Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Scuttlebutt posted:

Does anyone have any experience with toddlers who don't talk? My 2.5 year old niece doesn't talk. Every now and then she will say a word (never consistently), and the family treats it as cause for celebration. Most of the time she just screams and cries. I know that her parents have a referral to get her evaluated, but they don't intend to follow through with it. Should we be worried, or is she just most likely a late bloomer?

She may end up being perfectly fine. All kids are different (really!) However, were she mine, I would be keeping that evaluation appointment (and probably would have had one much sooner than 2.5 years old.) Like rectal cushion above me said, the sooner you address a language delay, the better. You won't know what the problem actually is until she is actually looked at by a professional.

Personally, I would have already started worrying long before now, but that's me.

Edit: New page! Have some pics from this Halloween. I know this will come as a shock to those of you who remember my kids, but we were dinosaurs again this year. ;) They're getting so big!

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Scuttlebutt posted:

Does anyone have any experience with toddlers who don't talk? My 2.5 year old niece doesn't talk. Every now and then she will say a word (never consistently), and the family treats it as cause for celebration. Most of the time she just screams and cries. I know that her parents have a referral to get her evaluated, but they don't intend to follow through with it. Should we be worried, or is she just most likely a late bloomer?

Chiming in with everyone else that getting her evaluated is the best idea. Getting my son evaluated and into speech therapy (amongst other things) at that age did wonders for his ability to communicate now. He was entirely nonverbal at that age, and while he's still not entirely up to speed, he's talking almost nonstop now at 8. The evaluation turned up things beyond his speech delays as well, which had gone unnoticed as they weren't as overt.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Hello! I'm sorry if this isn't OK to post here.

I've got to buy presents for an 9 year old girl and a 4 year old boy this Xmas. I don't really see them very often and out of guilt at my lack of effort I'd like to get them something really nice, but I have no clue.

Do any of you have any ideas?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
My go to gift for kids is books. You can shop amazon by age here: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=H1_Age?...rd_i=2233171011

Or you can hit up your local children's librarian for age appropriate suggestions.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

LizzieBorden posted:

Hello! I'm sorry if this isn't OK to post here.

I've got to buy presents for an 9 year old girl and a 4 year old boy this Xmas. I don't really see them very often and out of guilt at my lack of effort I'd like to get them something really nice, but I have no clue.

Do any of you have any ideas?

Books are my go-to present for all ages, too. Art supplies are great as well. In general, stuff that can be used creatively is pretty much universally better than a toy that has basically only one way to play with it. Stuff that makes a lot of noise makes me curse the person who bought it for my kid.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Believe it or not the 9 year old might like a gift card. Kids that age are really starting to develop independence, and get a big kick out of shopping for themselves.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Don't know how nice you want to get but the 4 year old would love you forever if you got him a Power Wheel. My friends 4 year old son is also into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Vtech Dinosaurs. I know nothing about what little girls would like.

Edit: books and learning stuff is cool and all but get these kids some toys.

Edit 2: he might like Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Apparently all the boys are eating that up.

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 20, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Hell, I would love you forever if you got me a Power Wheels.

This question reminded me so I made an official gift idea thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518416

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Christopher is cutting three molars and two canines at once (one molar appeared like, overnight).

God help me.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Lyz posted:

Christopher is cutting three molars and two canines at once (one molar appeared like, overnight).

God help me.

I don't know how old your son is, but mine is rockin' a pair of canines and a molar too and I've found he seems to get a lot of relief from chilled (like in a fridge) jicama wedges. (Seriously.)

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Thanks for the gift ideas guys! Have gone for a tricycle for the boy and a few riding lessons for the (pony mad) girl,

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Brennanite posted:

I don't know how old your son is, but mine is rockin' a pair of canines and a molar too and I've found he seems to get a lot of relief from chilled (like in a fridge) jicama wedges. (Seriously.)

I have no idea if I could find that at my local Hannaford's but I'll keep an eye out. He also seemed pretty content to mow down on some French bread, I guess the crust is hard and scratchy enough.

He's a year old.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Also try large carrot pieces. Keep them in a glass of water in the fridge. Nice and cold! You can pop them back in the water to re-chill and harden back up if he doesn't totally mangle them.

Or, wet a washcloth and half freeze it. Like to the point it's kind of crunchy, but not rock hard. Very popular--cold and it's a texture thing on the gums.

Good luck, teething's a bitch.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

AlistairCookie posted:

Good luck, teething's a bitch.

Yeah, he's been cranky before because of teeth but now he's a monster. Clingy, gnawing on everything, wails if I deny him anything or put him down... fun fun.

I will try the carrot sticks, I have enough of them lying around. I gave him some paper towel folded up tight and soaked in cold water, he was quite thorough with that so the washcloths will probably be popular.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
How about tylenol?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Our daughter is almost a year old. Every since I started reading bedtime stories to her, I've read Goodnight Gorilla. I read somewhere that babies like to have familiarity in stories so I haven't strayed from this aside from a few times when I couldn't locate the book.

Should I be branching out into other books by now? She really seems to like Goodnight Gorilla but I don't want to limit her exposure to anything.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Why not read 2-4 books? We check out board books from the library, but regulars from the bookshelf are Goodnight Moon, The Going to Bed Book, How Do I Love You, I Love You Through and Through... there are a lot of classics. That way you can keep your gorilla book as the last one if you like and still get some variety. :)

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We have expanded into 2-3 stories at bedtime, and now that she's almost 2 we let her pick which ones.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I always read goodnight moon to Lennon right before bed. By read I mean recite it because I've read it so many times. Occasionally the wife will read something else. To keep up the familiarity I got one of those record-able books for when I deploy.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
We got one of those record-able books a while back. We were chilling out in the bedroom folding some laundry and heard a talking voice come over the monitor, my wife screamed and I jumped in the air a few feet. It turns out the book got left open and it decided to play the page. We make sure that book is closed every night now.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

LizzieBorden posted:

A few riding lessons for the (pony mad) girl

Did you clear this with the parents first? If she's that pony mad she will NOT want to stop after just a few lessons and that's a hobby that gets expensive fast.

(Speaking as a girl who started riding at age 9 with parents who hoped I'd grow out of it. Took my horse to college and rode on the university's riding team for a bit. See how well that whole "growing out of it" worked out.)

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Does anyone have a suggestion for a TV sort of thing for the car? Most of them seem to be portable DVD players with LCDs that mount to the back of the headrest, but we don't really have DVDs anymore, so I'm looking for something that can play off of USB drives. I'm going to be making multiple 8 hour (6.5 without stops) car trips with just me and my daughter soon and it's not very fun. I'm hoping being able to watch something will keep her happy longer than reading to herself.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Ariza posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a TV sort of thing for the car? Most of them seem to be portable DVD players with LCDs that mount to the back of the headrest, but we don't really have DVDs anymore, so I'm looking for something that can play off of USB drives. I'm going to be making multiple 8 hour (6.5 without stops) car trips with just me and my daughter soon and it's not very fun. I'm hoping being able to watch something will keep her happy longer than reading to herself.

Really you should be looking at a tablet. Videos + angry birds + headphones = happy car trips.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Really you should be looking at a tablet. Videos + angry birds + headphones = happy car trips.

Thanks! I didn't even think about that and now that I look there's quite a few ways to mount it to the back of the seat for her. Kids are so spoiled nowadays and I feel like such a hypocrite doing it after talking poo poo for so many years when I'd see people letting their kids watch movies in the car. I plan on only using it for long trips but I'm afraid it'll slowly seep into everyday use.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
For us it's a valuable bribe motivational tool. Good/exceptional behavior = 10 minutes of tablet time.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Ben Davis posted:

How about tylenol?

I assume that everyone is giving his or her teething child Tylenol and Orajel at regular intervals in addition to the methods suggested here.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Benzocaine should be a last resort sort of thing for teething. There are some pretty scary risks (reduced gag reflex among them).

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm250024.htm

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Chickalicious posted:

Benzocaine should be a last resort sort of thing for teething. There are some pretty scary risks (reduced gag reflex among them).

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm250024.htm

Jesus Christ, thanks for this. It's insane that this still isn't on the label. Babies can get this from eating too many beets too, so make sure you watch for that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ariza posted:

Thanks! I didn't even think about that and now that I look there's quite a few ways to mount it to the back of the seat for her. Kids are so spoiled nowadays and I feel like such a hypocrite doing it after talking poo poo for so many years when I'd see people letting their kids watch movies in the car. I plan on only using it for long trips but I'm afraid it'll slowly seep into everyday use.

It doesn't have to. We let our daughter use the ipad on long road trips (there have been lots, we basically drove from the east to west coast and back again last year) but she's never even asked to use it on a trip to Costco or whatever.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

He's pretty easily distracted from the discomfort by toys, climbing all over me, going out, etc, and his sleep doesn't seem to be affected, so I try to avoid medicating him more than necessary. I feel that if you use painkillers too much they're not as effective when you really need them.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the words on multiple books. She's usually ready for sleep after Goodnight Gorilla so expanding may take a little time!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Brennanite posted:

I assume that everyone is giving his or her teething child Tylenol and Orajel at regular intervals in addition to the methods suggested here.

Good for you for assuming?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Ben Davis posted:

Good for you for assuming?

:confused: I thought you were worried about children not receiving pain medication when appropriate. I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
My son, Liam, is about 15 months old now and he's been pretty great so far. He wasn't too much of a hassle while teething and has his front 8 teeth already.

The problem we're running into for the last few months is biting. It doesn't necessarily come with tantrums, but it does come with tantrums as well.

When we come home and he runs up to us and bury's his face into our leg.
When we pick him up to sooth him.
After something he shouldn't be playing with is taken away during a tantrum.

Well these are the most likely scenarios and it's about a 50/50 chance.

We've taken different advice from books, family, friends and the internet. We put him down and walked away, hasn't worked. We gently bite back on a clothed area, hasn't worked. We pretended to cry, hasn't worked. We gave him the stern "UH UH" that dissuades him from other activities, but he giggles, laughs and does it again.

We've given each method about 3-4 weeks of solid continued attempts and he still bites family and friends. I've had teeth marks on me that have lasted for days.

Is there a better solution? We don't want to keep his pacifier in all day and he doesn't seem to be teething at the moment. We're just very bruised and worried about him interacting with cousins the same age at Christmas gatherings.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Thomase posted:

Is there a better solution? We don't want to keep his pacifier in all day and he doesn't seem to be teething at the moment. We're just very bruised and worried about him interacting with cousins the same age at Christmas gatherings.

We just watched our bitey baby like a hawk whenever he was in range. He had a characteristic head-movement he'd make before he clamped down, so you'd be having nice cuddle times, or feeding or playing with cousins, and when his head pulled back he was going to take a chomp.

Pretty much like a boss battle, just watch for the pattern, and when he does his super-attack, you defend or dodge.

And a bite or attempted bite ment a break in cuddle-time, or feeding, or playing with cousins. Not a long one, but a minute or two of interrupted fun every time he nipped made it less attractive. Or he grew out of it.

Don't bite back in play. That is the wrong thing to do. Interrupt whatever stimulation causes biting.
The saying goes, a kid will do whatever obnoxious bullshit thing they are going to do untill you can't stand it another second. Then they'll stop, and replace it with something worse.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 22, 2012

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Slo-Tek posted:

Don't bite back in play. That is the wrong thing to do. Interrupt whatever stimulation causes biting.

Embarrassingly it was my parents that gave the advice. We do notice the general head movement, he still gets in there now and then though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our kid is about 13 months and he's been really bitey lately as well. The interrupting cuddle-time and making an "ouch!" reaction is what we've been doing. Just reacting in pain alone apparently isn't as effective since they like it when you react to them. Because they don't know that it's a negative reaction.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Update and a new question. Her teeth haven't popped through yet, they're doing that up down thingy... but she seems fine with it for now.

She doesn't enjoy tummy time very much, she prefers to sit up. We can get her to lie on her tummy for maybe 5 minutes maximum. She'll either start crying or roll over onto her back. She's 14 weeks now. She hasn't liked lying on her tummy since she was born.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Konomex posted:

Update and a new question. Her teeth haven't popped through yet, they're doing that up down thingy... but she seems fine with it for now.

She doesn't enjoy tummy time very much, she prefers to sit up. We can get her to lie on her tummy for maybe 5 minutes maximum. She'll either start crying or roll over onto her back. She's 14 weeks now. She hasn't liked lying on her tummy since she was born.

Mine hated it too, but if you wear her it counts for tummy time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Konomex posted:

Tummy time sucks if you can't figure out how to move your body. I second the suggestion of wearing your baby a lot during the day rather than leave her laying down on her back in a basinette, swing, etc. The idea of tummy time came about because babies were constantly on their backs or in a baby container of some sort. With babywearing, they get a lot of gentle practice holding their head and adjusting their body as you move around.

Interestingly, there are some child development folks who believe that you should let babies learn to roll, crawl, and walk at their own pace, and not interfere by putting them into positions they can't get into themselves (here's some more info on that: http://www.janetlansbury.com/2009/09/set-me-free/).