Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

car dance posted:

Anyone have good suggestions for a sippy cup? My daughter is great at nipples and has used a variety of them. She still will drink out of a bottle okay but if there's water in it she is not happy and will just put down the bottle. I tried just giving her a cup but she choked herself, even with me helping her do it slowly. She really wants to drink out of a cup so I wanted to get her a training cup or a sippy cup but there are so many different options and varying reviews so if you have one that worked for you, I'd love to know about it so I don't spend too much money looking for one she'll like. Thanks!

How old? My son skipped sippy cups completely and went straight to straw cups. I think he was somewhere around 14-16 months. Straw cups are better for their mouth/speech development anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Dear Prudence posted:

Other's have great ideas for the kid, but if you want to avoid people being bitchy, you may want to buy a lot of ear plugs and let people know you're giving them out for free and that you're sorry if she cries, etc.

I personally think this is a bit much. Babies are a part of life, people deal with it. You don't have to apologise to strangers just for having a kid. You just do your best.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
We aren't going to do Santa as a real figure to believe in either. I will tell him it's a fun story and fun to pretend but that other people believe in it and that that's okay too and it's not nice to tell other people he's not real. Same thing with similar things like the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy. I won't lie to him but I also want to teach him to respect what other people believe.

I'm not a big fan to begin with of the concept because it feels like it's reinforcing that good behavior is for the sake of being rewarded and Getting Stuff instead of for its own sake and reinforcing that it's just a holiday about Getting Stuff. But that may be reading too much into it ;)

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
This could probably use reposting.

“Tricky People” Are the New Strangers

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

frenchnewwave posted:

I think you're all probably right and last night was an experiment to see if she could/would sleep on her own. I never let it get to crying, just endless fussing. I am getting so much pressure from friends, family, dr, that if she doesn't learn to self soothe now, I'll be dealing with this for years to come. I'm a first time mom, sometimes I don't know wtf to believe.

So, probably the best thing to do is just let her nurse to sleep so at least both of us get some sleep. Maybe she's just not ready yet.

My son required patting for literally up to two hours per night to go to sleep until into his second year, and then one night like a light switch he didn't need us anymore. He just lay down and fell asleep alone and the patting was over forever and he still falls asleep happily by himself at nearly 4. She will learn to self-soothe when she is ready to, I promise. She will at some point stop needing to eat overnight, and she'll learn that you'll still be there if she needs you and it's not so scary to go to sleep by herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
My son will be 4 in August and he's still rearfacing. He's 37 pounds, which is about the 60th percentile for his age. He's currently in the Graco My Ride 65 which rearfaces to 40 pounds, but we're planning to get a Diono RadianRXT when we can for the extra 5 pounds of rearfacing (and the fact that it also converts to a booster seat!)