Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Man I went onto the page recommended in the OP, "allfortheboys.com", and every post was sponsored content. I guess success got the better of them at some point?

virinvictus posted:

he gets frustrated with new experiences.

When we try to help him walk one-handed, he will scream the whole time but while actually doing it. When I put him on his belly, since the age of four months, he goes into a screaming fit until he is being held. I've only been able to handle about 10-15 minutes of not giving in, with no success nor pause in screams. He's only taken a step while not being held, immediately realized he wasn't holding onto anything, and threw himself at me.

He spends a lot of the day walking along the couch, and can go from the couch to the coffee table for hours before getting bored- but if you interrupt it, he then also has a fit.

I don't remember my oldest, ten now, being this stubborn. Hence, why I'm asking for any suggestions.

(My emphasis.)

Ask your doctor about autism spectrum disorders. This looks like a textbook case. (I am not a doctor.)

My friend's eldest was the same way and didn't get diagnosed until three years old because they didn't have a baseline for comparison. You have the benefit of an older child so your intuition is already leading you right.
There are ways to cope with the disorder and the sooner he gets diagnosed, the sooner you can start finding ways to help your kid overcome.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
US parents, are there a ton of formulas to choose from in your market?
Over here (🇪🇺), the market is extremely heavily regulated with regard to composition. It's to the point where there are only really two brands in stores, Nestlé and Semper. Each has a number of varietes but mostly for, like 0-6 mo, 6-12 mo, etc.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

GladRagKraken posted:

It's been a year or two but my local grocery store had maybe 3-5 different brands, each with a few varieties a piece, probably owned by the same conglomerate up the chain, and all full of corn syrup. We do have quite a few to choose from if you're willing to order online.

Corn syrup? Both brands in my store are based on cow milk. Desalinated whey protein, lactose, and some vegetable oils, mostly.

Interesting. I'm sure the difference is all based on differing nutritional needs of babies, and not on what our respective agricultural sectors need to offload...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Public Serpent posted:

We've had all kinds of dangerous poo poo in the crib with all our kids (well, blankets and the occasional stuffed toy at least). Fwiw, the swedish SIDS guidelines are a lot less strict. Most babies I know here sleep with at least a flat pillow and thin blanket pretty much from birth. We're just told to keep their face clear and keep them on their back. I guess in some places "keeping the face clear" means no loose objects in the crib... If your baby is happy with her monkey and blanket, I'd say let her have her monkey and blanket.

I'm in Sweden, too, and we were told in no uncertain terms by our pediatric nurse that pillows are right out for newborns.

OTOH, I never heard of babies older than three months being at risk from SIDS. For a 7 month old, I'd say knock yourself out! (I am still not a doctor.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Public Serpent posted:

Really! Where in Sweden, if you don't mind sharing? I'm in Stockholm and we were recommended a pillow by both a doctor and BVC to prevent a malformed skull. I wondered about it since I'd also read so many English sources saying absolutely no pillows. (Of course, they did specify that it can't be a normal, fluffy pillow but one of those flat baby ones)

Interesting! We're in the VG-regionen, but I'd have expected the recommendations to be nationally coordinated. The advice about not using pillow was at BB. The BVC nurse didn't mention it until I asked at the home visit, and she said basically "sure, that's fine, don't use a pillow" which I guess is as good advice as any.

I did a fair bit of reading (who doesn't love to second-guess healthcare professionals), and the national medical advisory board (Socialstyrelsen) say the evidence are inconclusive, both for using a pillow to prevent a malformed scull, and against a pillow to prevent SIDS. Hence pillows are not mentioned at all in their official advice (English version linked).

This is a literature review geared towards healthcare professionals. They don't do anything half-assed, do they. Evidence for and against pillows are at p 11ff:
https://www.socialstyrelsen.se/Lists/Artikelkatalog/Attachments/19370/2014-3-3.pdf

Nonetheless, one of the preeminent experts working at said Board says in this interview that pillows are a risk factor: :nws: https://www.babybaby.se/2015/04/svar-fran-socialstyrelsen/ (Highly recommend that blog BTW, she has some rock solid advice about breastfeeding. NWS for boobs being fed to babies.)

I like to err at the side of caution. Baby sleeps on her back, has no pillow, spends some time on her belly when awake. So far so good (three weeks now) and fingers crossed. If her head ends up flattened, who gives a poo poo... :)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 14, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

life is killing me posted:

I'm not even sure when TO add a blanket in the crib. 1 year? I feel like SIDS risk is from suffocation when baby doesn't know what the hell it is and pulls it over his or her head unwittingly, then suffocates as he or she lay there crying needing help because they have blanket on their face and can't breathe. At what point does a baby know not to pull a blanket over their head or at least enough to move it out of the way?

Officially I think the word is, babies over one year's age are no longer at risk of crib death. So I suppose some time before or around 12 months? I would have guessed a lot sooner though, myself.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cocks Cable posted:

We've been struggling with feeding our 12 week year old for the past 5 days now and we're growing quite concerned. This is the first time she has really given us any real worrisome patience trying difficulty. She is formula fed with a bottle. Before this she ate wonderfully and easily took 4 to 5 oz at a time and would easily average around 24 oz a day. But for the past 5 days or so, her average dropped to around 18 oz. We're lucky to get 3 oz into her at a time. And feeding her has become an increasing struggle of patience. She turns her head a lot more from side to side. She fights the nipple with her tongue and almost refuses to latch. Sometimes she even cries in what seems like annoyance at our audacity to try and get her eat a little more. Is this normal? Is it just a phase or something? I don't understand what has changed and fear my child is not getting enough to continue growing. Diapers seem normal (several wet ones and 1 poop a day). General mood seems normal as well. She smiles a lot. Weight is hard to track with out an accurate scale, but we crudely estimate she possibly gained 0.5 lb in the last 2 weeks or at least maintained her weight.

Do you mean 12 week old? First sentence doesn't parse for me.

Are you seeing a pediatric nurse regularly? I understand if not, considering the expense if that's not covered by your insurance, but IMO it's a very good idea to at least keep accurate track of your infant's weight something like once a week. There are standard weight curves to follow, and if her weight veers off course that's a clear indication for seeing a professional.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

baquerd posted:

I have a good kitchen scale https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Scale-Bakers-KD8000-Weight/dp/B00VEKX35Y that I can verify is calibrated and does basically gram level accuracy up to ~17lbs. Been weighing our newborn on it using a sheet pan with a silpat and tea towel to make a stable platform. It lets us easily trend her weight and DIY the charts, and it's dead on with the doctor's office.
Looks nice. Ours only goes to 4000g so wouldn't cut it any longer. Even the cat is too heavy...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't have the research easily available but a parent reading to a child on a daily basis is usually more important than early reading development.

This. Teach them to appreciate a good story well told, and they will be motivated to learn to read eventually. If nothing else, to be able to read their favorite book when you're not around. If they don't read fluently by the time they start school, so what? School is well equipped to teach them rote things like letters, sounding, spelling, etc.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

a friendly penguin posted:

Dyslexia is definitely heritable.

Fun fact: The king of Sweden has dyslexia, and so do two out of his three children. In his youth, before this was public knowledge, he was perceived as a bit of a bumbling fool after tripping up in his speeches quite often. It's hard to speak in public when you're not able to read off your notes fluently...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

My sons 2.5 months old and so confusing!!!
[...] He still prefers to sleep on us instead of his bassinet in our room. And he prefers his bassinet in our room (while we’re in our bed trying to sleep), to his crib in his own room by himself. We have another white noise machine coming today for his room, so hopefully he can start sleeping in his crib at night and we’ll stop being woken up by grunts.

I don't mean this as criticism in any way, I'm genuinely curious: what is the reasoning behind having such a young baby sleep in his own room? I guess you have to do a lot more walking that way? :-)

We've been told by healthcare ppl that the safest sleeping arrangement is a cot or bassinet in the parent's room until at least 3 months old for reasons of SIDS prevention, but I know recommendations vary between countries. In short, when is the proper time for Baby to move into their own room? Is own-room arrangement just a way for Baby Stuff Inc. to sell more baby monitors? Etc.

Also, I see a lot of people in this thread talking about white noise. I feel like a complete noob because I never heard of them from parents I've met. Do you use them because your home has a lot of noise (older siblings or outside noise etc), or is it for babies who have trouble sleeping even in quiet environments?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 15, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

Our pediatrician recommended we try to move him at 2 months. Our baby makes a ton of grunting noises that don’t really happen when he sleeps during the day, but only at night. He might last an hour with no grunting but that’s it. The pediatrician isn’t concerned about it and she normally recommends trying to move the kid to their own room so we can get some sleep and aren’t stirred by every little thing he does.
Yeah, that does sound annoying with such an amount of grunting. We get it too with our 7-wo but it's not enough that we lose sleep over it. Lucky break, I guess.

nwin posted:

We have a baby monitor, there’s nothing loose in his crib, and he’s swaddled up and doesn’t currently roll over, so all those things point to a low risk for SIDS. His room is also right next door so the only difference from the bassinet is a wall between us.

Yeah as I said I didn't mean it as criticism, just wondering about how different the recommendations seem to be in different places.

BTW I'm pretty sure the literature says swaddling is "neutral" WRT SIDS (ie it does not help or hurt). Though it helps some babies sleep better.

nwin posted:

I’ve always slept with a fan for the white noise, but when we had him in our room we noticed it cooled down the room a bit too much for him so we got a white noise machine instead. I’ve noticed it helps out with him sleeping so we got one for his room too. I think they are used to noises when moms pregnant with him and I think it helps drown out random noises from the house when he’s sleeping but we aren’t.

Cool, glad to hear it helps. Just wasn't sure how come 100% of this thread seems to know about white noise machines when I haven't ever seen one in a store or heard mention of them from friends/relatives with kids. Must be a regional/national thing? I'm googling in my local language and basically finding nothing apart from foreign web shops.

Is there any research on white noise, does it objectively help sleeping or is it all anecdotal?

DangerZoneDelux posted:

White noise machines have kept my kids asleep through every thunderstorm and fireworks extravaganza for 4 years now.

Are they able to sleep without it, too, or has the machine become one more thing you have to lug whenever you travel?
Will it be a lot of work to train them out of it?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 16, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

A friend of ours who runs a nanny agency said basically the same thing. She's supposed to look after our children - we're not supposed to look after her (usual employer responsibilities aside).

Don't be shy about explaining this to her, either. It's valuable feedback that she needs to bring to her next employment, whatever it is. Nothing worse than getting fired and not knowing what you did wrong.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Boz0r posted:

He'll usually wake up 2-3 times in a night, and we take turns feeding him(I give him a bottle), and at around 5:00-6:00 he'll begin grunting and pushing and unable to fall back to sleep.

At that age, he should be physically able to eat enough in the evening that he doesn't need to eat again until morning. Unless there's something special about preemies' digestion I don't know about. The trick would be to get enough food in him in the evening to "knock him out", however you would accomplish that. His trouble breastfeeding may be related to not sleeping, he might be too tired/grumpy to eat properly?

Ours is only 8 weeks and is sleeping 6-7 hours at night this since she was 4w. She has her usual feeding frenzy between 7pm and 10 where she wants to eat constantly and pees/poops like crazy. To put her down, a trick we used before the milk was flowing properly: breastfeed as long as there is still anything left, and then feed her formula on top. Put her right out. That way, you interfere minimally with mom's milk production.

If breast feeding doesn't work, don't be afraid to use formula! A person can drive themselves crazy thinking they'd be a bad person for doing so. But remember that your baby needs parents who are not sleep deprived to the point of depression more than she needs whatever the breast milk provides.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sheri posted:

A lot of babies still do need to eat overnight, especially when they are only 12 weeks adjusted age and a preemie. Some babies will not wake at that age and that's fine but others definitely still need to eat overnight at that age.

Yes but 2-3 times every night sounds like there is room for improvement.
Anyway the important point I'm trying to make is to not wear yourselves out with the things that don't really matter - if bottle feeding works better, do it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

baquerd posted:

Any recommended exercises for a slightly flat head? She likes to turn her head to the left, we're doing everything we can to manually move her head to the right as often as possible. Plenty of tummy time and such. 6 weeks old. Doctor is saying nothing more than keep doing that, but also says physical therapy is recommended if it doesn't improve, but refuses to tell us to do anything else.

Sounds like your doctor is afraid to step into physiotherapist territory. Some don't like to give any output apart from prescriptions...

We noticed our (then three weeks old) was turning right more than left. The only thing we have done was put her the other way around in her crib. We figured it was because at night, she was turning right, towards the sound of her parents. Turned out to work well, as a few weeks later she is looking left and right more equally. It might have balanced out anyway, over time, but I like to think it was that switch that did it.
Pediatric nurse wasn't seeing any sign of head deformity before, for me it's more about developing the next muscles equally to help head stability.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I still wouldn't worry about a baby getting his own pee on his face. Wipe it off, you'll wash him properly soon enough...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Boz0r posted:

I think we'll try the 10 min thing tonight and hope for the best. Normally when we put him down without him sleeping he'll cry until he throws up and almost chokes himself, but we figure he's so tired at night he won't have the energy for that.

We tried a bunch of swaddles, but when we wrap him he goes totally crazy and wants out. Again, screaming until he throws up :)

Since the advice to do "the 10 minute thing" has come up in the thread, I feel the need to point out that it's a highly debated method and you should read up on its downsides before diving blindly in.

The are methods called "5-10-15 rule", "sleep training" or similar, which advocate leaving the baby to cry it out for progressively longer times in order to presumably teach the child to fall asleep by itself.

I don't mean to parent-shame anyone who does this and I don't mean to start a debate, everyone is entitled to raise their child however they see fit.

There are many who believe this is effective and harmless, and then there are others who say it is harmful (to the point of potentially doing lasting psychological or even neurological harm), and yet others who say it is ineffective (as in, the baby does not actually "learn" to sleep better, it only seems that way because they give up on crying). I don't want you to think this is the one and only way to deal with sleep problems, and I think you should make up your own mind.

The below is a fairly good intro to the various arguments against sleep training. Not many links to sources but it's well summarized.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/sarah-ockwellsmith/baby-sleep-training_b_10196792.html

Here's one saying it harms brain development, I'll quote the scarmongeringest part for your benefit. It's a bit on the extreme side but this opinion has some scientific support.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/moral-landscapes/201611/sleep-train-baby-don-t

quote:

“Cry it out” means letting a baby cry until they stop—until they give up hope that you will come to relieve their misery. Do you want your child to give up hope toward you? That’s not a good beginning to a trusting relationship with you or with their own needs. It’s like creating a neurobiological foundation of quick sand. You are creating gaps in what should be growing at that time because you are creating toxic stress that decreases growth and even melts synapses (neuronal connections linked to intelligence) when the stress hormone, cortisol, gets too high for too long.

Someone else can probably supply literature in favor of sleep training, I'm not that person. As I said, this is a debated topic and I don't think it's fair to give advice to new parents about one side of the argument and not the other.

(Maybe the thread has already been over this countless times and I'm committing a faux-pas, let me know. I know this isn't D&D and I'm honestly not looking to upset anyone.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

laxbro posted:

I understand the defensive tone of Hedgehog's post since it seems like this thread has formed a general consensus that sleep training is the best/only option and you'd be foolish not to do it.

Exactly my view as well. A plurality of opinions is not necessarily bad.

baquerd posted:

I'm increasingly convinced that the key to happiness and healthy kids is ignoring people trying to tell you that you're parenting wrong. The sort of people that feel they have the right to do that are the worst people to listen to.

This is very true. This thread is generally very good about not telling others they're doing it wrong (it's made explicit in the OP). Still, when someone specifically asks for advice (like on what to do with a kid that won't go to sleep), it must be permissible to have some disagreement about the merits of advice given as response. I'll let the topic rest, but I stand by my previous post.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

life is killing me posted:

We sent four 4oz bottles to daycare with him for months, and there's always one full bottle left when we get him. So in short, we may have missed a cue or two that he was ready for more formula per meal and consequently underfeeding him at daycare and at bedtime.

So, at first I though, why wouldn't the day care workers have clued you in that the kid seemed willing to take more per meal?
Then I googled "what is day care in the US" and first relevant hit was this.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.355e8d51e405
(That link's the Cliff Notes of a longread article, linked in the link.)

Ouch. Average $15k a year to put an infant in day care in the most expensive state (Massachusetts). Yet "In 2011, the median annual salary for a child care worker was $19,430, less than a parking lot attendant or a janitor." Yeah, I shouldn't expect much from a daycare worker then, I guess. (Makes you wonder where the daycare workers' kids are...)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

VanSandman posted:

Is there a guide to how much you should feed a 3-month old? I'm trying to make sure she gets at least 24 oz of formula or breast milk a day but I have no way of making sure it happens.
My wife is VERY anti-formula, which sucks because baby girl doesn't do boobs to well during the day but will suck down a bottle of anything warm. My wife pumps, but I don't know how we're going to deal with increased demand as the baby gets older since her supply hasn't been growing much.

Hey, your breastfeeding question got kinda buried there.
I suppose you might already have heard all this but here goes:

• It's normal for a baby of that age to eat rarely during the day and "cluster feeding" in the evening. Don't sweat it, baby will tell you when she's hungry.
  • Supply increases the more you breastfeed. If you can give her the boob first every time she's hungry, then top her up with formula only if she's still hungry, you stand a better chance of getting production up to the level of demand.
  • For many women*, pumping is significantly less effective than direct feeding, in achieving the above. As in, it does not increase production as much. *(Some have the opposite experience because of physiology (theirs or the baby's))
  • In the past, doctors and nurses would tell women "you don't seem to have enough milk, you should switch to formula". Now, they give the above advice instead. The current science is that most mothers have the capacity to fully breastfeed their baby if given the time and right advice.
  • How much baby eats by volume is irrelevant if she's putting on weight and growing. Use a growth chart, not a measuring cup.
  • Baby has to work to eat at the breast. The nipple on a bottle is much easier to eat from since it normally doesn't require suction. Hence why most breastfeeding advice says to use cup feeding (not bottle) if you really want get your baby fully breast-fed. (We tried cup feeding and it turned out messy as hell and really tried our patience. Ask me about special bottles that mimic boob mechanics...)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
That normally happens within two to four months, I think. I wouldn't sweat it at 18 weeks, but you could get him one of those "baby gym" things if you haven't already. Stuff to reach for.
https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/leka-baby-gym-birch-multicolor-70108177/
This is the one we have.

Babies develop at different paces, the milestones are only guidelines.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 27, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Boz0r posted:

My 20 week old boy is having some days where he won't eat anything until the afternoon. Today, he didn't eat from 7 till 14. He's not in a bad mood, but he's totally out of energy, and he can't sleep. It's very frustrating for my girlfriend, who's home on maternity leave, since she has to sit with him in her arm all day, since he'll get fussy if she puts him down.

Any tips for getting the little dude to eat? He's almost exclusively bottle fed, but gets some porridge and vegetable puree, but he won't eat them either when he's like this.

Sarah posted:

I wonder if he’s having some night / morning allergies that are giving him some congestion and in turn causing him to not want to eat until the afternoon when typically pollen / allergens are fewer or his congestion is cleared.

I don't know of any pollen that declines as early as by 2 pm...

I've been hearing it's fairly normal for babies to eat very little during the day and "cluster feed" in the evenings. It's hard to get them to eat when they're not hungry!
How about walks, does he take to the pram well during the day? Rolling around usually settles the worst of tempers and it can be a good escape for mommy. A well rested baby might even have the energy to eat...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bardeh posted:

No, everything's finished now and he knows that. He did ask, but we reassured him that she'll never need to go away like that again.

Maybe he has trouble trusting that reassurance since he experienced her leaving once before. In that case, I would expect him to adjust to it over time. Just a thought, I have no relevant experience to speak of.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hey so I read this interesting thing. Unrelated to the question about biting, I promise!
Has anyone tried either of these techniques? Our baby is only four months old so I have time to evaluate different approaches...

They save the meat for the end of the article so I'll quote them here but do read the entire thing, it's interesting.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/03/13/685533353/a-playful-way-to-teach-kids-to-control-their-anger

quote:

The culture views scolding — or even speaking to children in an angry voice — as inappropriate, says Lisa Ipeelie, a radio producer and mom who grew up with 12 siblings. "When they're little, it doesn't help to raise your voice," she says. "It will just make your own heart rate go up."

quote:

When a child in the camp acted in anger — hit someone or had a tantrum — there was no punishment. Instead, the parents waited for the child to calm down and then, in a peaceful moment, did something that Shakespeare would understand all too well: They put on a drama. (As the Bard once wrote, "the play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king.")

"The idea is to give the child experiences that will lead the child to develop rational thinking," Briggs told the CBC in 2011.

In a nutshell, the parent would act out what happened when the child misbehaved, including the real-life consequences of that behavior.

The parent always had a playful, fun tone. And typically the performance starts with a question, tempting the child to misbehave.

For example, if the child is hitting others, the mom may start a drama by asking: "Why don't you hit me?"

Then the child has to think: "What should I do?" If the child takes the bait and hits the mom, she doesn't scold or yell but instead acts out the consequences. "Ow, that hurts!" she might exclaim.

The mom continues to emphasize the consequences by asking a follow-up question. For example: "Don't you like me?" or "Are you a baby?" She is getting across the idea that hitting hurts people's feelings, and "big girls" wouldn't hit. But, again, all questions are asked with a hint of playfulness.

The parent repeats the drama from time to time until the child stops hitting the mom during the dramas and the misbehavior ends.

[...]

In other words, the dramas offer kids a chance to practice controlling their anger, Miller says, during times when they're not actually angry.

This practice is likely critical for children learning to control their anger. Because here's the thing about anger: Once someone is already angry, it is not easy for that person to squelch it — even for adults.

Sounds like it would require a lot of patience?

The other technique described is less novel but on the other hand, I've actually met parents who did this:

quote:

For example, how do you teach kids to stay away from the ocean, where they could easily drown? Instead of yelling, "Don't go near the water!" Jaw says Inuit parents take a pre-emptive approach and tell kids a special story about what's inside the water. "It's the sea monster," Jaw says, with a giant pouch on its back just for little kids.

"If a child walks too close to the water, the monster will put you in his pouch, drag you down to the ocean and adopt you out to another family," Jaw says.

"Then we don't need to yell at a child," Jaw says, "because she is already getting the message."

Inuit parents have an array of stories to help children learn respectful behavior, too. For example, to get kids to listen to their parents, there is a story about ear wax, says film producer Myna Ishulutak.

"My parents would check inside our ears, and if there was too much wax in there, it meant we were not listening," she says.

And parents tell their kids: If you don't ask before taking food, long fingers could reach out and grab you, Ishulutak says.

Then there's the story of northern lights, which helps kids learn to keep their hats on in the winter.

"Our parents told us that if we went out without a hat, the northern lights are going to take your head off and use it as a soccer ball," Ishulutak says. "We used to be so scared!" she exclaims and then erupts in laughter.

At first, these stories seemed to me a bit too scary for little children. And my knee-jerk reaction was to dismiss them. But my opinion flipped 180 degrees after I watched my own daughter's response to similar tales — and after I learned more about humanity's intricate relationship with storytelling.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pseudomonas posted:

As for the second technique, we used to live in the country from when my kid was 1 until 5 years old. The house was about 300m from an unfenced dam (that we could not fence) and I was always mindful that it was an excellent drowning hazard. They were a kid that didn't tend to run away or wander and we were always very careful to play away from the dam and keep them supervised when outside. From about the age of 2, i told them that there was a monster in the dam that ate kids who went to the dam by themselves. It seemed to work without creating too much fear or anxiety. It wasn't like it gave them nightmares and we didn't stop being safe around the dam but they were always very mindful to stay close to an adult when we were at the dam and never tried to go up there by themselves.

Also after reading that article last week, I tried the monster thing for a more mundane struggle. Kiddo (now 6) was wet and cold after having a water fight after school and didn't want to get out of their wet clothes to go out for dinner and was getting cranky. After asking normally a couple of times, I told them (clearly jokingly) that if they went outside the cold spirits would nibble their wet cold arms and toes and that's why they needed to get changed. Kid stopped whining and flopping around and happily got dressed. Idk coz both we both knew my reasoning was nonsense but maybe it stopped being a mundane nagging chore from a parent and became a kooky personal responsibility (not to get nibbled by spirits?) :iiam:

Yeah I guess sometimes they're just in the mood for play-talk? 6 year olds can sometimes be reasoned with, sometimes not...

I really think the article is on to something about learning through narrative. I know some parents who don't have a playful bone in their body and just explain the rules and what will happen if they're broken. Let's say their results have not been spectacular... I think part of the problem is, a 3 year old doesn't understand risk and "might happen"s. You tell them "if go down by the dam on your own, you could fall in, and we won't be around to save you so you could drown" - that's just too many ifs and coulds, they'll either forget about it or think "I'll just make sure not to fall in" and go anyway. Better make it an inevitability like you did, the monster will eat them.

My GF's mom did this with roads; if you go into the street, a car will come and run you over, and you'll be a small wet spot on the pavement. She still remembers it to this day and during her whole upbringing, she was super careful about looking both ways. You don't need to get too graphic, but just the right amount apparently does the trick...

I really want to have the kind of life where I have time to do "corrective playing" too, we'll see how that goes in due time.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Boz0r posted:

It may be an effect of him being 10 weeks premature, so the first six weeks of his life was spent lying on our chests. It's not daycare yet, though. We have 52 weeks parental leave here in Denmark. It would be wonderful to send him away for a couple of hours a day, though :D

So stoked about starting my 6 month stint as a paid-by-the-state stay-at-hom dad in June when Mom's 6 months are over. Then to figure out how do divide up the remaining 4, how much to save for later etc.
Sweden gives 480 days of paid parental leave, per child. When a colleague had twins, we basically didn't see him for a year.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hey, since we're discussion nutrition and two posts mentioned rice cereal...

I was surprised to learn that the authorities in my country have officially started recommending against giving a lot of rice to babies and toddlers, due to the arsenic content. In particular, parents here used to let babies munch on rice cakes (it keeps them busy), but those are even recommended against now. Rice based drinks are also right out.

https://www.livsmedelsverket.se/en/food-and-content/oonskade-amnen/metaller/arsenik-i-ris

quote:

However, children should not eat rice and rice products – rice pudding, rice noodles and rice snacks – more than four times a week

Children who eat rice every day, or perhaps several times a day, ingest a lot of arsenic. So you should try and vary your diet and eat less rice.

[...]
The EU has agreed on maximum levels for arsenic in rice, which came into force 1 January 2016. The Swedish National Food Agency believes the new maximum levels are too high to offer sufficient protection for consumers from a high intake of arsenic from rice and rice products. We are therefore lobbying to get future maximum levels further reduced.

The FDA does not recommend against it completely, but has some similarly hefty caveats:
https://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm633755.htm

quote:

Rice tends to absorb arsenic more readily than other crops, however, consumers can certainly eat rice as part of a well-balanced diet. For infants, this includes infant rice cereal. The AAP advises parents to feed infants and toddlers a variety of grains as part of a well-balanced diet. Rice cereal fortified with iron is a good source of nutrients for your baby, but it shouldn’t be the only source and does not need to be the first source. Other iron fortified infant cereals include oat, barley and multigrain. In addition to being nutritious, they are similarly effective as rice for infants with esophageal reflux tendencies.

Published studies, including research by the FDA, show that cooking rice similar to how pasta is cooked can reduce 40 to 60 percent of the inorganic arsenic content, depending on the type of rice.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tonton Macoute posted:

It also does not seem like it would be okay to complain about this to anyone. I'm normally able to tell myself that things like this pass, but do they really?

Regarding venting, I found this article to be a great help when going through a crisis.
http://cascadiaworkshops.com/the-ring-theory-of-venting/

Your wife is in the center and you are the first circle of support. Your job is to support her and find a second circle you can vent to. That could be your parents, a sibling, a friend, a healthcare professional. Their job is to support you, and they can vent to the next circle. It's vital that you don't get this backwards, which is oh so common. Never even HINT to her that her sickness is causing trouble for you - you do not want to put that on the shoulders of someone with depression. I know this can be extremely difficult, and you have tough times ahead of you. Make use of that second circle.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

baquerd posted:

I don't think oat/almond/rice milk has much potential to cause digestive issues because I think only animal milk has lactose and the proteins kids can get intolerance to unless it's added.

Be careful with rice milk, that's not for babies anymore due to contains too much arsenic. (See also my previous post.)

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2016/05/19/Arsenic051916

The American Academy of Pediatrics posted:

Avoid processed foods containing brown rice sweetener, and do not use rice milk instead of cow’s milk.
(My emphasis.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Fool posted:

I'm not sure what would have been different in the BOB design to cause problems, those quick release tires have been around for a long time on bicycles.

Apparently poor engineering on that particular design. Most bike wheels don't fall off either, still the article mentions over a dozen bike models have been recalled for the same problem.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Boz0r posted:

We also try getting him to sleep with a security blanket to associate that with sleep.

His crib is next to our bed, I don't know if that makes a huge difference. And my girlfriend isn't comfortable with him sleeping in his own room yet, especially with the noise going all night, potentially drowning out his cries.

I would still keep his bed in your room, unless you know for sure he's being woken up by noises you make. In my experience, babies that wake up at night do it for internal reasons, not external ones... Him being able to hear you breathing and snoring might just as well act as a comforting factor.
Swedish doctors recommend babies to sleep in the parents' room until at least 12 months old, since evidence suggests it lowers the risk of SIDS.

Speaking of which, about the security blanket, are you making sure it is staying away from his face? Loose fabrics is a contributing risk factor for SIDS. (You probably know all about this, but I have to ask.)

Tell us more about the problem situations. Sounds like the problem is mostly with his naps during daytime? He falls asleep OK at bedtime?
Are you feeding him just before putting him down for naps? Burping?
Pacifier?

Boz0r posted:

He eats most of his food at night, so he usually wakes for two bottles at night, but lately he's begun waking more often, without being hungry, wanting to be rocked to sleep.
This part, I think is quite common as they grow. He's now capable of eating enough before bedtime, but other things make him not go back to sleep on his own. Some kids are just poor sleepers - I guess others will propose "sleep training", i would say keep rocking that baby if that's what baby wants...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 16, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
We'll likely be enrolling our child in the city pre-school at age 14 or 16 months, when our paid parental leave starts to run out.

The cost will be about $150 per month at the current exchange rate (diapers not included). After she turns three years old, it's $100.

It's calculated according to household income, and we'll be paying the maximum rate. Low income means no fee. Kids with special needs pay half price.

Ask me about living in a socialist welfare state.

zingiber posted:

Here are Some Weird Tricks because I am posting during a baby nap, gonna just dump em all here...

--and honestly, 1 beer a day worked wonders for me, if your values agree with that. Current science says that you can drink alcohol in small amounts like that and as long as you're not feeling drunk, breastfeeding is ok.

Seconded. Apparently this works because alcohol does the same thing to milk supply as it does to pee supply. So, one drink per day is now no longer recommended against here (but neither is it recommended per se).
Just don't get drunk and fumble picking up the baby...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 24, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

zingiber posted:

Also we have a portable noise machine

... also known as "a car".
(Don't worry, she'll sleep as much as she needs to.)

Do consider the baby needs to get out of her car seat every now and then, too. Last recommendation I heard was no more than 2 hours at a time for smaller babies - not sure what they say about 3 month olds.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Sarah posted:

She won’t make those noises forever, it’s normal for infants to be noisy sleepers at first. I took 4 months off of work and my daughter was barely making any noise at all by the time I went back.

Something about the cartilage in the palate not being firm enough yet. Ours stopped making the noises within her second month but YMMV.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DaveSauce posted:

She's 20 months and now fully comprehends the meaning of "no."

I don't have any personal experience to base advice on, but you've already understood the basic mechanism: she's grasped that she's allowed to say "no" to things and exert her own will, so she's practicing it. It may help you if you choose to see it in a positive light of her developing an ego.

It'll be another year or two before she learns that she can tell lies. Imagine how fun that will be!

As for how to handle the "saying no to everything" phase, I've heard others give the advice to avoid phrasing stuff as a question. You might already be doing this.
Example: If you ask her "do you need to go potty before we leave", and she says "no" (which she will, always), and you manhandle her over to the bathroom anyway, she will throw a (somewhat justified) fit because you went against her express wish. It's better to be no-nonsense about it up front: "Before we can go out, you need to go potty."

I don't know how much good that advice is, I've not gotten to the Toddlerdome level yet.

Edit:
vvv So, how many weeks along are you? Sounds like a normal and desirable development, but it's icky. Hopefully your production will settle at the right amount at the right time...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 16, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

marchantia posted:

So I'm now nervous it's been like...12+ hrs with no poops. It's this bad or normal?

We asked the same at our pediatric nurse. She told us it's normal for newborns to poop anything from 10 times a day to once a fortnight. (As long as they are making something like six wet diapers a day, can't recall the number.) Ours has been breastfed and went from five poops a day to two, then one every 48 hours for the first week she got to taste solids. A teaspoon of cereal per day was enough to cause that... Still, if baby doesn't seem to be in pain, slow digestion is perfectly fine.

Apparently formula often leads to slower digestion for some reason. If you really have issues with constipation, there may be special formulas for that - with added acidity to make it easier to digest, is one variant I've seen locally.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Heners_UK posted:

Wish I could find that Facebook post that my fiancee held up recently of blowouts from shoulders to ankles

TBF poop up to the armpits will still happen with regular 24h poops

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Air tires? Prepare for having a flat at the worst possible moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tamarillo posted:

Speaking of baby food: my six month old is avidly watching us eat, and is very enthused about putting the spoon in his mouth BY HIMSELF (gets stroppy if he can't 'drive' and I can almost hear the "I DO IT MYSELF") but is still spitting out baby food on the regular. It's not a tongue thrust, he'll take food into his mouth, swirl it round then spit it out. I try him at least once per day on solids and have tried a variety of different vegies, but he seems pretty happy with the status quo of spoon in mouth and food on clothes. I gather this is pretty common, but anyone got any tips?

Yeah at six months that's pretty much par for the course. They take to it eventually. It takes time to get the tongue gymnastics right, chewing instead of suckling. Keep at it! If you don't practice now, it's not going to get easier later.