Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

It took me ages to discover Trash Truck because in the UK it's been retitled as Giant Jack (??) and re-voiced with British accents (???).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Should have called it a bit of trash and lorry

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Is Trash Truck good? My eyes glazed over almost immediately when we watched it once.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's... cute. Fairly bland. Decent voice work, Kevin from the office is a bear. I wouldn't have given it a second look but my son asks for it by name so...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BadSamaritan posted:

I did try this, as it mirrored my feelings by the second third of the store. However my children then apparently bullied me into covering less of the bar, which they apparently needed access to.

:negative:

My daughter needs access to the bar so she can thoroughly munch on it. I don’t know why we bother going to the doctor for vaccinations, she must have been exposed to everything by now.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Should have called it a bit of trash and lorry

:golfclap:

As a Brit I appreciate this reference.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Bloody hell, another growth spurt. Cue screaming waking up in the middle of the night with the pain of bones literally growing as fast as they can like something out of a comic.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Holy poo poo, is that how it works? This is horrifying.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sure as gently caress how it felt when I had 'em.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I remember bone pain when I hit puberty.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I don't understand how "I'm going poop, brb" is an invitation

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Brawnfire posted:

I don't understand how "I'm going poop, brb" is an invitation

I don’t understand why my toddler loves to hang out with me in the John and watch me poop and talk about pooping and cheer me on.

But when it’s his turn he gets to hide behind the furniture and yell at us to stay away? And that he will never poop in a potty and will only poop his diaper?

These double standards must end.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hy-poo-crisy.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

unknown posted:

Bloody hell, another growth spurt. Cue screaming waking up in the middle of the night with the pain of bones literally growing as fast as they can like something out of a comic.

One of the boys has this happen too, it’s rough.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Before we had kids, we watched the Babies documentary series on Netflix. One of the studies was about how kids grow; when they say a growth spurt, they mean it literally. If you measure weekly, the growth looks constant for kids. But if you measure daily, it’s a series of steps; meaning they’ll just grow half an inch all at once. ooof.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My favorite children’s documentary is the movie whiplash. JK simmons does a masterful job of recreating what it’s like to play with my 4 year old and always getting things slightly wrong.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Having kids is like being in an abusive narcissistic relationship, but you know what, I appreciate the love bombing.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

lifg posted:

Having kids is like being in an abusive narcissistic relationship, but you know what, I appreciate the love bombing.

My 3 year old decided he wanted to get flowers for mama today, which was very sweet.

Then while I was checking out he demanded to hold them. Then refused to hold them. Then demanded to hold them. Then refused to hold them. So I took them away.

He then yelled at me “GIVE ME THE FLOWERS I WANT THE FLOWERS” until I paid and told him to “cut it out buddy.”

He reacted to this phrase with a complete meltdown and kept saying “no you cut it out” and “I just want to be happy again” in between sobs.

At least it was a nice idea to get her flowers.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

space uncle posted:

My 3 year old decided he wanted to get flowers for mama today, which was very sweet.

Then while I was checking out he demanded to hold them. Then refused to hold them. Then demanded to hold them. Then refused to hold them. So I took them away.

He then yelled at me “GIVE ME THE FLOWERS I WANT THE FLOWERS” until I paid and told him to “cut it out buddy.”

He reacted to this phrase with a complete meltdown and kept saying “no you cut it out” and “I just want to be happy again” in between sobs.

At least it was a nice idea to get her flowers.

This is such a distilled living with a 3 year old story. Perfect, no notes

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Olanphonia posted:

This is such a distilled living with a 3 year old story. Perfect, no notes

I have to tell you the next part so one more note.

After saying “I want to be happy again” he followed up with a deeper thought “why am I sad?”

I was honestly curious so I asked him “why are you sad?”

He said “I don’t know.”

I said “That’s okay, sometimes people are sad for no reason.”

He was heartbroken “Why did you tell me that?”

I am ashamed to admit that I busted out laughing because that felt like such an adult response to this deep universal truth. Maybe I shouldn’t have dropped it on him.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Oh, just cleaning up a turd in the hallway, how’s your Wednesday going?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Our nearly 4yo is having issues with quiet time at daycare.

When he seriously needs to nap he gets super defiant and keeps ramping up the volume until they have to take him from the room, at which point he completely loses control. We have been sending him in with coloring pages that he can draw on if he is being quiet, but I guess yesterday's selection wasn't stuff he wanted to actually color and it happened again. He says "the teacher tore up my coloring pages!" but I'm 99% sure that the teacher was taking them back because he wasn't fulfilling the "be quiet" part of the deal and he snatched and yanked at them.

We have seen similar behavior at home at the end of a day where we've been doing poo poo and he didn't nap any, and have kind of figured out that the way out of the spiral is to start a calming part of bedtime nearby without him (usually us starting to read a book despite him not sitting next to us) at which point he will generally join in and rapidly settle into the groove.

I suspect he doesn't have the emotional tools he needs to handle frustration about not being able to do something and it's coming to a head at that time of day because when he's tired he loses the ability to stay focused and wants to do everything in rapid succession. Any ideas for teaching him some calming techniques? Like... mindfulness for 4yo or something?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BadSamaritan posted:

Oh, just cleaning up a turd in the hallway, how’s your Wednesday going?

both kids kept us up all night.

Both kids have been sleeping peacefully since 5AM, and aren't getting up even though we need to get out of the house. Why can't they do this poo poo on a Saturday or something.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

When he seriously needs to nap he gets super defiant and keeps ramping up the volume until they have to take him from the room, at which point he completely loses control.

For us, it's more sleeping and getting him to bed earlier. Kids average like 11 hours of sleep a night and if they've been deficient for a bit, they need to catch up - generally they wake up at the same times, so putting them down earlier helps.

Note my complaint from a couple of days ago, and last night we did bedtime almost an hour earlier (not really telling him that) and this morning it's all sunshine and flowers.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bedtime is already at 6:30-7PM (earlier when he doesn't nap much) and he gets up at 6AM with typically only one wake up at about 5AM.

There's also the problem of "you can lead a toddler to bed, but you can't make them sleep." Some nights he goes to sleep immediately, others he rolls around or reads until 8:15, and still others he's popping out of his room with bullshit excuses until 9PM.

Talked with his teachers this morning and he didn't even get the coloring pages yesterday because he wasn't being quiet, so no tearing of paper occurred. Kids are unreliable narrators.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

oh wow, yeah, mini-me (4 yo too) is normally bedtime 8p, up around 6:30-7a. If he naps, then bedtime can be all over the place - I'm surprised your dude is still napping on the regular actually.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Do I have mutant children or something. We put our older to bed at 8 but he's not actually asleep until 9:30ish and he's up every day at 6. He's the only one who doesn't nap in school, and hasn't napped since he was 3. The baby is asleep around 8:30 and is awake at either 5 or 7, depending on if he falls back asleep in his 5 o'clock bottle or not. He's a bit more normal I guess though, he'll make it up on those 5 o'clock days with a longer morning nap.

Today they both slept until 8 and it was such a huge freak occurrence. The baby I can explain why though, because

Renegret posted:

There's nothing worse in the world than when your baby smiles at you, and it's 2AM.

except this time he was blowing raspberries.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Renegret posted:

Do I have mutant children or something. We put our older to bed at 8 but he's not actually asleep until 9:30ish and he's up every day at 6. He's the only one who doesn't nap in school, and hasn't napped since he was 3. The baby is asleep around 8:30 and is awake at either 5 or 7, depending on if he falls back asleep in his 5 o'clock bottle or not. He's a bit more normal I guess though, he'll make it up on those 5 o'clock days with a longer morning nap.

Today they both slept until 8 and it was such a huge freak occurrence. The baby I can explain why though, because

except this time he was blowing raspberries.

No, the people who talk about their kids sleeping forever are an anomaly to me too, my kid sleeps at 9:30 and is usually up by 6:30 too. This is normal, kids have all different sleep needs and it's great for people who's kids go to bed early but everyone is different

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hallo spacedog posted:

No, the people who talk about their kids sleeping forever are an anomaly to me too, my kid sleeps at 9:30 and is usually up by 6:30 too. This is normal, kids have all different sleep needs and it's great for people who's kids go to bed early but everyone is different

I wish they would sleep.

I'm so tired.

Normal parents have a little bit of time to themselves after their kids go to bed. Personally, if I could go to sleep before my kids, I would. Sometimes the baby goes down at 8, but it's always an empty victory because he'll usually need a 10PM bottle and at that point why even bother.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lucky bastards. My kid inherited our night owl genes. She won't fall asleep before 1 and then sleeps until noon. It's fine when I work from home but drat if it doesn't make things tough when I need to go in at 6

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My wife is a narcoleptic, myself an insomniac. Our kids are... a heady mixture of the two? It's fun

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Hi Parenting thread! First time parent here. Got what might be a bit of an issue with our two month old son. A heads up that this post is about baby health, brief mention of an emergency c-section, and worries about SIDS if you'd rather not read that.

TL;DR: Yesterday and today, our 2 month old son has had moments where he is borderline impossible to wake; when researching this, found there may be a genetic link between not being easy to rouse from sleep and SIDS; am now really worried.

After six long years of trying (and finally getting help over the finishing line from Japan's incredibly affordable IVF treatments) my wife and I welcomed our little lad Rowan into the world two months ago. His entry into the world was a little dicey: waters broke two and a half weeks early and he ended up having to be delivered via emergency c-section because his unbilical chord was wrapped around his throat and mom's contractions meant his heart rate would drop dangerously low. Surgery was fine though and both he and mom recovered quickly. Since then, for two months it has seemed like he is the most perfect child one could hope for: rarely cries outside of when he is hungry and I can't provide a bottle quick enough; settles quickly when given back to mom for a bit if he is upset; sleeps calmly for extended periods of time in his crib (we had some issues early on with him getting turned onto his side, but always corrected it and it has disappeared); drinks easily from both breast and bottle; is alert and looking around when not asleep (everyone always seems a little surprized at how he is able to push himself up from chest contact and be turning his head to "look" this way and that) , etc. You name it, we've probably had the best experience of it.

Until last night. Last night, after a feed and a little bit of a contact nap on mom (mom awake and alert at all times), he would not wake from sleep and was completely limp/floppy. He was breathing fine, and reacting to stimuli some (e.g. foot would move away from strokes on the sole, would grunt or frown at some other stimuli), but would not wake up. We tried everything we could think of: splashes of cold water, rubbing his chest, jiggling him, light (and less than light) pinches on his earlobe, etc.. Nothing. One frantic phone call to emergency services and ambulance ride to ER later, he eventually woke up and started crying when the hospital started to take blood from him. After which he was perfecrly fine. The bloods came back all clear and an x-ray they did was fine as well. Hospital said that there was no indication that anything was wrong with him so just keep an eye on him and take him to a clinic if it happens again (this was all happening out of clinic hours).

Cue today, and everything seems fine. Until it happens again in the afternoon. I had him on my chest (again, awake and alert) since he was fussing in his crib and his mom was trying to nap (we live in a tiny Japanese apartment, so all our rooms are literally right next to each other) and he would not wake, even when I was changing his daiper which he usually is not a fan of. Again, he was breathing and responsive to stimuli - more so than yesterday - but this time was not completely floppy/limp. But he would not rouse from sleep despite trying all of what we did yesterday and even briefly placing a frozen bag of breat milk against his chest, hoping the cold would shock him out of it. Eventually, we did get him to rouse and he had a good cry and all was normal since then, but it took a lot to get him up.

What with this being our first (and probably only) child, I have no idea if being this hard to rouse is normal or not. It certainly doesn't feel like it though. Like a fool, I tried to do some research (i.e. googling) and what quickly came up was that there may be a genetic link in children (low levels of an enzyme butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) in blood at birth) between finding it difficult to wake up and SIDS. So of course now we're trying not to freak out about this but can't help but look back at the past two months and start to question things. Like, are we just lucky that he is an amazing sleeper who 8 times out of 10 will settle down in his crib and sleep solidly for a long/reasonable time before waking to feed and chill out, or is this a symptom of him finding it difficult to wake up and thus putting him at greater risk?

We already do everything we can to limit the risks. We take shifts at night so one of us is always awake and in the room checking in with him; he sleeps in a crib on a firm crib matress with no soft extras in there with him; he is always on his back when asleep in the crib; he always has a paci when he goes down to sleep but we don't force him to keep it in his mouth; neither of us smoke; mom doesn't drink alcohol at all and I rarely have even a single beer now that he's here since Japan has a zero tolerance drinking and driving policy; we try our best to keep the room cool (difficult in Okinawa!) and generate good air flow; etc etc. But we can't help but be kind of freaked out about it right now. We have an appointment at his pediactric clinic tomorrow to go over our concerns but I was just hoping that the collective goon experience would be able to either reassure or advise us about this! Obviously our first thing is to really reduce the amount of time he is contact napping on either of us, but apart from that we are at a loss.

Sorry to have such a monster of a first post here. We have no family in Japan with us and - while my wife has a discord group she gets a load of support from - I don't really know where else I can turn to for advice/ideas/support.

Also apologies for the extensive use of parenthesis and semi-colons! Thoughts are complicated and so is getting them down into text!

Calexio fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 27, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Could you buy something like the Owlet Baby Sat to monitor heart rate and blood oxygen?

Not really a solution, but could help monitor him when you two inevitably need to sleep or look away, and definitely learn infant CPR and continue follow up with pediatrician about the non waking episodes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The downside with the baby monitors is that you will inevitably think the baby is dead when they have a false alert. Just be very prepared for that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter asked for "a huggy" from me, which my son thought was "cookie" and oh my God he won't let it go. WE DON'T. HAVE. COOKIES.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

We let the 1 year old cry it out exactly 1 time a month ago and after that she got the message. Barring sickness, she’s able to get herself back to sleep. It was a lovely night, but the result was really magical. This is like the 4th week of sleeping through the night (730 to 630) and we still have some anxiety about if she’ll wake up or not.

Also! Dont do an albuterol inhaler session at bedtime. My kid was running circles in her room 30 min past bedtime and then still coughed for another 20 min laying down before falling asleep.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Calexio posted:

What with this being our first (and probably only) child, I have no idea if being this hard to rouse is normal or not. It certainly doesn't feel like it though.

I feel like this is a common pattern of thought in new parents -- this might be nothing, it might be something deadly, we'd better act on it than to be sorry we didn't act. It's the sensible thing to do, right? I don't think you're overreacting by taking the ambulance etc, because that did certainly warrant a hospital visit IMO.

Something just came to mind, though: A friend who did basically the same trip to the ER (except they took a cab, IIRC). They had had a bit of a scare at birth because mother and baby both caught some infection that required an extended stay and heavy antibiotics. And around two months old, they finally felt like they had the hang of breastfeeding, sleep was starting to get more regular, and then this. The baby was so heavily asleep they couldn't rouse him, which they'd never seen before.

So, the mother and baby were admitted to the pediatric E.R. overnight, for monitoring. They took all manner of tests, including blood draws. Eventually baby woke up, was hungry, then went right back to the same heavy sleep! Further monitoring. Come morning, doctor is doing the rounds, including the "as seen on Scrubs" twelve or so interns and residents. Head doctor made a big show out of explaining to everyone how this baby had the most intense "food coma" he had ever seen. The reason he was unable to rouse was simply that he was so full, and tired, and nothing seemed to actually be wrong at all. They were discharged with a clean bill of health soon after that.

So, I'm not going to say based on that, that your baby is fine. There may be other things at play. But consider whether it was the same for you, that your baby was suddenly able to eat larger portions and just felt so full and tired compared to what he was used to?

Calexio posted:

Like a fool, I tried to do some research (i.e. googling) and what quickly came up was that there may be a genetic link in children (low levels of an enzyme butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) in blood at birth) between finding it difficult to wake up and SIDS. So of course now we're trying not to freak out about this but can't help but look back at the past two months and start to question things. Like, are we just lucky that he is an amazing sleeper who 8 times out of 10 will settle down in his crib and sleep solidly for a long/reasonable time before waking to feed and chill out, or is this a symptom of him finding it difficult to wake up and thus putting him at greater risk?
I don't fault anyone for googling at a time like that, but (as you probably figured out already) there are no answers for your particular case in a web search. I'd advise taking all the usual precautions and trusting the statistics. You're already doing everything right: Sleep on flat surface, on back, no loose objects, don't smoke, don't share a bed, use a pacifier if he will take one. Beyond the official advice, there is no (statistically proven) measure you can take to improve the odds, so it's in the hands of whatever higher power you believe in.

Following up with your own pediatrician is the best way forward, and keep your spirits up. It's easy to work yourself up a lot when your baby's health is on the line, but it seems very possible that your are just lucky to have a good sleeper. If you guys are taking shifts sleeping, I can't imagine you are both getting enough sleep.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 27, 2024

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

space uncle posted:

Could you buy something like the Owlet Baby Sat to monitor heart rate and blood oxygen?

Not really a solution, but could help monitor him when you two inevitably need to sleep or look away, and definitely learn infant CPR and continue follow up with pediatrician about the non waking episodes.

That's a possibility! Although knowing me it may just be another thing to fret over. Speaking of fretting, I am looking to go back to my mental health doc and review my anxiety meds.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So, I'm not going to say based on that, that your baby is fine. There may be other things at play. But consider whether it was the same for you, that your baby was suddenly able to eat larger portions and just felt so full and tired compared to what he was used to?

He has recently stepped up his feeding game and he had eaten an astonishing amount over the course of the day. We hadn't really clocked how much - it was just a case of "Oh, you're still hungry? Okay then!" and log it throughout the day - until we were talking to the nurse at the hospital and checked the app we use to log everything and saw that it was the most he's ever drunk in a day (per the volume of expressed breast milk taken from a bottle on top of feeds from mom) by a good 1.5x more than his previous highest.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't fault anyone for googling at a time like that, but (as you probably figured out already) there are no answers for your particular case in a web search. I'd advise taking all the usual precautions and trusting the statistics. You're already doing everything right: Sleep on flat surface, on back, no loose objects, don't smoke, don't share a bed, use a pacifier if he will take one. Beyond the official advice, there is no (statistically proven) measure you can take to improve the odds, so it's in the hands of whatever higher power you believe in.

Following up with your own pediatrician is the best way forward, and keep your spirits up. It's easy to work yourself up a lot when your baby's health is on the line, but it seems very possible that your are just lucky to have a good sleeper. If you guys are taking shifts sleeping, I can't imagine you are both getting enough sleep.

Thank you. It's good to have an external point of view remind us that yes, we are doing all we can. Just got to trust and hope!

As for the sleep, we do what we can. I take a two hour shift 10pm to 12am (and usually grab a quick nap sometime between 8pm and 9:00pm), my wife does 12am to 4am, then I do 4am to 6:30am on my workdays, or as long as she can get until she needs to pump on my days off. Maternity leave in Japan is pretty good so she's not working at the moment but lord knows being on baby duty all day is not a vacation. Throughout the day when we're both home. we cover each other for whatever naps we need and can get in.

In lighter news, recently he let out a huge burp after feeding and when I said, "Whoa buddy, that was a good one!" he looked up at me and literally gave a thumbs up. Just a marvelous concidental coming together of various baby functions and random body movements. I'm also reading to him although as we don't have any baby books just yet, and since he can't understand it anyway, our current book is The Fisherman by John Langan. Of course any time he smiles while reading together is definitely an early sign he's going to be a horror head like his dad when he grows up, and absolutely not that he has just done a massive wee.

EDIT: Also, regarding infant CPR - we both work in the same school which has yearly CPR training that includes infant and baby CPR so no worries there, although I am definitely going to review it now myself.

Calexio fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 27, 2024

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Our little dude got a balloon for the first time the other day and has been waddling around holding on to it for near 24 hours. He has also been using it as a pillow and leaning on it every so often. There is a ticking time bomb in my house and I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't really have much to add re: heavy sleeping except that it happened once to our oldest as well when she was still quite young. It never happened again though.