Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Pardon the disjointed and rambly post.

I'm trying to get to terms with the question about daycare and COVID. My kid is 3 and we're going to be sending them to daycare shortly for socialization and so forth. They were going to go earlier; but, COVID hit just at that point so we punted. The daycare has precautions in place and keeps the kids and staff masked, small class sizes, disinfecting, etc. Am I being overly cautious with not wanting to send them to daycare? Kid needs the socialization and I know they'd enjoy it. I keep reading about how COVID isn't as bad for kids in general; but, why risk the unknown long term impact if I can protect them? What are acceptable risks with this new Delta variant? Being in NJ and one of the higher risk counties doesn't help me. I know that I can't protect them from everything.

Not sure where I'm going with this "vent". How have you all handled/coped with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks all. The whole situation sucks. I really hope the kid vaccines get approved soon.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Starting to get a little freaked out about daycare. Two kids in different classes have popped positive in the past month. They were asymptomatic. One was tested prior to medical procedure. Other no idea why they tested; but, lines up with Thanksgiving. So my theory is a guest had symptoms later. It's the asymptomatic thing that scares me. The daycare is very diligent about temperature checks and symptoms.

I'm just rambling here. I wish the only concern I had was if my kid was doing well in school and not this unseen COVID.

I wonder if we should keep the kid out of daycare the week following any major holidays.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Grape chat. We got an oxo grape cutter. Handy and easy way to cut grapes. You just can't get huge grapes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SZBXL45/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_GW37JDPZX1RRDVFHAWEP

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

nwin posted:

Am I the rear end in a top hat for considering to write on my sons 4th birthday invites “no play doh please.”?

I hate that stuff.

You might get slime instead.

I'm also starting to get antsy about this formula shortage. Breastfeeding isn't a possibility. Luckily the baby doesn't need special formula. But I'll need formula for next year at least.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 15, 2022

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just a heads up for any parents needing normal infant formula. Amazon seems to have the Enfamil organic in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09853PPGF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_S26KA7A34ZMGGC66M732

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

My daughter only eats the stems of broccoli for reasons that escape me.

It's also amazing the difference in how i process "kid being a real rear end in a top hat" based off if they're sick or not. My daughter's home sick still but being able to go "she's being real particular/fussy/generally a jerk because she's not feeling well" means that her outbursts don't trigger my various brain goblins.

My kid only eats the top and leaves the stems.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

My kid just had their first birthday party and a lot of the guests gave us cash for gifts. What am I supposed to do with this? Use it to buy my kid toys? Use it to help pay for the party ($600 for food/drinks/decorations/rental fee etc)? Put it into a savings account for my kid?

I started savings accounts for all my kids. All the cash gifts they get go in there. I've also diverted some to actual investments via a UTMA account.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

What controllers do you use for your kids? They all seem too big for kid hands

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

remigious posted:

I have a gamesir t4 mini that I use for my small lady hands lol.

Ooh, this might work. I only have a huge Xbox controller on my PC and it is definitely a struggle for the kid to use it.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Edit 2:
Throw out eggs, milk after 4 hours? A carton of fresh eggs will keep for several weeks in room temperature, for Christ's sake!

Just for anyone in the US. This is true for eggs everywhere else where they don't wash off the protective layer on eggs. Any commercial eggs in the US are washed before being packaged and that removes the protective layer and is why we need to refrigerate them.

https://uwmadscience.news.wisc.edu/animals/most-of-the-world-does-not-refrigerate-their-eggs-so-why-does-the-us/

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Flu ripping thru the house. Tested negative on COVID. I like to think my flu shot prevented a fever. Kid popped a fever. Wife popped a fever. Baby no fever but teething and runny nose and coughing. Definitely came from school. Such is parent life.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Getting a minivan was a life changing experience. Being able to belt both kids into seats while inside the car is amazing.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Ah, that's disappointing. We're playing stuff off "Chromecast-like" functionality on various embedded devices connected to the TV. Well, I'll give it a shot and see how much it helps (or doesn't).
I use https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext on a fire stick and a chromecast with Google TV.

Bonus points for having built in sponsor block.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I'm thinking about getting one of those folding wagons for the kids to ride about instead of a stroller. Any recommendations? Or are they all crap?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks all. Wow, lots of radio flyer owners.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just placed an order for one with a canopy and the push/pull configuration. Hopefully will arrive in time for the festival/fair thing.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

It mostly blew over, but wife is still raw about it.

Any idea where the kid learned that word from?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

What did you all do with baby stuff after the kid outgrows it? Stuff like bouncers, pack and plays, and chairs? I've tried donating. Many places near me don't accept it. They did take the clothes thankfully.

If I attempt to sell is Facebook the go to for this?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

cailleask posted:

As a person who did a ton of infant swim classes with both kids and now has elementary aged swimmers, if I had to do it again I’d put them in ISR instead of the splashy toddler swim classes. If I had time for both, fine, but I think ISR would have been more beneficial to us as a family and them as kids in the long run.

Tell me more. My kid is currently in those normal swim classes.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Any recommendations on programs, ways, or books/stuff to teach your kids to read via phonics?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

A Bad King posted:

How about kinetic sand?

Or slime?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Our daycare has specific T-shirts that they have to wear on field trip days. Every other day they wear whatever.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Both my husband and my ex husband have eaten a snail as a child

I eat snails as an adult.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Kid starts Kindergarten soon. Have any of you heard of or dealt with Voluntary Student Accident Insurance? It is something the district offers via a third party insurance company.

https://www.bobmccloskey.com/k-12/

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I've heard of it but never signed up. It seems kinda scammy to me - preying on parents' fears of the never-ending crap we deal with in the US in terms of a lack of safety at school. If you are considering it, definitely read the fine print, and double-check that your other insurances (medical / life) don't already cover things.

There's an insurance thread in BFC that could probably help, too.

Yea, that was my initial feeling, scammy.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

If you get them a computer. Make them research with a budget. It's a good learning experience.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Prune pouches are also amazing as alternative to juice.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

My kid is in kindergarten. How do you handle talking to them about bomb threats to their school? Or do you not? There have been multiple so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

worse, probably in America

Bomb threats were much more of a high school thing as a kid. I'm surprised OP gets them at a kindergarten level - is this some kind of K-8 / K-12 joint? I also thought they were a bit passe now and that the cool kids are threatening to shoot up the joint.

Crazy people, what can you say? They threatened the whole school district.