Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Forgetting about knives is a fun worry now that both kids have kitchen counter access. No more stashing a knife on the center of the island - if it’s on a cutting board that sucker is coming down with the snacks.

Angered the gods with this post. Shortly after our 1yo grabbed a table runner that was previously out of reach and pulled down a decorative bowl that shattered and sliced a pinky toe. Wrangling gauze and a bandaid on a flailing kid was quite the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Any good books or articles on bedtime?

My 3.5 yo hasn’t gone down easily to bed in probably 6 months. I’d like to fix this. We have an okay routine, but not it’s not exact every night, and I don’t know if that’s the problem. I don’t think he’s getting enough sleep in general. He doesn’t nap anymore. I don’t know how strict to be about it all.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't have any specific recommendations, but your body starts releasing cortisol if you're sleep deprived which results in "over tired toddler" syndrome and can have follow on effects the next day as well

We're in the middle of "dropping the last nap" too. The daycare isn't helping as they try to make her nap so instead of 5 days in a row of

9am wakeup
12 lunch
8:30 bedtime

1-3 days a week she gets anywhere from 30 min to a 2 hour nap in the middle of the day, which really fucks up how the kid behaves in the evening, and the only way to find out is to remember to check the app they have

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We have a Sprout sous chef tower- they sell scratch and dent models (‘value grade’) on their site. They’re very stable, have a reasonable footprint, and our 3 and 5yo still use them daily. Would recommend.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My 3yo daughter now regularly calls me a "poopy butt" and i have to say that it's clearly bullshit

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Honestly we just used a regular old two-step stepladder. The kind with rubber feet that holds like 400lbs? We just folded it up and put it away when we didn’t need it. Very sturdy obviously and easy to use. Cheap too!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Good soup! posted:

My 3yo daughter now regularly calls me a "poopy butt" and i have to say that it's clearly bullshit

Well then stop being a poopy butt :colbert:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

cailleask posted:

Honestly we just used a regular old two-step stepladder. The kind with rubber feet that holds like 400lbs? We just folded it up and put it away when we didn’t need it. Very sturdy obviously and easy to use. Cheap too!

Same here. I don't know what specific brand we have but that kind of ladder goes for like 40 bucks at Home Depot.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

We got a two step after having one of those big ones with rails and everything. My kid loves being able to move the smaller one herself where she needs it and feels far more independent than having to ask us to move it for her. We swapped them at about 3-3.5yo. I don’t t think I’d be comfortable her using the two step at 2yo, when she started using the big one, but I’m a babying girl-daddy goon so take that with with a grain of salt.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Good soup! posted:

why is there bull poop on your butt? :dadjoke:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
My father in law built a kitchen kid stand. It has adjustable height to keep toddlers at counter height and below "topple off stand" height. Both boys loved it and we've lent it to friends that have toddlers now. Made cookies, biscuits, pasta, etc. with their help and have some cute pics.

So my advice is ask your father in law to make a custom stand

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

lifg posted:

Any good books or articles on bedtime?

My 3.5 yo hasn’t gone down easily to bed in probably 6 months. I’d like to fix this. We have an okay routine, but not it’s not exact every night, and I don’t know if that’s the problem. I don’t think he’s getting enough sleep in general. He doesn’t nap anymore. I don’t know how strict to be about it all.

All I can advise is that it’s good he’s not napping anymore at that age.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Molybdenum posted:

My father in law built a kitchen kid stand. It has adjustable height to keep toddlers at counter height and below "topple off stand" height. Both boys loved it and we've lent it to friends that have toddlers now. Made cookies, biscuits, pasta, etc. with their help and have some cute pics.

So my advice is ask your father in law to make a custom stand

We have a little two-step thing floating around our kitchen that's historically filled the same function. I've stubbed my toe on that drat thing so many times. My kids don't even need it anymore; no idea why we still have it.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Ahhh here I am, ever the fool, thinking Spring was supposed to mean kids got sick less. Happy Saturdays to you! Mine will be caring for a fevered up 4 y/o on the couch. Can’t wait to find out how the baby is feeling….

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
This is the first weekend in like a month and a half no one is sick

So far

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tom Smykowski posted:

This is the first weekend in like a month and a half no one is sick

So far

Hey, it's only saturday, there is at least 36 hours for things to go south

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Cimber posted:

Hey, it's only saturday, there is at least 36 hours for things to go south

It’s always bad when you think you made it through the weekend with no one getting sick only for someone to start having symptoms late on a Sunday evening..

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I love adding $120-160 to every date night to account for babysitters. Love love love it. Love it even more when they cancel 10 min after they were supposed to show up.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm at a kid's third birthday for one of the kids in my daughter's class. This is the fanciest house I've ever been in

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

hallo spacedog posted:

I'm at a kid's third birthday for one of the kids in my daughter's class. This is the fanciest house I've ever been in

Ahh, the birthday circuit. That's always fun.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cimber posted:

Ahh, the birthday circuit. That's always fun.

They had
Multiple encanto reenactors

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

hallo spacedog posted:

They had
Multiple encanto reenactors

No idea what that is. My kids are past the kiddie movie stage.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I took my kid to his friend’s fourth birthday party, and it took place at a trampoline park, and I was about as happy as I could be. I love those places.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have thus far failed completely at making any parent friends. There was a dad I kept running into at daycare pickup and he started saying things like “we must get off work at the same time.” So the next time I ran into him I introduced myself. That was three weeks ago and I haven’t seen him since. I don’t actually think I scared him off, but it’s a hell of a coincidence.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I have no idea how to make friends with other parents. I also feel like most of them are way younger than me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think encanto is a latin American themed Disney flagship animated movie, but I've never seen it

At two birthday parties we had, at one, spiderman (the husband/boyfriend of the duo) and the girlfriend/wife was dressed like a generic princess, doing some kind of face painting, Disney themed temporary tattoos, and assisting with XYZ toddler birthday stuff

At the other we had a lady dressed up as Elsa and she was solo but did some minor face painting and sung a little

I have no idea what this stuff costs.

I definitely don't recommend having a birthday party at the park though. That means you need to plan for any contingency and bring everything, and then haul it from your car from the too far away parking lot to the party location, and then when you're exhausted you have to haul it all back to your car and then drive home and only then do you get to pass out on the couch with a beer

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Encanto has some bangers. Not Moana level, but still pretty good

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Cimber posted:

No idea what that is. My kids are past the kiddie movie stage.

You’ve never talked bout Bruno no no no?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Wonder if I could get a party entertainer dressed as Tamatoa?

For my kids, of course. Yes, my kids.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My parents came over and I made a big meal, and then cleaned up the whole kitchen after they left.

The MOMENT I finish my daughter wants to go on her bike around the block :negative: I'm so tired

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

c355n4 posted:

I have no idea how to make friends with other parents. I also feel like most of them are way younger than me.

I’m hoping it gets easier once the kids need less supervision. Lately all our events are parents chasing their kids around with no time to interact.

Our friends moved into a new build neighborhood with 5-6 similar families on their street. They now have an active friend group with easy proximity hangouts. It’s tempting to move us there if it wasn’t all the way across the city and a terrible fiscal hit to our mortgage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’m trying to build up dad friends through the neighborhood dads group run through our neighborhood play space thing - there were about 10 of us with newborns. It works well for me, but we are in a super dense walkable neighborhood so we can just like bring the babies along and go get a beer at 3 pm or whatever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I’m hoping it gets easier once the kids need less supervision. Lately all our events are parents chasing their kids around with no time to interact.

Our friends moved into a new build neighborhood with 5-6 similar families on their street. They now have an active friend group with easy proximity hangouts. It’s tempting to move us there if it wasn’t all the way across the city and a terrible fiscal hit to our mortgage.

Even given the XYZ downsides, I'd still examine that option pretty hard

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

We lucked out buying our house in 2018, childless back then. We landed on a street that experienced a baby boom shortly after, and now even if we wanted it would be difficult to move as our kid has half a dozen friends on our block alone. It’s great being able to just walk out the front door with 50/50 chance of having someone to play. Would recommend.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We’ve been fortunate but I also can’t wrap my head around the baby/toddler years and not being in a walkable area with playgrounds, etc.

I’ve struggled with making parent friends but that’s more an issue of pandemic timing and me not being naturally outgoing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Get an inexpensive bounce house and put it in the back yard. BBQ hams/hots/chicken and poof, instant birthday party. Cheap and the kids will have tons of fun up until age 8 or so. Easier on the parents too.
This lasted us through two kids plus another five years with another family. Good price for lots of use.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My son has been getting speech therapy for almost a year. He started with only two words, and now he’s really interactive and able to express most of his needs. He’s having little conversations with me and also narrates scenes with his toys, it’s so cute I can hardly handle it. He still struggles a lot with articulation, I can understand him but nobody else can unless it’s clearly in context. He turns three in a few weeks and services end at that age for some reason, so his speech therapist did an evaluation to try to get an IEP for articulation work started. She did his eval and was sure that he would qualify, but when she scored it he got 76%, and he needed 70% or lower to qualify. She said she tried to score him as low as possible so he could qualify but she couldn’t come up with enough errors.

I’m not terribly worried, but I’m pretty bummed that he won’t be getting speech any more. He has two therapists and they are both amazing, he’s come such a long way.

In other news, I successfully got my daughter registered for after school care this morning. I have been fretting about this for MONTHS. There’s a limited number of spots and it’s first come first serve registration. If I didn’t get into this program I don’t know what I would do with her since school gets out at 2:45 and the earliest I’m done with work is 3:30. Anyway, online registration opened at 7am and I was sitting at my computer at 6:30 like a nut. My heart was thumping as I raced through the registration form, and I had it submitted by 7:09. Registering for kindergarten and figuring out before and after school care has been unusually stressful!

Daycare sent out a message last week that said they will have a graduation for all the preschoolers who are going to kindergarten at the end of summer. I cried when I read the message, I cried when I told my boyfriend about it, and I’m crying again writing about it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jose Valasquez posted:

My 4 year old is obsessed with Encanto and Moana because the soundtracks are indeed bangers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Daughter decided she wants to read with her nightlight instead of me singing to her at bedtime.

so yeah that's over now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm really tired of someone being sick at all times.