Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Came home with newborn yesterday, three year old is very taken with her. Everything going smoothly today until three year old starts to vomit every half hour. Can only hope it's a stomach bug and nothing contagious...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Kid turned 2 last month and we started on potty training shortly after his birthday. It's been....fine, but I feel like progress has flatlined after that first 7-10 days. Kid knows that butt on toilet means to pee or poop, but four weeks into training he doesn't seem to fully understand the feeling of having to go. Moreover, he howls and screams most times when we sit him on the toilet even when he very clearly has to go, or will protest about how he doesn't need the potty when he is actively pissing and/or making GBS threads. Does that sound within the boundaries of "normal" potty training behavior or have I missed some vital step along the way?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Kid 1 was 2 weeks done and no more accidents.

Kid 2 who we started at the same age, with the same strategy (thanks oh crap!) took almost a full year to figure out when to listen to their body. We just had many months of using a timer and having a potty sit every 90 min. They definitely protested that they had to pee while actively peeing in their pants.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
A sunny day at the park...

Daughter: "Nobody will play with me."
Me: "Nobody's going to invite you, sweetie. Go up and ask them. Just walk up and say hi, and then you can play in the sandbox with them."
Daughter listens, goes up to the two kids in the sandbox.
Daughter: "Can I play with you?"
Other Kids: "No. Go away."

:wtc:

I was not expecting that outcome and had no other grand advice prepared. :lol:

I swear, the poor girl has terrible luck with kids in public. Half the time they speak zero english and just stare at her (the most understandable option - heavily hispanic town and she is not), sometimes they just refuse to play outright, and it also blows my mind what words 4-5 yr olds know these days. "Want to play hide and seek?" "gently caress you." Like, WHAT?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

C-Euro posted:

Kid turned 2 last month and we started on potty training shortly after his birthday. It's been....fine, but I feel like progress has flatlined after that first 7-10 days. Kid knows that butt on toilet means to pee or poop, but four weeks into training he doesn't seem to fully understand the feeling of having to go. Moreover, he howls and screams most times when we sit him on the toilet even when he very clearly has to go, or will protest about how he doesn't need the potty when he is actively pissing and/or making GBS threads. Does that sound within the boundaries of "normal" potty training behavior or have I missed some vital step along the way?

That’s completely normal. Keep trying it off and on. We had the same experience at 2 and my guy was doing similar stuff until about a month ago, at age 3 + 3 months.

Even now after wearing underwear to school every day for a month, staying dry consistently, and pooping in the potty he still occasionally gets cranky with me when he needs to go.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My son is nearly 3.5 and potty training continues to be a nightmare. He just will not let us know before he pees or poops, only after :(

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

We started potty training at 2.75 and in 3 days we have mastered the step of "sitting down in the potty and I'll go pee." We have not mastering anything about "also not going in the diaper" and "telling us when you need to go" and "not grabbing a table for leverage when you poop standing up"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My daughter is 2.5 and we started potty training a couple weeks ago. My biggest complaint this week is that she has figured it out too well, and I have to wipe her every 20 minutes and wash out 10ml of urine.

Honestly, she just flipped the switch in her head and got the assignment. She's super smart, which both makes me proud and terrified of her. She started pushing stools around to get on the countertops at 16 months.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Big chunks of potty training are a physical development thing. Like if the kid doesn’t have the development to feel they have to go, and also control it, there’s nothing you can do to train it into them? And every kid is different. My daughter understood ‘sit on the potty and pee/poop’ at 2, but didn’t understand the ‘feel the need to pee -> don’t actually pee your pants -> go to the potty and NOW pee’ pipeline until she was 4. She just physically couldn’t do it? So we had pee accidents all the time until some wiring grew in and it just stopped.

My son was able to do it at like 3. Same methodology, same everything, just different kids who grew differently.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
The issue we've run into is our 3 year old just...doesn't care if he has a wet or dirty pullup. Or, for that matter, if he has wet or dirty underwear. He knows he has to poop or pee and can even use the potty by himself (he's done it at daycare), he just almost entirely refuses to use the toilet at home. Occasionally he'll ask to go and he'll go pee in the toilet but poop at home is a nonstarter, even when he knows he has to go and willingly goes to sit. He just fucks around and talks for a few minutes and then says he's done, goes and hides, and shits.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
We got our older one to stop doing that by cleaning him up with cold water in the shower after he pooped his pants. It was more miserable (to him) than sitting on the toilet, and that habit was broken.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Nocheez posted:

[redacted] after he pooped his pants. It was more miserable (to him) than sitting on the toilet, and that habit was broken.

Now that’s borderline child abuse to me. I wouldn’t recommend that anyone do that, or ever mentioning to anyone again that that’s what you did. I’m not going to call CPS on you but you may yet encounter the kind of person who would.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Forcing potty training on kids who are not ready for it isn't really going to work and does probably more harm than good. If you want them potty trained start them at 2 - 2 1/2 or so, but if they don't take to it, don't worry. They are going to see things happening with kids who are trained that they won't be able to do (such as swimming in the big pool) that will serve as motivators.

Also, they don't always have the physical nerve connections fully developed yet and known what those signals they are getting actually mean. It takes time like everything else with kids. Don't force it at 2 if they are not ready.

Little kids, little problems. Big kids, big problems.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Now that’s borderline child abuse to me. I wouldn’t recommend that anyone do that, or ever mentioning to anyone again that that’s what you did. I’m not going to call CPS on you but you may yet encounter the kind of person who would.

okay I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic here, but if you're being serious what i'm getting from this is that your own self declared moral convictions are lacking enough that you feel compelled to call out what you feel is bad but don't have the moral fortitude to do anything about it? and are kind of vaguely hoping that someone else will while still being able to finger wag?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Benagain posted:

okay I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic here, but if you're being serious what i'm getting from this is that your own self declared moral convictions are lacking enough that you feel compelled to call out what you feel is bad but don't have the moral fortitude to do anything about it? and are kind of vaguely hoping that someone else will while still being able to finger wag?

i mean this is the internet, so yeah probably?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Benagain, how would you report abuse posted on SA?

Hello CPS?! I read on the Internet that someone abused their child!

Does everyone here know each other's first/last names, street addresses, SSNs, etc?

I think hedgehog's advice of "don't repeat that story in real life" is probably a good idea.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's probably worth a little bit of introspection around "I think it's a good idea to try to modify my child's behavior by hosing them off with cold water" and whether or not that is in fact a good idea even if it may return the result you want

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Benagain posted:

first off, this is a free advice thread on a forum for people who may or may not be experts; imagine us as people at your kids daycare and how they might react. not experts, but hopefully know some things.

also we don’t have a ton of details about the action that took place and the severity of it, hence folks urging caution and introspection, not outright calls for serious action. (though i’m sure the mods have rules in place if admission of serious acts are posted on the forum)

i myself would figure anything that could look like hazing to other people would be something to think about if it was right. if you do a search for “<redacted> child” there are a ton of stories of people detailing it as traumatic and can set back progress. it doesn’t always end badly, but i would worry about what affect it can have on a kid. patience is so key with potty training and most things with parenting; do things that can enable you to be more patient with them to teach them properly.

tl;dr: we’ve done pretty well with rewarding good behavior, and only being stern/loud when it’s life-endangering. for this specific situation; stickers when she peed in the potty, no serious admonishment when she pooped in her pants. eventually she got it, and honestly she was harder on herself than we would ever be when she had an accident. but she also showed interest in using the potty (never got a moment to myself, alas) but that was a good sign that it was time to train.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 29, 2024

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
If you use the wide angle attachment, it's not even that bad.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Molybdenum posted:

Benagain, how would you report abuse posted on SA?

Hello CPS?! I read on the Internet that someone abused their child!

Does everyone here know each other's first/last names, street addresses, SSNs, etc?

I think hedgehog's advice of "don't repeat that story in real life" is probably a good idea.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I mean ask hippie hedgehog they're the one stating that they aren't going to call CPS. To be clear, people have problems with that. Fine. People wouldn't do that with their kids, fine. People advising others not to do that, cool.

"Hey this is something that I think is so wrong I'm going to call it borderline child abuse, and now to be clear I'm not going to do anything but others might" not only sounds lovely from the moral standpoint you're supposedly taking but also sounds like a threat and either way just rings extremely lovely to me.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 29, 2024

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

So far only one kid has rsvp’ed yes to my daughter’s 5th birthday party, 3 nos and a ton of crickets with less than a week to go. My 3yo son’s birthday last month had like 15 classmates show up with a similar number of yeses. He’s a naturally outgoing kid and my daughter struggles a bit there and tbh I probably have some baggage in this area too.

I’m feeling pretty bummed because she’s been so excited for her birthday.

(Also I have no idea how much cake to buy.)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't have stance on either side of the argument but I'm laughing at the idea of calling CPS and saying, yeah someone on the internet made their kid take a cold shower!!!!! Yeah the kid was sitting in their own poo poo and piss, that's fine, but they used cold water!!!!!!!

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 29, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, I'm similarly nervous. In two weeks it's going to be my daughter's seventh birthday

Wait goddamn

Hold on I need to... I need to work through that a bit

Right, but yeah she's VERY excited, been planning it in her notebook(s) for like months now. I hope everyone she wants to show up does...

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's probably worth a little bit of introspection around "I think it's a good idea to try to modify my child's behavior by hosing them off with cold water" and whether or not that is in fact a good idea even if it may return the result you want

Giving a more generous read to the original post, "cleaning up in the shower" and "hosing them off" are (potentially) different things. We've cleaned up our kid "in the shower" without actually using the shower

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

Giving a more generous read to the original post, "cleaning up in the shower" and "hosing them off" are (potentially) different things. We've cleaned up our kid "in the shower" without actually using the shower

sure, i think the issue from my perspective is deliberately using cold water to make the experience worse for the kid

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
OK so the baseline for potty training is "it sucks and must be powered through", that's reassuring I suppose. He's not an abject nightmare on the matter but I just feel like he's so close to "fully getting it" and I guess I have to be patient and take my lumps for a bit.

No judgment on how you clean your kid's rear end but I did have to talk my wife out of demo'ing our bidet on the kid the other day. Can't think of a better way to make him scared of the toilet then surprise water up the butt.

Qwijib0 posted:

Kid 1 was 2 weeks done and no more accidents.

Kid 2 who we started at the same age, with the same strategy (thanks oh crap!) took almost a full year to figure out when to listen to their body. We just had many months of using a timer and having a potty sit every 90 min. They definitely protested that they had to pee while actively peeing in their pants.

My wife bought Oh Crap! after hearing about it on YouTube but she has never actually picked up the book, lol. I've read it and while I agree with the general concepts, I kind of hated reading it? Something about the writing style just makes most of it go in one ear and out the other, definitely an extra and unnecessary source of frustration. Maybe my wife was smart to just watch other people talk about it...

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, I'm similarly nervous. In two weeks it's going to be my daughter's seventh birthday

Wait goddamn

Hold on I need to... I need to work through that a bit

Right, but yeah she's VERY excited, been planning it in her notebook(s) for like months now. I hope everyone she wants to show up does...

My daughter turned 13 this month. That took some time for me to process. (I still haven't accepted it)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Someday you're going to go on vacation, and the only option for getting clean is a luke-warm shower, and you're going to have to figure out how to get your kiddo to do it without shrieking due to reliving past trauma.

The shower is the easiest way to clean off crusty dry poop because underwear-poopers have to be sneaky about it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Benagain posted:

I'm not sure why you're jumping to their defence here.

First off, yes, obviously we're all pseudonymous people on a web forum here, so obviously I would not be reporting this poster to the CPS even if I wanted to. For one thing, I wouldn't know which country they're even in.

Secondly, if someone here posts that they are doing something to their child that I find wrong/counterproductive/illegal, I'm going to speak up. I'm hoping this thread is ultimately useful to all participants, including someone who might not realize that the method they're using is frowned upon by society.

Third, I called this borderline child abuse because I think it's likely that it's not legally considered child abuse in a randomly chosen jurisdiction, but it might be in others. Where I'm at, if you mentioned using any corporal punishment at all (even cold water) to a childcare or school worker, they are legally required to report you to our local equivalent of CPS. It's up to the CPS to decide whether to act on it, but you're going to have a file there now. I assume there are similar provisions in other places, hence the advice to not talk about doing that around other people. I censored my quote to enable them to edit the offensive part out if they want to. TBH, if this is how the poster uses punishment, I think they need to adjust their mindset because it's going to harm their relationship with their child.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sure, i think the issue from my perspective is deliberately using cold water to make the experience worse for the kid

This poster gets it.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Using cold water on child who can’t/won’t (yet) poop in the potty is pretty awful.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I support what Hippie Hedgehog has said but have no further insight. Potty training should be a positive experience, and while my initial reaction to that form of punishment was mild - googling it was pretty alarming.

Went in for an ultrasound today and baby wasn’t growing quite as much as they would have liked. We’re two days short of full term (37 weeks) but are going in for induction tonight. Hoping for a happy and healthy baby and we can be parents x 2. Will call it quits after that, there’s a reason why gaming consoles only support 4 players. Even though we’ve done this before (and I’m not even the pregnant one) I’m still so goddamn nervous. Why do people have to come into this world in such an exciting way.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

space uncle posted:

I support what Hippie Hedgehog has said but have no further insight. Potty training should be a positive experience, and while my initial reaction to that form of punishment was mild - googling it was pretty alarming.

Went in for an ultrasound today and baby wasn’t growing quite as much as they would have liked. We’re two days short of full term (37 weeks) but are going in for induction tonight. Hoping for a happy and healthy baby and we can be parents x 2. Will call it quits after that, there’s a reason why gaming consoles only support 4 players. Even though we’ve done this before (and I’m not even the pregnant one) I’m still so goddamn nervous. Why do people have to come into this world in such an exciting way.

Here's hoping for ya! My daughter was a c-section pree-mie too, she had to spend a few days in NICU, so be prepared for that if it happens.

(she's 13 now and is a bundle of 'joy'. You'll be fine)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Good luck Space Uncle! Our scheduled c/s is tomorrow for kiddo number 2 as well. I like the “only 4 players” line… but what if I want to have a full MOBA team? hmm

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cimber posted:

My daughter turned 13 this month. That took some time for me to process. (I still haven't accepted it)

I am literally not going to be able to parse a second digit. She's going to rollover to a newborn on the eve of her tenth birthday and age accordingly from there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

space uncle posted:

Good luck!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I am literally not going to be able to parse a second digit. She's going to rollover to a newborn on the eve of her tenth birthday and age accordingly from there.

Like a 1980s odometer!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Using cold water on child who can’t/won’t (yet) poop in the potty is pretty awful.

Ugh, y'all are nuts. He was completely able to go in the toilet and had been, but he was running and hiding under things and crapping himself. The water in the shower would take time to get warm, so we started with the cold water instead of waiting for it to warm up before getting in. We live in NC so cold water really isn't that cold lol.

It literally took giving him one uncomfortable shower. Sorry for creating the next mass murderer.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Nocheez posted:

Ugh, y'all are nuts. He was completely able to go in the toilet and had been, but he was running and hiding under things and crapping himself. The water in the shower would take time to get warm, so we started with the cold water instead of waiting for it to warm up before getting in. We live in NC so cold water really isn't that cold lol.

It literally took giving him one uncomfortable shower. Sorry for creating the next mass murderer.

This is bean dad material btw

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kiddo seems to have water in his ears from something and the peds wants us to get him scheduled to see an ENT.

My dumbass over here thought it couldn't be any worse then the neurology appointment he needed. I should be able to get an appointment for at least sometime this month.

Closest appointment they got is November 13th lol lmao.

Good poo poo, love the system.

(Peds is going to try to expedite it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Oh wow here I was expecting August or something. Maybe you can call every few days and go hunting for a cancellation?

I hit it big with the dermatologist last month. I called and my options were the next day, or, and I quote, "you don't want to know".