Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

sullat posted:

Just had the 12 month wellness visit and the little guy hasn't gained any weight since 9 months. He's been sick the few weeks and doesn't seem to want to eat anything other than bananas, cheerios and formula, but I'd like to try and get him eating good stuff again. Any good ideas for nutritious foods to give him that a somewhat picky baby might eat?

Avocado. Oatmeal made with whole milk. Greek yoghurt (maybe add some banana or something to sweeten it a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
If you have time (not that it takes much--just stir everything together on a low heat and then chill until you like the consistency) you can make things like really basic cornmeal puddings with lots of whole milk and any kind of baby food mixed in--squash, carrot, banana, whatever. It can be made gloppy or solid.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
That makes sense, just stick some banana in everything. Little guy really can't get enough of them. He just pulled some out of a grocery bag and started trying to chew through the peel.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Mine loves pureed chickpeas--baby's first hummus. :) Lentil soup's another good one with a variety of textures. Toast is easy for baby to self-feed and also so easy to smear jam or sunflower seed butter or butter or whatever on it, for an added oomph.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Chickalicious posted:

12 weeks old is really young to expect a sleep routine to work. She can work on a consistent sleep routine (bath, boob, stories, bed in whatever order works), but expecting it to work all the time and especially expecting them to sleep all night at such a young age is a recipe for making yourself crazy.

Here's some info on normal sleep in infants:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleepstudies/

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleep/

Thanks for those, and Lyz too. I don't think she's doing any kind of routine at all, really, so I thought it might be a good thing for her to read up on. She said she's tried a schedule but I don't think she's done the sort of sleep routines I see you guys talk about in here, and from what I gather, consistency is pretty important for babies (at least once they're a bit older, but still, better to start now that she's sleeping at all).

My other friends just had their baby last night and I am already smitten :3: I can't wait to see her (of course we are not going to descend upon them immediately- we're thinking December). I haven't gotten to meet the aforementioned three month old either but she lives too far away. Anyway, :3::3::3:

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Thanks for those, and Lyz too. I don't think she's doing any kind of routine at all, really, so I thought it might be a good thing for her to read up on. She said she's tried a schedule but I don't think she's done the sort of sleep routines I see you guys talk about in here, and from what I gather, consistency is pretty important for babies (at least once they're a bit older, but still, better to start now that she's sleeping at all).

My other friends just had their baby last night and I am already smitten :3: I can't wait to see her (of course we are not going to descend upon them immediately- we're thinking December). I haven't gotten to meet the aforementioned three month old either but she lives too far away. Anyway, :3::3::3:

I have experience with a baby that wouldn't sleep longer than 30 mins. Have her look into a 90 minute sleep schedule. There's a book on it, but it's pretty simple. Just put the baby down for sleep, when he wakes up, put him down again around 90 minutes later, rinse and repeat. It worked wonders and the baby started getting a lot more sleep.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Hey guys, my friend has a 3 month old and she's having trouble getting her to sleep. She hasn't been trying any particular method and she didn't have luck with a schedule (I don't know how hard they tried.). The baby has had nasty nasty colic and is only now becoming less like a crying machine and more like a baby, from what I understand. She (baby) never naps for more than 30 minutes but occasionally sleeps through the night and she slept 11 hours last night. Can someone suggest some resources for her to look at different methods? I don't know anything about what to look for except that if I mention CIO in this thread there'll be problems ;)

No Cry Nap Solution is the book I'd recommend for troubleshooting short naps. No Cry Sleep Solution is good too, but I feel like the Nap book's organization was particularly helpful (figuring out what to try with a catnapper vs. needs to nurse to sleep type of baby, etc.). It helped give me some concrete stuff to try, and is all about finding out what methods/routines work for you or your family. Things are gradually getting better for us in terms of naps and bedtime, so I'm happy with our more gentle approach. My big issue with a lot of the sleep training stuff I see around is that it's a "one size fits all" sort of solution, and I don't think it's compassionate towards the baby.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

MoCookies posted:

No Cry Nap Solution is the book I'd recommend for troubleshooting short naps. No Cry Sleep Solution is good too, but I feel like the Nap book's organization was particularly helpful (figuring out what to try with a catnapper vs. needs to nurse to sleep type of baby, etc.). It helped give me some concrete stuff to try, and is all about finding out what methods/routines work for you or your family. Things are gradually getting better for us in terms of naps and bedtime, so I'm happy with our more gentle approach. My big issue with a lot of the sleep training stuff I see around is that it's a "one size fits all" sort of solution, and I don't think it's compassionate towards the baby.

I definitely agree with the lack of compassion in sleep training stuff. Not all kids are the same! I thought my kid would never nap for a long time. If I was lucky, he would nap for 45 minutes a few times a day when he was under 9ish months, then he transitioned to 2 1 hour naps, and now at 2 he finally naps for almost 2 hours every day and has done so for the last several months. Nothing I did changed how long he napped; it was just the natural progression of things as he aged.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Anyone have good suggestions for a sippy cup? My daughter is great at nipples and has used a variety of them. She still will drink out of a bottle okay but if there's water in it she is not happy and will just put down the bottle. I tried just giving her a cup but she choked herself, even with me helping her do it slowly. She really wants to drink out of a cup so I wanted to get her a training cup or a sippy cup but there are so many different options and varying reviews so if you have one that worked for you, I'd love to know about it so I don't spend too much money looking for one she'll like. Thanks!

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

car dance posted:

Anyone have good suggestions for a sippy cup? My daughter is great at nipples and has used a variety of them. She still will drink out of a bottle okay but if there's water in it she is not happy and will just put down the bottle. I tried just giving her a cup but she choked herself, even with me helping her do it slowly. She really wants to drink out of a cup so I wanted to get her a training cup or a sippy cup but there are so many different options and varying reviews so if you have one that worked for you, I'd love to know about it so I don't spend too much money looking for one she'll like. Thanks!

How old? My son skipped sippy cups completely and went straight to straw cups. I think he was somewhere around 14-16 months. Straw cups are better for their mouth/speech development anyway.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

car dance posted:

You can learn from my mistakes and get Take and Toss Spill Proof or these if you want cups with straws. I ended up buying these on a lark after going through about a dozen different ones that cost from $6 - 15 a piece and finding all of them awful. In all of the cups, the spill-proof mechanisms and straws tend to trap food and drink particles in spaces that are way too small to clean. I am extremely weird about these things, but I did see mold growing in a couple of them up in the weird plastic twists and turns that I couldn't get clean no matter how much I tried. The Take and Toss work very well as spill proof and once they get too weird for me I throw them out. We mostly use them without the lids now so they're not useless once the kid gets a little older either.

Don't get the similar ones that are Ziploc branded, they are very terrible.

edit - And don't bother spending $10 on a gyro-bowl. My daughter loves dumping things and took it as a challenge every time I gave her the bowl. It lasted less than a minute and she was 12 months old when she got it.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 6, 2012

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Seconding these, they are pretty awesome and you can get a lot of them for pretty cheap. Only down side is Chris has learned he has to open his mouth occasionally to release the suction, which doesn't translate well when drinking from a straw (but then again, he also likes chewing on a straw so that probably doesn't help). They also aren't completely spill proof, but they do pretty good for a cheap cup.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Thought I might ask the thread.

Part the first - I'm a proud father of a five week old baby (5 weeks today, in fact) - having returned to work in the past few weeks, the wife has taken over primary care giving. She's not finding time to sleep at all from when I leave at half seven until when I return at half six. Baby C won't sleep at all unless held for ages beforehand. and when baby C drops off, its for about a half hour at a time.

Is five weeks too early to start the "leave baby alone so that it knows it has to sleep by itself" routine?

Part the second - wifey's really up on breast feeding. coupled with the lack of sleep meaning she's walking around like a zombie at the moment. I'm doing what I can, nappy changes, winding, taking care of the baby in the evening so that she can sleep. I'd ideally like her to start expressing so that for the evening feeds, she can sleep uninterrupted. She's unsure of doing this, because of the bond of breastfeeding.

Am I being too pushy by asking her to think about expressing so I can help with the evening feeds?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You want this thread for babies up to three months.

Yes your baby is way too young for leave the baby alone to learn to sleep etc. etc. (and many people frown very much on that approach anyway. Look at the posts right after this one to get some ideas to read up on for later.

Please stop calling your wife "wifey" and "the wife" it makes you sound like a 1940's person and not in a cool retro way.

(e: Everyone else, please don't blow up at the dude. I've taken care of it, move along move along :cop:)

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

Beichan posted:

How old? My son skipped sippy cups completely and went straight to straw cups. I think he was somewhere around 14-16 months. Straw cups are better for their mouth/speech development anyway.

She's 8 months old today actually.

Ariza posted:

You can learn from my mistakes and get Take and Toss Spill Proof or these if you want cups with straws. I ended up buying these on a lark after going through about a dozen different ones that cost from $6 - 15 a piece and finding all of them awful. In all of the cups, the spill-proof mechanisms and straws tend to trap food and drink particles in spaces that are way too small to clean. I am extremely weird about these things, but I did see mold growing in a couple of them up in the weird plastic twists and turns that I couldn't get clean no matter how much I tried. The Take and Toss work very well as spill proof and once they get too weird for me I throw them out. We mostly use them without the lids now so they're not useless once the kid gets a little older either.

Don't get the similar ones that are Ziploc branded, they are very terrible.

edit - And don't bother spending $10 on a gyro-bowl. My daughter loves dumping things and took it as a challenge every time I gave her the bowl. It lasted less than a minute and she was 12 months old when she got it.

Thanks! I also feel weird about all those ones with lots of places for mold to grow. I'm not a big fan of plastic for her but if it's easy to clean and/or disposable I don't mind it so much.

When I see age limits on things like sippy cups (many of them say 9mo+) can I just ignore them? I can understand for things like bouncy chairs that you want them to be big enough to have good head support, but I can't think of a thing that would make my daughter unable to use a sippy cup because she's one month too young.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yes your baby is way too young for leave the baby alone to learn to sleep etc. etc. (and many people frown very much on that approach anyway. Look at the posts right after this one to get some ideas to read up on for later.

Please stop calling your wife "wifey" and "the wife" it makes you sound like a 1940's person and not in a cool retro way.

(e: Everyone else, please don't blow up at the dude. I've taken care of it, move along move along :cop:)

I think maybe your second link is broken, it opens up the reply box for me.

Is this the post you meant?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

car dance posted:

She's 8 months old today actually.

Thanks! I also feel weird about all those ones with lots of places for mold to grow. I'm not a big fan of plastic for her but if it's easy to clean and/or disposable I don't mind it so much.

When I see age limits on things like sippy cups (many of them say 9mo+) can I just ignore them? I can understand for things like bouncy chairs that you want them to be big enough to have good head support, but I can't think of a thing that would make my daughter unable to use a sippy cup because she's one month too young.

My son was drinking from straw cups at 8 months, didn't use a sippy cup ever. And he's developmentally delayed, so developmentally he was much closer to a 2 or 3 month old at the time and had muscle tone problems resulting in him not being able to sit independently until 13 months. We skipped sippy cups altogether at the urging of his occupational therapist and speech therapists, who all highly discouraged sippy use and think straws are the bees knees (straws require active lip closure and muscle use in the cheeks, which is good for speech development).

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

my thanks for the links, and my apologies epw for the use of the vernacular.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think maybe your second link is broken, it opens up the reply box for me.

Is this the post you meant?

Whoops, yep.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Red is Dead posted:

Thought I might ask the thread.

Part the first - I'm a proud father of a five week old baby (5 weeks today, in fact) - having returned to work in the past few weeks, the wife has taken over primary care giving. She's not finding time to sleep at all from when I leave at half seven until when I return at half six. Baby C won't sleep at all unless held for ages beforehand. and when baby C drops off, its for about a half hour at a time.

Is five weeks too early to start the "leave baby alone so that it knows it has to sleep by itself" routine?

Yes. WAY too early to expect a baby to be okay with being on their own. Get "No Cry Sleep Solution" and/or "No Cry Nap Solution" and read up on what normal infant sleep patterns are, and make a plan for your bedtime routine. Every kid and every family is different, so you'll need to think about what works best for your situation.

That doesn't sound like a lot of sleep for a newborn, so it's no wonder your wife is tired. A good babycarrier could help with getting the baby down to sleep instead of using arms or a lap. They're not cheap, but it's the piece of gear I couldn't do without once I was on my own with a baby all the time.

quote:

Part the second - wifey's really up on breast feeding. coupled with the lack of sleep meaning she's walking around like a zombie at the moment. I'm doing what I can, nappy changes, winding, taking care of the baby in the evening so that she can sleep. I'd ideally like her to start expressing so that for the evening feeds, she can sleep uninterrupted. She's unsure of doing this, because of the bond of breastfeeding.

Am I being too pushy by asking her to think about expressing so I can help with the evening feeds?

The problem I see with your plan is that breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. If your wife is going long periods at night (3+ hours) without breastfeeding, then her supply for those hours is going to decrease. Not breastfeeding for longer periods also could lead to clogged ducts or mastitis. It's really important to do all you can to build a good milk supply in those first two to three months. Supply problems are really stressful. Being a breastfeeding zombie sucks though; I've been there. The good news is that it doesn't last forever, and they start to consolidate their sleep cycles into a more "normal" schedule. For me, co-sleeping was the answer for getting more sleep at night. I also find it helps my son nap for longer, so if I'm pooped out and its his naptime, I'll just lay down with him and take a snooze. It would be really great if your wife could do this at least once a day so she's getting some rest.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Red is Dead, if she's not comfortable with you doing every evening feed, you could ask if she'd like you to do ONE feed, one day, and then see how she feels from there. Keep in mind that at 3 months, depending on her body, she's likely to still wake up at the time of the feeding, because her body knows that's the time milk is needed. She may still have to wake and pump, which might take more time and effort than actually feeding. A trial run or two might be good. Or you could ask her to pump and store it in the freezer so that in case she doesn't wake some night, you can take care of the baby's feed more spontaneously.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
This was not done by my kid, but rather by one of the 6 year old girls in my Daisy Girl Scout troop. It was so awesome that I simply had to share.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I took my daughter to see the Fresh Beat Band last night, and it was pretty good, even if she spent half the time barely clapping and the other half wondering why twist wasn't wearing his jacket. It was mostly parents and their 1-10 year olds, except at least one guy who looked like a 20+ year old brony by himself. I hope this fad of adult men liking stuff geared toward prepubescent girls ends soon. One guy out of hundreds of people isn't that bad, but it's still gross.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Magical Musical Seahorses appear to work on more than just babies.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with hydrocele? Little dude is20 months old and I noticed his little sack was swollen on one side during a diaper change. He had an ultrasound and everything to make sure it wasn't torsion or a hernia so hydrocele was the diagnosis. The pediatric surgeon recommended surgery in case his intestines pop through the little hole. I'm very nervous about him going under anesthesia.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

So I have a 4.5 month old little dude who has been just a blast so far. He sleeps well, he's happy, he's growing, etc.

However, the back of his head is, for lack of a better term, mishapen. He has positional plagiocephaly according to the doctor - caused by favoring looking to his right side when sleeping. The wife and I wish we knew better when he first came home to be sure he slept facing both sides, but we had other concerns (breastfeeding issues) and didn't realize it was an issue until the back right of his head was already pretty flat. Anyway, after a few months of trying to maximize tummy time and always trying to turn his head to the left when he was sleeping, the doc suggested getting a cranial band / helmet, and we had our first appointment with the orthotics guy this week. Little dude is going to have a helmet by the end of the month, has to wear it 23 hours a day, and probably for about four months.

Anyone else have experience with this? We're comforted by the fact that it's purely cosmetic, but we're still anxious about the helmet.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

No experience with a helmet in particular, but I was in a hip brace when I was about that age, and have spoken to my mom about it before, and my son spent about a full month in a cast at one point. After a day or two of being in something nonstop, the baby pretty much stops noticing it's there, even if it restricts movement. The helmet looks like it's pretty much not an issue there, so after about a day or two of being annoyed and/or curious, your son probably will just forget it's there entirely.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

schwein11 posted:

So I have a 4.5 month old little dude who has been just a blast so far. He sleeps well, he's happy, he's growing, etc.

However, the back of his head is, for lack of a better term, mishapen.
Anyone else have experience with this? We're comforted by the fact that it's purely cosmetic, but we're still anxious about the helmet.

David had the same thing, at around the same age. We noticed he favored one side for laying down and looking around. We were referred to a physical therapist who diagnosed him with torticollis. We were given a home program to do with him, different exercises to make sure he developed both sides equally.

Our PT explained that we could do a helmet but that at such a young age, the skull is still flexible enough that the exercises are enough to get things back on track. David was actually discharged from therapy this week, and his head rounded out beautifully just from working with him.

Is there a reason you decided to go straight to the helmet? If your insurance covers it, a PT evaluation might be worth the time.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I'm still swaddling my little guy at night, but he's almost 5 months old, and I figure we'll probably stop soon. I don't even know that he needs it anymore, but I mostly do it to keep his hands warm. How do you keep their hands warm at night (especially during the winter) once you stop swaddling?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

I'm still swaddling my little guy at night, but he's almost 5 months old, and I figure we'll probably stop soon. I don't even know that he needs it anymore, but I mostly do it to keep his hands warm. How do you keep their hands warm at night (especially during the winter) once you stop swaddling?

Put socks on his hands.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I don't worry about it, especially when he's in fleece jammies and a fleece sleepsack. It's like worrying about his nose being cold :) I had the opposite experience as LoG; when I had socks on his hands for a while, he kept sucking on them and always had icy hands.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Ha, I've never thought of that possibility. Got to love living in an area with no real winter.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

vanessa posted:

David had the same thing, at around the same age. We noticed he favored one side for laying down and looking around. We were referred to a physical therapist who diagnosed him with torticollis. We were given a home program to do with him, different exercises to make sure he developed both sides equally.

Our PT explained that we could do a helmet but that at such a young age, the skull is still flexible enough that the exercises are enough to get things back on track. David was actually discharged from therapy this week, and his head rounded out beautifully just from working with him.

Is there a reason you decided to go straight to the helmet? If your insurance covers it, a PT evaluation might be worth the time.

I guess I wasn't clear about that part of it - we already did two months of home exercises that our Pediatrician recommended (between the 2 month and 4 month well-visits). After his head didn't significantly get better after that, the doc wrote a scrip for the helmet.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

vanessa posted:

What kind of exercises does it entail? Moving their head when they're sleeping/napping?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Well, Ben is zeroing in on 3 months now. He's suddenly decided nap time and being tired in general is the worst thing in the world. He can scream and cry for more than half an hour when it's time for a nap or bed at night. He generally goes to sleep fine the two naps after his 6 hours of night sleep. Every nap after that, plus bed time is crazy. It's usually a 20-30 minute ordeal of just trying to get him to stop crying and drift off to sleep, sometimes it can take over an hour.

Why has he decided to fight sleeping so hard? It's getting really stressful. If he wasn't so stinking cute I would be pulling my hair out.

He's finally able to aim his hands to his mouth and just wants to lick everything now. Also he loves TV. Here he is watching Louis CK.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

bamzilla posted:

What kind of exercises does it entail? Moving their head when they're sleeping/napping?

At first, everything we did was focused on using the side he didn't favor. So that meant giving him bottles from the right, offering him toys from the right, putting him on his right side when we played and encouraging him to turn to the right. When we carried him around, we held him so he had to look to the right. As he gained skills, then we did things like use toys to entice him to pivot to the right. We also did balance exercises to strengthen his neck muscles, where we held him low and tilted him just far enough that he needed to work to hold his head straight up. Other things we did were to hold toys above his head so he had to look up up up to see them (and thus lift his head/curve his back more) and put toys a little bit elevated so that he had to reach up to get them.

These days, when I put him in his crib, he still automatically rolls over to his left side, but he has a symmetric crawl and reaches for things with both hands.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

LoG posted:

Does anyone have any experience with hydrocele? Little dude is20 months old and I noticed his little sack was swollen on one side during a diaper change. He had an ultrasound and everything to make sure it wasn't torsion or a hernia so hydrocele was the diagnosis. The pediatric surgeon recommended surgery in case his intestines pop through the little hole. I'm very nervous about him going under anesthesia.

Two of my husband's (grown) cousins had this when they were little, and so did one of my husband's cousin's kids. I understand totally being apprehensive about the anesthesia--my littlest dude, Liam, is also 20 months. They're our babbies! ;)

They all had surgery around age two. The little guy who had it done recently is 5 now. He went in in the morning and was home in the evening. Sat on an inflatable the next day and complained a couple times that his pee-pee hurt, but was mostly in good spirits and unscathed. He's right as rain now. (And the grown cousins are both dads now even, so all is well.)

Also, hello new thread! It's been a while y'all. I have to re-remember everyone's kids!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

LoG posted:

No experience with that particular thing, but my son had to be put under anesthesia at a little bit older than that for a surgery to repair some tendons in his ankle. Everything went fine. Took him a while to wake up fully, but he wore himself out crying before he went under.

Scuttlebutt
Jun 4, 2009

Pip pip!
Does anyone have any experience with toddlers who don't talk? My 2.5 year old niece doesn't talk. Every now and then she will say a word (never consistently), and the family treats it as cause for celebration. Most of the time she just screams and cries. I know that her parents have a referral to get her evaluated, but they don't intend to follow through with it. Should we be worried, or is she just most likely a late bloomer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Scuttlebutt posted:

Does anyone have any experience with toddlers who don't talk? My 2.5 year old niece doesn't talk. Every now and then she will say a word (never consistently), and the family treats it as cause for celebration. Most of the time she just screams and cries. I know that her parents have a referral to get her evaluated, but they don't intend to follow through with it. Should we be worried, or is she just most likely a late bloomer?

I would definitely get that checked out. It might be nothing, but it's late enough that it's absolutely not wise to take that risk. The sooner you do something about a language delay, the better.

Remember though, that productive vocabulary is not the best indicator of language at that age. Does she try to communicate? Does she point? Does she seem to understand a lot of words? If yes, those are good signs and makes the lack of words less worrisome. If no, all the more reason to get her evaluated.