Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Awwww, your kid likes snickerdoodles! We have our cats using 25 gallon rubbermaid tubs for cat boxes. We even have the lids on with a "cat sized" hole right in the middle. The cats jump down, use the box, jump back out. The baby can't reach far enough into the hole to get to the litter or the snacks buried inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I was a weird talking kid. My mom had to fight the school to put me in the school-sponsored speech classes in kindergarten. I speak very well now, it really helped a lot. I evidently had a lot of trouble with letter switches, like L's and W's and R's, and a few other things I'd have to ask my mom about. I still have what is technically a stutter, but it's a hold on the sound of a word (the "N" sound of "not" for example), not the classic stutter. It only happens when I am very tired, or around a friend who has the exact same thing only much worse.

Also RE kid's music, I was in the kitchen cooking and my 1 year old figured out how to turn on the music player on my phone. I caught her dancing to Slipknot and Static-X songs. We're screwed. :downs:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'd be iffy with a little one on a cruse not only because of the drill and getting lost, but also germs. There have been a few situations where whole boats of people have gotten noro virus or some other "Two Exit, No Waiting" disease. I got swine flu on our cruse to Mexico and back. Even if it's not something terrible, you have all the germs from these different areas where people have come from that the baby isn't used to. I'd wait till the kid was 5 or more for a cruse too, so they're a little sturdier for diseases and such.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
RE: Daddy bathroom questions.

My sister and I were raised solely by her father starting at age 7 for me and 5 for her. For a little while, he would walk us to the men's room and go in before us, explaining to anyone at the urinal that he was bringing his daughters in, hide yo junk. Then we would walk briskly to the handicapped stall, and he would usher us both in and close the stall behind us. He would wait outside the stall until we were done, and then we'd wash our hands and leave, eyes always on the ground directly ahead of us. He would even use this tactic at his work which had a men's bathroom ONLY, and you had to walk through the locker room to get there. He worked in a machine shop, so everyone would change/shower to keep cutting oil and metal particles out of their cars/homes. Because of all the naked men, he would have us hold our jackets over our faces on the way there.

No one ever said anything, he was a large biker guy so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. Once we were a bit older, he would send us into the ladie's room as a team, but he would be DIRECTLY outside the main door so he would see if we were leaving without him. He one time sent in a woman with kids to check on us, because we had been too long.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
That, honestly, might be a very big part of it. She knows drat well she can't quit work to watch your kid 24/7, but she just wants to be "offered first" so she knows you're thinking of her.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Neither of us have any real aesthetic, so I was hoping that someone could point us towards a link or two with creative examples about how to set up a room for our little rug rats? I've been trolling google image search for ideas, but I'm curious if there is anything more comprehensive out there. Thanks!

Basically, you probably want Pinterest. You can search for all sorts of different ideas, and collect several different ideas/photographs into 'idea boards'. This is super helpful for me if I like the CONCEPT of a design element or something, but not that particular execution of it because my husband will take it all at face value and then won't get it when I want something to be green and not pink, "but it's pink in the picture". So, you can look through millions of other people's ideas and gather up what you like and go from there.

(For the love of god, don't cook any of the recipes)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

tse1618 posted:

VW Beetle (what I drive)

Old Beetle or New Beetle? That's a pretty important distinction.

If you look carefully, you will notice that the baby bucket seat prevents the passenger seat from going to its proper place. I had to ride in the back with the baby. (The baby loved it because she could actually see out the window while rear-facing)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
There are a few of the baby food makers that are making puree mixes that include meat, so it's not just "ham and ham gravy" that smells like cat food. We've had the chicken and noodle soup puree and Em really likes that one, and also a chicken (or turkey) and apple one. They seem like the least gross meat baby foods you can find without making it yourself.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Ben Davis posted:

edit: Also the implying that parents who use formula are going to make their children into hypochondriacs wasn't going to win anyone over.

And that diets for ANY reason were neurotic and that women do them only to lose weight and make themselves into "mommy martyrs".

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Hobo Erotica posted:

Any good ideas for what to get my parter who spends all day with our 4 month old boy for her 39th birthday?

She's very hard to buy for. There's two massages a nice dinner already but I want an actual gift too..

Does she have a Kindle? Is there a better/newer one on the market? My dad got me a Kindle for my birthday and it was at the door when we got home from the hospital with my daughter. LIFESAVER. I have kids games on it for when I need 5 minutes to poop, I can watch cartoons or read in the middle of the night, I even have a sleep graphing app on it to keep track of her nighttime waking up. If she does have one maybe a nice cover for it, but that's all I've got right now.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

SmokeyXIII posted:

They're okay but hes so squashed against me.

Dude, do you carry your child at arm's length? Any carrier, properly adjusted, isn't going to 'squash' your child against you. It's going to hold your baby against you the same way that you should when you're holding him. Frame packs are meant for the type of outings you'd use a regular frame backpack/rucksack for (ALL DAY WALKING, or hiking) not for a trip to the grocery store.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Edit: Somehow a double post.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Emily scratched the poo poo out of her cousin's face the first time they got to hang out, she didn't do it to be 'violent' she did it because she has nails and hey, what's this do? Give them each a noisy toy and let them hang out and take pictures, if one starts to 4-wheel over the other one, pull him off.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Just point out that there's lead in everything and she'll come around. It's a bit dumb of your doctor to make a big deal of that tbh.

There is varying levels of mercury in different types of seafood, and several different health organizations recommend reduced or eliminated portions for pregnant/nursing mothers and small children because of the health risks. So maybe it's better that she doesn't "come around" and instead follows what the doctor told her.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

DoBoMi posted:

Getting raw ingredients is also very important, and most of the time even cheaper than processed food. I don't get it why many people here, who don't have much money, spend it on junk food etc.

Not only is time to actually prepare these raw ingredients a huge factor when both parents work (sometimes multiple jobs), but there is a strong lack of quality produce and healthy foods in poorer communities. So the raw ingredients are drat near impossible to get without making a trip outside of your community spending money you don't have on gas/transit along with the time you don't have as well.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
The recommendation right now is that any food other than breastmilk/formula before 12 months is just really for the baby's fun and to try it out. If the kid doesn't want to eat at 8 months old, don't force it, s/he'll get all the nutrients and calories needed from nursing/bottles.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I think it depends on your doctor; ours suggested the sooner the better for solid food (although not a physical requirement) as the latest research ours had seen is that later introduction of solids could be related to increased allergy prevalence.

I never said don't let them try anything, but not to worry if the kid isn't in to eating anything. It was recommended in the past to hold off until one year or later for potential allergens like eggs and peanuts, but current research says to go ahead and try them when you feel like it in kids that DO NOT have a family history of allergies.

Once again, to reiterate: Give your kid whatever you would like them to TRY, but do not worry if the child is not eating meals with you at 8 months old. They will get all the nutrition they need from formula or breastmilk.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

amethystbliss posted:

Crossposting from PI. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with a dog who is starting to show signs of aggression toward children? We have a small dog (15 pounds) who used to be great with kids, but since my brothers have come to live with us he's started pouncing on them without warning and occasionally nipping at the bottom of their trousers. It's totally unprompted and they aren't instigating or being rough with him.

We were out of town recently and left the dog with a professional dog sitter, and he did the same to her kids. He used to be very affectionate toward her daughters, and she said it was worrying behavior. He's never bitten anyone, but we've got our first baby on the way so are extra keen to stop this in its tracks.

Do you have a spare place in the home that the dog could have as his place only? Maybe an den/office where the kids don't really go and the door could be closed and a doggy door installed? He may just be getting all strung out on all this constant activity and need a place to go chill out. Even if the kids aren't being excited towards the dog, that is still a big change in his environment. Even a doggy door into a closet in one of the bedrooms and toss a battery powered night light in there.

Also, MAKE SURE the kids know when the dog is starting to show signs of stress. Really look it up online and educate yourself and the kids so that it's not without warning. Dogs show signs that they're getting tired of what's going on long before they bite or nip. You may need to supervise interaction between the kids and the dog for a while and remove the dog OR the kids when he's starting to show signs of stress. "Ok, leave Skippy alone because he's getting cranky".

It really seems to me (based on my own experiences with a small heel nippy dog) is the dog is tired of all the noise and running about and trying to get the kids to chill out. Our roommate's dog (before he moved out) would do the same if you shuffled your feet, wore pants with legs that were too wide, or ran around and made too much nose. She would nip at our other roommate's kids until they walked quietly through the part of the room she was in.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

tse1618 posted:

I covered the windows in bubble wrap and I can't see out very well but he can still tell there's a cat out there. We tried covering the windows with blankets in the past but he just tore at them until they came down. I can't do anything very permanent or use nails because I'm renting. If there are other things I could try I'd appreciate the suggestions.

You can get really dark or mirrored window film from the car parts store, or there is "stained glass" style films that are sold at big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes. Both apply with static or soapy water and can be peeled/gently scraped off when you move.

But, I agree that you should probably look for a rescue or someone else that can take your cat. You can't risk that level of injury to your family any longer.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

So maybe I should put together a stack of, I dunno, 3 month or 6 month clothes as my shower gift?

That's fine, but don't go over 6 months. We had people get us 18, 24months and 2T stuff as shower gifts. So, not only did we need to find a place to stash this stuff where we wouldn't have to dig past it each time we got her clothes out, but we needed a place where we would remember that we had this crap because these are the same people who would complain if she didn't eventually wear that stuff. It was pretty annoying, and I still occasionally find stuff that I put away for when it would fit, and now she's outgrown it.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I know most of the merry-go-rounds started disappearing after Jackass showed them starting one like those old gyroscope tops with a string by tying a long rope to the back of a truck. The guy inside was carefully positioned to not fly out and just got criminally dizzy, but shortly afterwards some dumbasses spun one at their local playground at a million RPM's with the back tire of a moped and someone flew out and died. The only ones I can find now have practically no free spin so that once you let go of pushing them, they stop. Trying to spin a child on them is like raising the anchor on an old ship.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's the shrink wrap that makes the magic for him.

PAAS (the people who make the one million different types of dye kits all over the place each Easter) had a kit a while back that had little shrink wrap sleeves that you could put on the egg and plunk into hot water for like a second. I don't even know if they make them anymore, but checking out the clearance aisle wouldn't be a bad idea.

Aha! Look for PAAS Egg Arounds. They may be in the traditional box kit, or in little hangy sleeve pack things.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

Our toddlers have essentially grown up together, and I don't want to cut them out of each others' lives, but I don't know how much more of this kind of behavior I can take. I've cut our playdates down to once a week, so we'll see how that goes. Our kids are 3 - if I ended up severing almost all contact with this family, would that be a bad thing? Or should I suck it up for the sake of our kids?

If this is someone you don't want to be friends with anymore, your kid will probably not remember that they used to be buddies with his kid. I don't remember much until I was past 4 1/2 years old or so, and like others have said, if you don't want this dude around you/your kid, you don't have to be friends for the sake of your child. Find a library group to go to for a while so your child still gets some socialization.

EDIT: On the other hand: Is it possible that you may want to suck it up a little, for the sake of your kid? I know this guy is irresponsible and snotty, but the fact that he annoys you could be making every little thing he does annoy you even more. If you SEE him texting while driving, by all means bring it up, but I don't usually talk with people about what they were doing when they sent my texts, you know? Or if you do need to bring something up with him (such as things that directly affect your child/your family), just do it with him and his wife, not anyone else around.

I know it's super annoying when someone is doing something that EVERYONE knows is wrong, but bringing it up when he gets defensive about it will only cause an argument, and you get to decide if you would rather break it off with this guy or just not bring up certain issues.

EXAMPLE: My sister is friends with a husband and wife. The husband (Tom) is a moron, and my husband is a mechanic. Tom was talking about how his car needed tires, so he was going to buy some from the junkyard. My husband mentioned that he could at least get retreads for the same price, and he was really just wasting money and risking his family with this plan. Tom ignored him and went on how his internet buddies who "know about cars" told him this was a good idea. For a while afterwards, we would ask him about his car and how it was doing, only to be more irritated at the amount of poo poo that was going bad, because he kept replacing them with junkyard parts. We eventually had to stop asking him about it, because he would ignore any good advice with crap from his moron friends, and then complain loudly the next time when these idiot plans didn't work. (we don't talk with this guy anymore, unless he is at a function that we were invited to)

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 29, 2014

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
There's the very real possibility that if he's only there for a little bit before work (or not, doesn't really matter here), this is the only time he gets to "parent" his own child? I know the first few months, I did EVERYTHING because I had been around/cared for new babies and my husband hadn't, so he did everything wrong and had no idea why. So any chance he got to take care of her where I wasn't harping on him, he forged ahead and did it. He learned and she is perfectly fine, even though he'd jiggle her so vigorously that you could hear the air bubbles in her stomach because it made her smile. (and then puke)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
There's also the Kindle Fire. The 1st gen is still available new from Amazon and is only $80 right now (I think). You can get super cases for it, and they're not as big as an Ipad, about half the size, but still MUCH larger than a phone screen. A majority of the IOS games are also available for it, through Amazon. My dad got one for me for my birthday, and I love it for reading at night while nursing and watching TV shows at night while nursing, but now that my kid is older, it does get a lot of use by her to play games.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

Couldn't you get a caesarian? Not that that doesn't take a toll as well, but you won't be loving up your pelvis or hips.

I'm currently pregnant with my second and my hips/pelvis are already hosed up just from the pregnancy. Not all the "returning to normal" is from the birth, a good deal of it is from the effects of the pregnancy too.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

FordCQC posted:

Does anyone have tips for keeping a 3 year old in their big kid bed/room once they're awake for the day but it's super early?

We recently transitioned our daughter into a regular bed and she sleeps in it great, but she's woken up at 5:45 AM for the past 3-4 days and it's seriously messing us up not getting that last hour of sleep we were used to previously. I don't mind if she's awake as long as she isn't banging on our door to wake us (and the baby) up. What's worked for you?

They make very simple 'kid' alarm clocks that have a big moon and a big sun. You sould set it for 7am or whenever and teach her to stay in her room until the 'sun' comes up? My kid can open the fridge but not reach anything, so having her get her own breakfast would include her opening the fridge for milk but just leaving it if she couldn't get anything, so quiet time is our plan. Right now she comes in and goes back to sleep.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Right around 2 years old we took Emily's crib mattress out of the crib and put it on the floor for her to 'get used' to sleeping in a bed. She would plow off of the stupid thing each night. A huge sale went on and we got her a twin mattress and box spring, and put just the mattress on the floor for her. The 3 inch difference in 'height' off the floor was enough to keep her from rolling out. We went a few months and moved the box spring in and she never even moves towards the side of the bed now. If she rolls, she rolls towards the wall, or if she gets sideways, her feet hang off, not her head.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

We seem to be stuck in the Great Wail of 2014, where my just turned one year old starts screaming pitifully the minute things don't go her way. (If I'm around. If I'm not, then she's the worlds happiest toddler, according to reports and what I can hear when I'm in another room. I take it as a compliment, since apparently all the wailing and flopping about means that she feels secure and loved with me, yay :v:)

She can say a few words, hello, hi, good bye, mama, dada, baaaa for sheep and "want that!!", and she babbles non stop, and to me it seems that most of her frustration (expressed in waaaaailing) stems from the fact that she wants something, and I'm a complete idiot who can't understand her when she's telling me repeatedly, clearly and loudly. Please tell me that my theory is true, and that once she figures out more language she'll stop with the howling and gnashing of teeth (well, temporarily, until she finds something new to be upset about), because this is getting old pretty quickly.

This is EXACTLY how thing were with our daughter until she started figuring out more words. She was a bit behind with talking and then all of a sudden figured out a ton of words at once. So she used to give you her sippy cup and whine while you played 20 questions and she got pissed, now she hands you her cup and says "milk, peese" Or "juice" or "straw" or "sink?" or "milk all done" and the whining and tantrums are now just for normal poo poo, like not peeling her banana to the precise length she wants.

So yes, it will get better.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Axiem posted:

On another topic, are there any good recommendations on how to stay sane during the holidays when there's family everywhere and the kids are going crazy because of it?

Stand firm on schedules. If naptime is at 2, you are either in a quiet place where naps will happen, or at home. Don't let anyone try and pull the "oh, we're only out here this one time" thing. They can wait so you/kids don't have a meltdown. We also currently have a bag of duplo blocks, books, and a toy stroller in the trunk of our car for our 3 year old to play with at Grandpa's house because his toys suck and he gets grumpy if she starts jumping into his swanky 70's step-down den.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

For content:
kids' birthday party stories!

We're very low-key here, my sister is the Pinterest-Party-Person. We do snacks and cake and got a bouncy house for my daughter's 3rd. Everything went wonderfully until the guy showed up to take the bouncy house away again. I don't think she's forgiven us yet.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

Also, over in Curious George The Man in the Yellow Hay owns a penthouse apartment in New York City AND a house in the country? Where's he getting all this money? And why is Mr. Pasghetti an acceptable character in the twenty first century?

My husband and I have a theory that The Man is some rich guy's fuckup youngest son who never amounted to anything, so he was given an apartment and a house and an allowance and a monkey to keep him occupied and out of the family business. That's why he never actually DOES anything, but still seems to be allowed to do everything.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

iwik posted:

Luckily, the only cupboard in our house he has any sort of inclination to open is the one in the laundry that has the washing powder - he likes to put it in the washing machine. It is normally locked but sometimes we do forget to click the plastic across the front or manages to open it himself. We have a front loader and every so often we'll go to put on a load of washing to find there is a few items of clothing in the machine and the drawer already has the powder in it thanks to his 'helping'.

I'd do what you could to move the soap out of his reach. Children have gotten seriously ill from ingesting laundry soap (at least one child has been killed because of it), and just because he hasn't done it yet doesn't mean he won't taste it or end up with some of it on his hands when he goes to eat something else.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
There are some toothbrushes that play a song through the bristles while brushing, and you can only really hear it while one is brushing with the brush. I've seen them at target and the grocery store? But you can pick through a few different popular songs. That might be enough to help out.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

BonoMan posted:

9 months old and her first real fever (103) :(... Breaks your heart!

If the Tylenol isn't enough to manage the fever, you can double up and also give ibuprofen so that the dose times overlap. (example, 4 hour Tylenol doses given at 12, 4, 8... and 8 hour ibuprofen given at 2 and 10 - read your medication's dosing times) This was the only way I could keep my daughter's temperature from skyrocketing when she got that thing that's going around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Oodles posted:

9 months old and still wakes 2 maybe 3 times a night.

I don't think you know how good you have it... My 11 month old woke up every 45 minutes last night. I'd murder to be woken up only 3 times at this point.