Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
First mirconium poo, baby farted into it as it was coming out so it just expanded like a big black piece of chewing gum. I already had the nappy off to change an unrelated pee incident so I got to watch it real time. Looked like her butthole was opening up to a new dimension.

Like something out of Prometheus, same black goo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Silent Linguist posted:

I have a couple pics of my kid in the bathtub, and I turned off iCloud on my phone so Apple wouldn’t report me to the police for CP or something. Probably also being paranoid but yeah. I feel like every parent needs to keep a couple naked butt pics around to embarrass their kids with later on.

My baby has a crooked butt, the rear end crack starts off straight up but veers to the right like 45° after a certain point. The photo is coming out at her 18th/21st and she will never live it down.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I think from an editorial perspective numbers under 10(12?) in text are usually meant to be spelt out - "I just turned two!" as opposed to "I just turned 2!". But I don't know how kids books work.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Kids grow way too quick. We have a bunch of things that have never been worn.

My baby girl at 8 months is in 1s (12-18m) but grandma doesn't listen

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Brawnfire posted:

Welp, daughter cried herself to sleep because I only sang three songs and she wanted one more.

I wish my baby cried herself to sleep instead of just continually crying with increasing enthusiasm

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Someone recommended Trash Truck on Netflix and the blatent disregard for physics and euclidean space is blowing my mind. Sure, just invite a full scale rubbish truck into your house, I'm sure it will just fit through the front door.

It's very chilled out watching though

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

C-Euro posted:

Going back to car seat chat for a moment, what's the skinny on flying with seats larger than a bucket seat? We have a long plane ride planned for the end of the year, last time we flew with the little guy we still had his infant seat plugged into a stroller which made things more straightforward. Do convertible seats travel well enough?

We just flew without a seat and held baby (8 months on a ~4 hour flight). Luckily we didn't have anyone next to use so we could spread out a bit, but holding a baby on the flight isn't any worse than going through teething or a mild fever. Baby can sit fine on a regular seat as well, no need for a special carrier/booster. They'll have to belt onto your belt during take off/landing though.

We hired a baby seat in the hire car at the other end, I can't imagine the pain it would be to lug a whole booster seat through the airport.

We had a dummy and milk for takeoff and landing (jaw motions help pop the ears), and she didn't cry once on the way up or down.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Still only in act 1 of Baldur's gate 3 :negative:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Sweeper posted:

Does anyone have any experience with suppositories for getting medicine into a 1 year old who just hates the syringe? She screams and violently twists around when I get it to her mouth. I have to hold her mouth open and squeeze her cheeks to make sure she doesn’t just spit the medicine all out. Overall it sucks and breaks my heart

In regards to syringes, we have some success with paracetamol and ibuprofen if we take a sip first. If we both take a bit first, baby is more likely to have some, 0.1ml never hurt anyone. Or you could just pretend, but deep down they know.

Also giving baby the sticky remnants of an old syringe to play with (in between actual medication) got her sticking it in her mouth herself. It was much easier once we got over that hurdle, although some antibiotics liquid flavour is awful and we had a lot of that spat back up in protest.

I think the stickiness is the worst part, if you don't catch it it gets on their hands and neck and onesie, smells strong, and stays sticky for hours.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
loving croup. Went to the hospital at 1am with a toddler coughing their lungs up. Get there, all symptoms stop, wait an hour, doctor says nothing wrong. Go home and coughing slowly starts building again with increasing intensity.

"Cold air makes the symptoms go away (temporarily)" supposedly.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

cailleask posted:

Cold, humid air absolutely does make the symptoms stop - it’s a thing. They’ll slowly return if you go back to a warm dry place as you discovered. During croup season we bundle up real warm but then open a big window or just sit/sleep outside. You can do a steamy shower too but IMO it’s not as effective as cold air. I had a kid turning purple-lipped in the shower go back to almost normal within minutes when outside.

If they’re still bad today your pediatrician can probably provide a dose of steroid since the ER didn’t though.

Thanks, that's not a bad idea, it's summer here though so I guess we'll crank the airconditioning and humidifier a bit. Got in with a doctor yesterday and got some steroids, she's still raspy but sleeping better now.

These things always seems to happen at midnight or 2 in the morning, we decide it's time to go to emergency, and when we get there (after waiting an hour) she's perfectly fine when the doctor sees her. Better to be safe than sorry, but it sucks the next day.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Currently co-sleeping with our 16 month and her favourite position is sideways, which is enjoyable for no-one except her. Need to get her back in the crib but between teething and croup and life means she's always uncomfortable and cries a lot overnight.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Maybe put some cling wrap in the nappy? I'm sure that will capture the poop in liquid form and not make a horrible mess.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Ever since our little one figured out how to roll over in her sleep, she's been doing a worm to the top of the cot. At 11pm, 1am, 3am, there'd be a wooden "bonk" sound as her head hit the headboard, followed by crying and sitting up.

I would have thought there'd be some learning/survival process that would kick in, but 6 months later, Bonky is still at it. Putting a pillow at the end of the cot seems to have abated it somewhat, but it's not really advised by the guidelines. (neither are cot bumpers, so life has been tough).

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

kazz posted:

Newborn projectile pooped while dad was changing his already poopy diaper. Dad dodged it, and now it’s all over my rug instead.

I can't help but think of projectile pooping little nuggets, pop pop pop, all over the room. Then I remembered when ours did it and it was more like the exorcist, a stream of horror that sprayed to the very edge of the change table, and somehow I managed to jump back just far enough away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
There was a period for about 3 months where every time I rocked her to sleep, her arm would shoot upwards and aim directly for my mouth or nose. No amount of gentle persuasion would get her to stop, only firmly holding her arm away. And then she'd cry.

Had to make a lot of tough choices and had a lot of baby fingers up my nose for a while there.