Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I saw there was talking about SIDS on the last page and it's something that's been worrying me too. We got twin boys (identical) and they both have gas and stomach issues, probably a combo of factors such as:

-Mainly formula fed because my GF just doesn't have near enough for both of them, they eat breast milk every day though.

-Born 10 weeks early, both are on iron supplements (niferex) which can upset the stomach, doctor says they need it because they have to grow so much compared to a normal babys first year.

-Heart conditions. VSD & ASD, one twin has had open heart surgery but the other ones condition was much less serious and it looks like it'll heal on its own, at any rate they're both on furesis which is a diuretic.

Anyway a lot of the time the only way they will sleep is on their stomachs, they can be crying and crying until you turn them around. So we sometimes let them fall asleep on their stomachs, I sometimes go and put them on their sides after a while though. I dunno how much one really should worry about this but it's hard not to, especially after all they've been through and still will (hand surgery coming up).

We've had success by giving them dimethicone drops, and now we've also started on Rela D3 drops, both have had a positive effect. The older twin was practically colicky before, having screaming fits betwen 12-03AM every night. Dimethicone drops stopped that flat, but he still only pooped like once or twice a week. The Rela drops have helped him poop once a day at least.

Anyhoo, babies (Daniel & David are their names):

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

VorpalBunny posted:

We waited with both kids until they were a bit older, like 8-months, to start solids. By then they had dexterity to feed themselves, strength to sit up on their own in high chairs, and a bit more communication to let us know what was working. We started with super soft stuff like cottage cheese, smushed fruits, rice, etc. I actually haven't really done purees with my youngest, she just eats the softest stuff everyone else eats supplemented with stuff like banana and eggs.

And every kid gags, it's how they learn to do stuff like chew and swallow. If you are really freaked out about it, take a child CPR class. It will give you peace of mind beyond the dining table.

Our twins at pretty much exactly 5 months now, are already eating solids, if by solids we mean purees? Or are we talking whole bits?

We've been feeding them baby food (homemade) for 3-4 weeks now, started with potatoes, then carrots, then chicken, tried plums most recently. They both seem to like to eat "real food".

The doctors recommended we start early, especially with the meat so they can get extra protein because they are prematures and have so much growing todo. They also like to suck on these non salted puffed corn thingies.

And I'll loving explode if I can't post some baby pictures:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

So many doctors appointments, fortunately they all scheduled them to the 25th, we'll also get a take home EKG machine then which has to be hooked up to David for 24 hours, they'll use the results to see if he needs to continue on his heart medication (Syprol, helps against arrythmia, which he got after his heart surgery, which is a normal side effect for a few months the doctor said).

And on the 5th this month we drove down to Tampere and visited a hand surgeon, looks like Davids right thumb is developed enough that it's useful and can be made more so with some surgery, but both the boys left hands will need pollizication procedures (turns index finger into thumb), the way it looks now Daniel might need it for both his hands as his right thumb was not as well developed. We'll see again in november but I do hope they can give them one hand each with five fingers.

At least they'll have thumbs one way or another, easier to live with one finger less than without a thumb, and being twins sorta makes it easier I imagine, as they're not alone in this and will always have each other (and to be honest before davids surgery I wasnt even sure of that).

I keep telling myself that medical technology is making breakthroughs in prosthetics and stem cell/scaffolding research is looking real promising so I keep telling myself that by the time they're teenagers/adults they can hopefully have other options (extra prosthetic finger perhaps, or maybe it'll be possible to grow new hands or fingers).

Speaking of languages, IIRC kids who learn multiple languages take longer to begin talking? Our kids are hearing mainly swedish at home, then vietnamese a close second, I also speak english to them a lot, and a bit of finnish when I can. We want them to learn these four languages well so I'm trying to start them early.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sockmuppet posted:

Fish is so healthy and full of important nutrients that yeah, don't avoid all fish just because some fish have higher levels of bad stuff.

Feeding our kid meat for the first time was pretty hilarious. Her eyes widened in amazement and she was all "ALL OF IT! IN MY MOUTH! NOW!"

But yeah, I get the weirdness. Liver pate is one thing, but feeding my baby a baby from another species is going to be a bit of a hurdle.
On the flip side, it's going to be a while before I can eat suckling pig again - it smells like delicious milkscented baby-head :gonk:

I would like to say the same holds true for red meat as well. I think its best to say, babies shouldn't be on diets, unless they got medical reasons for it.

What one should do is avoid food that's been processed(frozen pizzas, ready made meat balls, ugh, that kinda stuff), buy your food as raw ingredients as much you can and make the food yourself.

And soda of course, worst thing ever, liquid candy in a bottle, that's gonna be something my kids can count on their hands how many times they have it per year. I'd rather give them a candy bar so they get something you can actually chew & eat, as its much easier to pack down the calories in liquid form.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

From what I've researched and found out I'm not going to be that strict in keeping my meat intake down as long as I buy the raw meat itself. I do have vegetarian days however, though not often as my SO's relatives are a lot of buddhist vegetarians and vegans and eating that kinda food as often as I do (they live close, we often get invited to eat here or get food from them) makes me feel I have had it up to here with vegetarian cooking most of the time, so I don't tend to make it often myself.

What I am going to stop buying meat from the markets and instead along with a few other people start buying entire animals a few times a year from a local farmer and freeze the cuts. Another way to save money.. Once our house is finished and we got a big freezer to keep stuff in.

Sugar OTOH has been strictly filtered away, IMO it's by far the single worst ingredient and it's super hard to get away from if you buy any kind of food from someone else or any establishment. Like to drink those fancy mocca whatevers from places like starbucks, probably sugar bombs. That sandwich you bought from subway or some other deli, probably filled with sugar. I almost always avoid buying ready food or drink, I make my own coffee, cream, no sugar. I make my own sandwiches, I always make my own lunches for work at home and so forth.

I guess it would kinda suck for the service driven economy we've set up for ourselves if more people did like I do.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well the holter-EKG is done, wasn't that difficult, David didn't really mind the probes. Got a diary to write down all the times we handled him or he was crying and such. Using that and 24 hours of logging they can tell how he's recovered from the surgery with regards to the arrythmia he got afterwards. Hopefully we can stop with the propranolol medication.

And man having twins, I can't remember the last time we all went shopping and complete strangers didn't come up to us to check them out and ask about them, also all the head turnings.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well the boys went to the hospital last night for a pretty thorough developmental checkout, both had blood drawn from their fingers and my god did they ever scream and cry. Long and short of the developmental tests (fysioterapist played with the boys and tested their reactions, reflexes, motor skills, etc) and all in all they are quite normal, not where a 6 month old baby would be, but take off the two months they where born early and they're right on track.

We took them to visit the nurses in the neonatal intensive care where they spent their first months of their lives and everyone was real happy to see them again and how they'd grown, also gave them a big thank you card with photos of the boys that they could put up in the break room :)

Also found out that the genetic tests where, strangely, negative on Holt-Oram syndrome, and every other syndrome too they have tested for all came back negative, can't find any genetic abnormalities. It's supposed to be a mutation of a single gene. So yay they're both perfectly normal genetically from what the tests can find out, though they are still gonna continue testing in other labs in europe now. Their cause for their hypoplastic thumbs & VSDs is back to being a mystery though again.

From a local "baby gathering" for moms, serious boy overload there, 8 boys and 2 girls:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We're feeding the kids solid food with meat twice a day now, and a third time with fruits or oat meal or whatever, first time in forever that they didn't wake us up at 2 or 3 AM, I finally got to sleep to 5AM, how awesome!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh yeah, noticed a tiny white nub at the bottom of Daniels mouth this morning, think his teeth are coming in. They have no problems eating meat, you just use a blender to puree it.

We're also feeding them this much meat and other stuff because they are prematures and it's on doctors orders to get as much nutrition, esp. protein and stuff, so while they are 6 months calendar age, they're around 3.5 months developmentally, which is on schedule.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 10, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's too bad we can't all child safe cats :(

She likes to head butt them if you put them close.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We haven't hardly had to buy any clothes, we keep getting so much 2nd hand from my older sister (she's had 3 children, all boys, youngest is 8) and in gifts from other people.

A lot of baby clothes and stuff is seriously inflated when we look in stores though, baby sitter was 170 euros, jeesus. Got two baby sitters last night from my sister for free, one of them both she and I used as kids. Which I think is cool :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tigntink posted:

You're in Finland right? Didn't you get a baby box of clothes?

There's that too, but most of those clothes are sized so big we haven't started using most of them, which makes sense because when people get children they tend to be overwhelmed with tiny clothes as gifts. Those small sizes are also the ones you find for sale on websites and 2nd hand stores the most. So you get more utility from providing parents with a larger sized set of clothes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

hah, first proper "ha ha ha" laugh for David last night, and in it came in his sleep :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ben Davis posted:

My nephews are twins, but they just do one big party. There's so much overlap in friends and family that it would take a lot of effort and time to do it twice.

Yeah we definitely won't be having two parties in the future, we're probably gonna have to have a kids party and adult party anyway so it'd be three parties total then.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah gently caress off, dads :mad:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Urghrghrlgrgh, forgot to buy more dimethicone and David's screamed and cried like craaaazy before finally sleeping, then the same between 1:30-3:00am :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We had our first mothers day last weekend as well, and her 30th birthday as well. Decided to celebrate by fobbing the twins off on her mom and stepdaughter so we could go out (went swimming) and have dinner etc.

And the twins turned 8 months yesterday, developmentally they should be about 6 months. David decided to celebrate by learning to say "bah bah bah bah" over and over again all day until the fiance went and got my earpros.

Both boys are also turning over now, they've been going from back to stomach a while but now they can both ways, almost crawling too :)

Daniel:

David:

This weekend we're having an ultrasound checkup of both boys, hoping they can stop their medications (Daniel is on a diuretic and David a beta blocker to help regulate his rythm after his heart surgery).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have 18 month old twins and both would rather die than spend a minute suffering under a blanket. My wife and I like to cuddle with our kids before putting them to bed and if a blanket so much as grazes their little feet it is nothing but furious kicking until they're out from under it. It is amazing.

Our twins do the same if you put them to bed with clothing that leaves their legs bare. Pajamas with built in socks (or actual socks) or pants for that matter helps here. If their feet are bare you'll wake up and find them without covers. The younger one has even started kicking off his pajama pants, and then the covers go.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Our babies sleep in our bed now and then, always have, but they sleep just fine in their own beds. Mostly we let them nap during day time in our bed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My fiance couldn't wait to stop the breastfeeding and did so at 6 months, had problems with the supply and it was never enough for both boys so they've always had to be supplemented by formula. I thought she should have stuck it out longer for the boys sake but I guess it's not my judgement to make.

Now they're eating primarily homemade baby food and forumla to go with at 8.5 months, but they've always been on an advanced feeding schedule on doctors orders.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cool, scored another stroller in the 2nd hand store, this time for 4.50€, so now we got two of these compact little things, they both fit in our Yaris! And we spent a total of 9.50€ for both :woop:

I had to replace the castor wheel axle on one of them with a bolt but I had all the stuff from before so it was still money well spent.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sigh I hope this wont become a habit, Daniel woke up at 2AM crying until 3AM, we couldn't get him back to sleep until we tried giving him the bottle and he drank the whole thing and promptly fell asleep. They have both stopped the whole night time feeding over a month ago so I don't want a relapse, it's so nice when they sleep the whole night.

And as if that wasn't enough he'd already woken his twin brother (David) who refused to sleep in his own bed after that (they got their own beds) and spent the night kicking me in the back in his sleep and rotating around like the dial on a clock.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Fathers day here is in November. I'm just painting the house, and painting, and painting and painting, oh the paint is gone, need to go buy another 10 liter can...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Our boys are almost sitting up on their own now, I was pretty impressed, David's making more and more sensible noises too, speaking very soon we think, developmentally they should be at 7 months though chronologically they're 9 months.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's great to have two children, it's all done with after it's done once for us :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If I lived in a city I wouldn't feel secure leaving my kids in the stroller outside if I went to a coffee shop or something like that. Leaving kids to sleep in their strollers in winter is a done thing though (in Finland). We've actually never done it to our twins (really they sleep in their beds just fine though they hate covers, and we don't have one of those walkie talkie things so we can hear when they wake) but I slept outside in winter as an infant myself.

Another edit-addon: my mom mentioned this btw recently and said that while we let kids sleep outside, we bundle them up quite well, even when we're not prepping them to sleep out, when she was in england she got the impression that people hardly clothed their kids, and she thought most of them looked like they where cold. Needed some layering she said.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 13, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sockmuppet posted:

^^^ I live in Oslo (yes, yes, it's a tiny city by international standards), and when the weather is bad there are sleeping babies parked all along the windows of cafés.

Oslo by my standards is huge though. My idea of the big city is Vaasa which has 60k pop and I wouldn't feel safe leaving them unsupervised just like that there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

me your dad posted:

Just found out we're having twins (in addition to a 2.5 year old at home)

First thought: :suicide:

First action: :guinness:

Congrats, twins are a special kind of awesome.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah the bigger of our twins is doing the same thing, fussy and can sometimes devolve into some really intense screaming, usually when its bedtime. First tooth came in last week. Waiting for the other twin to start doing the same.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Axiem posted:

Welp, our two-year-old discovered today that when we say the stove is hot, we mean it.

Anyone have good advice with dealing with a toddler's burned finger? Is teething gel safe to use as an anesthetic?

I did that as a kid, whole flat of my hand on a stove plate. I thought it wasn't hot or even had bee turned on, I was trying to joke by slamming my hand down on a cold plate and pretending I got burned. Talk about irony. My parents used a salve called Bepanthen that the doctor recommended, still use it today, it's pretty good for burns.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

raaaan posted:

Wow, really? When does kindergarten usually start for everyone else? Here it can optionally start at 4, but 5 is standard. Most people send their kids at 4, though.

6 in Finland, 1st grade at 7. Before that there is ordinary day care so parents can work though.

Also for identical twins the boys sure are different, when Daniels first tooth came in he cried and screamed like he was gonna die and wouldn't sleep during the nights. David had been a bit fussy during the days lately so we figured that his teeth might soon be coming too and we where preparing for the worst. Last night we found out he has a tooth already, an upper tooth, Daniel got a lower tooth.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 15, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

poo poo my kids started solids at 5 months.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yay David crawls! About time.

Took him a month longer than his brother to get going, but he seems to be more accomplished from the start, Daniel started earlier as he has always done, but he started clumsily and got better as he kept doing it, David seems to have taken longer to actually start but when he actually started it was like he started at a higher skill level.

Now sleep.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Our cat is no longer kid safe :(

Guess it was bound to happen as the kids grow up and become more boisterous and try to play with her, but drat that was really close to Daniel's eye. Didn't even see it, just one minute he was near her (nothing special so far, she just walks away normally if they get too rough), but then he started crying and we saw this:

We're not killing or rehousing the cat or anything like that, we're just gonna keep them separated and under better watch.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Does anyone elses kids like to rock their chairs? Our kids do it like all the time and they can keep it up a good while, they're so forceful they're moving the chairs (fortunately we have them well padded), scooting across the house, they seem to find this very funny. David can do this in his chair until he falls asleep, apparently exhausted himself. I read something about kids doing it pre-crawling but these guys are crawling and look to be getting up soon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Woot, 1st birthday party:

(My mom knitted the cap)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

jackpot posted:

Ugh, I figured. This ought to be fun: there's a difference between child-proofing a room, and child-proofing a room in order to leave him alone in it for 12 hours at a time. Plus, he already spends an hour every night singing and lecturing to his stuffed animals - this isn't gonna help things. :)

If anyone runs into this situation, this is what we went with:

KidCo Gate
KidCo Extension
KidCo Y-spindles

The gate is at the bottommost white bannisters, so on the first step. The extensions are needed to span the whole width, and the y-spindles let me connect to the bannister. The only potential problem is that in order for the gate to fit tight enough, I have a lot of tension on those y spindles. Like, railings-are-bowing-slightly-outward kind of tension. It's a lot, but it'll hold.

I just built a house without stairs, no need to make it complicated I figured.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Toot toot all aboard the baby train:

In other news Daniel is standing up on his own using support, pretty much on schedule given his real age is supposed to be 10 months now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Man last night Daniel was screaming and crying so hard during feeding that he started vomiting. Probably his teeth again, might be molars coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah we have skorpor of all kinds and sizes. They quite like crisp bread like polarknäcke (also one of my favorites):