumped the night before. It's not painful but they do get quite full and I pump after his morning feeding and am fine. It wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that I stopped leaking all over the place though.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Awesome Kristin posted:

It's best when I pump after his last feeding of the night. I do get slightly leaky after 6 hours if I haven't pumped the night before. It's not painful but they do get quite full and I pump after his morning feeding and am fine. It wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that I stopped leaking all over the place though.

I was pretty sure that I was dealt a lovely hand with the boob situation, and now I know it. :(
My boobs start to throb and leak after 4 hours. It's been 4 months since I slept more than 4 hours at a stretch, and it's really starting to suck.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I wouldn't wake him up to nurse as long as he's a healthy weight.

Toadpuppy
Apr 8, 2003

Awesome Kristin posted:

He's in the middle for his age as far as weight and height. His head is like 90th percentile though.

My kid had a 90th percentile head, too, as a baby. I always felt weird looking at other kids on the playground thinking "Why are their heads so small?" She's ridiculously healthy, though, and beautiful as the day is long, so it really doesn't matter as long as the percentile stays consistent (which it did).

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Does anyone happen to have a good recipe for Teething Biscuits? Kid_Mage just turned 6 months and well

She is obviously teething or secretly a vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
So, Chris turns 1 this week, it's weaning time! I really don't think I'm producing all that much anyways so I don't feel too bad.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get him to like cow's milk? I gave it to him a couple times at breakfast, he just drinks it, opens his mouth and lets it spill out, then refuses the cup. Should I try to sweeten it with something (he likes all types of fruit juices)? Or should I start with something like 1% and ramp him up to whole?

Here's the obligatory messy birthday cake photo, had a great party for him this past weekend.