Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Brawnfire posted:

There's something magical about holiday breaks. My wife got laryngitis and lost her voice THURSDAY NIGHT.

I tested positive for COVID Christmas morning 2021. Was at my parents' and had been feeling a little rough all week but kept testing negative and then bam! Cue a special Christmas trip to get a PCR test for me and the evacuation of my brother and his severely asthmatic wife ASAP to travel three hours back to a home with nothing prepared for Christmas.

Hope that everyone's Easter illnesses pass as quickly and easily as possible!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

:discourse:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

poo poo welp, my son fell asleep on the way home from the party and won't wake up. So RIP tonight's adult time after bedtime

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.
I became a mommy this morning at 1:32 AM, and I couldn’t have had a better birth. I had a scheduled induction because of type 2 diabetes, and I was really expecting a long process with a worry that it wouldn’t work and end in a c-section. Instead, I only had to take 2 out of 3 doses of the misoprostol, skipped right past starting pitocin because my water broke as the nurse was going to turn it on, felt WONDERFUL once I got my epidural after going from 3 cm to 7 cm dilated in 2 hours, and only pushed for 12 minutes. From start to finish, it took 15 hours.

Now we are struggling with both me and baby learning how to breastfeed, but he is so cute and I love him and I’m happy he’s finally on the outside. :)

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I wish I loved anything as much as my kid loves eating chapstick.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

kazz posted:

I became a mommy this morning at 1:32 AM, and I couldn’t have had a better birth. I had a scheduled induction because of type 2 diabetes, and I was really expecting a long process with a worry that it wouldn’t work and end in a c-section. Instead, I only had to take 2 out of 3 doses of the misoprostol, skipped right past starting pitocin because my water broke as the nurse was going to turn it on, felt WONDERFUL once I got my epidural after going from 3 cm to 7 cm dilated in 2 hours, and only pushed for 12 minutes. From start to finish, it took 15 hours.

Now we are struggling with both me and baby learning how to breastfeed, but he is so cute and I love him and I’m happy he’s finally on the outside. :)

Congratulations! Welcome to the parenting world.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

poo poo welp, my son fell asleep on the way home from the party and won't wake up. So RIP tonight's adult time after bedtime

Kid slept until four AM.

Anyhow, we're now at the stage of Easter where the excitement has faltered and my daughter is casually disparaging the contents of her basket which had been amazing just an hour ago

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How do I get my kid to not feel like the big playpen and pack n play is a jail cell?

We've had the PnP on the higher setting for a long rear end time (kid's 17 months now), but he's figured out how to sit and now likes to look over the ledge of the thing, so we're worried he's going to fall over. Kinda sucks but really now it's better for him because I figure he can transition to the big rear end playpen, and we can have half of it be a play area and the other half for naps or whatever.

He doesn't see it that way all the time. Sometimes he's chill but after a while I feel like he gets a bit scared of it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Snuck out the side door while "doing laundry" and hid eggs for a hunt. Give my wife a sly thumbs-up on the way back in.

"Did you do it?" She says.

"Do what!?" Says my daughter.

So much for subtlety.

"The laundry, of course" :mad:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kid was excited about getting peeps until he tasted one.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Had a huge Easter brunch with an egg hunt and a Bloody Mary (for the adults).

Me and the toddler are sleepy so we all climb into his bed for nap time. I’ve got the dog, the kid, and I immediately crash. I’m so tired. All three of us are cuddled up and it’s so cozy. I keep thinking how nice this is as I drift off.

He wakes me up ten minutes later from the deepest sleep of my life. I’m drooling.

“Dad I pooped. Change me. I’m not gonna go back to sleep.”

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Brawnfire posted:

Snuck out the side door while "doing laundry" and hid eggs for a hunt. Give my wife a sly thumbs-up on the way back in.

"Did you do it?" She says.

"Do what!?" Says my daughter.

So much for subtlety.

"The laundry, of course" :mad:

“I’m gonna go downstairs to do the EB stuff”

kid: “What’s EB?”

“It just means Extra Boring”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shifty Pony posted:

Kid was excited about getting peeps until he tasted one.

Every generation has to learn this

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm a grown rear end adult and I still learn that lesson the hard way every year.

This time, it'll be different

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The key to a happy life, especially as a parent, is to develop a taste for the things that other people hate. I love peeps, so everyone gives me theirs.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

lifg posted:

The key to a happy life, especially as a parent, is to develop a taste for the things that other people hate. I love peeps, so everyone gives me theirs.

Corner brownie piece

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Renegret posted:

Corner brownie piece

But that’s legit the best piece.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dobbs_Head posted:

But that’s legit the best piece.

I mean, I know that.

My whole family has terrible food opinions and I'm going to capitalize on it when I can.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Peeps has a variety of flavors now that can make them somewhat bearable. My wife loves all kinds of Peeps, and I question our marriage every Easter.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

space uncle posted:

“Dad I pooped. Change me. I’m not gonna go back to sleep.”

Parenting Megathread: Dad I pooped. Change me. I’m not gonna go back to sleep.

Maybe too long? I can't remember the max

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
On that note, we tried oatmeal with the baby today. He guzzled it down then yelled when we were all done and wouldn't give him more. So maybe, juuuuust maybe, I'll have at least one kid who eats.

...Then he broke out in a rash and we suspect he's allergic to oatmeal of all fuckin things.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

hannibal posted:

Parenting Megathread: Dad I pooped. Change me. I’m not gonna go back to sleep.

Maybe too long? I can't remember the max

Parenting Megathread: Change me. I’m not gonna go back to sleep.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Dear three year old, I know you now like opening your door to issue your demands but I insist that you (1) do not open the door in a way that makes it sound like a stereotypical spooky door creak sound effect (2) do this at 3 AM while I happen to be going to the bathroom.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Anybody have any good resources on sleep training our first baby?

We hosed up our first kid real bad regarding sleep training. I don't want to repeat the same mistakes with #2 but I have no fuckin idea what I'm doing here. I really, really would prefer not to cry it out if it can be helped though.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Renegret posted:

We hosed up our first kid real bad regarding sleep training. I don't want to repeat the same mistakes with #2 but I have no fuckin idea what I'm doing here. I really, really would prefer not to cry it out if it can be helped though.

I’m not going to say what anyone should or shouldn’t do, but in my experience cry it out is what works best—and avoiding that route at all costs can result in years of dreadful nighttime routine.

Some kids don’t need much training, some kids need more, but CIO (or extinction/ferber for more gentle variants) generally just works if the parents can tolerate it. Not everyone can and I get that.

My wife and I made a pact that we would run the household and any children we had wouldn’t. Of course this ended up being a huge LOL in practice, but I’ll be damned if we didn’t go hard on sleep training. As a result our kid is asleep every night from 7p to 7a and I think I’d pray for death if every night was World War 3.

Edit: here’s a good article on Ferber, which might be a good compromise for parents who want to avoid strictly crying it out. https://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/basics/the-ferber-method-explained/

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 1, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Renegret posted:

We did a Ferber method at age 6 months when kiddo was moved from bassinet in our room to crib in his own room:

https://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/basics/the-ferber-method-explained/

The exact timings can vary but you’re just going back in at predetermined intervals to calm the kid down. This worked for us in 1-2 weeks and then the kid was a fantastic sleeper until about 2.5 years old where we had a big regression.

Ultimately ended up using “cry it out” at age 3 because I was losing my poo poo and now he’s sleeping through the night again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think one of the problems we're having is that he's so tiny, and he's not really feeding that well. So as a result, he's still getting up for bottles 2-3 times a night and only taking 3 oz of formula during a time when he should be approaching only waking once and sucking down 5oz. I've got this kid to the point where I can just lay him down and he'll go to sleep with just my hand on his chest, but there's no self soothing going on. So when he randomly wakes up in the night, I need to put my hand back on his chest. If this happens 3 times a night, along with another 3 times for actual feedings, I'm no longer sleeping.

There was a time when he was around 3 months that things were on the up and up, we were only doing one nighttime feeding and he even slept the entire night two times. Then suddenly he started regressing a little bit, and when he got sick everything went in the dump.

I'm mentally preparing myself to just let him cry it out but, ugh.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
We did 12 hours by 12 weeks that some goon recommended ages ago. It focuses more in getting them on a feeding schedule and then working on weaning them off overnight to sleep. Overall it worked and we never had to make him cry it out but the book is criminally vague if you are breastfeeding, we ended up having to do lots of weighted feeds to figure out if we were getting him chonked up before bed. Also doing up the sleeping spaces with blackout curtains and noise machines made a huge difference. We'll probably do it again for kid #2 because we had him sleeping through the night by about 14 weeks.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Renegret posted:

My baby isn’t here for a few months but I really like this book and it’s written by a pediatrician with 7 kids:

https://www.amazon.com/Raising-Good-Parents-Gregory-Gordon/dp/1936634287

It’s Q and A style with 1-4 paragraph answers organized by baby’s age. Easy to read five minutes at a time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My experience with two kids who had drastically different sleeps as babies is sometimes, no matter what you do, your kids are going to do their thing with sleep and one method won't work on another. Nothing remotely close to CIO worked on our first (who ended up being AuADHD). Our second was and still is the best sleeper with minimal intervention to get them to sleep.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah just have a baby that sleeps easy.

I think we did like 2 nights of cry it out and he got it.

For our son at least I think any of the more permissive methods would have been crueller. He would always flip his poo poo if we went back in to calm him and leave again. Like I think his impression was we were taunting him or something. For him it was just better to cut off contact. Like when he wakes up again after nap/sleep we can play, but when you’re in your crib it’s sleep time baby, and you’ve got to deal with that whether you like it or not.

But I think some babies are the opposite so :shrug:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Kiddo has surgery this week. Putting aside the dread of the procedure and recovery, which is going to suck even in the best case scenario since it’s a night+ in the hospital, what’s been hard is having to keep a 3yo healthy for a month because any sickness would delay our scheduled surgery date. It feels like 2020 in our house and everyone is going stir crazy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think my main obstacle with cry it out is figuring out when he's pissed off vs. when he's hungry. He doesn't eat enough during the day so he still needs night feedings. However I did 3 night feedings with him last night at perfect 3 hour intervals, he's supposed to take 5oz in a feeding and he took 3, 4, and 3. So clearly he could've been more hungry? Probably not ready for a bottle? But I couldn't tell. He's also doing this grazing bullshit during the day too so we can't figure it out.

I'm a heavy sleeper so there's a little accidental cry it out going on because I don't wake up until he gets really pissed off. Then he has to wait while the bottle warms, and I'm usually too cranky to bother picking him up so I do a quick diaper change and leave him there screaming until I'm ready.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Kiddo has surgery this week. Putting aside the dread of the procedure and recovery, which is going to suck even in the best case scenario since it’s a night+ in the hospital, what’s been hard is having to keep a 3yo healthy for a month because any sickness would delay our scheduled surgery date. It feels like 2020 in our house and everyone is going stir crazy.

In the past two months, we haven't had someone not be sick for more than 3 days straight. I can't imagine. Good luck.

We had kiddo's tonsil's out at 3 years old and I do have to say, it's not so bad. The anticipation was far worse than actually going through with it. You're usually focused in the moment and constantly pushing forward so there's little time to be worried. Then suddenly he's fine and back to normal. The recovery is only bad for the first 24 hours. The Motrin + Tylenol combo is incredible.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Renegret posted:

I think my main obstacle with cry it out is figuring out when he's pissed off vs. when he's hungry. He doesn't eat enough during the day so he still needs night feedings. However I did 3 night feedings with him last night at perfect 3 hour intervals, he's supposed to take 5oz in a feeding and he took 3, 4, and 3. So clearly he could've been more hungry? Probably not ready for a bottle? But I couldn't tell. He's also doing this grazing bullshit during the day too so we can't figure it out.

I'm a heavy sleeper so there's a little accidental cry it out going on because I don't wake up until he gets really pissed off. Then he has to wait while the bottle warms, and I'm usually too cranky to bother picking him up so I do a quick diaper change and leave him there screaming until I'm ready.

In the past two months, we haven't had someone not be sick for more than 3 days straight. I can't imagine. Good luck.

We had kiddo's tonsil's out at 3 years old and I do have to say, it's not so bad. The anticipation was far worse than actually going through with it. You're usually focused in the moment and constantly pushing forward so there's little time to be worried. Then suddenly he's fine and back to normal. The recovery is only bad for the first 24 hours. The Motrin + Tylenol combo is incredible.

Part of the sleep training will also train him to eat more during the day.

Adding the baby cereal to the milk/formula to the final feeding of the night also helps a lot too. I think we started that at 4/5 months, whenever the pediatrician said it was OK. Keeps them full longer.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Renegret posted:

I'm in a similar boat re: heavy sleeping and what really, really helped us was establishing a schedule. Feeding on a set schedule helped us a lot as far as making sure kiddo got all her milk, and it also helped with our sleep since we could just set an alarm for the middle of the night feedings.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

kazz posted:

congratulations!

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

I'm in a similar boat re: heavy sleeping and what really, really helped us was establishing a schedule. Feeding on a set schedule helped us a lot as far as making sure kiddo got all her milk, and it also helped with our sleep since we could just set an alarm for the middle of the night feedings.

Oh, and if you have another adult in the picture absolutely tag team the nighttime feedings. If you're feeding every 3 hours there's a HUGE difference between waking up every three hours and getting a solid six because someone else picks up that middle feed.

I can not emphasize enough just how much better my life got when I started getting six solid rather than 9 broken up into 2 hour chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kazz posted:

Congrats! It is pretty hard at first but then it at least gets hard in new and different ways later. Still worth it!