Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I saw that glowy musical seahorse that everybody seems to adore the other day after not seeing them anywhere before. I was looking at the box and it didn't seem to have an age range (ie 3 months +) so at what age did/would you use it with your babies? Or other similar things like that frog or the sleep sheep?

Would you use it as a training tool like Lyz says, putting it on when you put them down as newborns? Or are they better being used later on, from a couple of months?

Does it help them to sleep in a strange environment? Like say, when the grandparents are babysitting or you're away somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Thanks for that. Little dude is 5 weeks old now and I will be going back to work soon for a couple of days a week, with my parents (who are only a stone's throw from work) looking after him while I'm there. I was wondering about getting the seahorse or equivalent to at night time/home days here and then taking it over with us to have a familiar something to help him get to sleep through the day or simply settle him down a bit.

Would that work at all? Or are they not that effective as a soothing tool?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Magical Musical Seahorses appear to work on more than just babies.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
My little dude has been a drool monster for a couple of weeks, and for the last week or so started to get a bit fussy and try to shove his whole fist in his mouth and chew on it, so we're assuming teething is starting.

He's not 3 months yet though, so he lacks the dexterity to be able to hold and chew a thing himself, so what can we do? Just hold it so he can gum it up?

Also he has white areas on his gums in all 4 spots where his canines would eventually be. They're not raised lumps or small dots, they are about the diameter of a pea I suppose.. the gum is pink around them then a real pale cream/white colour. That wouldn't be those teeth starting to rear their heads would it?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
So, is what they said on KellyMom there essentially that formula/bottle feed babies aren't quite so bad at waking up because they are used to distractions and therefore eat properly during the day?

So stupid question: Does that sleep regression phase include waking up because their little minds are going a mile a minute mulling over new things, or because they don't eat as well due to distractions so are hungry? Or both?

Does it normally go back to awful newborn-esque sleep patterns or do some kids just have a hard time going to bed but sleep through fine? Have people's experiences of this 4-6 month development phase varied?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Acrolos posted:

Ok guys, my wife and I are having a baby girl in a few weeks, and I feel prepared for the most part (I know there will be a ton of challenges and surprises, but for the most part, I think I"m as prepared as I can be). There is one thing that I am completely confused about, and have been looking for information.

When my girl is very young, I know that I can simply take her into public restrooms with me to change her, etc. What happens when she gets older and needs to go to the potty?

Let's say for instance that she is 3 years old and I take her a baseball game. Do I just bring her into a large public restroom with me? Do I find a nice lady to take her into the ladies restroom? What do I do!?!

Do you guys have the parent rooms over there? Here almost every shopping centre and most big venues have at least one which has a sofa/couple of comfy chairs for breastfeeding, microwave & sink for food/formula heating, change stations (with sink), nappy disposal bins etc. They also tend to have a toilet with either a place to put the baby (a fold down highchair type contraption) or a large enough space for you and the kid and the pram - these ones tend to have 2 toilets in them, regular size and those teensy little ones.

Otherwise, if there isn't a parent room, the disabled toilets tend to have the change tables in them so I suppose you could always use those if they have the same system. The sign on the door has both the disabled and baby logo.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

FishBulb posted:

No it's not the same at all for little girls. The quandary of what I should do with my 4 year old daughter is mindboggling. It's going to be worse now that I have 2 of them to take care of. What happens when my little one is 2 and still needs help but my other one is 6? 6 seems too old for me to drag into a men's room but I'm not going to just leave her in a hallway.

Yeah this is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night.

I was going into a public bathroom once, and a fellow was standing outside the ladies with his 5-6 year old girl who was needing to go. He had a younger child with him too, and seeing as they were in front of me in the line I asked if he wanted me to watch out for her while she was in there and he was quite happy about that, I think she was a bit nervous about going in alone. I held her stall door closed from the outside (so she couldn't lock herself in) and helped her wash her hands before delivering her back to her dad. Easily sorted. Then it was my turn to use the facilities.

Also, seahorse is super fantastic. The little dude has started going to a daycare run by a friend of mine in her house 1 day a week while I'm working. Magic Seahorse goes along too to help him sleep if needs be.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
How young is too young for 'independent play'?

We picked up a nice big playpen in a sale recently and have it set up with a nice soft duvet floor and a stack of baby toys in there. He's 24 weeks now and is shuffling along the floor so he can get around fine to the toys he wants.

Is it terrible for me to pop him in there while I go off to do stuff (clean/shower/whatever) for up to 15 minutes at a time when he can amuse himself? All the toys are super safe with no bits that can fall off or anything.

I normally pop him in his cot and/or do it while he's sleeping at the moment.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Yay, I felt kind of well, neglectful, because I was leaving him in there and walking away. But he has fun playing with his various little bits and pieces.

My sister got him one of those activity tables (with the lights and sounds and buttons) which can be used either with or without legs, so we only have 2 on it so it's sitting at an angle to make it easier for him to play with.

I dropped him in there today and he started playing with it, had a shower and came out to find him still playing. He was quite happy tootling around in there. I don't think he even noticed I was gone.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Those tights are pretty neat. I saw the size is 0-12 months, are they super stretchy?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendations for interactive baby/kids ebooks or game apps? The little dude as decided he love loves my phone and laptop (I think I have deleted and retyped at lease half this post because he is beside me 'helping') so I was thinking of buying a tablet to play games or read interactive ebooks with him.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Little dude just had his 6 month immunisations and checkup - he's trucking along nicely at just over 17 pounds and 26 inches.

I've counted myself pretty lucky so far, he's been a pretty easy going baby and I've been spoilt. There was no sign of any sort of sleep regression when he hit that 4 month mark - instead he has been sleeping 8-10 hours a night straight through since he was 3 months, lulling me into a false sense of security.

Now, though, jeeeeeeez.
In the last couple of days we've hit a wonderful combination of being able to sit by himself, trying to crawl (he's up on all 4's and rocking, then does a little bunny hop flop before getting up again - rinse and repeat across the floor), the wonder week 26 and I think either separation anxiety or just that whole learning that he and I are two different people and that can be apart/distanced. Or both. Who knows.

He is demanding lots of cuddles and when I hand him off to someone else he watches/tracks my movements. If I go out of sight he cries. If I move too far away he cries or fusses. Bedtime used to just be a nappy change, pj's on, a bottle in my lap with a cuddle until he's floppy then I used to just plop him into his cot and bam - out.

Now though, we follow the same routine and he either won't take the bottle before bed or he will have just a little bit of it and then cries, so you have to calm him down for ages. Then when he's cuddled and floppy you go to put him in his cot and he screams bloody murder about the injustice of it all. You can just rub his back lightly and he will calm down but it only lasts for a minute before starting up again. Bedtime now is taking an hour/hour and a half where before it was 20 mins, tops. Sometimes after an hour of trying to settle him I just get him up and he hangs with us in the lounge for a while and then I try the whole thing again. Half the problem I think is that he rolls over onto his stomach them immediately gets up on hands and knees.. so he's mostly asleep, up off the mattress with his eyes closed and bellowing.

He's fighting naps through the day too.

I've found he goes down easier if I give him a bottle while he's lying in his cot, which I've always been reluctant to do in case it creates some sort of feed-to-sleep pattern for him, where he won't go down without. I think up until the other day I had done it twice in the last 6 months, but now it's getting more frequent.

Is there a way to help him through the whole separation anxiety thing? Is the fighting sleep a symptom of it too? Is giving him a bottle in his bed to help him get to sleep during this time going to cause issues and make him reliant on it in the future?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Ben Davis posted:

Iwik, I noticed that when my son learned to roll over, to get on all 4s, to sit up, to crawl, and to pull up, his sleep went to total poo poo each time. I bet you in a week it'll be a bit better. (I also say this every page or so, but 6 months is a great time to introduce a lovey to snuggle--K has a rabbit and a musical seahorse with him)

What's the best sort of thing to use? One of those little heads-on-a-blanket things? A sock monkey / stuffed toy? Should I make sure it doesn't have any sort of noise making things like rattles or that crinkly material?

Do you use it only at bedtime & naptime? Do you take it with you when out and about? What about while feeding, would I make him hold it during his bottles throughout the day? He already has a seahorse for sleeping and we've been using it since he was tiny wee.

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

I suppose the one thing I can be thankful for is that when he's (finally) down for the night, that's generally it until morning. I can still put him in his playpen alone for a while too, I guess he doesn't freak out too much because it's a familiar place for him.

Today he's been doing lots of downward dog type poses, looks quite amusing.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Well, little dude has learnt to crawl, sortof.
I can only describe the style so far as a very drunk person trying to crawl through thick mud. It's getting better though.
Plus, a tooth has just popped through.

His sleep has gotten much better over the couple of nights since the tooth (which is still only tiny but it's there! A tiny little razor peeking up out of the gum) and the start of proper forward movement.
He's going down really easily again, which is lovely.

Hurray!

Bonus:
Kid in playpen (pen is about 5x5 feet), he doesn't take up much space yet.

He likes playing with my laptop keyboard, so we got him one of his own.

I like to call this one 'OMG, they said WHAT!?'

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
When Soren was getting fussy when he was tiny I used to plop him in one of these bouncer things with the vibrate on and the music setting (it also has heartbeat and waterfall noises) and he would settle and sleep quite well. Perhaps an hour or two, which was enough for me to catch a few zz's on the couch at the same time.

We have one of those 5 seater corner couches, so we put one of those big U pillows in the corner & he was quite happy to sleep up with us, I think he felt cosy all nestled into the pillow. I swaddled him in the very beginning too, in the pillow - double hugs. We used to feed him there too, he would doze off after a bottle and we would just leave him there to sleep. I'd just sit nearby and watch TV or tinker on the laptop, it didn't bother him.

If he was sleeping he stayed where he was. Sometimes it meant he was sleeping on the couch with us until we went to bed, then of course he went into his cot during the night.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
We just got a second tooth through, so he's now sporting two little ivory nubs in his bottom gums. Woo!
Makes me sad though, my little cuddly lump is not so lumpy any more.

I think he likes the feeling of them in his mouth because he keeps sticking his tongue out and smacking his lips - similar to when you feed a dog peanut butter and they lick their chops for the next 5 minutes.

Tylenol is Paracetamol-based yeah? I give him Baby Paracetamol and then when necessary I give him a dose of Children's Ibuprofen to help with any inflammation.

He loves to chew stuff, especially this penguin, also a lot of those teething rusks. When he gets grizzly he gets popped in the high chair and given one, it keeps him happy and amused for ages.
The dogs love it too and know that he will drop it eventually, so they circle him like little fluffy landsharks.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I have a question about feeding solids. Or a couple really.

He is just over 6 months now, when do I start making him have 3 'meals' a day? Cereal breakfast, and some sort of veg/meat combo for lunch & dinner?
I've been giving him some purees & mash for a small lunch, followed by a bottle. Not quite every day just yet, just trying to transition him into foody things.

For the extra meals do I just give him some cereal & fruit when I would normally give him a bottle at breakfast time? Then a bottle afterward as a top up? Same with dinner?

Do I still keep up the same amount of bottles he would have through the day? He doesn't wake or feed overnight.

If I wanted to attempt some of those baby led weaning type meals, how soft do you steam the vegies? I know they have to be soft enough to mush in their mouth, but what about in their hands? When they pick it up should it be giving way and mooshing in their fingers or is that too soft?
What are the best sort of vegies to use for that? Carrots? Pumpkin? Potato? Stuff that can be cut into batons? When do you introduce pasta? What sort of pasta? Like Penne and those large spirals?

I should really get some of those food books or something.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

SassySally posted:

Perfectly happy to sit in the high chair and play with a spoon. That's what we're sticking with for now. :) Yay.

Weird baby sizing

Same here, he'll be all about what we're eating if it's something he can't have. We were eating corn chips last week and he kept trying to grab them out of our hands, when we told him no and moved our hands away he then dove for the packet they came from.
The two of us also had a disagreement at a birthday party we went to the other day when he wanted the tiny cupcake I was eating. He looked like a little gnome in his party hat, hah.

But stick him in the highchair and he's more interested in the spoon than what is on it. I guess if it can't choke him it's not worthy of his attention.

A few friends of mine and I are constantly comparing our boys all born within a 6 week period. It's just so interesting to see how the growth and development varies amongst kids around the same age - the oldest one (mine) is the smallest of the three and the most mobile while the youngest is a huge giant babby that is way bigger the other two in height and weight.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
My little man got a bit vomity when he was getting his current teeth. Since they've come through he's been a happy chappy with no excess dribbling, no spit up and it's lovely to know that I can keep a shirt on him without it being sopping wet after an hour.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Alterian posted:

I have a month until we're going to start getting Jasper to sleep in his crib instead of the co-sleeper next to our bed. :cry:

We put him in his crib occasionally now if we need to set him somewhere for a few minutes and he's taken a couple of naps in it. The big issue is he's really good at getting a leg/arm stuck through the slats. I've been reading conflicting things about bumpers. Some say they're ok, some say they aren't ok, some say the breathable ones are ok, but not to use them when they can sit on their own. He's already half sitting on his own now and I imagine he'll be a lot better at it in a month from now. I'm already planning to lower the crib when he's in it for good, but I'm not sure what to do about the bumper.

I use an AirWrap on our cot because Soren used to do the same thing. I think the problem we had with him was that he liked to rest his feet on the rails and one would slip through, because now he rests them on the mesh between.

Also Bamzilla - Soren did the cutting teeth, crawling, sitting and now pulling up all at the same time too. Little brains in overdrive.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Yeah, I do. Normally he's a pretty good baby, but every time he turns into a little horror for a while it's normally coinciding with him being at one of the wonder week age stages. And it's normally something to do with what they say is the issue.

I don't use it as a hard and fast rule, but it's interesting nonetheless to compare and contrast what they say is happening to his little mind/body and what he is doing.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Hey Fionnoula, I think I recall you saying that the marbling in Liam's eyes was a distinctive feature of Williams Syndrome, is it generally only found in people with that condition?

I just ask because I saw a little girl at the supermarket last night and she had the most interesting eyes, they were a really pale blue - like an ice blue - and they looked like they may have had a bit of marbling in them, but I wasn't sure (they were so light in colour the white marble didn't stand out as well as Liam's) and I thought it was a bit creepy to stare to check it out more thoroughly.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Fionnoula posted:

Some people just have awesome looking eyes, I guess :)

Yeah, they were really pretty & interesting.

(Just for the record, I wasn't looking at her thinking 'Well, hey. William's Syndrome', it was 'Oooh, pretty.. hm, was that a thing?')

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Oh man, every time I see taller people pushing umbrella strollers my back aches in sympathy. Those things are always so low, I guess that's the price you pay for their compactness though.

I've seen Maclaren strollers with adjustable handles, they are similar to the umbrella kind but are fancier (and more expensive) than your average $20 umbrella stroller though.

iwik fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 27, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
So! Little man has decided that nappy changes and getting dressed is akin to skinning him alive or something. We have wailing and screaming and flailing and nudie runs, well, crawls anyhow.

Is he just trying to assert his independence? He is 8 months now, 20 pounds, and developing a mouthful of teeth - 4 so far, with one just breaking through and 3 more on the brink. Sure makes it interesting when he decides to give you a big kiss on the cheek and doesn't aim properly.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

ChloroformSeduction posted:

It also depends on your car - beyond the infant car seat, my car simply could not fit a rear-facing seat (this was a sports coupe), unless it was pretty much upside down. My kid went over the weight limit on his bucket seat at about 6 months (and you can't do forward facing before a year here, if memory serves), so there were a few months where if we were planning a car outing, I had to take him in his dad's car. Even when he was a year, I had to spend a good chunk of time with the installer at the car store to find a seat that fit and installed properly in my car. The manufacturer's website did have a list of seats that would fit in the car, but most of them were American, so it wasn't all that helpful.

Yeah, we have only one car which is on the small side and even though we bought one of those compact convertible seats, we've just flipped him round to face forwards because it was getting too hard to get him in and our of the thing now that he is older and bigger and more fighty. He was over the weight that the seat specifications said he can forward face at which was 8kg (17-18lbs) and what our current car seat regulations state. We always had to finesse him around the anchor strap which was fine and dandy when he was small and floppy, but with him now being less manoeuvrable we almost had to hit him on the roof of the car to put him in the seat - in fact it happened quite often. And on the car door frame. We really couldn't keep him that way for much longer else he wouldn't fit between the strap and the roof.

The ISOFIX system was officially approved for use in Australia a couple of weeks ago, woo.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Re: Ikea Chair chat, we have 3 of the things, one in each colour. One lives in our house, one at my parent's house and one at their work where he hangs out some days. When he was smaller and didn't quite have the full independent sitting up thing happening, we used one of the Barnslig cushions to pad it out a bit and provide support.

It's winter here now and so many of Soren's t-shirts still fit him so I just layer him up, Sheldon style. Long sleeve shirt or onesie underneath a t-shirt. Means I can still make use of all his various clothing things before he grows out of them. Works a treat.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
We love the seahorse too, when Soren went to bed I used his hand to turn it on and eventually he twigged. Now he turns it on himself when he wakes up. The good thing about him being used to it when going off to sleep is that when he rolls over onto it while he's sleeping he doesn't wake up (and he does a lot - the boy is like a fish out of water while sleeping, flip flopping all over the place).

When he is in the toy inbetweeny stage I just get the toys for the next age bracket that I figure are ok for him to play with and supervise closely. I find most of the time it's just that they require a bit more coordination for the kid to use properly, so I let him flail at them and if he hits the button and makes the lights flash and the thing go woo, then hurray!

I can't believe my little dude is going to be a year old in 8 weeks, that is crazy ridiculous.

Edited to add: I got this great advice from this forum about introducing a lovey.

Ben Davis posted:

I say this a lot, but my doc said 6 months was a fine age to introduce a small, firmly-stuffed comfort object into the crib at night. We started by nursing with it, and I tucked it into my bra for a while so it'd smell like me, then I'd wrap his little arm around it in the crib. We also put the musical seahorse in there and played it when we left the room and it was time for him to go to bed. Eventually he'd roll over and hit it himself and fall back asleep.

iwik fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 27, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I was wandering around Target one day and saw that Tizzie Hall book on the shelf, so I read the introduction. Then the first chapter.
Then I put it back on the shelf and walked away shaking my head. It just made no sense to me, babies are weird and fickle and you just have to roll with the punches rather than try and dictate to a small angry person.

In sad news, The Seahorse of Wonder shat itself this evening. I am grieving and planning to hit the store for another tomorrow. The boy seems to be sleeping fine without though.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Soren started at daycare a couple of weeks ago, but the thing I found great about the ones around here is that they have an 'open door policy' where if you are interested in putting your kid there, they have you come in a few times first for an hour or couple at a time so your child has a chance to play and get used to the place, while you get to thoroughly check the facilities and watch how they do things to make sure you're happy with them - no charge.

It was pretty neat, because we were there before he was dropped off for his first full day, when I put him down he just crawled away and started playing and I just stood at the door and was all 'Um, bye?'
When picked him up at the end of the day, I was told he was fine all day. Played, ate, slept. No crying, no grizzling, no tantrums, just happy - I was fully expecting a phone call to ask me to come get him for the same reason as yours Professor Bananas. They even gave me a little laminated photo of him playing and a run down of his first day at daycare as a memento.
He's there a couple of days a week, he seems to enjoy it. They can get him to eat his fruit, he won't with me.

They had a few unsettled kids when I went for our first play date, they had 2 newish babies plus one little fellow who had deaf parents (but his hearing was fine) who was just dropped off without having been there first, he was in sensory overload because of all the noise and carry on.

Sure, they had their hands full, but all of them were settled and calmed down - they would just sit with two in their laps and rock and shush until all were fine. If needs be they grab someone else to help them out for a few minutes to calm all the kids down, so I wouldn't worry that your child is left alone to wail and cry. They would be doing all they could to calm him down first, before having to call you.

As a side question, what did you do for your child's first birthday? A proper party or just a family BBQ or something with a cake? I have 3 weeks and have to decide what to plan.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Helena Handbasket posted:

Hi thread, I picked up a seahorse for Lyddie after reading about how so many people in here loved it, and she loves it too! She fell asleep listening to it on her very first night with it.

I did just find a somewhat alarming thing about it, though, when checking the Amazon reviews - it seems to have an overheating problem when the batteries are changed, especially (specifically?) when replaced with rechargeable batteries. This YouTube video shows the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8Q6mnpRAM. The coil gets red-hot and singes the plastic. Several consumer-reported incidents along the same lines on SaferProducts.gov as well.

Has anyone run into this problem? Is it safe with non-rechargeable batteries?

Oooh, mine did that the other week!! I was changing the batteries out and smelt something burning, looked down and it did exactly that, in the same place and all.

I was replacing regular batteries with rechargeable ones when it happened, for the first time ever.

I haven't bought a new seahorse yet because he's been sleeping fine with it sans batteries.

I was thinking of taking it back to where I bought it and getting a replacement because it's under a year old, and therefore still under warranty, but I don't have my receipt still and don't know if they will accept it or not.

iwik fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 5, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I think it depends on the meat, really.

I used to fry up some chicken, leeks and peas (all together, same pot) until they were cooked & soft, then blitz them either with a stick blender or in the food processor. Turned out a bit like pate, but then I'd make up a cheese sauce and some mash and stir it through, so really it was more like a fancy mashed potato.

I also would cook up some beef or chicken mince and pulse in the food processor until it was really fine - I didn't add any liquid so it wouldn't get pureed - then portion it out so I could add it to anything. I had frozen portions of pureed vegetables so it was easy to just mix & match. It was such a fine grind that it didn't require chewing, it just added a bit of texture (and protein) to whatever else he had.

If you're making vegetable purees already then it's not going to make it horrid if you add a little cooked meat to it while you're blending it all up.

No way would I try and puree fresh meat, that would be nasty. I cooked it all first.

iwik fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 6, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
So! My boy is One! That is crazy and ludicrous because I swear I brought him home only the other day.

He started proper walking in the week leading up to his birthday, so zoomed around all day. I ended up having his birthday at the cafe that I work at and leased a spare room in the complex so the kids were all contained. A group of us with babies around the same age normally meet there as a play day/mothers group/general gossip session, so I just held the party on that day so it wasn't out of anyone's schedule.

His new skill in action.

Loving cupcakes.

It's been two weeks since the big day and it seems like a switch got turned on in his little head because all of a sudden he's understanding more complex things and mimicking what you do, it's the weirdest thing. I'm loving it though, he's a real little person and so independent! Wants to do everything himself.

Now that he's technically a toddler, at what point are you supposed to stop using bottles? Do you just move from a bottle to a sippy cup for milk through the day? He has one of those straw cups full of water during his meals and it sits on the coffee table so he can help himself all day when he gets thirsty. He generally has a bottle of formula when he goes down for naps & at bedtime - so he'll have 3-4 bottles a day roughly. Should I be starting to cut the number of bottles down slightly?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
He has little sips of my milk if I have a glass, so I know he likes it. He's just started to 'tell' us he wants to have what we're eating/drinking by pointing and smacking his lips (I think if he's hungry/thirsty as well, he'll walk up to you making lip smacky kissy noises). I've been working on him saying "Ta" and it's just starting to kick in.

Should I be replacing his formula with a glass of regular milk? Or should he still be having that in the meantime? He won't sit still and drink a bottle normally, the only way to get him to finish one is to put him in his bed and he'll drain it then go to sleep when it's finished - that's why he only has bottles at naps & bedtime. Otherwise he will just take little sips of it and drag it round the house with him and take like an hour to drink half.

I might have to get a special milk sippy cup for him, his daycare warned me off using the straw cups for milk because they see so many parents use it for both and the cups (especially at the top where the straw meets cup) can get really gross.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Soren has about 600-800ml/up to 28oz a day of formula (which is one that can go through to 24 months), once he started eating more through the day it was easier to drop formula feeds. I've just started dropping his first bottle of the morning, when he gets up now he gets a bowl of cereal and then a little while later a piece of toast. He'll have a nap in the morning with a bottle, then morning tea, then lunch, bottle & nap, then afternoon tea, dinner, bottle & bed. He goes to daycare 2 days a week so I just use something similar to their feed/nap routine when he's at home.

He always has his straw water cup available to help himself to, so will have nearly 16oz of water some days - especially now that it's coming into summer and the days are getting warmer.

How do you get kids to eat fruit? He will eat it if it's IN a thing (eg. fruit & custard) but give him pieces of fruit and he just throws it to the dogs. Won't even take a bite, but will happily feed it to me. I've tried all sorts and it's no go.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

In my area in Australia they've recently added chickenpox to the 18month immunisations, it used to be scheduled around the 2year mark.

http://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/immunisation/young-children/index.html

Nicest thing about the immunisations at 18mo is it's now just a single jab in the arm, not the two in the legs deal it was for all the earlier ones.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
My son has just discovered the dog door and now takes himself outside at every opportunity.
Normally he just likes to go say hi to the chickens and check for eggs, or he plays with his toys or tries to play with the hose.

Luckily our yard is fully fenced so he can't get out, and I find it amusing that it took until he was 2 to figure out he could go out the magic dog portal too. Sometimes he even comes back in.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
My 26 month old will not drink milk from anything else other than a bottle, unless it's chocolate milk from our local supermarket which you can get in a tiny little bottle with a sports type 'pop' top. But if you try cleaning the bottle when he's finished and filling it with regular milk it's a no-go.

Like Sockmuppet and gninjagnome's little people he won't do a sippy cup. We have tried like 4-5 different types/styles with milk and none of them worked.

With water though, from the time he was about 10-11 months he would take water from a straw cup, because it's quite warm here then I could just leave it on his table and he would help himself when he was thirsty.

He's been using a proper cup at mealtimes since he was around 18 months I think. While we're out and about and for daycare he has one of these.. http://www.tommeetippee.com.au/product/two-stage-drinker-400ml/ . At my parent's house he likes to use a little plastic wine glass.

We have had some success lately with 'milk from cup' as the drinking converter ring from that fits his bottles, so we have used a bottle as a cup and he's accepted it once or twice. Or character plastic glasses (Thomas and Peppa Pig) with a regular drinking straw. But the planets have to align perfectly or something for him to accept and finish it.

He is down to 1 bottle a day, which is for his midday nap, so I guess once he drops the nap the need for milk in bottle will go too.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
It's strange, I think of my son a few months ago when he turned two and was like.. yep. Toddler, still babyish.
Now at 2.5 he's had some sort of brain explosion or something and he's like, a proper little boy. With opinions, and very strong likes and dislikes.

He wasn't talking a huge amount but now he's really coming along. We have a weird thing now though where some of his words are backwards.

Ask him his name and he will tell you he is 'Nonoss!' (Soren) There are a few other words he does backwards too, is this just a development thing?

He toilet trained himself in a matter of days, and we only have an accident maybe once a week - and mostly because he holds on for too long.
Overnight we are only putting him in those training pull-ups, and he is dry a few nights in a row, then a small accident, then dry again.

What did you do for toilet training overnight? Should we just put him in regular underpants and if he wets then he'll learn to get up and go when he needs to? Or should we hold out until he is dry for a full week then give it a go?

He sleeps with his bedroom door closed, without a nightlight, and has ever since day dot. So we could put his potty in his room to use overnight if he needs to, but should we start to have a nightlight on? Or should we put one of those sensor based ones by his potty so it comes on when he is using it and goes off when he is back in his bed?

Psychopath input: He likes to come up, pretend to take a bite out of your cheek and then say 'Eat!' while pointing to his teeth with a big toothy grin. My son pretends to eat people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
It is super neat to watch how his language develops over time. Loving the fact he can ask for things by name, instead of grunting and pointing.

It's hilarious watching him when 'Raa Raa the Noisy Lion' or 'Tree Fu Tom' come on telly, and he shouts the names of the characters out as they are introduced.. even though they sound nothing like them at least he's giving it a good shot.
Well, except for Raa Raa. He has that one down pat.