Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Lyz posted:

Chris has started a lovely pattern or waking up at 3:30am and NOT GOING THE gently caress BACK TO SLEEP.

Our boy has the same problem, so you have my sympathies. I would love to hear what advice others might have for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Ben Davis posted:

Other favorites are spinach, asparagus, grape leaves, feta, bread, chick pea soup, lentil soup, spanakopita...

Are you pureeing foods for Kosta? We are trying the baby led weaning method (no purees) and find our little guy (9 months) has a hard time with leafy foods like lettuce or spinach. If you are giving Kosta pieces of spinach, I would be really interested in how he is dealing with them.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

At what age did your kid stop having any middle of the night feedings? E is coming up on 10 months and like clockwork wakes up at 2:30am to eat. How do I tell he is ready to drop that feeding?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Toadpuppy posted:

I counted the calories my daughter was getting during the day, and when that added up to her daily needs, we stopped the night feedings. And no, since that sounds weird, I wasn't feeding her based on calories, I just used the calorie count as a guideline to make sure she'd eaten enough during the day.

That sounds like a good method and I would try it, but since I am breastfeeding, I don't really know how many calories he is taking in during the day.

I have been thinking about just slowly moving back the 2:30 am feeding by 15 minute increments, but don't know if I can listen to him cry for 15 minutes to be fed. Argh, babies!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

My kids woke up for a nighttime snack for awhile after they were weaned.

Here's the page on Kellymom about nightweaning: http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/weaning-night/

I wouldn't leave a 10 month old to cry for food.

Agreed. I am really just looking for assurance (and advice, so) that I won't be waking up at 2:30 every morning for the next year or so. This will end at some point, right?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

car dance posted:

Pretty sure no one mentioned this but if you want some "modern" lullaby stuff there's over 20 Rock A Bye Baby albums that are stuff like Radiohead and Metallica played with baby sounding instruments. Some of them are really good.

We own the Aerosmith one and E loves it. The heavy use of the glockenspiel is pretty awesome.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

The general consensus among the moms in our playgroup is that the spitting up ends/dramatically decreases once the baby is able to sit up on their own. It definitely worked that way for us. There is light at the end of the tunnel...

WatchingMidgetsFrak and Awesome Krisitin, your babies are adorable.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

ChloroformSeduction posted:

It's weird. I have these moments where I tear up a little looking at tiny baby pictures, or coming across old clothing (or seeing other babies, and realizing that my kid used to be that small), but then I have other times where I can't wait until we can do awesome stuff like rides at Disneyworld, or snowboard/surfing and go to rad museums and stuff. It's a weird combination of feelings.

I have the same problem. But I don't want to waste our time together either pining for the past or impatiently waiting for the future, so as cliche as it is, I try to live in the present. Appreciate the awesome things E can do right now that he couldn't do just a few weeks ago (walk over to me and give me a hug) and the things that he still does but won't do forever (snuggle with me when he is sleepy).

It mostly makes the strange combination of sad and impatient feelings go away, if I remember how awesome he is right now.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

ChloroformSeduction posted:

we didn't have a good time with Santa photos today:

That is the greatest Santa picture!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Tell me fellow goon parents if I should be concerned...

A few days before Christmas E popped a capillary in his right eye. He didn't hit his head or suffer any trauma and he wasn't making any of his grunting/poop noises. He was sitting on the floor playing and when I went to pick him up I noticed "holy crap, the white of your eye is bloody". Google tells me this is not uncommon so I didn't worry about it. It cleared up over the course of about a week.

Yesterday morning I come downstairs (Mr. Clarice was watching E) and go to pick up E and notice he has some red spots (broken capillaries) along his hairline and three under his eye on the right side of his head, I ask Mr. Clarice about this and he said, no E hasn't fallen or anything. They have already cleared up.

Both of these events in and of themselves are minor and don't worry me, but the fact that they happened in close temporal proximity and on the same side of his head do worry me. We have his one year appointment coming up on the 23rd, and I plan on asking the doctor about it, but part of me wonders if it is okay to wait that long.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

E is 14 months now and shows no interest in speaking. He only says one word ("hi") and doesn't even use baby-words for things. He will occasionally babble late at night before bed, but otherwise he is quiet most of the day (except for saying/grunting "Oooh-Oooh" when he wants something).

Everything I read/hear from the doctor about speech development and milestones say he is behind; but my husband and his two siblings were all late talkers (with no speech problems) and I have noticed that nearly all of the boys in our playgroup are in a similar situation (14-16 months and not talking).

I wasn't worried about it because E can definitely hear us fine (he follows directions well), he is picking up sign language pretty well (so he understands the concept of communication), and he was an early walker (and isn't the general idea that kids are either early walkers or early talkers?). I had assumed that doctors would ask about it all the time because they don't want to miss any possible marker of a kid "falling behind" but after a few months of inundation with "he doesn't speak yet?" from people, info on the web, and his 15 month check up coming up (I know the ped will focus it on since she wasn't happy with his only saying one word at a year) I am starting to worry a bit.

I shouldn't really worry for a few more months, right?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

rectal cushion posted:

You are correct, it's too early to worry. This sounds normal. Does he seem to understand words? Understanding is a much better measure than the words a child can say at that age. Also pointing, if he points/understands pointing that is a good sign.

He can understand us quite well. For example, we have to spell out the words for his favorite foods because otherwise he will freak out that we said "cheese" but didn't give him any. And he is good at following basic directions "bring X to me", "please close the door", etc.

Oh my god the pointing! We spend at least a full hour (spread out over the day of course) with him pointing to things while I give their name.

Slo-Tek I try to narrate the day as much as possible, but it is a good reminder. Thanks, I'll focus on that some more!

VorpalBunny and hookerbot -- speaking around 2 years seems to be really common with what I hear from parents, but doctors/the Internet all seem to say 15-16 months. I wonder what the disconnect is? For example, BabyCenter's toddler developmental milestones has this:  

BabyCenter posted:

Red flag: If your child isn't saying any words by the time she's 15 months old, bring it up with her doctor.
I mean, my kid is almost 15 months and he says only one word and not even very frequently, so it seems like he would get flagged even though from all the parents I have talked to this is totally normal.

Ariza I think you are right, and that doctors are just really really worried about not catching potential problems. But this is really frustrating because then they are quick to label kids that are just developing a little slower as having a delay; when really they are just on the far side of the bell curve. I mean, that is how averages work. Ugh.

Thanks all!

Crazy Old Clarice fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 19, 2013

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Ben Davis posted:

No harm done if he gets extra attention he doesn't need, you know?

In the abstract, I completely agree with you. However my city (like many) has very limited resources for their infant and child early intervention programs. They claim they will assess your child within 30 days of a diagnosis of speech delay, but they aren't actually able to due this because of high demand -- one of the moms in our playgroup waited three months to get her kid assessed. I don't want to be an addition drain on those services if my child isn't really in need of them. But this is veering into the political, so I'll stop there.

But I understand the urge to do as much as possible, and we will definitely do as much verbal enrichment at home as we can!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

FordCQC posted:

Is it generally ok to wash stuffed animals in a machine? We have a talking Elmo doll (voicebox removed though) that says "surface wash only" but Elmo's getting grimy even with regular wipedowns. Any reason I can't just run him th rough the washer/dryer?

I remember my mother occassionally having "bath day" for our favorite stuffed animals. I believe she washed and dried them on the delicate setting. I know she would place each one inside of a pillow case and knot up the open end, before putting them in the dryer -- I assume to diffuse some of the heat? They always seemed fine (but cleaner) when returned to us. It is what I plan on doing with E's stuffed animals.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

frenchnewwave posted:

Those of you with infants or who can remember the first year, do you buy into the Wonder Weeks thing? According to it, Vivian is in a WW stage that will last another 17 days. She has been clingy, fussy, and sleep is just a joke. Part of me thinks WW is just bullshit but the other part hopes that in 17 days she'll sleep through the night again.

I am a fan of WW -- our son tracked quite closely with the developmental timeframes they gave. And even if it is bullshit, it was very helpful for my sanity. In our household it went like this: on day three/four of baby clarice acting like a fussy jerk I would exclaim "I don't think I can do another day of this, we need to change X, Y, or Z thing about his sleep habits!". Then I would check WW and find that he was in the middle of a developmental leap. And it served as a reminder that he was just a baby, he wasn't actively trying to piss me off and be a jerk; he was dealing with crazy, weird, brand-new poo poo of his own and this was the only way he could deal with it. That helped me get through the crazy times and be a lot more sympathetic and patient him.

Good luck! This too shall pass.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Konomex posted:

Question: How long from standing on their own to walking was it for other peoples kids. Will she be walking when she gets back or is it likely I won't miss her first proper walk?

All kids are different so it is hard to predict, but our guy was pulling up on furniture at 8 months, standing independently at 9, started cruising at 10, and was walking unassisted at 11. But he has always been big on moving, this kid never sits still -- he prefers playing while standing so that he can move around the room with the toys.

How do you define "her first proper walk"? A few steps holding someone's hands? Cruising along furniture? Walking X distance unassisted? If they are only away for a few days, I doubt you will miss her walking. But be prepared for lots of bending over holding her hands in your near future!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Konomex posted:

Walking X distance unassisted. She does all the other stuff and she's a week shy of 9 months. She's been cruising along objects for a good 2 months now but she's gotten really good at it lately. Walking with someone holding her hands, even longer. Maybe 4 months. She's just been getting balance. Last 2 weeks she hasn't really been holding onto objects as much as before, just sort of placing her hand on them.

Well she does sound like she is on the accelerated track for walking, so it probably will be soon. But as soon as you think you have your kids figured out they do something completely different -- to let you know that you are not actually in charge of anything. So who knows? It could be quite some time still.

Best of luck!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

Any suggestions for tummy time for a baby who absolutely hates it? Rory is 3 months old and the only tummy time he gets is when either I or my husband has him on our bellies. I don't know how the gently caress I can get him up to 15 minutes a day because he acts like it's torture.

Many kids are like this, ours hated tummy time too. Spending some time lying on you or being worn by you/your husband will give Rory the time he needs to work on head control. Don't worry about trying to get your screaming kid to the 15 minute mark.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Melliemel posted:

My kid is jumping on the bed. And dancing in the bathtub. Which are obviously no-nos.

Kids..... , she gets this wicked gleam in her eye and she -knows- it's naughty. She'll even say, "no dancing in tub?" and I say, no, it's dangerous and makes me scared, and then she grins and does it. Same with the bed.

What do I do here?

Melliemel, I sadly have no advice for you -- I am in the same boat. Apparently when I say "no", E hears "it would make me very happy if you did that!". I am trying to get better at redirecting in the hopes that it helps, but it can sure get exhausting!

As a question of my own...
We are moving from a rowhouse with a washer and dryer to an apartment with a community washer/dryer. We are a cloth diapering family, but I feel weird (and logistically it would suck) to wash our kid's diapers in the community washers. So we are thinking of a diapering service. Given what the service provides I think their cost of $20/week is fair, but drat that is a lot of money over time.

I am considering changing to disposables, but the thought of them sitting in a landfill for eternity makes my super-liberal, tree-hugging heart weep.

Help me decide!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Does anyone have any tips on traveling with a 4-5 month old? My daughter's not due to be here until October, but my husband's grandma turns 90 in March and is having a big party in Florida, 16 hours away. My husband is a huge planner and wants to get all the details figured out now. :) We plan on traveling by car because it's cheaper. It'll probably be easier for us to figure out once she's here and we know her temperament. Do babies that old still sleep pretty well and for long periods of time?

Additionally, if you plan on breastfeeding, you are going to have to stop frequently, and it will add a lot of time onto your travel. We did a few 6 hour trips with E before he was 6 months old and with the three-ish stops to feed/change diapers it became an 8.5 hour drive.

I second flying.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Thinking more about traveling with little ones, Mr. Clarice and I highly recommend Amtrak (if available for your itinerary). It combines most of the benefits of car and airplane travel: larger seats than a plane, easy to get up and walk around, you don't need to stop for feedings/diaper changes. We take the train to my in-laws a few times a year, and have always had a great experience.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

At 20 months, E is showing some signs of being ready for toilet training. He sits on his potty when I am going, he asks for toilet paper to wipe himself when I do, and if he needs to pee while in the bath he requests a diaper.

Our problem is he doesn't want to actually go in his potty. When he requests a diaper during bathtime, I asked him to sit on the potty and he did. I explained that he is allowed to pee in the potty, but he wasn't having it. He was adamant that it had to be in a diaper. I assume this means he just isn't ready, but maybe other parents have suggestions on how I can convince him that the potty is an okay place to go?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Papercut posted:

Don't let them interact with your kids until they (your kids) have finished their vaccination schedule, which I think is sometime as a teenager. There's plenty of information here:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/default.htm

I mean seriously, it's like asking how to safely take your children to a leper colony. My family are pretty huge into garbage homeopathic stuff but they at least weren't crazy enough to be anti-vaxxers.

Ugh. I am mentally preparing myself to deal with this as well. My parents recently became anti-vaxxers, and still have three of my siblings living with them with incomplete vaccine histories. We had a scare this past summer where I thought one of my sisters gave our 1.5 year old pertussis.

Never again! Now I am getting ready to tell them they can't see baby #2 (expected in March) unless they have flu and pertussis vaccines. I anticipate a terrible outcome, but the health of my kids is way more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Ender.uNF posted:

How early is socialization a good idea?
Basically should I be trying to find some kind of dad/mom groups so he can see other kids? Is there anything like an SA parents group for different cities?

I don't know how necessary socialization is at that age, but it can't hurt and it would be a good way for you to get some interaction with other adults.

I would second the recommendation for library story time. If you are able to go a little early or stay a little late, you can usually chat with the parents waiting for it to start or letting their kids playing around after. Plus it is a good place to find a "new parent friend" that you can meet with outside of story time.

Two other things you might try are going to playgrounds/parks. Even with a kid under 1 you can find other parents with similar aged kids out playing. And finally many towns/cities have a listserv (frequently yahoo) for parents.

Good luck Ender!