Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That is nice of the bees!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG3 got in to our first choice daycare!!!

Such a good feeling. I was convinced we wouldn’t get into a public one, I just laughed like an idiot when we got the response and it had one listed. Such a weight off for both of us.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

Today was a record: Twenty-five minutes pushing my son on the swing. And I still had to be the one to call it.

He talked non-stop the entire time. It's nice of the bees to make honey. Robins are a type of bird, birds sound like tweet tweet! Butterflies are yellow and white and black and-- There's a plane in the sky leaving a white trail! I love daddy, and mommy, and [sister]! Mommy's at... work! [Sister] is at... school? I went with mommy to drop off [sister] at school! We went to Wegmans! We have ice cream inside!

During the absolute low point of my fitness level, I woke up with sore pecs from pushing my kid on the swing...

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Toddler: Daddy, listen to me.
Me: Yes? I'm listening.
Toddler: <baby sister's name> is old, so we need to buy a new <baby sister's name> with a white face.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Spoggerific posted:

Toddler: Daddy, listen to me.
Me: Yes? I'm listening.
Toddler: <baby sister's name> is old, so we need to buy a new <baby sister's name> with a white face.

:catstare:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
At the dinner table last night, talking about her brothers’ upcoming birthday party, my daughter made the observation that it’s usually moms that plan birthday parties.

She then reached over, patted me on the shoulder, and went “It’s okay daddy, we don’t think any less of you.”

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Toddler has had two weird diarrhea episodes at daycare now, a week apart. First time was a week ago, he pooped four times in a row hard enough to need a full change every time. I picked him up, he stayed home the next four days, no diarrhea at all during. Like, single weird mucus-y poo on Sunday but otherwise all normal. Today I got a call that it happened again, he's pooped a million times in a row and it's all loose and yellow. They've eaten different things on both days (pasta with chicken in tomato sauce and fish soup), and besides, the pooping started before lunch today. The only same thing is milk and wheat I guess, but he has yoghurt and milk everyday at home also, and they have lactose free milk in daycare by default. He's been happy and himself otherwise.

Paediatrician said said it's probably just immature guts/random bug and I guess? It's just weird. I read somewhere that teething might cause diarrhea as well, anyone have any experience with that?

Wow, never thought I'd write so much about someone making GBS threads but here we are.

Doll House Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 24, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not a doctor but I agree with yours, probably some aggressive strain of norovirus or similar that the kid hasn't been exposed to before. Almost certainly picked it up from daycare. 4-7 days isn't uncommon. If your doc said something about plenty of fluids I'd pay close attention to that

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

But they've both continued barely for a day. Like the first time it happened he was fine the same evening, and had been fine in the morning. Is 5 hour gastro a thing? We had noro in January and that was a three day event for all of us.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Doll House Ghost posted:

But they've both continued barely for a day. Like the first time it happened he was fine the same evening, and had been fine in the morning. Is 5 hour gastro a thing? We had noro in January and that was a three day event for all of us.

I've certainly seen norovirus last less than 12h in my kid. I mean, with the vomiting stopping within 12h or so, even. But then the kid didn't have diarrhoea that time, just the vomiting. And she was tired and lethargic for longer than that, and of course we kept her home for the full 48h quarantine.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Doll House Ghost posted:

Parenting Megathread: never thought I'd write so much about someone making GBS threads but here we are.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dismas posted:

My kid only ever wants me to draw a particular scene from one of the Frog and Toad books where Toad is covered in ice cream and Frog is hiding behind a rock. Whenever I have my computer or iPad out (eg when I am working), she asks me to draw it. I have so many variations on the drawing saved.

This is also my kid's favorite Frog and Toad story.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Doll House Ghost posted:

I picked him up, he stayed home the next four days,
Anecdotally, four days out of daycare is enough for whatever bug was passing around to evolve into the new super bug in your absence.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Alterian posted:

This is also my kid's favorite Frog and Toad story.

"dad *giggle giggle* can you draw *giggle* toad COVERED *giggle* in STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM *giggle giggle giggle*"

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Hyperspecific complaint: holy poo poo both babies, when I hand you food, please don’t eat the exact wrong part of it and then swear it off forever from that one bite. This happens constantly when I give my 3 year old pizza and she turns it around and bites the crust. It happened just now with a croissant, where the 1 year old took a nibble on the very tippy end that was crispier than 99% of it.

It’s so frustrating!!!!!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Well stands to reason that if they don't like the best parts, then they won't like the rest :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

meanolmrcloud posted:

Hyperspecific complaint: holy poo poo both babies, when I hand you food, please don’t eat the exact wrong part of it and then swear it off forever from that one bite. This happens constantly when I give my 3 year old pizza and she turns it around and bites the crust. It happened just now with a croissant, where the 1 year old took a nibble on the very tippy end that was crispier than 99% of it.

It’s so frustrating!!!!!

My son was like this with strawberries until I finally just started cutting them for him. He'd turn it around, hold the red part in his palm, and bite deep into the stem.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I keep forgetting that I'm almost forty, and my body can't handle poo poo like it used to. Threw my back out while playing with the kids tonight (I was their rocket ship launch pad and was tossing them into the air to land on the bed).

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I would have launched an extensive nutrition overhaul and workout regiment a year before we even started trying to have a baby if I knew how goddamn tiring playtime was going to be.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
3 year old has hfm :tif:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do what I did, and as soon as their fever passes, take them to the aquarium so everyone else has to see it too

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dismas posted:

"dad *giggle giggle* can you draw *giggle* toad COVERED *giggle* in STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM *giggle giggle giggle*"

Maybe they are future goons. It does have the phrase Something Awful in it

His second favorite story is The Button.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Toddler has a chest cold, great, cool, get her some more medicine yesterday after daycare, fine.

but for the first time she's absolutely rejected taking any medicine, and it led to absolute nuclear meltdowns last night and this morning (by who? Yes!)

[edit] Update - separated the two medicines (one a cough syrup, one a powder) and the syrup was fine (as always). tried to hide the powder in a jelly mix that I picked up at the store on the way home, she didn't even want it in that form.

so the toddler indicates I should eat it instead. Ok, might as well give it a try...

ah.

think you have a point there, little one :hmmyes:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 25, 2024

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That Japanese powder sucks rear end, I don't blame her one bit

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is there some magic cream to quickly heal a scratch on an infant’s scalp? Our 4.5 month old scratches the poo poo out himself and is constantly breaking the scab / waking himself up

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Was it kanpo (traditional Chinese medicine, but JAPANESE〜), or was it normal medicine in a powder form? I can't stand the taste of kanpo, but the powders we've gotten for our kids have all been normal medicine and all fairly sweet.for pediatric medication powders, I think they mix it up in the pharmacy, so there's probably a lot of variation in taste.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

nachos posted:

Is there some magic cream to quickly heal a scratch on an infant’s scalp? Our 4.5 month old scratches the poo poo out himself and is constantly breaking the scab / waking himself up

Some kind of first aid cream - Savlon, Soov, Bepanthen, etc would do. Pop a band aid on to stop him reopening it.

If you can get mittens on him for sleep time, that could help too, but as usual, individual results may differ.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wife just got over whatever upper respiratory thing she had, but now I have it. Older was up all night throwing up. Baby has a runny nose.

As a family, we've not had at least one person sick since February. I'm so over this, this is more than just normal daycare bullshit

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

Was it kanpo (traditional Chinese medicine, but JAPANESE〜), or was it normal medicine in a powder form?

Medicine in powder form, it’s not in a kanpo package. We’ve had powders before without problem (including antibiotics) but this one tastes awful and has her checking juice cups like she’s afraid of an assassination attempt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elissimpark posted:

Some kind of first aid cream - Savlon, Soov, Bepanthen, etc would do. Pop a band aid on to stop him reopening it.

If you can get mittens on him for sleep time, that could help too, but as usual, individual results may differ.

Our 3.5 month old scratches the poo poo out of his face with his little claws so we have had good success with sleep mittens, or having him sleep in a onesie that has the little fold over sleeves to cover his hands. The latter is a lot easier.

Note that you're not supposed to use things with neosporin and similar antibiotics on babies.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We went to a family wedding, then had large Passover ritual dinners, and now all three of us, plus the elder daughter who lives on her own, have fevers and ear infections. Ugh. Interviewing possible sick care nannies this morning.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
3 year olds first night with hfm: fuckin terrible

3 year old the next morning: happy, energetic, and claims to feel fine with a returned appetite

:dafuq:

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My kid woke up this morning with a crusted over, bloodshot eye. After some hot compress and allergy medicine she’s almost without symptoms within an hour. Fresh humans are so amazing.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
They always recover fast enough to be bouncing off the walls again right as you start feeling sick from whatever it was they had.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My kid got a cold last Thursday and was mostly fine, still a little snotty.

On Sunday my wife and I started symptoms so we’re about 3 days behind him. We’ve been absolutely destroyed by this common cold and are coughing, sneezing, sleeping. We gave him to Grandma for a night (hopefully she doesn’t get it) and then slept the entire time.

It’s crazy how much energy he has and we do not.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*toaster dings*

Son: Your bagel's ready!
Me: Thanks! *gets bagel*
Son: *watches me bite into bagel* Is good?
Me: yeah, it's good
Son: You wan go outside?
Me: wh- not... Not at the moment?
Son: *visibly crushed*

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

Doll House Ghost posted:

Toddler has had two weird diarrhea episodes at daycare now, a week apart. First time was a week ago, he pooped four times in a row hard enough to need a full change every time. I picked him up, he stayed home the next four days, no diarrhea at all during. Like, single weird mucus-y poo on Sunday but otherwise all normal. Today I got a call that it happened again, he's pooped a million times in a row and it's all loose and yellow. They've eaten different things on both days (pasta with chicken in tomato sauce and fish soup), and besides, the pooping started before lunch today. The only same thing is milk and wheat I guess, but he has yoghurt and milk everyday at home also, and they have lactose free milk in daycare by default. He's been happy and himself otherwise.

Paediatrician said said it's probably just immature guts/random bug and I guess? It's just weird. I read somewhere that teething might cause diarrhea as well, anyone have any experience with that?

Wow, never thought I'd write so much about someone making GBS threads but here we are.

FWIW my daughter gets nasty diarrhea that makes her bottom turn red and rashy in ~1 minute flat every single time she's teething...

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Took about 1 day of re-entering the world after our post-op check for the 3yo to get a random fever. It’s fine and expected, but we’re on edge because a fever could mean UTI which means something went wrong with the surgery and that’s more medical stuff and :kingsley:

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We’ve been going to Hawaii to visit my husband’s family since my daughter was 18 months. She’s 4 now. We just got back today from a trip there.

Bring tons of snacks. We bring 2 gallon bags of snacks for one-way. Snacks are honestly one of the best ways to keep them busy.

I also suggest lots of brand new toys and books. I’m a big fan of Melissa & Doug Water Wow books. They come with paint brushes and you fill the brushes with water and they can paint the pages.

Melissa & Doug also make Thea reusable puffy sticker packs/activity books that are great for the plane.

Aside from the Aquarium and Zoo
Are there any hikes you recommend? I've got a 1.5 year old that is generally game for mild hikes. Pillbox apparently is recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nachos posted:

I wish. Ours has eczema and we’ve sometimes resorted to putting socks on his hands at night.