Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

My solution was to make a very small child - she can't reach the fridge door :v:

Nor can mine yet, but he knows how to grab the edge of the fridge door and pull.

We just let him go in the fridge, we put anything that is 'his' front and centre on the bottom shelf so he can help himself when he gets hungry.
Normally it works, he grabs himself fruit or a tub of yoghurt or whatever else we have there for him & closes the door once he's finished.
I figure if he's going to get in there, may as well show him what to do, where his stuff is kept & what he's allowed.

Anything that shouldn't be touched is put up and out of the way, or hidden behind other things.

We have his bowls, plates & cutlery in a drawer at his level too, so he can grab what he needs. Spoons for yoghurt or cereal, bowl/plate for other snacks/meals.

Luckily, the only cupboard in our house he has any sort of inclination to open is the one in the laundry that has the washing powder - he likes to put it in the washing machine. It is normally locked but sometimes we do forget to click the plastic across the front or manages to open it himself. We have a front loader and every so often we'll go to put on a load of washing to find there is a few items of clothing in the machine and the drawer already has the powder in it thanks to his 'helping'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Thankfully we've not had too many 'ohshit' moments after that first time loading the kiddo in the car & leaving the hospital.
During his cruising the furniture stage he fell and twomped his face on the side of our rather solid coffee table, biting straight through his lip giving himself a good gash inside and out. It required glueing - the screams he made at the doctors when they applied glue to his face was 10x worse than when he had actually hurt himself. He still has a fine scar almost1cm long that runs along his lip line.

Not long ago I was out at shopping centre with a playground in the middle of it with seating & coin operated rides surrounding it . Soren was inside, playing away and I was standing by a ride that had various vehicles on it. I was watching him and out of the corner of my eye saw a toddler standing on the windshield of a car, then stepping over to stand on the dash of the the motorbike that was in front of it - only noticed because all of a sudden a small head was in my line of sight. I looked at her & she was balanced precariously and started to fall. I grabbed her by the waist and lifted her over to the motorbike and said 'Woops! That was close'.
Her mother, that was standing on the other side of the ride, sort of rolled her eyes at me and said 'thanks' in an annoyed tone. Did I overstep the mark? Should I have let the kid fall? She was busy chatting with another woman on the other side of the ride and the little girl was right in front of me, like a footstep away.

In Toileting news, we have been putting him in underpants overnight for the last 2 weeks and he's only had 2 accidents and they were more of an overflow leak, just getting damp enough to wake up then we would pop him on the toilet and he'd finish up, then go back to sleep. I was expecting heaps more damage & midnight sheet changes but he's not even wet the bed at all, just his underpants.
It seems to have coincided with when he'd had a lot to drink leading up to bedtime so that's something I'll have to keep an eye on.

Not counting chickens yet though, we could travel along this same path for a very long while, but I'm considering it an awesome start.

Re: Poop Chat - I've heard of people putting onesies on backwards during naps to stop the kid from being able to get at any poop. Not sure how well that works with toilet training though, especially if you have a potty in her room to use if she needs to.

My dogs will try to make a snack of poop - sometimes taking it right out of the potty if Soren doesn't close the lid when he's done and I'm not close by to do it straightaway.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
When my boy was itty bitty, he was a wee polar bear.

Being born at the end of September, he really only got to wear his bear suit a couple of times before the weather got too hot.
When this picture was taken we were out for dinner & the security/door man of the place we were at started laughing as I walked by. He explained that he thought I had a teddy bear in the pram and was looking around for the kid it belonged to, thinking it had run off while I walked in. Then he saw the face below the ears and realised his error.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Oodles posted:

My contribution, holy crap potty training. How can see be so engrossed in something she doesn't realise she needs a wee.

I know, right? We joke that the boy is a Spaniel - he gets completely involved in something and has blinkers on to anything else going on around him.

"Do you need to wee?"
"No, mum"

"Do you need to do wees?"
"NO, mum"

"Oi, buddy. Need do wees?
"SIGH. TSK. NO, MUM" <eyeroll>

"WEES! WEEEEEES! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!" <frantic running on the spot beside the toilet>

Yet when we're out and about he's good as gold and tells me in plenty of time that he has to wee. Must just be because at home he has all his things that he can focus on, but when we're out shopping there's nothing really exciting enough to take over 100% of the brainspace.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
One of our National Broadcasters has a channel that from 6am-7pm is nothing but kids TV shows. It tends to run the days that we're home as background noise - he'll pay attention to the shows that interest him inbetween pretending to fish or playing with Duplo, drawing, play doh ... whatever his indoor activity is at the time.

I'm ok with that, he does plenty of other things that offset his screen time, but it's quite interesting to see the things he HAS learnt from the TV and watch him intereact with the shows - calling out the colours and shapes with Mister Maker, counting with the Num Tums, dancing at the Wiggles.

The broadcaster also has an app to watch the shows/music videos. When he wants the music I fire it up on my tablet and Big Block SingSong is currently being played all the time. It's cute and quirky and pretty neat, but my word does it make for some annoying ear worms.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Ansiktsburk posted:

I would loving kill for toddler/preschool-sized pants and shorts where the drawstrings actually worked and weren't just for show, though. Jesus.

Amen to that. I found that those pants with the fake ties actually do have an empty space around the top of the pants, so I started buying some of that grosgrain ribbon (that thicker weave stuff, not the satin type) and made my own additional drawstring by threading it round, using the holes they have for the fake ties.

My son is on the smaller side and is still wearing pants that he was wearing in his Christmas 2013 Santa photo. He's turning three in 6 weeks. (Lordy Lordy where did the time go?!)
Actually there are a couple of shorts from the same time he's still wearing. Only difference is that they're now just above his knees where they used to be at his shins. Haven't had to adjust the waist at all, seems he's just growing up & not out. Cost saving!

A majority of his pants are still size 1's (with the waists still cinched in) but the legs of some of his long pants are starting to creep above his ankles. Luckily winter is coming to an end so he'll still be able to wear them as longish shorts through summer.

iwik fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 7, 2015

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I started taking mine to the toilet while we were out and about, even if he said he didn't want to go. Each time we passed the restrooms/parent rooms we'd go in. Sometimes he'd pee, sometimes he howled in protest. I figured that frequent visits made them a not scary place.

Now he knows where all the toilets are at the local shopping centres so if we are walking past he will tell me that he needs to go and will head off down the corridor.

I guess part of the appeal is that the parent room doors slide open with a push of a button which is conveniently located at little person height, and inside there are TVs and wall games and comfy couches for sitting and waiting for the bathroom to be free.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I used to pop my son in the bottom of the shower with a couple of toys while I was having one, taking a little longer than usual.
The steam he was sitting in helped clear out a lot of gunk, it would just run out of it's own accord. Plus when he sneezed while in the shower it was a lot easier to clean away the snot goblins.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I gave Mister3 his options for dinner one night, after declining each one I asked him if he just wants to starve.
He was all "Yeah! Starb!"

Now he'll say "Want starb for tea mum."
I confirm "So, you don't want anything? No food for tea?"
"No, me wants to starb!"

"Mum? Can you make some starb?"

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I flipped my son from backward to forward facing when I kept thumping him on the interior roof of the car as I was trying to get him into his seat.
Small car plus an anchor strap going over the seat to the clip on the back of the car's seat made it really awkward to manoeuvre him in into it when he got bigger and more wiggly.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Bonoman, that's awful!

I'm glad she's feeling much better, at least she has nappy padding to protect the area.

I can feel for her, I've had something very similar (with surgery, drains & all!) which developed out of nowhere. It's not fun.

eta: a bottle of water (like a sport one with the squirty nozzle) works well to rinse the area after poop. Saves a lot of hurty wiping.

iwik fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 1, 2016

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Yep, fistula's are nasty - that's where mine ended up. I had all the right stuff done in the first place, but one developed a few months later, the intial abcess point didn't quite heal properly internally.
Just make sure you keep a good eye on it for a decent amount of time, just to make sure it's all hunky dory. If it is still weeping a good while after the drains have been removed get it checked again. Things are sneaky.

Vorpal Bunny: Have a great time around Brisbane, it's a lovely area. For a rundown of events and things to do in whatever area you'll be in a good reference is http://www.brisbanekids.com.au/
Australia Zoo is around 1.5hrs north of Brisbane (just over 2hrs from Gold Coast) but is a fantanstic day out. Mister 3.5 loves it there, it's good for all ages.

iwik fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 2, 2016

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Oh yeah. When they say 100km/h they mean 100km/h. Hah.

They tend to have speed cameras mounted under bridges and things, or on the toll roads.

Sometimes it's a police van on the side of the road with a speed camera in the back.

Either way, it hurts the pocket.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
First words were the general mum/dad/dog.
He also used to say 'there it is', as one big word, no pause between the words when he was about 11months.

Where's the boat?
'ThereItIs!'

Can you see [person]?
'ThereItIs!

Though his speech has had a bit of a hiccup, while his vocabulary has increased a huge amount, his pronounciation is really not up to speed.
An audiologist has just diagnosed a middle ear issue with some hearing loss (mild one side, moderate the other) and has prescribed daily use of an otovent device for the next couple of months to help work out his Eustachian tubes.
He'll be retested then and if no real improvement has been made then we are off to an ENT for surgery, most likely grommets.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of device? Did it help?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Congrats on the adoption Vorpal Bunny!

Strangest thing, we are only1 week out from winter, yet the boy went swimming at the beach on the weekend for a couple of hours.
The days are still lovely, warm & sunny... summer hasn't really finished. We've not had an autumn at all, really.
It's just starting to get a little brisk first thing in the morning and late at night but through the day it's still 28-30 C (mid 80's F).

Hopefully the weather keeps up for your trip soon!

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I started whining back at S, it seemed to work to stop him doing it so often. He didn't like it much, hah.

VorpalBunny - how did you go with the long flights and your trip?

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I think we got away with it easily, all my son wanted were high 5's when he went in the potty/toilet.

We probably cheated a bit, we sat him down on his potty & gave him his tablet to play on around the time he'd normally go, when he was relaxed/distracted he went. Then it was high 5's aplenty.
He was so chuffed when he did it on his own.

We moved the potty closer to the toilet each day and when it was down the other end of the house in the bathroom sometimes we wouldn't realise what he was doing until he would come running down the hall, all excited and yelling 'Poos! I did Poos!!!! Poooooooos!'

We visited toilets everywhere so he would get used to going at places that weren't home. Even if he didn't wee while we were there, he got used to sitting on a strange throne.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Alterian posted:

Heaven for-loving-bid I cut the toast in triangles this morning.

They turn into angels when they turn 4, right? Its like a switch?

We had tears for an hour a couple of weeks ago when I cut a sandwich into triangles.
Apparently that was an 'up' sandwich, and he didn't want an up sandwich, he wanted a 'down' one.

.. Down was squares. Yeah.

Every little person I know lately that has turned 4 has somehow turned 14 instead, with attitude, demands and oh-so-many opinions. Luckily it only lasts a matter of weeks before they return to being somewhat normal.

Mine has just hit that magic number, I am waiting for the chaos to begin.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Another who's little person refused sippy cups of all shapes and sizes.

We just went with either normal plastic cups (with his favourite characters) at home, then for out and about (and daycare) had both this http://www.tommeetippee.com.au/product/active-tipper-350ml/ and this http://www.tommeetippee.com.au/product/two-stage-drinker-400ml/

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I don't think you'd have too much to worry about, I've not seen any playgroup or play centre or anything deny a child an activity because they were big for their age.

If they are the same level developmentally then there shouldn't be an issue.

I have the opposite problem, my son is only a little dude. At 4.5 he is on average about 2-3" shorter than his peers (and for the tall ones, he only comes up to their shoulders, hah).
He gets mistaken for being younger, but that's easily corrected. I just say he's compact.

In terms of descrimination though, I was just told by one of his swimming instructors that a kid that attends one of the lessons with my son was moved out of it and into another by their parent because 'I don't want my child swimming with a baby.'

The swim school groups kids in lessons based on ability rather than age... the instructor laughed and said there was only 6 months between the two kids, and the parent was being a bit of a goose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I started him when he was around 14 months, after we went to a birthday party for one of his little friends and he just ploughed into the water in the baby pool, walking toward the deep end and tried to keep going even after his feet left the ground.

Figured he needed some water sense after that.

He does 2 x 1/2 hr lessons a week and while a good portion of it is spent on learning to swim (freestyle, backstroke) they still spend a few minutes on safety aspects and get them to fall in, turn around and swim back to an edge.