Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Oodles posted:

I’ll have my wife’s brother and sister and all their children staying nearby. And they’ll all want to do activities during the day, as they’re older and have less children than me.

I don’t want to take my family of six out for sushi, or go to the cinema. Can we go do cheap stuff? Like walking, it’s free.

hiking is my go to. they get to maybe get mauled by bears at worst and tired at best, also free in the US. Everything else costs money. I just looked at Disneyland tickets for the grandparents and holy moly they want a kidney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

I'm trying to build out a hawai'i vacation with a 1.5 year in tow sometime this year. Any recommendations for places you guys have had non-crappy experiences? I hate Hiltons with a personal, overarching vengeance but aside from that I'd like to stay I Waikiki so I don't get bored silly.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess everyone wants different things out of a vacation, but I'd nope out on Honolulu and try to find at least a few days at some airbnb option on big island, and visit the active volcanoes. Hiking is supposedly great there, too!

I'd love all those things but carting a slightly manic 1.5 year old who has the endurance of a tiny potato makes my volcano enthusiasm slightly dampened. I figured we'd get 2-3 hours of usable vacation time between naps, and adnamito isn't highly mobile so hiking (unless I'm carrying adnamito) isn't gonna work

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Rufio posted:

Trying to get our 11mo old off the bottle and using straw cups. I had a straw cup with formula on the counter for him after lunch. Our 3.5y toddler came and swiped it and drank it all without blinking.

I mean to be fair the cup used to be his but like...it tasted like milk to you? Granted I've never tried formula but it smells awful.

Edit: ^what is toddler fruit juice?

I've tried multiple formulas, just because I could, and they all have a nasty iron-y/sickly sweet taste to them but little nam digs it so

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Don't have any advice on weaning, but you might double check that the relevant doctors are up-to-date on their knowledge of treatment options (the mention of going to the ER for treatment makes me worry that you're someplace that's still doing opioids as first-line for migraines, which is largely considered ineffective now). Not a medical professional, but my wife suffers from migraines as well, and neurologist/OB/pediatrician were all fine with proponalol for prophylaxis and triptans for treatment the whole way through pregnancy, and LactMed has broadly positive things to say about CGRP inhibitors (Aimovig and Nurtec ODT were the entries we were considered with) after newborn stage, so if possible might be worth seeing if you can check w/ a neurologist or similar who's been following the literature.

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Ah, that makes sense re: the IVs - just triggered bad memories from Austin hospitals circa 2008 when they kept trying to ineffectively treat with opioids. Glad it's something more reasonable in your case!

CGRP inhibitors have been pretty life-changing for Mrs. Rabidbunnylover and a couple other chronic migraine suffers we know. I'm not entirely sure how Kaiser handles them - they're mostly still super expensive since they're new, so we've had to fight with Anthem for authorization a couple of times, although the manufacturers are pretty good about discounting to basically $0 for the first few months so you can see if it works before fighting with the insurance company.

I'm also a doctor parent (huzzah there are dozens of us), and at least currently in my region/field, opioids/barbituates have been broadly dismissed as effective long-term treatments for migraines (hopefully that's reflective of everybody's experience). If you're with Kaiser and still only using sumatriptan (imitrex) I'd talk to your primary doc and maybe try trials of naratriptan/rizatriptan if your immediate treatment options don't work well.

However, if you're already failing prophylaxis, it might be worthwhile to get a consult to neurology, as I'm fairly sure in Kaiser a primary physician doesn't have auth/experience with CGRP inhibitors, as several great new medications (i'm looking at you Wegovy) are usually restricted to specific departments. Also, remember you don't have to stick with a single neurologist if they suck, you can always get a second opinion by calling member services the instant after having a lovely experience. Also, please complain, the KP doctors do get feedback regarding any specific events they are part of personally.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

My neighborhood needs better park options. It’d be great if my wife had a meet-cute with another mom and set up weekly vent sessions. I’m always there for support, especially since I WFH, but sometimes you need the catharsis of a neutral third party.

I second this. I didn't think kids were in the picture when we moved to our suburban area, but it's a park desert unless we drive.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

dismas posted:

loving three month sleep regression

sup 1 year sleep regression
poo poo is tough...

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Welcome friend. Your life is going to change forever very soon. It’s going to be awesome and scary and infuriating and wonderful, consider investing in a Snoo

if you do this please watch the videos before hand
i fcuked up and didn't realize how to prep the baby for the snoo and well, it was a nice clotheshamper for awhile.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

nvm

adnam fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 5, 2024

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

I think the thing that blindsided me the most about having kids is just how hostile the rest of American society is to you and your kids once you give birth.

We hung out with Canadian relatives. The dad was coming off his 4th month of paternity leave and was explaining to me as a USAian that they get a combined more than 15 months of leave between the father and mother, it was crazy.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think we're all getting ADHD to some degree, even the adults, mainly because of phones. I certainly have lost a lot of concentration ability, don't know if I could read a book anymore...

I think this is a bad take, I'm pretty sure with time and change in habit you could probably be able to do what you need to do. Severe ADHD/ADD precludes the ability to function

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Aside from keeping public social media posting about a child's identity/details to a minimum, has anybody else done anything additionally to protect a child's credit/identity? I'm talking about freezing credit, etc. I know it's overkill but I recently excommunicated a family member from any family photos because he kept posting them on his very public facebook profile and just thinking about otherwise to keep my kid safe.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We’ve been going to Hawaii to visit my husband’s family since my daughter was 18 months. She’s 4 now. We just got back today from a trip there.

Bring tons of snacks. We bring 2 gallon bags of snacks for one-way. Snacks are honestly one of the best ways to keep them busy.

I also suggest lots of brand new toys and books. I’m a big fan of Melissa & Doug Water Wow books. They come with paint brushes and you fill the brushes with water and they can paint the pages.

Melissa & Doug also make Thea reusable puffy sticker packs/activity books that are great for the plane.

Aside from the Aquarium and Zoo
Are there any hikes you recommend? I've got a 1.5 year old that is generally game for mild hikes. Pillbox apparently is recommended

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Good to know they're teaching the important Spanish words... Make sure to teach your kid that the proper answer to "gracias" is "de nalgas", his teachers will be really impressed

lol is that 'nice butt' informally?
it's like a play on every person learning how to say puta madre in tagalog as the only word they ever learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

What’s a good travel car seat for 1-2 year old? We’ve got one of those bomb rotating Nuna REVVs which is great for everyday use but I’d rather not take that flying. I’m looking at one of the Graco Extend2Fits so if it gets destroyed during airplane travel/check-in I’m not as concerned, but are there other options other goons recommend?