Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

boquiabierta posted:

Any advice for how to sleep train while sharing a room? We’re still room-sharing with our four-month-old but are starting to think about moving him into his brother (3 year old)‘s room. But how tf do we do sleep training without torturing the toddler, and by extension us? Do we sleep train him in our room and only move him out when he’s trained?

We are in the process of sleep training our 3-month old and it isn’t too bad. We trained in our room. First night she cried for 50 minutes before sleeping, woke up at 4am and cried for 20 minutes. Second night she cried for 20 minutes, woke up again at 2am, cried for 10 minutes. Third night she cried for 5 minutes, then she cried for about 10 minutes at 5am. All in all it hasn’t been that bad, I thought it was going to be much worse. Hardest part is not interfering with her as it can cause regressions in training. She is now napping longer and putting herself back to sleep more easily during the day. That could be because she started rolling into her stomach last night, which made sleep training even more stressful, and seems to be tiring her out as she can’t stop doing it during back time…

So I guess all in all I would say you can do it in your room, might get woken up a couple times, but hopefully it goes well for you like it has for us!

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
So our 3.5 month old has started squealing like a stuck pig, or maybe a banshee… is this the new state of things? Giving me and my wife massive headaches. She does it when she is happy, angry, wants attention, doesn’t want attention, just always

Please tell me she will go back to a scream instead, it’s much less piercing…

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

boquiabierta posted:

Can you do sleep training for naps as well as nighttime? Can you START sleep training on naps or is it better to start at night?

What we did (and what our pediatrician recommended) was make nights work, then naps are easier. After nights worked out, which only took a few days, naps followed quickly with much less crying

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

whiskas posted:

Say I have a sleeping baby cradled in my arms. Technique on how to lay them down in crib without waking them? The moment I slide my arm out from under their head they go full :siren:

Sometimes it is impossible, get comfy in the bed with your phone and the baby…

Generally I would try to keep my hand at the base of the head so my fingers could slip out in the gap between the crib and neck and I always put feet down first and lowered body slowly after to minimize movement. Another thing that worked was to use a heating pad and warm up the crib a bit before putting baby down to lessen temp shock that can come with rocking -> bassinet/crib (obviously remove pad before putting baby down

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

A Bad King posted:

Our youngest would starve himself for 8 hours instead of taking a bottle. Then he would nurse each boob dry twice over when The Mom returned from work.

Please don't think this is abnormal. The bottle is a lie, it is false, to the precious. It's kind of cute as it is a bit terrifying. Enjoy being a toddler's favorite, it's the best. :) If nothing gets done, you have two healthy and happy gremlins. Horror vacui is a good philosophical outlook with parenting littles; just accept that there will never be a single empty space in your life going forward and do what you can.

Any tips for the bottle refusers? Our kid is starting daycare in sept and she currently has no interest in the bottle at 6 months old.

Unrelated, but she has has gotten very good at pulling herself up (on week 2 of it) and now she pretty much won’t go to sleep when she is the right amount of tired. We put her in the crib when she is tired and she just stands up and cruises the edges of the crib until she is completely wiped out and literally can’t stand anymore. It’s been like 15 minutes of it now and she has finally laid down 😞 it’s made her naps even harder since she pulls herself up until she is overtired. Very frustrating I hope she gets over it soon. At least she figured out how to sit down after some of teaching, it was horrible when she would get up and then be stuck there.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

nachos posted:

The gently caress am I supposed to do with this 4 year old in my house for the next 5 full days?

We are at grandmas and have given our ten month old access to the Tupperware cabinet. It is entertaining watching her take all of it out, climb all the way in to get the stuff at the back, put stuff she doesn’t want back in, etc.

Also thanks grandma for keeping the 30 year old baby toys, she is loving pulling the cricket around

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

dismas posted:

my oldest kid (preemie) never figured out breast feeding and now younger kid refuses to use a bottle. And I swear the monkeys paw has fewer fingers extended than before

We had trouble with bottles up through about 7.5 months (either no drinking or like .5oz) when we found the magic combination of formula (Kendamil, can get at target), making the formula hot (like 110F), and using a bigger nipple size on our comotomo bottles (went up to 3). She didn’t like reheated breast milk as much, wouldn’t finish it. We also had to try a bunch of bottles to find one she liked. We also tried open cups, straw cups, soft nipple sippy cups, everything. Upside is that she can use a straw well at 10 months I guess. I really hope it starts to click for you guys, very frustrating having the baby not want to eat!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have any experience with suppositories for getting medicine into a 1 year old who just hates the syringe? She screams and violently twists around when I get it to her mouth. I have to hold her mouth open and squeeze her cheeks to make sure she doesn’t just spit the medicine all out. Overall it sucks and breaks my heart

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

RCarr posted:

I realize it’s in everyone’s best interest to get him to be able to sleep on his own, but my wife wants to throw in the towel.

Does anyone have any advice? Anything I can tell her to comfort her? Any evidence this is not crippling our poor son’s wellbeing?

Help

We sleep trained at 3.5ish months (cio) and the first couple nights are rough. She was already night weaned at this point and we did it because she had regressed from 6-7 hour blocks a night to waking every 2 and couldn’t put herself back to sleep. Basically we just let her cry, it sucked. First night was 40ish minutes, second was 20ish (she learned to roll into her stomach at this point which was very anxiety inducing), third was 5ish. For a while she would just go to sleep. There was also a point where she started to feed to sleep for a couple months during naps and before sleep, but she figured it out. She still slept through the night at this point, just needed two feeds per wake window. I think she grew a bunch during this time, but we don’t have any actual information for that. Recently we had a minor regression when she went down to one nap and started walking a lot more about a ~month ago, it is getting better though. So backslides do happen, but she can put herself back to sleep well which is the important part.

Generally we give her 5-10 minutes at this point and she almost always goes to sleep in less than 5, if she has her head down she will fall asleep even if she is mad about being there. We have a routine before hand (we each have our own routine, both seem to work) where we read and sing for a bit before putting her down. Since we did sleep training I can only think of a handful of nights she didn’t sleep through. For comparison she has never slept a lot (according to charts online) and is currently doing 10-11 hours each night with 2-2.5 hours during the day in an afternoon nap. She wants to be up and in the action, seems fair. YMMV obviously, we only have our one sample point, but it worked for us.

For how we did the cio, my wife had to watch her I couldn’t listen to her cry. I put in noise canceling headphones and hid, maybe your wife can do something similar and be a coward like me. Try to remember it is just a few nights, it’s not the end of the world for them to cry. Sure felt like it was though :/

Anyway, bit of ramble, but I’m writing the post in between activity changes so eh. Happy to answer any questions, pms or here

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

devmd01 posted:

My daughter has come over to specifically fart next to me twice this evening. They are really bad right now, thanks kid!

Just do it back

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

I saw mention on the parenting Reddit by a daycare instructor that it was abundantly obvious every summer which parents had kids aging into actual public school because they were the ones suddenly driving new cars.

We pay $17k/yr for daycare. Goddamn.

We pay 28.6k for 11 months, cheapest if the three we looked at in our area :confuoot:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone bought a busy board they really like? Too many options, hard to tell what is and isn’t garbage! Kid is 13 months old

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Burning Rain posted:

I'm just impressed with anyone who can do sleep training. I've tried doing it when my wife's been away, but the baby just starts wailing hysterically the second I put her down no matter how sleepy she is (unless she's already asleep) and I can't take it for more than a couple of minutes, even if I'm in the other room with all the doors shut. Neither can my wife, so we have a one-year-old who sleeps the first stint (2-3 hrs) in the cot and then moves to the bed for a couple more 3-4 hr stretches

Bust out your noise canceling headphones, mute the monitor, occasionally glance over to make sure baby is alive, suffer for a while to reap rewards for both you and baby

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

remigious posted:

Help, I can’t navigate social situations. My husband’s boss invited us to his kid’s birthday party. He said not to bring a gift. Do I really not bring a gift?? Seems wrong.

If they say no gift I’m not bringing a gift. I’d be annoyed if someone filled my house with yet more kid crap I didn’t want in the first place

Bring a card if you want, but depending on age this is basically just garbage can fodder anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Eeyo posted:

You joke but I think this is actually one of the theories for why it’s recommended babies sleep in the same room as parents during early babyhood.

They get woken up more often from noises/parents and are less likely to get sids because of that.

That being said our boy was sleeping overnight in his own room before the recommended age so I’m not one to talk.

It’s the theory behind “back to sleep” isn’t it? Stomach they sleep too deeply? Not sure if it works that way, but “back to sleep” did work as far as I know